Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2010, 18:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Sonalika Engines to Power Tavera

Scoop: Sonalika engines in Tavera | Autocar India

The Tavera’s earlier engine, a 2.5-litre, was unable to comply with the BSIV emissions norms. This had forced GM to pull the vehicle out of some cities, resulting in a steep decline in Tavera sales.
GM now plans to re-launch the Tavera with a new BSIV-compliant engine by the end of this year. This unit will be a sub-2.0-litre CRDi unit which will be sourced from local car manufacturer, Sonalika. The max power is reported to be 100bhp. This unit is designed by Lotus for Sonalika and it also powers Sonalika’s own offering, the Rhino.
Old 16th July 2010, 18:15   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Scoop: Sonalika engines in Tavera | Autocar India

This unit will be a sub-2.0-litre CRDi unit which will be sourced from local car manufacturer, Sonalika. The max power is reported to be 100bhp. This unit is designed by Lotus for Sonalika and it also powers Sonalika’s own offering, the Rhino.
But didn't the Sonalika Rhino use a MG Rover sourced engine?
Old 16th July 2010, 18:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

They have been facing issues to source diesel engines for quite sometimes. Hope this helps. Also, the price may be reduced.
Old 16th July 2010, 19:13   #4
BHPian

I wonder if this shortcut will work to improve Tavera sales, especially if the Isuzu badge is not going to be seen anymore.

The engine on the current Rhino is quite noisy, I can only hope the CRDi mill will be better.

If it works, GM could be tempted to ask Sonalika to make a sub 1.5l from the same one.
Old 16th July 2010, 19:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Thats an interesting news. Kudos to Sonalika!
Gm couldnt get a good engine from their own stable?
Old 16th July 2010, 20:03   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

hmm.. Sonalika supplying engines for tavera.Interesting.
BTW, where is the proposed world platform of ICML, for a SUV and a C segment car?
They excused reasoning the 2008 crisis.But it's two years since.Where are the cars?
Old 17th July 2010, 00:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wow looks like Sonalika has been coming off age now, imagine supplying engines for an auto major like GM that should be a feather on their cap.

Being in tractor business I am sure they would have got used to bigger albeit louder engines. Hope this is also not an imitation of some Japanese engine.
Old 17th July 2010, 02:08   #8
Senior - BHPian

I've seen the Rhino's fairing better on highways & has not only given the looks of Qualis but has stood upto the performance of Toyota's engines too. I'm quite surprised to see as why, a industry lead like, GM couldn't get an engine all by themselves & have to depend on local market for it. Must be some hidden strategy.

And yes, @Gooney is right on Rover's engine here
Old 17th July 2010, 02:15   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm quite surprised to see as why, a industry lead like, GM couldn't get an engine all by themselves & have to depend on local market for it. Must be some hidden strategy.
Economies of scale? The Tavera doesn't exactly set the sales charts on fire. Might have been too expensive to go the other route.
Old 17th July 2010, 02:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Economies of scale? The Tavera doesn't exactly set the sales charts on fire. Might have been too expensive to go the other route.
Yes. Setting up an engine plant just for the Tavera (think about it, this engine wouldn't find any other application in the GM range) is uneconomical.
Old 17th July 2010, 02:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

BSM was all praises for the 100 bhp DI Turbo engine, which was co-developed with MG Rover. The common rail should be better.

Link to the review: Sonalika Rhino RX
Old 17th July 2010, 03:21   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Indeed! Sonalika's engine should have been cheaper than bringing an engine from china

Who would have thought?
Old 17th July 2010, 04:32   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Yes. Setting up an engine plant just for the Tavera (think about it, this engine wouldn't find any other application in the GM range) is uneconomical.
Precisely. So Sonalika sells a few more engines (better utilization of its installed production capacity) and makes money. GM gets a BSIV ready engine for peanuts.

Sonalika owners benefit from the increased availability of engine/auxiliary parts.

Win-win situation for everyone.
Old 17th July 2010, 07:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

Guess this would help GM to compete on price with the likes of Tata Sumo ,the Mahindra's and the Trax.

Do we soon see GM buying a stake in Sonalika ?
Old 17th July 2010, 07:46   #15
BANNED

In college, I did my summer intern in Sonalika. From what I have seen, I am not very confident about the quality of the engine that would be produced by Sonalika. They are primarily a Tracker company.
ottocycle is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks