Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2005, 17:48   #16
Max
BHPian

I own NHC and have done 13k km on it and here are the facts.

On Mumbai - PUne express highway driving at 130-140kmph i got average of about 11.5 kpl with 4 pax and little luggage and 100% AC on
On Ahemdabad express highway I got average of about 12.5kmpl driving at about 110-120kmph with 5 pax and luggage AC on
While trip to Shridi I got 13kmpl driving at 100kmph speed 100% AC on with 4 people and fully loaded luggage

In normal driving (50% in city and 50% highway) I get 14.7kmpl average with 98% A/C ON. So my conclusion

City Driving (Mumbai) (40-60kmph) with 100% AC ON - 12.5kmpl
Highway Driving at 80kmpl (2.5k RPM) with 100% AC ON - 16kmpl
Highway driving at 110kmpl (3k RPM) with 100% AC ON - 14-15kmpl
Highway driving at 120-130kmpl (4k RPM) with 100% AC ON - 11-12kmpl

Someone at teambhp told me to keep RPM at 2.6k for best mileage from NHC and i found it to be true. Previously while driving at 100kmph - 110kmph at 3.5k RPM i used to get about 12.5 but since i started driving at 2.5kRPM in proper gears i started getting 14.7 to 15kmpl
Old 16th December 2005, 17:57   #17

I own a NHC GXI from Feb 2004. I do not have any regrets on my purchase. Its a perfect car for City drive. Gives me 14KPL with A/C in the City. On Highways (I drove my car twice on NH9 - Hyderabad to Mumbai) - it returns 19KPL.
Old 16th December 2005, 18:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
There are people who want to drive at 80kmph. They will shift to 5th gear at 50 and then floor it to 80. On a busy highway it means lots of fuel wastage, because they are spending fuel at 100kmph levels but going at an avg of 60. Infact if they had taken the third gear route to 80kmph and then shifted to 5th they would have gotten more efficiency.
Nowdays I am tempted to floor the pedal to increase the speed from 40kmph to 60 kmph without shifting down to 4th. I thought it was better to floor rather than otherway. Not fully with an eye on the mileage, somehow I started doing that.

Thanks for mentioning.
Old 17th December 2005, 02:04   #19
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbmenon
I own a NHC GXI from Feb 2004. I do not have any regrets on my purchase. Its a perfect car for City drive. Gives me 14KPL with A/C in the City. On Highways (I drove my car twice on NH9 - Hyderabad to Mumbai) - it returns 19KPL.
19kmpl !!!!

More details please. how much was average speed. how much people was there in the car ? how did you check your mileage ?:
Old 17th December 2005, 04:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Is FE the only way to judge whether a car is overhyped or not?

GTO

Bullseye GTO.

I will never buy a Honda in India. Overpriced and underperforming especially after the demise of the OHC. dealer performance has deterred so badly that Tej motors of Fiat in Ahmedavad claims to give better service than the honda people.

Yes NHC figures are certainly overhyped. Not even a maruti 800 will give those claimed figures. What with 20kmpl in the city.

I have also had the Landmark Honda guy in Ahmedabad claim that the NHC is way more powerful than the OHC. The time I decided to stay away from honda.

For a realistic FE of NHC y not see wat the owners have posted here on these thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...light=poll+Nhc

hOW CAN YOU EXPECT A fe EFFICIENT BUT LESS POWERFUL ENGINE WITH MORE WEIGHT TO GIVE YOU MIRACULOUS fUEL eFFICIENCY FIGURES????

to GIVE CORRECT INFORMATION IS VERY IMPORTANT.
Old 17th December 2005, 09:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Someone at teambhp told me to keep RPM at 2.6k for best mileage from NHC and i found it to be true. Previously while driving at 100kmph - 110kmph at 3.5k RPM i used to get about 12.5 but since i started driving at 2.5kRPM in proper gears i started getting 14.7 to 15kmpl
Just consider if driving at a low RPM on the highway(you're gonna loose all the fun) is worth the few extra bucks you might save if you get 1-1.5 km more per litre.Nothing like a decent highway to get a car to perform at it's best.
After all what's the use of buying a powerful car if you don't rev it. There's something like driving pleasure.

It gets irritating when you buy a powerful 1.5-1.6L car and all people ask is about the FE! Did you buy the car for that..

Last edited by imjimmy : 17th December 2005 at 09:53.
Old 17th December 2005, 09:52   #22
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
I will never buy a Honda in India. Overpriced and underperforming especially after the demise of the OHC. dealer performance has deterred so badly that Tej motors of Fiat in Ahmedavad claims to give better service than the honda people.
Hey Devarshi, come on man, don't take it hard. We all know that you hate NHC. Absolutely fine.

Quote:
Yes NHC figures are certainly overhyped. Not even a maruti 800 will give those claimed figures. What with 20kmpl in the city.
I am not aware of anyone who claimed 20 in the city. Where did you see that ?

Quote:
to GIVE CORRECT INFORMATION IS VERY IMPORTANT.
I dont think anyone here is giving a false information. FE varies for person to person based on the driving style and the roads, traffic they pass through.

Do you say that 12-13 in city and 16-18 on highway is a false information ? I bet not. If you are looking for proof, checkout Autocar Dec 2003 issue which featured a complete road test. As per Autocar tests, the FE was 11.8 in city and 17.8 on highway for the manual version and 10.8 in city and 15.1 on highway for the CVT.
Old 17th December 2005, 12:28   #23
cnu
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnu
As per Autocar tests, the FE was 11.8 in city and 17.8 on highway for the manual version and 10.8 in city and 15.1 on highway for the CVT.
Please read the mileage as 14.1 instead of 15.1 on the highway for the CVT. That was a typo.
Old 17th December 2005, 12:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hey CNU, No hard feelings. But you will say the same thing when a Honda dealer tells you than NHC is faster than the OHC.In Marketing I learned that If a salesman is fooling around with the consumer than it meants that he thinks the consumer is a fool and dumb person. It is to be taken as an insult. Landmark Honda pissed a consumer off so badly that he bought his CAr from Baroda out of frustration.

I respect the OHC though. Power and good looks. Its price was appropritiate at the time too. But the present strategy of honda is clearly towards robbing Indians.

Quote:
I am not aware of anyone who claimed 20 in the city. Where did you see that ?
Hey CNU what do I see in the posts numbered

post 2 where NHC gets 20kmpl and even more between 80-100 kmph
post 3 goes overboard with 23kmpl
Hey what about post 5?
post 6 claims 19.3 with 5 people, luggage and a/c on. Whats more its the ghats the cars being driven in.

Our Wagon R won the prize for claiming 28kmpl in the WagonR mileage challenge in ahmedabad. The car was driven 60% city and 40% highway. Now should I be shouting from the roofs that WagonRs are the most FE cars in India? The winner IF I remember properly was close to 35kmpl or something. My adreno gave me 95kmpl once on my way to mahudi from ahmedabad. Will you belive that its more FE than splendour? I wouldnt

I agree that different people claim different FE figures. But atleast it should be realistic. Ok once in a while a car can give a magical mileage but what is this funda about 20kmpl each and everytime?

maruti800 Or Maruti Alto can claim 18kmpl easily
a MARUTI ESTEEM Can Claim 16-17

but how do you ask for wonders to come from a car that is overweight and has an underpowered but Fuelefficient engine.

No grudges or complaints anybody But I am just trying to be logical
Apologies if I am hurting anybody's sentiments.
Old 17th December 2005, 13:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey CNU what do I see in the posts numbered

post 2 where NHC gets 20kmpl and even more between 80-100 kmph
post 3 goes overboard with 23kmpl
Hey what about post 5?
post 6 claims 19.3 with 5 people, luggage and a/c on. Whats more its the ghats the cars being driven in.
Firstly, it's not 19.3 but 18.9 kmpl. 2ndly, it wasn't under city conditions.

Nobody here, is saying that the City gives 20kmpl in the City. You're getting confused between the name of the car and the driving conditions. LOL

As for the 18.9kmpl. I drove the car for 420kms and filled 22.2 litres before the tank got filled. 420 / 22.2 = 18.9kmpl.

I understand that you're finding that figure hard to believe but, that is a fact. The Vtec is capable of it (if driven properly). Thats what Vtec was designed to do. Reduce air intake at low rpm, causing the engine to produce less power than a normal engine, resulting in better FE.

If you could get your hands on a power/torque curve chart of the Vtec. Below 3000rpm, it wouldn't be any diff from the 77bhp idsi. It's only after 3000 that the actual power is unleashed. Stay below that rpm and it'll do wonders for your FE.

NHC on the other hand relies on down right low power, for it's FE. The result is that both engines are FE.

Quote:
agree that different people claim different FE figures. But atleast it should be realistic. Ok once in a while a car can give a magical mileage but what is this funda about 20kmpl each and everytime?
Atleast i didn't claim 18.9 everytime. My average FE on the highway is 16-17kmpl. 18.9 was just a one off fig, which i got by driving between 80-100 kmph.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 17th December 2005 at 13:39.
Old 17th December 2005, 15:05   #26
BHPian

I will tell you what I intended :

When the City was launched, Honda claimed..or the general opinion was that it would give the FE of a zen/santro/wagon r. My question is..is it living up to this expectation? And that is why I asked for a comparison with your previous car/s. For example..I had a Matiz before going in for an S10. I used to get 9.5-10kmpl. With the S10, I get 7.5-8kmpl in the same conditions. Now you see the relevance in the comparison? One is an 800 cc car, the other a 1600cc car. The S10 is noticeably more efficient considering the conditions are the same and the person driving is the same. Now my mileage has increased 4 fold and the petrol bills are beginning to hurt. I was looking at the NHC as an option.
Old 17th December 2005, 17:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Initially Honda dealers salesman hyped the FE of NHC or might be sharing the info what he has been asked to.
I was told that it will give solid 16-18 kmpl in city road traffic conditions. Iam not a sort of guy who could arrive at the possible mileage based on the specs. Even today there are people who say that NHC will give you 16 kmpl in city road traffic conditons.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
That should be a diff of 25% on the upperside claimed by their salesman
Old 17th December 2005, 17:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Then why just Honda, don't yo'l remember the RS ad? They were openly mentioning that the RS is capable of 21kmpl (just bcoz OD got such figs during their road test).

It's all a marketing gimic. You guys should understand that. I pity anyone who's bought an RS expecting 21kmpl from a Turbocharged 1.8, weighing close to 1300 kilos.

The question is not what the salesman or the advert says, the question is, r you smart enuf to realise that you're being taken for a ride?

Nobody is asking you to believe what the ads/salesmen say. But, trying to avoid figs put forward by the people who own these cars, is something i don't understand.

Heck, even at a FE competition you find great diff in FE between two similar carS. How did Devarshi manage just 28kmpl from his Wagon R when someone else managed 35???

Does that mean that maruti has duped him by selling him a Wagon R not capable of achieving 35kmpl when driven for FE?

Cmon guys, FE is subjective to driving conditions and driving style. Can't expect every NHC to perform equally.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 17th December 2005 at 18:18.
Old 17th December 2005, 19:11   #29
BHPian

Hey Floyd (and Others), The subject of FE has been ripped threadbare in a parallel thread (with about 250 replies at last count), so why don't you look up for answers to similar questions?

In any case, I don't think FE figures of NHC (iDSI) are hyped because it is a revolutionary Honda technology, consciously compromising on performance in favour of FE. Honda has taken a lot of flak for this compromise, and wouldn't have been stupid to promise what's not achievable.

Yes, FE is subject to driving styles, car and driving conditions... but a little understanding of tech before the talk will go a long way in understanding true capabilities...

First, look at City iDSI spec sheet at http://www.hondacarindia.com/city/pe...ifications.asp. The row "Max. Torque (kg-m / rpm) 12.8 / 2700 " is given for a reason. Torque (to you and me) means "pulling power". So, it's a no-brainer to conclude that if you can sustain an rpm of 2,700 rpm, you sqeeze the best efficiency- that is, given all other factors constant, your engine pulls with minimum fuel. So intelligent FE driving styles attempt to reach this rpm as quickly and sustain for as long as possible. More intelligent FE drivers look at the torque curve and look for "flat rpm regions" in addition. Even more intelligent drivers look for engines which have a "flat profile near the peak" and also ensure that the peak is at relatively low rpms. iDSI meets the expectations of this last category reasonably well, hence rest assured Honda isn't hyping!

Now other (equally important) factors are tyre and tyre pressures (extent of contact with road/ friction/ drag), cleanliness of air-filters (how powerful have you felt when you had a bad cold/ choked nose?), quality of fuel ('Boost is the secret of Kapil's energy!'), phalana, phalana...
Old 17th December 2005, 19:16   #30
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy
Just consider if driving at a low RPM on the highway(you're gonna loose all the fun) is worth the few extra bucks you might save if you get 1-1.5 km more per litre.Nothing like a decent highway to get a car to perform at it's best.
After all what's the use of buying a powerful car if you don't rev it. There's something like driving pleasure.

It gets irritating when you buy a powerful 1.5-1.6L car and all people ask is about the FE! Did you buy the car for that..
jimmy, I didn't said I drive bellow 80kmpl for better mileage. In my daily drive I face 26km highway and on this road it doesn't make much sense to drive more then 80km due to trucks and all sort of slow vehicles because no matter how much more you rave you have to come down to 70-80 within few seconds .

From my post you must have noticed that on express highway I was touching 140km most of the time and on ahemdabad trip 120-130km which was kind of scary for my brother who was giving me instructions to drive slowly every 5 minutes after looking at Speedo

but since this thread is for FE hence i gave facts what my car is capable of.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks