Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2016, 09:42   #616
BHPian

Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Perhaps, we need a new thread that compares mini SUVs to sedans...

I'm interested in SUVs because I'm sick and tired of crawling in and out of the enormous potholes on our highways, and having to slow down to a crawl even on the relatively less broken surfaces for fear of breaking my car's suspension on some brand new trench that formed last week.

In fact, it took me 8 hours today to cover a distance of 250 kms from Kochi to Trivandrum, in my Indigo. While I could go fast once i entered MC Road, even this once-haven of reasonably quick travel is now unpredictable, with occasional hazards, organic and inorganic. If I'd been in an SUV I'm sure I'd have covered the distance hours earlier or at the very least,a lot less worn out.

In fact I'm canceling my booking for the baleno and changing it to S-Cross or TUV.

So, which of the Ecosport, TUV, Nuvosport and the SCross has the best ride on fully broken roads?
I haven't tested the Nuvosport. Among the others the TUV has the best ride on fully broken roads. IMO the 100bhp TUV is a better option over Ecosport and SCross in all aspects except maybe interiors.

However I should warn you that you are expecting too much if you are thinking that a SUV will save you hours over a hatch. The ride is more comfortable and you wont have second thought of going over potholes at speeds. But you cannot just glide over bad roads at high speeds.

Last edited by timuseravan : 13th July 2016 at 09:44.
timuseravan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2016, 11:28   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Perhaps, we need a new thread that compares mini SUVs to sedans...

I'm interested in SUVs because I'm sick and tired of crawling in and out of the enormous potholes on our highways, and having to slow down to a crawl even on the relatively less broken surfaces for fear of breaking my car's suspension on some brand new trench that formed last week.

In fact, it took me 8 hours today to cover a distance of 250 kms from Kochi to Trivandrum, in my Indigo. While I could go fast once i entered MC Road, even this once-haven of reasonably quick travel is now unpredictable, with occasional hazards, organic and inorganic. If I'd been in an SUV I'm sure I'd have covered the distance hours earlier or at the very least,a lot less worn out.

In fact I'm canceling my booking for the baleno and changing it to S-Cross or TUV.

So, which of the Ecosport, TUV, Nuvosport and the SCross has the best ride on fully broken roads?
Duster has one of the best rides on broken roads. The AWD version is slightly better than the normal one.

Of the higher priced offerings, the new Ford Endeavor has a very good suspension and glides over broken surface.

If you can, get a TD on all the short listed vehicles, and find out which suits you best.

Last edited by Aroy : 13th July 2016 at 11:30.
Old 13th July 2016, 17:12   #618
Team-BHP Support

If you want a good ride on broken road, I would be very wary of any of the listed mahindras. They're pitch and wallow machines as far as I've experienced. I agree that the duster is probably the best bet on this front.
Old 16th July 2016, 13:38   #619
BHPian

The Yeti is a good one too.
Old 16th July 2016, 18:54   #620
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Guess I am growing old.
Wiser would be a more apt term

After an year or two, let us know as to in which car did you drive more kms and had less stress while driving? Having less/no stress itself makes the drive pleasurable.

In perfect driving conditions, a sedan/hatch has no match, but where do we get those? In this monsoon, I see most roads losing the top layer followed by ruts and then big potholes. If you are driving a lot, going to a lot of varied places, a sedan/hatch won't just cut-in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
I was eager to test the lights of the XUV and called for a test drive for 7 PM. They were like - "Saar, our test drives are only from 9 AM to 6 PM". I am persuading them for a night drive. I presume that with the high seating of the XUV and its halogen high beams, the visibility should be good.
You may try the new Scorpio as well, has the same headlamp arrangement as XUV. Storme's combo of halogen and those HID low beam works.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 12:08   #621
Distinguished - BHPian

The sudden and tremendous rise in popularity of compact SUVs is taking it's toll on a once-buzzing and highly popular segment - the sedans.

Customers today are either opting for a full-sized, fully-loaded premium hatchback or getting a compact SUV because both are available at almost the same price segment.

The sub-4m sedan and the C2-segment sedan - both are getting snubbed.

Even fleet operators like Ola and Uber are increasingly looking at hatchback options, due to rising congestion in cities and limited availability of parking spaces.

Quote:
Customers looking to upgrade from a hatchback are either opting for a premium bells-and-whistles hatch or going straight to a compact SUV leaving the sedan, earlier the natural upgrade option for small car owners, in the lurch.

"The industry showed 12.2% growth in the first half of this fiscal but segment wise, there are huge variations. The sedan segment is down 13.3% and the sub-4 metre sedan is degrowing for the first time in last 7 years. Customers are moving from hatch to premium hatch and compact SUVs," said Mayank Pareek, president-passenger vehicle business unit, Tata Motors.

"The compact SUV segment has seen many product launches by the big volume players in the industry which has not been visible in the sedan segment so the excitement has been missing as well. Given that SUVs are ruling the roads in the luxury segment as well, India's interest in sedans seems to be a thing of the past," said Rakesh Srivastava, senior VP - sales & marketing, Hyundai Motor India.
ET
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 12:37   #622
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The sudden and tremendous rise in popularity of compact SUVs is taking it's toll on a once-buzzing and highly popular segment - the sedans.
Let's wait and see how long it will take the manufacturers to suddenly wake up and realize that if Indians are ready to pay up to Rs. 18 Lacs for Hyundai Creta, they might be willing to spend similar amount for a VW GOLF or FORD FOCUS too. Because you essentially get a similar 4.2 metre long hatchback that is compact, stylish, feature rich and packed with safety features.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 10:20   #623
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 21st August 2017 at 10:24.
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Received Infraction
Old 21st August 2017, 10:59   #624
A M
BHPian

This is the state of one of the best planned cities in India in monsoons. One of the reasons why compact crossovers are getting popular by the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate-1503293272052.jpg  

Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate-1503293290563.jpg  

Last edited by A M : 21st August 2017 at 11:02. Reason: Typo
A M is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 13:58   #625
BHPian

I am a sedan fan but looking at the state of roads in Bangalore, I feel like buying a Crossover (Ecosport/Duster etc). Bangalore roads have worsened over the years and Crossovers have become order of the day atleast here.
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 18:21   #626
BHPian

I am in the same boat too. Like sedans but the roads are getting horrible by the day and adding to that we are building our company's manufacturing plant.

Want a diesel automatic, test drove the hexa, duster, terrano but somewhere inside I am thinking why not the new verna. But again I right now drive a last gen verna and it bottomed out more than 10 times so far. So really confused.
krishnakarthik1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 22:23   #627
BHPian

Given the atrocious road conditions and what a 20 minute rainfall can do to our cities (especially Bangalore!), SUVs and crossovers will rule the roost for a long time to come...

Having said that, a sedan is always a sedan and it's driving pleasure can't be beaten.
KAUBMW7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 22:57   #628
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently shifted to Gurgaon from Delhi and the roads here are really bad. Combine that with a near total lack of driving sense and a SUB starts looking like a very lucrative option. Both me and my wife have now mutually agreed that going forward we will only buy SUV class vehicles in India.
Old 21st August 2017, 23:18   #629
BHPian

Not long ago i was in this classic dilemma - i loved sitting low, reclined and back in my Palio much to the chagrin of my rear-seat passengers. Considering that, i wanted to upgrade to Linea T-Jet (wife was adamant about a Euro-build kind of car while i was preferring this over the Skoda or VW just because Fiat's ASS is a known devil after 8 years of owning a Palio). And come Aug 1st, Jeep announced its stellar pricing for a driver oriented soft-roader/cross-over or whatever you chose to call the Compass. My wife though was a bit leaning towards the crossovers, always insisted that rear seat comfort has to be top-notch (for those long highway rides when she could tuck her legs up on the seat). So it has been a matter of heart vs heart here - on one hand i would prefer a superb low slung sedan with enough GC to glide over the urban pot-holed roads. On the other hand Jeep presented a modern cross-over with best-in-class engine and mechanicals. My budget was initially 15 lakhs - while the TJet was 3.5L below that, Compass (Sport) was 3.5L above! Finally chose the Compass considering i am going to keep this for close to a decade and i didn't want to live with another end-of-life vehicle (like the Palio MJD). Still a tad bit sad for letting go of the T-Jet, but also starry-eyed nervous about the Compass that i expect to be delivered this coming Ganesh Chaturthi.
paliontile is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 00:26   #630
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
The tall/straight seating position of my ecosport got rid of my lower backache problem. I can't thank Ford enough for launching it. No going back to sedans for me.
Hi, how does the seating position of Ecosport help your back problem?
if a sedan or hatchback has good lumber support, it should also suffice?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks