Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2010, 11:51   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
GM's Optra hatchback the SRV didnt do very well in our market. One reason for that was the wrong pricing then. No one was willing to pay above 8 lakhs for a hatch but time has moved on and we do have the Jazz in a similar price bracket.

I like the looks of this car and if priced right , could definitely sell. But with a 2.0 diesel not sure whether GM can manage a good price tag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
I would't mind spending 9L for this car, provided its loaded well and it handles better then Cruze.
+1. I agree. When I first saw the pics, I was like SRV again! I am sure this can do better than Jazz. But Chevy will have to keep some costs to itself. This sure looks better in stance to the erstwhile SRV. I have come across many people getting confused in buying a ANHC or a Jazz. Most end up buying ANHC, some for its sedan definition and some put off by the ultra magic seat of Jazz,(its over utilitarian). But here you would never compete with Cruze and Cruze hatch. So it might eat up Jazz numbers. But they need to Ice it up heavy. People have been spoilt by i20.
And see we already have a prospective buyer in Channelv for 9L.
Grt going Chevy.
Old 5th September 2010, 12:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

^Same here!!

but this if launched here wont have any competition unless Fiat launches their Bravo too!!

Then the market will go hot!
Old 5th September 2010, 12:37   #18
BHPian

A hatchback doesn't mean that it will be cheaper compared to the sedan variant. For example here in the UAE, the Honda Civic hatchback starts at 95K dhs but the sedan version with exactly same spec tops off at around 85K.

So when you are talking about the hatchback version of a sedan which sells for 12Lacs +, don't even expect the hatchback to cost anything less than 11Lacs provided that both have the same technical spec.
Old 5th September 2010, 12:43   #19
BHPian

Either ways i do not see this releasing in india. Its just like imagining i30 hatchback or civic hatchback releasing in India.
Old 5th September 2010, 12:49   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Now this car could easily be the HOTest hatch in the country. It definitely has the looks.
Chevy did not get the SRV right, but I hope with this one they do.

Killer handling, great engine options and a price tag of about 9 lac for the top end would attract atleast me.
Old 5th September 2010, 13:38   #21
BHPian

Lovely design - The back, specially the rear side profile looks like a strong inspiration from Subaru WRX STI.
Old 5th September 2010, 14:49   #22
BHPian

@theragingbull - Nice pics indeed.

If only GM can create a new niche "Notchback" segment in the Indian market !. Am sure if they meet with success, the other manufacturers will follow suit and buyers will be spoilt for choice and demand for sedans may take a hit given the traffic conditions in most Indian metros !

Any ideas on when or if GM is planning to bring this one to India ?.
Old 5th September 2010, 17:43   #23
Senior - BHPian

As much as I love the look of this car, but I'm afraid, this will not sell in the 1000's that it takes to justify the logic of being sold here. period.
Old 5th September 2010, 21:41   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
^Same here!!

but this if launched here wont have any competition unless Fiat launches their Bravo too!!

Then the market will go hot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by calm_cruiser View Post
If only GM can create a new niche "Notchback" segment in the Indian market !. Am sure if they meet with success, the other manufacturers will follow suit and buyers will be spoilt for choice and demand for sedans may take a hit given the traffic conditions in most Indian metros !

Any ideas on when or if GM is planning to bring this one to India ?.
Well IMO, the segment will automatically be created. Imagine a segment with Honda's Jazz, this Chevy Cruze 'Notchback', FIAT Bravo and Hyundia i30. I mean one successful launch and we could have many back to back trying to have their pie of the cake!
And indeed its a catchy segment. And I wish VW launches the new "scirocco".
Old 5th September 2010, 23:49   #25
BHPian

IN a nutshell,,the car sure qualifies as a hot hatch. Just my initial judgement, I think it be better at cornering than the Cruze.

During my TD of the Cruze, the dead pedal missing was something I must say was a negative. A small niggling thought..wish the car had that. I hope they fix that problem in case they decide to launch.
Old 6th September 2010, 08:40   #26
BHPian

Like most others I doubt they will launch this but I hope they do and with the present engine of the sedan. At a price of 1 lakh lower than the sedan I would be very tempted and since most people wont buy it, it will have exclusivity

On a slightly off topic note I find it puzzling that indians prefer the sedan versions over the hatchback given the space constraints in our cities. Hatchbacks versions offer same passenger space for lesser cost, more efficient as weight is less, easier parking and boot space that is practically enough. In 5 years I only felt the need for a boot in my Swift only 3-4 times when I went to pick up or drop someone at the railway station.
Old 6th September 2010, 10:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Another SR-V?

GM already burnt their finger with SR-V, probably the least welcomed hatch in India. So I do not think they will make another attempt (10L for a GM Hatch?) similar to that.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:57   #28
BHPian

Let them launch it. Good to have product as a portfolio. I don't expect this to sell more than 50-100 a month, even that is too optimistic. I can guess it will
come in a CKD route , if ever. And that will not help the costing.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:15   #29
Senior - BHPian

If I'd 9L, then I would stretch my budget for Innova or extend further for an used Endeavour. Why? As my children grow older, I want a car to accomodate them comfortably rather than crampy, no matter how many Lakhs a hatch costs. For that matter, even if I'm unable to afford for Innova, I would prefer any of Sumo variants.
Old 6th September 2010, 12:47   #30
BHPian

This looks like a great product, looks good like the SRV and with a 2 lt Diesel should sell well. It is upto Chevy to make the market. The reason SRV did not succeed was that it was perceived as not being sporty enough to match its Sports Recreation Vehicle tag. The base Cruze comes at Rs 10 odd lakhs at present, and so its Notchback version could be more competitive. They should manufacture it here, and have a high localization level to make it attractively priced. I dont think a CKD route will help pricing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks