Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 14:09   #211
BHPian

Re: Fiat says Tata, all set to launch brand stores

Last when I spoke the sales manager of kht he said 1.6 elegance may come in feb 2012. But it more sounded like his guesswork. Though he sounded confident that it is not coming this diwali.
Old 20th September 2011, 14:14   #212
Senior - BHPian

I do not think any of these actions will help to improve FIATs performance in India. Instead of wasting time they should launch some products like GTX and keep fans happy!!
Old 20th September 2011, 21:27   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I do not think any of these actions will help to improve FIATs performance in India. Instead of wasting time they should launch some products like GTX and keep fans happy!!
No company can survive by only satisfying the enthusiasts. I feel Fiat is right in doing the brand makeover. But, whether the route taken by them is right or not, we will have to wait and see.
Old 5th October 2011, 20:46   #214
mo1
BHPian

Hello All,
Just need an opinion from you all knowledgeable folks out there.
I am about to book Punto 1.3 MJD tomorrow(6-Oct-11).
I have read most of the info/reviews on tbhp and that has certainly helped me make this decision apart from my own test drive.
Now, the only thing that is lingering on my mind is about "FIAT in India".
I have read about Fiat planning to setup its own stores and all. But I hope these are not last ditch efforts to sustain operations in India(I read about export to Srilanka also.)
So, I am just wondering if this will turn out to be a bad decision in the long run if (god forbid) Fiat thinks it is enough.you know?
I know it is really tough to forecast/imagine these things but just need your views so I can take the call.
Please help! Thanks in advance!
Old 6th October 2011, 00:30   #215
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo1 View Post
Hello All,
I have read most of the info/reviews on tbhp and that has certainly helped me make this decision apart from my own test drive.
I have read about Fiat planning to setup its own stores and all. But I hope these are not last ditch efforts to sustain operations in India(I read about export to Srilanka also.)
So, I am just wondering if this will turn out to be a bad decision in the long run if (god forbid) Fiat thinks it is enough.you know?
I know it is really tough to forecast/imagine these things but just need your views so I can take the call.
As you have told yourself, It's tough to forecast, but seeing the current automotive market in India, No manufacturer will close down so easily.

Also Fiat has not closed the JV entirely...only the stores will be different but all others will be shared between the two companies.

Also as you have told, Exports will happen, so even if the numbers are low, they might continue selling here.

In the worst case if it really closes down, Its the national engine. any repairs or service will be available in multibrand service centres like Bosch

Its such a good car that once you sit inside, you'll forget all these last minute nerves. You have made a good choice...go and enjoy. Wish you and your "would be punto" a lot of smiles together.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 01:52   #216
BHPian

I agree with Hemanth .... i too have a Punto MJD, 13 months old / covered 29K and still cant wait for my weekly office drives on NH8 to Gurgaon.

A friend of mine just bought a FIGO D and he had not considered Punto at all bcoz according to him he wanted only socially acceptable cars like - i20, Dzire or Figo.

I didnt force my decision on him either but after he bought it and we drove his Figo, immediately thereafter i asked him to drive my Punto and guess what he was also praises for Punto's handling, suspension over bad roads and the clutch lightness.

Its just the brand image of FIAT which keeps customers away and i believe if rather than discounts, FIAT starts giving monetory gesture to people who come to TD there cars, then it could better there image and also turn many customers in their family.

Forget about all other factors ... FIAT cars are worth the amount spent, irrespective the company stays or doesnt.

Any yes the situation is not that gloomy for Fiat, because they should be here for another 2 yrs atleast in an effort to penetrate Indian minds. (set up own showrooms, then service centres and then new car to be launched).
namit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 02:14   #217
Senior - BHPian

I don't think Fiat has any plans of wrapping up and going back. India is too big (in future) and important a market for any manufacturer to ignore. While the dismal sales figures month-on-month , may give you the jitters, i don't think you should reject the car on this basis.

Punto is a brilliant car, only downside may be low resale value and the rubbery gearbox. If you like the car, go ahead without second thoughts on if the company would be around or not
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 12:56   #218
BHPian

All the brand stores in the world will not help fiat if when u go to service it u have to go to tata *** where they share space with their own cars as well as with fiat and nano and JLR. I have a maruti and a tata car and the tata expericnce is hell .
Old 6th October 2011, 20:57   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anky View Post
All the brand stores in the world will not help fiat if when u go to service it u have to go to tata *** where they share space with their own cars as well as with fiat and nano and JLR. I have a maruti and a tata car and the tata expericnce is hell .
JLR cars are not serviced in TATA Motors service stations as far as I know, they have their own service unit.
Old 7th October 2011, 15:26   #220
BHPian

Go to the main tata motors at worli mumbai where i service my indigo dicor 2007 regularly and u will see jaguar and land roversbeing serviced in the same compound , will click photo nex time if u want .
Old 7th October 2011, 21:36   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,
All are speculations. There is only one bad thing about FIAT, very low aftermarket price. (And once you own FIAT you will not sell) Except this FIAT is comparable to all major car-manufacturers. Nobody in that segment can beat Looks, features, mileage, power of Punto. So go ahead. And Fiat is not going to say Tata for Tata. Eventhough they are planning for seperate showrooms they will be owned by existing dealers only. So it will be exclusively FIAT showroom run by Tata dealer. Yes their volumes will be always comaparatively less. But enjoy the rareness of Brand and stay away from herd. Otherwise i20 n swift can be seen on any corner of the road.
"Ride FIAT with Pride"
Fiat&Me is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 21:50   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,
Go for Punto without any hesitation. You will enjoy every bit of her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat&Me View Post
All are speculations. There is only one bad thing about FIAT, very low aftermarket price. (And once you own FIAT you will not sell) Except this FIAT is comparable to all major car-manufacturers. Nobody in that segment can beat Looks, features, mileage, power of Punto. So go ahead. And Fiat is not going to say Tata for Tata. Eventhough they are planning for seperate showrooms they will be owned by existing dealers only. So it will be exclusively FIAT showroom run by Tata dealer. Yes their volumes will be always comaparatively less. But enjoy the rareness of Brand and stay away from herd. Otherwise i20 n swift can be seen on any corner of the road.
"Ride FIAT with Pride"
I agree with you. But, even the so called low resale for Fiat is entirely not true. Fiat Diesel still has decent resale as well. I have sold my Punto and upgraded to Linea MJD. The price I got for my Punto was very decent.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2011, 23:26   #223

These days almost everyone is using the term 'game changer'... Fiat needs to do something like that if they want to capture a fair share of indian auto market.

I can think of 3 things that MAY help fiat india.

- Launch Punto and Linea with auto transmission, ofcourse with diesel. Though enthusiasts may not like it, they cant help the sales figures. So bring diesel with automatic transmission. if am right they have it available in US markets. And if am right, we dont have a diesel automatic at this price range.
- They need to get their A.S.S into a better shape. My suggestion would be to tie up with someone like Bosch Service Center, provide comprehensive training and tools required and have them as authorised service centers for Fiat cars.
- Finally sell spare parts off the counter.

First point will change the market and last 2 will help Fiat regain some customer confidence and hopefully sell more cars.
Old 8th October 2011, 00:32   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,
Exactly the same had happened with me too.
Else before reading your this post, I would've booked one Punto 1.3 MjD EP by now.
But highly enthusiastic Replies of tbhp-ians on this post changed my mind once again & have made more stronger affection for Punto this time.
Coming to the point;
-Despite of low sales(not by European, but as MSIL/Hyundai standards), FIAT India is still running in Profits, thanks to the Huge supplies of their Super successful 1.3 MjD engine(75/90PS) supplies to Maruti Suzuki & TATA, which is making their Cash registers ringing continuously.
-So afterthat, FIAT have already frozen their plans till 2013-14.
-Punto-Linea are highly localized cars, with most of their components localized here.
-Huge sales of Punto-Linea till to date(as compared to Palio) have build the faith of its Manufacturers/Vendors/Suppliers & its Dealers to create & stock the parts respectively here.
-Though FIAT-India is going to Inaugurate their Brand Stores soon, but they're just going to be the separate Display centres to display their product range only.
Product Invoice, Service, Spares & other formalities will be done at same TATA-FIAT dealership though.
-As most of the car's Critical components are shared with Vista, Manza(like Engine, Gearbox, ECU, Relays, etc), i don't think that in near future any of these component availabilty might crop up as any Issue.
-Till their Italian HQs are in profits or don't get bankrupt, I see no logic to let Indian Subsidiary die when the same Market is seeing an exponential growth.
-With 50:50 TATA-FIAT JV, which has proved to be 'Jennie's lamp' in establishing TATA Motors as Proper car manufacturer.
I need arises, TATA won't leave any stone unturned to completely own that Subsidiary(for business reasons).

An excerpt from today's News;
Quote:
As per
This move, the company hopes, would help in giving Fiat's range of cars a new brand identity.

“We are not going separate ways. But our approach to the market is being done differently now. We feel that both the brands should be seen differently. The same dealer will have to open two dealerships in a different location/showrooms,” he said. According to the plan, the company would open 20 Fiat branded stores in the country.

A Delhi-based auto expert Deepak Dalal said that the company's decision to consolidate its product base should give the desired results.
Source: Fiat India won’t launch any new car model till 2013-14, says CEO

With so much Information on tap, I see no reason for FIAT India to Quit from here.
Else Punto is an International brand, So we can call even an Engineer from Italy too, for smooth Sustenance of them.
Old 8th October 2011, 01:26   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear mo1: I am Fiat owner myself, and my experiences are up there on this forum over the last three and half years. While I own a Palio Stile MJD, you may still read my experiences with the ASC, the quality and the wait for parts in my long term ownership thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...5-000-kms.html

I do not wish to encourage or discourage you but I also do not agree with some of the statements below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
-Despite of low sales(not by European, but as MSIL/Hyundai standards), FIAT India is still running in Profits, thanks to the Huge supplies of their Super successful 1.3 MjD engine(75/90PS) supplies to Maruti Suzuki & TATA, which is making their Cash registers ringing continuously.
FIAT India does not get any direct compensation for the license of the DDIS engine. It goes to the parent company itself as an agreement between Suzuki worldwide and FIAT S.p.a. Fiat India (50-50 JV between Fiat S.p.a. and Tata Motors) does not profit from DDIS sales of Maruti. Fiat DOES NOT need to survive in India to continue to earn money from the manufacture and sale of their multi-jet engines and gearboxes under license from them. This is to the best of my knowledge.

Simply put, Fiat India is not in the business to earn royalties from engine sales by licensed maufacturers. Fiat S.p.a. Italy is enough for that. Fiat India is in business to make cars, and if they don't sell, that's not good for you, mo1 or me or any other Fiat owner.

Quote:
-Huge sales of Punto-Linea till to date(as compared to Palio) have build the faith of its Manufacturers/Vendors/Suppliers & its Dealers to create & stock the parts respectively here.
The Palio saw a record number of bookings (some 3000 units or so) in 2001 at launch. It was a pretty successful car by the standards of those days. The first year it sold pretty well. By the second year the sales dropped.

The Punto has sold a maximum of 1600 units or so in any month (in 2010) and the Linea something like 1200 (in 2009), if my memory serves me right. Between 2001 and 2009-10, the market has grown manifold.

Relatively speaking, the Palio was a more successful (or atleast equally successful) car (from market share point of view) than Punto or Linea.

Quote:
-As most of the car's Critical components are shared with Vista, Manza(like Engine, Gearbox, ECU, Relays, etc), i don't think that in near future any of these component availabilty might crop up as any Issue.
I agree to this to an extent. Though the engine / mechanical parts are the same, the badging is different and the gearboxes are not identical (ratios are different). I don't know how far they are swappable. Of course, parts like fuel filter, oil filter and air filter are swappable.

Quote:
With 50:50 TATA-FIAT JV, which has proved to be 'Jennie's lamp' in establishing TATA Motors as Proper car manufacturer. I need arises, TATA won't leave any stone unturned to completely own that Subsidiary(for business reasons).
On the contrary, my fear is that Fiat S.p.a. may sell off its share in Fiat India to Tata Motors some day and walk away. Tata can happily continue making Manza and Vista in the Ranjangaon plant with license from engine / gearbox from Fiat S.p.a. It actually makes it easier for Fiat since Tata won't have problems absorbing that plant within its fold.

However, what I am saying and what you are saying are both speculative things.

Quote:
Else Punto is an International brand, So we can call even an Engineer from Italy too, for smooth Sustenance of them.
That sounds quite impractical. You can't have imported Fiat engineers in Service centres for a company that has packed up from India (if Fiat winds up). Further, no genius of an engineer (Italian or otherwise) can do anything without supply of parts. Palio had a reasonable level of localisation and all the local manufacturers have disappeared since. Many parts now come from Brazil. The same could happen to the Linea / Punto.

I am not trying to scare anyone here, but maybe we should not build up false hopes. I still think Fiat India is here to stay and I intend to hold on to my Palio as a daily driver till it falls apart. But we should help mo1 make an informed judgement, not an ill-informed one.

Last edited by architect : 8th October 2011 at 01:29.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks