Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2005, 13:41   #16
Senior - BHPian

Verona is the Chevy Epica nee Daewoo Lagenza. Like Rtech said, this should be on GM India's product roadmap, not Maruti's.

Besides, the Epica is more in Sonata/Accord territory size-wise, not Optra/Octavia/Elantra/Corolla territory.

It must be a new Suzuki product, some kind of super-baleno. Hell if Ford can advertise its Fiesta as 'ground breaking' and 'made for India' you'll probably have everyone else advertising along the same lines.

Could it be the Aerio? Suzuki Aerio at Edmunds or is Aerio just another name for the Liana?

Last edited by Steeroid : 14th December 2005 at 13:56.
Old 14th December 2005, 14:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Could it be the Aerio? Suzuki Aerio at Edmunds or is Aerio just another name for the Liana?
I think The Auto Magazine had once carried an article speculating that the Esteem may be replaced by the Aerio. Don't think the Aerio belongs to the 9-10 L category.

My guess would be a 'new' car built on the Optra platform.
And IF its a Verona derivative, then it'll redefine the entry level D segment. Sizewise, Verona is similar in width and wheelbase to the Accord out here. It's about 10 cm shorter lengthwise.
Old 14th December 2005, 14:04   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
I think The Auto Magazine had once carried an article speculating that the Esteem may be replaced by the Aerio. Don't think the Aerio belongs to the 9-10 L category.

My guess would be a 'new' car built on the Optra platform.
And IF its a Verona derivative, then it'll redefine the entry level D segment. Sizewise, Verona is similar in width and wheelbase to the Accord out here. It's about 10 cm shorter lengthwise.
Suzuki has an existing car on the Optra/Nubira platform, and thats called Forenza.

If you go through the Edmunds report, they compare the Aerio with the Corolla and the Civic, so it should fall in that category. It does look a bit like the Liana, but it is definitely bigger.

PS: The Aerio reviewed on Edmunds had a 2.4 litre engine. I wouldnt call that an Esteem replacement. The Liana is the ideal replacement for Esteem.
Old 14th December 2005, 14:28   #19

I doubt the car 'll meet success cos anything above 6-7 lacs , people start thinking about the brand and in this case maruti ll be compared with the giants , the Hondas and the Toyotas . Unless the car is a real VFM , i doubt its success .
Old 14th December 2005, 14:42   #20
BHPian

forget it.go for the octavia
Old 14th December 2005, 14:44   #21
Team-BHP Support

Octavia for 9 lakhs, whos selling?
Old 14th December 2005, 17:25   #22
BHPian

Aerio/Liana not cost 9-10 lakh for sure.
Old 14th December 2005, 18:47   #23
Team-BHP Support

Forget Sonatas and Accords. Just think, who buys a Corolla or an Optra? Most probably a guy with some gray hairs, in his forties whose chauffer drives him to the office. Now such people are pretty brand conscious (almost as much as the Accord owners).

Now think of Marutis. Yeah I know... those cute little thingies they call 800?!! Yeah, of course if you think a bit more you also think about Altos, Wagon-Rs etc... You think that image will sell a car that implores you "look at me instead of a flashy Chevy Optra or a Toyota Corolla"? Exactly, thats where the problem is. It will need a huge exercise in positioning to make a car from Maruti stable to click in this segment.

Now, I am not saying it is impossible. However that may need a huge image restructuring. One possibility, nay requirement, could be that Suzuki decides on a separate branding for such a premium car. May be the badging will be just Suzuki and not Maruti just like the Maybachs. It is possible considering that Suzuki now calls the shots in Maruti after the Government's stake sell.
Old 14th December 2005, 19:21   #24
Team-BHP Support

Have to agree with Zappo here. It reminds me of Toyota Avalon, which is positioned as a luxury car in USA. But who wants a luxury car with Toyota tag, sit in the same service lobby as corolla owners? Therefore, Avalon hardly sells. Why bother when Lexus ES300 is available for the same price. Same company, but Lexus name is associated with upscale luxury, Toyota is a middle class work horse.
Old 14th December 2005, 19:23   #25
Senior - BHPian

i suspect suzuki has taken the "small car maker" image too seriously, and is gunning for the biggies...which is why, there's enough reason to suspect a new contender for the yet-to-be-launched honda civic. now, i know this might seem tad high a dream for suzuki to achieve, but imagine this: a 2.0 litre engine, 140 bhp, sporty handling, creature comforts, et al; all this in a sub-10 lac suzuki...perhaps suzuki has some good reasons to be confident enough to declare it's intentions of holding on to that 50% market share....
Old 14th December 2005, 20:07   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wonder how it works with GM. This is nothing but a Daewoo, the Optra's bigger brother. Nice engine, inline six, transverse 2.5. Positioned against Accord/camry in the US.

They also launched a new car along with Fiat in a JV. Maybe its a sedan version of that. Called Fiat Sedci or something.

Last edited by Mpower : 14th December 2005 at 20:12.
Old 14th December 2005, 20:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

@Mpower: a transversely mounted in-line six...?? holy cow...that car would have a W-I-D-E hood...but wasn't there a 2.0 in-line four...?
Old 14th December 2005, 21:09   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
@Mpower: a transversely mounted in-line six...?? holy cow...that car would have a W-I-D-E hood...but wasn't there a 2.0 in-line four...?
The Epica (Optra's big brother formerly known as Daewoo Legenza) starts with a 2 litre in-inline four. It doesnt have the space to go with its big looks, though.

This car may yet be the Aerio/Liana positioned at Honda City/Chevy Optra levels. I trawled the net for Suzuki concept cars, but none of the concepts for the last 1 year are anywhere near this bracket....

Unearthed an interesting Hindu Business Line Article from October this year, though....

Last edited by Steeroid : 14th December 2005 at 21:12.
Old 14th December 2005, 21:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Actually the trick is in the gearbox, very compact, but auto only.
Old 14th December 2005, 21:34   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

this looks exiting more cars in this segement means we will get more options for the same money,i have been waiting for ford focus and honda civic,now maruti has something for us.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks