Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which Hatches you would like to be launched in India?
VW Golf 29 25.66%
Suzuki SX4 Hatch 12 10.62%
Ford Fiesta Hatch 30 26.55%
FIAT Bravo 28 24.78%
Hyundai i30 6 5.31%
Toyota Auris 7 6.19%
Opel Astra Hatch 1 0.88%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2010, 15:44   #1
BHPian

Hatches you would like to be launched in India?

Hello Tbhp'ians,

-> A clean tarmac, dead straight road, median, no cross passing, no cattle, rules followed.
-> A twisty snaky road through the ghats, rainy morning, forest cover around.
-> Mountain terrain, cliffs and climbs, clouds emerging from below.
-> Tarmac well laid, beach side, breeze blowing across.
-> Bumper to bumper traffic, smoke and honking horns.
-> Destination to reach, all night driving.

I was just trying to pen down a few of the many times that a car is needed to satiate the mind.
Hatches are the common man rich man's favorite way of travel now a days. But are we really satisfied with the current offerings, are we really content with the M800, alto, wagonR, Astar, santro, indica, i10, i20, swift, polo, punto, fabia. I am sure we like something of this, and something of that, wish someone could cross mutate all these cars and make one for us. Well unfortunately, cross mutation is limited to living things, so we are left to choose from the stable. It isn't a bad choice on offer but who minds more to choose from. India is fastly growing into a big automobile hub for the world now, but I still find many international offerings are kept away from us for some reason. Why, I don't know, but at Tbhp, you can have them all.

So I have shortlisted a few hatches (hot ones) that might interest us and may be in future interest the companies too.

These hatches may or may not be comparable to each other, may be diesel or petrol, this is just a list of what I feel should adorn the roads and enhance our freedom of choices in which ever segment they fit. But all are hatches, because thats one concept which is picture perfect on every situation in India.

I have attached poll, so click and lets see which offering is the most sought for in India. Do give your reasons and if you have a better choice other than the ones on the poll, do infirm, may be we can heat up the fight.

I have been lucky to be out of India a couple of times (only Europe and right now in Turkey) and have spotted quite a few nice hatches that I think should be available in India atleast now on.

This is my list, lets see how yours looks like.
No in order of any priority, just as I remember:
The following are part of the poll:
(the pics are illustrative only and models engine option shown are just as per photograph availability)

1) VW Golf
Hatches you would like to be launched in India?-frankfurtmotshow_166.jpg

2) Suzuki SX4 Hatch
Hatches you would like to be launched in India?-frankfurtmotshow_010.jpg
Hatches you would like to be launched in India?-frankfurtmotshow_017.jpg

3) Ford Fiesta Hatch
Hatches you would like to be launched in India?-frankfurtmotshow_079.jpg
Hatches you would like to be launched in India?-frankfurtmotshow_088.jpg

4) FIAT Bravo
Hatches you would like to be launched in India?-frankfurtmotshow_393.jpg
Hatches you would like to be launched in India?-frankfurtmotshow_392.jpg

5) Hyundai I30
Hatches you would like to be launched in India?-frankfurtmotshow_424.jpg
Hatches you would like to be launched in India?-frankfurtmotshow_420.jpg

6) Toyota Auris
Hatches you would like to be launched in India?-frankfurtmotshow_517.jpg

7) Opel Astra Hatch
Hatches you would like to be launched in India?-frankfurtmotshow_482.jpg

Well these are just a few of the many options I feel should be in our choice basket. Of-course the list should have others too, but I don't want the poll to look like a list of everything. Most of these hatches are premium ones and we can only expect high pricing if launched in India, nevertheless, lets see whats the choice of the forum.

*All pictures attached are my property clicked at the Frankfurt Motor Show 2009 and I have all rights for these pics. (forgive me not very good pics, these were clicked by me when I was just learning handling a DSLR for the first time)
Old 7th November 2010, 15:55   #2
BHPian

I've voted for GOLF, it is a brilliant hatch.
few comments,
Opel had launched a new ASTRA, the one shown in the pic is an old generation
Ford Fiesta doesn't fall in the same league, it is ford focus which compete with the likes of Golf, Astra...
Old 7th November 2010, 15:57   #3
BHPian

Wow nice sets of wheels there. Would love to see some of those hotties on our roads here. More than these I would like to see the powerful hatches like the Subarus and the rally bred cars.
Old 7th November 2010, 15:58   #4
BHPian

Awaiting Fiat Bravo

Voted for Bravo. I would love the car with 1.6 (preferably 1.9) multijet engine and not to mention BLUE & ME . Flip side would be pricing
Old 7th November 2010, 15:59   #5
BANNED

And my choice for a scenario like these is VW Scirocco
Attached Thumbnails
Hatches you would like to be launched in India?-vwscirocco01.jpg  

Hatches you would like to be launched in India?-vwscirocco02.jpg  

Old 7th November 2010, 16:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Ford Fiesta hatch. It's a brilliant looking car with loads of space inside. Amazing engine options and could well be inside the 6lakh bracket! It's in fact coming in 2011 most probably.

Didn't vote for the VW Golf as it would be even more expensive than the Polo and doesn't make much sense as it's the same size.
Fiat Bravo again, too expensive to enter into the Indian hatch space.
Toyota Auris is a nice small city hatch and I'd love to see it in India.
The i30 is a larger i20 which frankly no one needs in the country today. It'd be priced a lot higher and again doesn't make sense.
No chances of the Opel Atra coming here.
Old 7th November 2010, 16:08   #7
BHPian

Voted for Fiesta htach. It is hell of a looker.

On the other hand, SX4 hatch is the worst looking hatch I have ever seen. It may not be looking that bad here in pics. But in reality, I see it on roads here in Singapore. Its looks are horrible to say the least.

Off topic: All of these listed cars ply here on Singapore roads which sells around 1/50 of the volume of cars sold in India
Old 7th November 2010, 16:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
And my choice for a scenario like these is VW Scirocco
I know scirocco is a wonderful car, its looks are mind blowing, but then scirocco is not a car to be on polls, its car to be relished on road. I would prefer to keep the poll with a sense of practicality else I would end up adding my own favourite BMW 1 series, and thats too unfair for other contenders. So lets leave the poll as it is, but sure wildon, well reminded of the scirocco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Voted for the Ford Fiesta hatch. It's a brilliant looking car with loads of space inside. Amazing engine options and could well be inside the 6lakh bracket! It's in fact coming in 2011 most probably.

Didn't vote for the VW Golf as it would be even more expensive than the Polo and doesn't make much sense as it's the same size.
Fiat Bravo again, too expensive to enter into the Indian hatch space.
Toyota Auris is a nice small city hatch and I'd love to see it in India.
The i30 is a larger i20 which frankly no one needs in the country today. It'd be priced a lot higher and again doesn't make sense.
No chances of the Opel Atra coming here.
Even I feel i30 is never gonna hit Indian roads considering i20 success and jazz failures on pricing. But I like the car for its road presence. Fiesta hatch is sure the most catchy, but I like the golf. I somehow feel, Ford cheated us with Figo, for me Figo is the old fiesta hatch with some tweaks. The back light etc is just the same. Fiesta hatch if launched would bite a big share out of i20 and Punto I feel.
Old 7th November 2010, 16:12   #9
BHPian

Voted for the VW Golf,just love it
Old 7th November 2010, 16:13   #10
BHPian

its amazing to see how fiat comes up with these lovely design, voted for bravo second in line would be vw scirocco, but i would be extremely happy if we could get a punto with tjet or a bigger capacity mjd in it
Old 7th November 2010, 16:27   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguy View Post
its amazing to see how fiat comes up with these lovely design, voted for bravo second in line would be vw scirocco, but i would be extremely happy if we could get a punto with tjet or a bigger capacity mjd in it
+1, the FIAT guys are amazing with there design, but don't know why they don't act professional in India. Though I doubt Bravo coming to India considering at what price they would put it. Even the Punto EVO looks are great, but lets wait and watch what Fiat decides. There puny sales numbers should make them think hopefully.
Old 7th November 2010, 19:01   #12
BHPian

I would love to see the Golf and the Auris reach the Indian shores, both of them are good looking practical hatches. But I sincerely hope that the i30 and SX4 don't make it here, they look bland and uninspiring.

The Fiesta will be on sale soon, so its definitely on the buy list rather than on the wish-list.
Old 7th November 2010, 19:19   #13
BHPian

Where is the VW Scirocco option, and Im sure all these hatches when launched will go through the Indian khichdi of parts and spares and well end up not being so desirable.

I guess the Scirocco is better off there than ending up here with environment saving engines and balloon tires.

And for the vote, I think the most desirable hatch I want right now has been launched and is in my garage
Old 7th November 2010, 20:17   #14
Senior - BHPian

Would love to see the Alfa Romeo Giulietta with their new Multi-Air engines in India
Attached Thumbnails
Hatches you would like to be launched in India?-2011alfaromeogiuliettarearsideview588x386.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 7th November 2010, 22:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguy View Post
its amazing to see how fiat comes up with these lovely design
Hope VW now holding a large stake in Guigiaro doesn't change that.
Same goes with Alfa Romeos. They're absolutely stunning.

On the wishlist are the Golf and the Scirocco, the Focus, the Bravo and the Alfas (Mito and Giulietta).

Most Viewed