Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 09:13   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Taveras are so popular with with cabbies because of their legendary fuel economy, though plenty of them crib about the high cost of maintenance and front suspension issues. With the new engine proposed, the fuel economy ought to go up a tad more (smaller displacement common rail engine), and the high cost of engine parts should also come down. A win-win situation, hopefully.
Old 20th July 2010, 14:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

Good move..now what Gm needs is to give Tavera facelift a la Panther.This will also attract individual buyers rather than just cabs.For last couple of years, we are hearing a facelift in the pipeline( i think the pipe has choked)..
http://www.isuzu-astra.com/comm_img/wallpaper02.jpg
Old 7th April 2011, 21:30   #33
BHPian

ICML Sonalika Rhino stops production?

Is it true that ICML Rhino has stopped production & company will only build engines for BS4 Chevy Tavera?
Old 7th April 2011, 22:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: ICML Sonalika Rhino stops production?

I don't think it was selling that much. Luckily, their engine would get them more money than what the Rhino would have fetched them. who knows, they might just buy the dyes of Tavera when it goes out of production?
Old 13th April 2011, 17:05   #35
BHPian

I thought the engine too was not their own and licensed from some other manufacturer. In such a case, why wouldn't Chevy just buy the license themselves.

Further, it seems improbable that a company with its lineage in GM has no homegrown engine for its vehicles and needs to purchase engine from a small-time vehicle manufacturer in India.
Old 13th April 2011, 17:39   #36
BHPian

As far as the product RHINO is concerned the product was dead from beginning. It had serious reliability issues and also high speed stability issues. One of my friends owns Rhino, bought thinking that it will be a good option for value for money 8 seater but he is struck with it now as most of the dealership have now closed.

Now he has ample free time as he has no where to go for service as he used to visit twice a month to service center

ICML closing production is not surprising as the sales had almost stopped and dealerships leaving company.
Old 13th April 2011, 18:21   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd be happy if this news is true. The rhino was one shamelessly copied product. Right down to the qualis colour schemes.
Old 13th April 2011, 18:55   #38
BHPian

then what happened to that engine which is suppose come on the Tavera ?
Old 13th April 2011, 19:24   #39
BHPian

Hi Mates, AFAIK the Rhino had an outsourced 2.4Ltr Turbo-Diesel Isuzu engine. And the Tavera too sports the same. I could be wrong but when I checked the Rhino out 2 years back, I remember seeing an Isuzu under the hood.

However, it would be good for the company if it limits to selling Tractors (which it is good at) and unlike Mahindra which clicked, ICML didn't. But again Mahindra were already there and their success is just a natural progression after so many years. Time to bid Adieu to the RHINO!!!

Cherio
Champion
Old 13th April 2011, 20:55   #40
Senior - BHPian

The Rhino RX is being produced and it appears from the following link that only the old version is stopped. News item of today in Autocar Professional.

Autocar Professional
Old 13th April 2011, 21:53   #41
BHPian

I Do not think it is a isuzu Turbo engine , but it was a Rover Turbo engine , this is a variant of the Queens award winning Rover turbo desiel engine . was a blessing on pocket .
Old 14th April 2011, 01:04   #42
BHPian

Its good if they survive, good or bad they provide jobs to many. Also since I have personally seen & driven a year old Rhino with around 30K on the odo, I was pretty impressed.
Old 16th October 2011, 12:21   #43
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sonalika Engines to Power Tavera

The facelifted Chevy Tavera is seen doing cold weather testing in Manali, Himachal Pradesh as per Motorbeam:

2012 Chevrolet Tavera Facelift Spied | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

The engine is the 2L diesel mill from Sonalika that produces 100 BHP power, which also does duty on Sonalika Rhino. Since this engine meets BS4 norms, it means this muv can be back in BS4 cities.

How good is the Rhino engine, as one of my family friends who owns a taxi service in Haryana aren't exactly a fan of the same? Hope GM tune it better.
Old 16th October 2011, 20:04   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
The facelifted Chevy Tavera is seen doing cold weather testing in Manali, Himachal Pradesh as per Motorbeam:

2012 Chevrolet Tavera Facelift Spied | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

The engine is the 2L diesel mill from Sonalika that produces 100 BHP power, which also does duty on Sonalika Rhino. Since this engine meets BS4 norms, it means this muv can be back in BS4 cities.

How good is the Rhino engine, as one of my family friends who owns a taxi service in Haryana aren't exactly a fan of the same? Hope GM tune it better.

But, the comments which I received from a couple of Rhino Taxi drivers was very good. Both of them had high praises for the engine, especially the driveability.
shineshine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 00:24   #45
Team-BHP Support

I have a Rhino Taxi near my home and he manages to squeeze out 16kmpl+ most of the times. It spins at 90kmph@2,000 rpm and the Rhino has done over 2.5L and still running strong.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks