Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2010, 17:22   #16
Senior - BHPian

Auto fares - Mumbai

The funniest part is that the hike has been announced not by the Govt, but by the Union Leader....

Source: Auto fares hiked after flash strike in Mumbai | Deccan Chronicle | 2010-06-22

Auto fares hiked after flash strike in Mumbai
June 22nd, 2010
Autorickshaw fares were hiked with effect from Thursday in Mumbai and nearby Thane, with the possibility that taxi fares would also go up, a union leader said on Tuesday.
While the minimum fare has gone up from Rs 9 to Rs 11 for the first 1.6 kilometers, every subsequent kilometre would cost Rs 6.50, up from Rs 5 now, Bombay Autorickshaw and Taximen's Union president Sharad Rao said.
This would nearly offset the losses suffered by autorickshaw drivers on account of the hike in compressed natural gas (CNG) prices, Rao said, adding the new fares would help drivers earn around Rs.200 more a month.
The fare hike would affect 105,000 autorickshaws in Mumbai and another 35,000 in Thane district, said union general secretary Shashank Rao.
"However, this is an interim hike since we have demanded a minimum fare hike of Rs.15 at the base level. For this, a committee has been set up to examine the issue," said Shashank.
Even as the auto fare hike was announced, taxi unions were engaged in talks with the authorities for a fare increase.
The fares were hiked after a flash strike by thousands of autorickshaw drivers hit Mumbai hard.
Old 15th October 2010, 00:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
In Chennai auto fares are a joke. They never agree to anything this side of 100 rupees. If you calculate roughly, they charge around Rs.20 per kilometre.

Nothing is going to teach these guys a lesson except mass boycott, which I don't think will happen.

I was pleasantly surprised to see auto drivers in Bangalore using the meter, and charging fair prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
It is not different in Bangalore. Auto drivers may be using the meter, but the charge that they are asking will be double or triple some times. I had an experience recently where the meter charge was 25 and the driver asked me 70. And the reason for this was the bad road condition and luggage. I had two bags with me which were not more than 10KG. 4-5 KM also they will be asking minimum 100. Try to avoid auto in Bangalore and use Volvo bus service.
After having seen these autowalas in Chennai whichever place I go I find the autowalas reasonable eventhough most of the time the locals there disagree. What chennaites feel about autos elsewhere is relative to what they have in Chennai. To my knowledge it is worst in Chennai. Lot of my friends from other states were surprised at the kind of fares these autowalas were demanding. Not to mention, if you do not know the local language the fares will multiply n times with these guys

Last edited by pacman2881 : 15th October 2010 at 00:32.
Old 15th October 2010, 15:17   #18
BHPian

Infact except for Mumbai and Kolkata, rest of India auto/taxi fares are really unreasonable. Cities like Delhi, Chennai, Coimbatore, Pune are hell to travel. I seriously don't understand why they even have a meter in the first place. It is a joke.

Hyderabad and Bangalore were ok sometime back. but now they are also going Chennai way, no meter saaaaaaar. In Hyderabad you can still get away by paying Rs 10-15 above the meter but Delhi/Chennai it is even more expensive than a Radio Taxi. No wonder Radio taxis do a brisk business in these cities.

Mumbai seriously rocks that way. They actually give you the change back and sometimes if you don't have change they are ok with that as well.

People don't realize but these small things make a lot of difference in the way the city is perceived.
Old 15th October 2010, 16:13   #19
BHPian

Auto Fare : Bangalore

Wrong auto fare? Shut up and pay

Don’t complain and expect any help from the legal metrology department, which is short of manpower with just 23 inspectors

Deputy controller (administration) of the legal metrology department C M Mallikarjuna said, “The sanctioned posts of inspectors in the entire state is 107, but 30 are vacant. Bangalore has 23 inspectors and it is difficult for them to run after each autorickshaw. But we cannot ignore people’s complaints either. So, we have requested the government to increase the number of inspectors to 250.”

Source : Wrong auto fare? Shut up and pay, News - City - Bangalore Mirror,Bangalore Mirror
Old 15th October 2010, 18:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Can Mumbaikers help get approximate fare for taxi from Mumbai Central to Mumbai International Airport.

Approximate figure would be appreciate to avoid getting fooled.

Thanks

Last edited by chevelle : 15th October 2010 at 18:25.
Old 15th October 2010, 21:39   #21
Senior - BHPian

In Kolkata the auto travels in predetermined routes (where you share the auto with 4 other passengers) rather than as a contract carriage. So no meters, and fares are predetermined (and every auto stand has them listed on a board). Compared to other parts of India, the rates are quite cheap.
Old 16th October 2010, 09:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
I couldn't find the Auto / Taxi rates in Goa, but I am posting this so that tourists get aware of the unique 'motor bike taxis' in Goa. I think Goa is the only place in India where 'motor bike taxis' are legal.
I was recently in Goa and paid Rs. 750 as taxi fare from the Dabolim airport to Candolim -- a distance of about 45 k.m. So roughly its Rs 15 to16 per k.m.

However, the fare is much higher for shorter distances. A taxi driver wanted Rs. 200 for a 4 k.m. return trip with two hour wait.
Old 17th October 2010, 00:31   #23
SAS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
I was recently in Goa and paid Rs. 750 as taxi fare from the Dabolim airport to Candolim -- a distance of about 45 k.m. So roughly its Rs 15 to16 per k.m.

However, the fare is much higher for shorter distances. A taxi driver wanted Rs. 200 for a 4 k.m. return trip with two hour wait.
Goa is a complete rip-off. That's why I always go down to Goa driving. I don't mind driving for 12 hours rather than be fleeced by the stupid and lazy taxi drivers in Goa. The worst part is that they dont care because they eventually get phirangs to shell out their ridiculously high rates if you're not interested
Old 17th October 2010, 03:34   #24
BHPian

Bangalore Auto

Autos in Bangalore have really gone the Chennai way in some parts. I stay in HSR, and typically i am asked Rs 40 for a 3km trip to Silk Board.

However, go to a slightly older/traditional part of bangalore, and they are all fine - they even use the meter and treat the customer with respect. It looks like the newer parts of Bangalore, particularly where the cosmopolitan crowd is higher (like HSR/Koramangala), Auto drivers fleece customers - they can always get a non-local guy to fleece even if locals dont agree to pay them what they ask.
Old 17th October 2010, 08:16   #25
BANNED

Coimbatore auto rickshaws are worst of the lot, atleast in TN, they charge much excess charge, and anyone visited to coimbatore will tell you the sad story of fleeced by auto drivers, I have not seen one auto using meter,

They dont fix fare by distance or time, it depends on drivers mood. but mostly minimum will be 80-100. whatever the distance is. the TN government in poor in tackling this menace in coimbatore and chennai. they say the petrol price gone up and all gone up. but i wonder kerala is also part of india, and in palakkad the fare is much cheaper.

auto drivers tend to be in auto stand without customers, but wont go for low fare than their will. also they use very old API models. which they wont have to pay monthly dues also. its total cost would be around 20 k. pour diesel mixture with petrol. Worst auto.
Old 17th October 2010, 13:17   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
In Bangalore The factor of increase for the new fare is 1.28 (9/7). So to calculate the approximate new fare, the thumb rule is to multiply the old fare with 1.28. This gives a rough estimate, with deviation of only Rs 1 or so from the exact amount.

Distance in km Old amount New amount

Min 2 km 14 17.92
15 19.2
16 20.48
17 21.76
18 23.04
19 24.32
20 25.6
3 21 26.88
4 28 35.84
5 35 44.8
6 42 53.76
7 49 62.72
8 56 71.68
9 63 80.64
10 70 89.6
11 77 98.56
12 84 107.52
13 91 116.48
14 98 125.44
15 105 134.4
Recently I visited Bangalore. I had an occasion to read the auto charge 'card' issued to auto drivers. It says that the new rates are :
Rs. 17 minimum. Permitted travel 2 kms.
After than Rs. 9.00 for every km. Eg. if you travel 5 kms, Rs. 17 for the first 2 kms. remaining 3 kms will cost 3 * 9 = Rs. 27. Total 29 + 17 = Rs. 46.

Fractions of kms, the meter was showing in between rates also. Could not analyse logic since I was in another problem
Old 9th December 2010, 10:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

New Delhi - Travel in a taxi, pay for an auto

Source: Travel in a taxi, pay for an auto

Travel in a taxi, pay for an auto
Press Trust of India, Updated: December 07, 2010 21:42 IST

New Delhi: Commuters in the city will now have the option of travelling in taxis with almost the same fare as that of autorickshaws.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit today flagged off the first batch of low-fare radio taxis-- with GPS device as well a panic button that a commuter can press in case of any difficulty to seek help-- which will charge a flat fare of Rs. 10 per kilometre.
The first batch of taxis, to be run by private operator, comprises 25 Maruti Alto vehicles which will be in operation from tomorrow.
Soon the fleet size of the non-airconditioned service will be increased to 100, transport department officials said.

While the air conditioned radio taxis charge Rs. 20 per kilometre, the black and white taxis charge Rs. 20 for the first kilometre travelled and Rs. 11 for every subsequent kilometre.
The introduction of low-fare radio taxi is part of government's effort to provide a much safer alternative to autorickshaws in the wake of evergrowing complaints accusing auto drivers of fleecing commuters.
The autorickshaws charge Rs. 19 for first two kilometres and Rs. 6.50 for each subsequent kilometre.

"This is part of our consistent effort to improve quality of transportation in the city," said Transport Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely.
All the low-cost taxis have a panic button and a commuter can press it in case of any difficulty including misbehaviour by the driver.
The call centre of the service would immediately track the vehicle and take effective measures including informing police about it, said an official.
Old 9th December 2010, 12:20   #28
BHPian

Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

In Bangalore, the autowallahs will always ask for more than the meter charge. Maybe, they have learnt it from their cousins in Chennai. As somebody has already pointed out, this is more common in places like Indiranagar, Kormangala, etc.

The worst part is that sometimes they won't even agree to take you to your destination, citing bad roads, U-turn, etc

I have seen some of them even abusing the women openly in the morning peak hours. I once argued with an autowallah for abusing a lady (unkown to me) who shared the auto with me till office. I asked him to show some respect for the lady and the guy started threatening me. I thought it's just not worth it to argue with such people and showed him the finger (which I don't think he understood!!) and went on my way.
Old 15th December 2010, 11:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto and Taxi Fares in India

Auto/Taxi strike today in Kerala - demanding for increasing the fare.
Petrol price was hiked nearly 3 Rs today, Diesel price hike to follow.
Old 15th December 2010, 23:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Kolkata taxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
In Kolkata the auto travels in predetermined routes (where you share the auto with 4 other passengers) rather than as a contract carriage. So no meters, and fares are predetermined (and every auto stand has them listed on a board). Compared to other parts of India, the rates are quite cheap.
However, taxis in Kolkata do have a fixed meter scheme. The rate is Rs 22 for the first 2 kms, and Rs 10 for every subsequent km.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks