Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2005, 22:58   #46
BHPian

Quote:
their 77bhp car performs better than most 90+bhp cars isn't that enough ?
Really? Can you give an example instead of blank statements.Which particular 90+ hp car are we talking of here?

I have driven the NHC on the highway (250 Km and back) and was generally happy looking at the tailpipe of most cars starting from the Esteem and upwards.Performance at the upper rev band was seriously disappointing.

Overtaking required planning and it was a futile job on single laned highways with AC(and even without in some instances).
It was not possible to cover any sort of semi-incline in the 3rd gear and many times not even the 2nd gear.

NHC Idsi is obviously no competition with the Baleno,Petra or the Fiesta w.r.t performance. BUt i can bet an Esteem Mpfi and even the Accent(which i don't find so great to drive) can lick it.

As i said before there are other reasons to buy the NHC Idsi. And whatever technology Honda has given in the 8 valves 77 hp SOHC engine - performance is not one of it's attributes. Anybody who likes to drive - or has driven other powerful cars, will be disappointed with the NHC Idsi.

Last edited by imjimmy : 20th December 2005 at 23:01.
Old 21st December 2005, 00:56   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
Really? Can you give an example instead of blank statements.Which particular 90+ hp car are we talking of here?

I have driven the NHC on the highway (250 Km and back) and was generally happy looking at the tailpipe of most cars starting from the Esteem and upwards.Performance at the upper rev band was seriously disappointing.

Overtaking required planning and it was a futile job on single laned highways with AC(and even without in some instances).
It was not possible to cover any sort of semi-incline in the 3rd gear and many times not even the 2nd gear.

NHC Idsi is obviously no competition with the Baleno,Petra or the Fiesta w.r.t performance. BUt i can bet an Esteem Mpfi and even the Accent(which i don't find so great to drive) can lick it.

As i said before there are other reasons to buy the NHC Idsi. And whatever technology Honda has given in the 8 valves 77 hp SOHC engine - performance is not one of it's attributes. Anybody who likes to drive - or has driven other powerful cars, will be disappointed with the NHC Idsi.
NHC is lot better to drive than accent and corsa,and there is not much difference between others also but there is a lot of difference in FE.
Old 21st December 2005, 11:42   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
I Agree with your opinion. But IDSI engine is more tuned for city driving instead of highway driving. For highway driving unbeaten king VTEC is there.

Last edited by narasimha raju : 21st December 2005 at 11:46.
Old 21st December 2005, 13:58   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narasimha raju
I Agree with your opinion. But IDSI engine is more tuned for city driving instead of highway driving. For highway driving unbeaten king VTEC is there.
Now what makes you think that it is unbeaten king blah blah blah..? A Corolla will smoke it any day any time, and I am not even talking of RS. I don't think you want me to elaborate why I brought Corolla in here.
Old 21st December 2005, 15:02   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Now what makes you think that it is unbeaten king blah blah blah..? A Corolla will smoke it any day any time, and I am not even talking of RS. I don't think you want me to elaborate why I brought Corolla in here.
I am mentioning that the VTEC is the best highway performance car in it's segment. If you consider other segments also there are lot of cars which can beat higher segment cars.

Last edited by narasimha raju : 21st December 2005 at 15:03.
Old 21st December 2005, 15:08   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am mentioning that the VTEC is the best highway performance car in it's segment. If you consider other segments also there are lot of cars which can beat higher segment cars.
Well, VTec falls in the 1.6 segment only because of its engine capacity. Prizewise, it is more close to Elantra, Octivia, Optra and Corolla. If you can compare a 8.5-9.0L Vtec with 5.5L Petra, 6.5L baleno, there is no reason why you shouldn't compare it with a Corolla or 1.8TPI. Even if you do compare it with other 1.6 engines, it is no way king and all. It is pretty much close to other cars, give and take few microseconds.
Old 21st December 2005, 15:19   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Well, VTec falls in the 1.6 segment only because of its engine capacity. Prizewise, it is more close to Elantra, Octivia, Optra and Corolla. If you can compare a 8.5-9.0L Vtec with 5.5L Petra, 6.5L baleno, there is no reason why you shouldn't compare it with a Corolla or 1.8TPI. Even if you do compare it with other 1.6 engines, it is no way king and all. It is pretty much close to other cars, give and take few microseconds.
I think in India, the segments are defined based on the length of a car instead of engine capacity. Correct me if I am wrong. For that reason I am not comparing VTEC with Elantra/Corolla/Optra.
Old 21st December 2005, 15:30   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think in India, the segments are defined based on the length of a car instead of engine capacity. Correct me if I am wrong. For that reason I am not comparing VTEC with Elantra/Corolla/Optra.
No. You are correct. But whether it is length or engine capacity, customer has to shell out same money for Vtec, which can buy him an Optra or Corolla or Elantra. Even when compared with similar engine and sized cars (Baleno/Petra/Corsa 1.6), its performance is not blowing off others. I would have loved Vtec if it was producing something like 110bhp from same engine. That would have been very enticing.

Note: Apologies for drifting from main topic of this thread. Just realized it. Sorry!
Old 21st December 2005, 15:37   #54
BHPian

Quote:
No. You are correct. But whether it is length or engine capacity, customer has to shell out same money for Vtec, which can buy him an Optra or Corolla or Elantra. Even when compared with similar engine and sized cars (Baleno/Petra/Corsa 1.6), its performance is not blowing off others. I would have loved Vtec if it was producing something like 110bhp from same engine. That would have been very enticing.

Note: Apologies for drifting from main topic of this thread. Just realized it. Sorry!
The NHC VTEC released in Singapore, Malaysia is having 110 bhp engine. I think they used the same engine in Indian version also. But it might be tuned to take Indian grade fuel hence there may be decrease in bhp to 100.

Note: I too feel sorry for drifting the topic
Old 22nd December 2005, 03:26   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I bet it is a more justified buy at 7.00 which is what the competition is selling for.

Quote:

one more brilliant idea. how about branding bajaj scooters with a honda badge and seling them for 1 lakh. Its a honda in India afterall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
[left]

honda just introduced VTEC thats the latest update and apart from that honda engines are great so they dont need changes,their 77bhp car performs better than most 90+bhp cars isn't that enough ?

Is it? It does? ohh am I surprised ? no not at all.

13-14secs to a ton is what every car with a 75bhp engine takes.

FE is similar to what others have claimed and maybe some1 is getting 1kmpl more.

my friend vtec has been around since ages. people have had vtecs for atleast 4-5 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
My NHC CVT gives 9kmpl...pretty constant doesnt go below more does it go much above in the city with ac. I have never bothered asking wat the company claims coz they always lie when it comes to FE.

well you shouldnt be expecting great FE from an automatic anyways. your FE figure is pretty good.

Quote:
My NHC gives 14-15 KMPL in city with 50% AC and 17.5 KMPL on highway with 100% AC

well thats exactly what I get from my lancer. exactly what many people have claimed from their baleno.So how is the NHC most FE car?
I wouldnt mind compromising that 1kmpl for the better highway driving and the excellent power that competition offer.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 22nd December 2005 at 03:30.
Old 22nd December 2005, 06:51   #56
Senior - BHPian

LOL, i can't believe you guys are still wanking about on this topic.

Quote:
Is it? It does? ohh am I surprised ? no not at all.

13-14secs to a ton is what every car with a 75bhp engine takes.
U should be, coz all the cars that do the ton in 13-14 secs are more than 75bhp.

Ikon 1.6 - 91bhp - 13.70

Lancer 1.5 - 87bhp - 14.94

Corsa 1.6 - 92bhp - 14.50

Accent 1.6 - 101bhp - 13.17

13.9 secs for a 77bhp car weighing more than a ton is creditable.

Power is of no use if a car doesn't have the right gearing.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 22nd December 2005 at 07:45.
Old 22nd December 2005, 23:08   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
i agree honda is the most fuel efficient car in the segment but its too overpriced.

Brand Value buddy!!!.. Honda/Toyota et.al make a killing from their brand image
Old 23rd December 2005, 00:26   #58
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_j
Brand Value buddy!!!.. Honda/Toyota et.al make a killing from their brand image
and how they have managed to create brand value where others have failed ?. I think its due to Quality and reliability. As per my experience Honda makes very reliable vehicle. I own NHC and have completed 17 months but haven't spent any penny on it except oil and oil filter changes.
Old 23rd December 2005, 02:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I own NHC and have completed 17 months but haven't spent any penny on it except oil and oil filter changes.
I owned a Palio S10 for 18 months and didn't spend any penny on it except oil and oil filter changes. I owned a Daewoo Matiz for almost 2 years and spent only on oil and filter changes. I am not saying Honda quality is not that outstanding or anything but trying to say that there is a degree of blind faith that Indians have when it comes to Honda and Toyota. Nothing wrong with that too but other manufacturers aren't given the same lineincy and that's what I don't agree with. Take a look at the thread started by the guy who is having problems with the Innova diesel. There are barely 7-8 replies. Just imagine the chaos it would have created if the thread was on a Ford Ikon, Mondeo, Fiat Palio/Petra or any other car having problems.

Last edited by amit : 23rd December 2005 at 02:34.
Old 23rd December 2005, 03:25   #60
Senior - BHPian

after 4 pages full of posts I guess Iwill leave it to the end consumer to decide.

A honda fan will never buy another car(I personally feel this guy has his eyes closed)

but for the others take a test drive. Dealers also give FE tests. Check for yourself and decide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks