Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2013, 17:37   #511
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdeshmukh View Post
Hi all,
Finally got my first sedan. I will definitely write on initial ownership review. But just to begin these are few snaps of the AT verna diesel.
The last snap show the average fuel efficiency. 15.4 kmpl on express way. Maiden ride mumbai to pune on its first day.
Congratulations.

So did it come with 2 airbags then ? And alloys ? What was the final deal ? And discounts ?

How is the AT box ? I am asking since people have complained it is a 4 speed AT. I have never driven an AT before so do not know what a 4 speed means.

Look forward to your detailed ownership review thread.
Old 28th April 2013, 20:02   #512
BHPian

Hi,
The ex at comes with 1 airbag. But both front and rear disc breaks.
I drove at 110 on express way I did not have any challenge. The tiptronic works fantastic in ghats. The mileage was almost 15.3 kmpl. I guess this is true value for money.
Just simply close your eyes and buy it.
Cheers
Kaustubh
Old 29th April 2013, 09:37   #513
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I have never driven an AT before so do not know what a 4 speed means.
The "Speeds" in the AT tell you the number of forward gears it has and hence, a 4 speed AT means it is an automatic gearbox with 4 forward gears.

People complain about 4 speed ATs because most cars today, whether automatic or manual come with 5 or 6 forward gears to better utilize the power and torque produced by the engine while delivering good fuel economy.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2013, 11:32   #514
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
.........I'm not sure if any other sedan would have me reaching the same conclusion because the SX4 has one distinct advantage over other sedans, and that is its ability to handle bad roads. So in that respect, the one advantage a cross over has over sedans gets negated if you bring the SX4 into the picture.
Suprisingly I have reached a conclusion exactly opposite to yours

Specifically when it comes to long drives, have found the Safari to be vastly more comfortable and stress free, compared to the honda city. And I would rate the high seating position at the primary factor for this, others being it's ability to handle potholes and visibility of oncoming vehicles.

Since the SX4 already has a high seating position, so it probably offers the best of both worlds.
Old 8th October 2013, 11:46   #515
BHPian

I cannot find a clear definition for what an SUV is, in India. In the traditional context globally, SUVs have 4x4 ability for handling rugged roads. But in the Indian context, vehicles such as Ford Ecosport, Renault Duster are seen as SUVs (maybe by laymen) though they lack 4x4 ability. From a consumer standpoint what distinguishes these cars from hatchbacks is mainly the higher ground clearance of around 200 mm & hence higher seating. Most cars today have GC of 185 mm or lower. To add to the confusion, the finance minister defined SUVs as vehicles with GC more than 170 mm, engine capacity more than 1500 cc & length more than 4 m (all conditions to be satisfied) - http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...vs-excise-duty.

While some vehicles are clearly SUVs, such as Fortuner or Scorpio. However, in today's market the focus & the interest is generated most by 'SUVs' or 'hatchbacks' such as Duster & Ecosport. Maybe we have to create our own definition for an SUV as a vehicle with high GC of atleast 200 mm & without a separate boot to distinguish them from sedans! In that case does Fiat Punto also qualify as an SUV since it is almost there with a GC of 195 mm? Food for thought!
Old 8th October 2013, 20:17   #516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanand View Post
I cannot find a clear definition for what an SUV is, in India. In the traditional context globally, SUVs have 4x4 ability for handling rugged roads. But in the Indian context, vehicles such as Ford Ecosport, Renault Duster are seen as SUVs (maybe by laymen) though they lack 4x4 ability.
Not just in India, but world over the gap is blurring. There are terms like soft-roaders (Tarmac dwelling cousins of off-roaders) in the play for a while now. So called SUVs like Captiva and CRVs are actually soft-roaders. Compared to them Yeti (4x4 version) is far better equipped to handle off roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csanand View Post
While some vehicles are clearly SUVs, such as Fortuner or Scorpio. However, in today's market the focus & the interest is generated most by 'SUVs' or 'hatchbacks' such as Duster & Ecosport. Maybe we have to create our own definition for an SUV as a vehicle with high GC of atleast 200 mm & without a separate boot to distinguish them from sedans! In that case does Fiat Punto also qualify as an SUV since it is almost there with a GC of 195 mm? Food for thought!
Unfortunately, it's not that black and white anymore. In fact Scorpio (Yeti as well) has only 185mm ground clearance, and by your definition can't be called as SUV. (Actually GC is a misleading term to evaluate off roading capability of a vehicle).

In a way, we as the customers have more choice to select based on life style and needs.
Old 9th October 2013, 10:05   #517
Senior - BHPian

For someone who is in the market for a new car but one who doesn't have any definite plans of taking long trips, at least not in the short-term, is now is a good time to buy mini-SUV's/SUV's/MUV's? The likes of Ecosport, Duster, Terrano, Ertiga, Aria, Innova etc.?

Or should one wait for the competition to arrive? AFAIK, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and Suzuki are all working on bringing competing models to the market in ~ 1-2 years.

Or just fish around and find one decent sedan instead?

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 9th October 2013 at 10:12.
Old 9th October 2013, 10:26   #518
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
For someone who is in the market for a new car but one who doesn't have any definite plans of taking long trips, at least not in the short-term, is now is a good time to buy mini-SUV's/SUV's/MUV's? The likes of Ecosport, Duster, Terrano, Ertiga, Aria, Innova etc.?

Or should one wait for the competition to arrive? AFAIK, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and Suzuki are all working on bringing competing models to the market in ~ 1-2 years.
If you have the patience, then it would be worth to wait at least till next year. When competition heats up the demi-gods on the high pedestals will be brought down to their knees. XUV5OO was the king when it was launched, soon it was shown its place when the Duster was launched. Duster ruled the roost for almost a year, but it too was humbled with the launch of Ecosport. Soon Ecosport will be brought to its senses when Maruti, Hyundai come up with their mini-SUVs. So competition is good

Ertiga, Aria, Innova etc are in different league. These are people movers. If you want to venture on long trips with with 6-7 people on board with you, only then consider these vehicles.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 10:51   #519
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Really depends on your requirement – Aria or Innova makes sense if you’ve a large family to move around regularly. The mini-SUVs works if you prefer the looks or your regular commute calls for a car with high GC.
My suggestion – get a nice sedan
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2013, 13:08   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMo View Post
Not just in India, but world over the gap is blurring. There are terms like soft-roaders (Tarmac dwelling cousins of off-roaders) in the play for a while now. So called SUVs like Captiva and CRVs are actually soft-roaders. Compared to them Yeti (4x4 version) is far better equipped to handle off roads.

Unfortunately, it's not that black and white anymore. In fact Scorpio (Yeti as well) has only 185mm ground clearance, and by your definition can't be called as SUV. (Actually GC is a misleading term to evaluate off roading capability of a vehicle).

In a way, we as the customers have more choice to select based on life style and needs.
Yes, ground clearance cant be used as the only parameter. Since there are no clear definitions for an SUV, I think intuitively one knows by looking at it when a vehicle is an SUV or trying to be an SUV - something that isnt a sedan or a hatchback or a MUV !

The mini SUV segment is the one to watch for in the coming year providing lot of choices to consumers with new launches lined up.

However it remains to be seen if mini SUVs/ cross over SUVs sustain the hype that has been generated these days by the likes of Duster & Ecosport. Hatchbacks still rule, followed by sedans & SUVs form the lowest % share (around 9-10%), even lower than MUVs as per the body style distribution from monthly sales figures.
Old 9th October 2013, 13:31   #521
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

One basic question for you : If you do not have any plans for making long trips why do you need a SUV. The urban SUV's like Duster and Ecosport are nothing different from a regular sedan except the high GC.

You will see so many sedans and hatchbacks doing Leh, it is not that sedans can't do difficult terrains that an urban SUV can. Only thing is that you need to be more careful with a sedan.

A powerful sedan with good handling and ride comfort will give you the pleasure that a SUV can never do.
Old 9th October 2013, 13:53   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
One basic question for you : If you do not have any plans for making long trips why do you need a SUV. The urban SUV's like Duster and Ecosport are nothing different from a regular sedan except the high GC.

You will see so many sedans and hatchbacks doing Leh, it is not that sedans can't do difficult terrains that an urban SUV can. Only thing is that you need to be more careful with a sedan.

A powerful sedan with good handling and ride comfort will give you the pleasure that a SUV can never do.
The definition of fun and pleasure is not similar for everyone.
I have a Linea and a Scorpio at my place,and i enjoy driving both.
However i must say that for me its the Scorpio that beats the Linea in terms of pleasure and driving comfort over long distances.
Old 9th October 2013, 14:20   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
The definition of fun and pleasure is not similar for everyone.
I have a Linea and a Scorpio at my place,and i enjoy driving both.
However i must say that for me its the Scorpio that beats the Linea in terms of pleasure and driving comfort over long distances.
Fully agree with you Akshay that everyone has the right to make his own choice.

For the record I too drive a Linea and though I do not own a SUV but had the opportunity to drive a friend's Fortuner on some long drives. Personally I would prefer driving a sedan than a SUV unless it is specifically required.
Old 9th October 2013, 16:37   #524
BHPian

I shifted to Yeti from the Swift and I have enjoyed each one of the 12000 odd Kms I have done over the past year. For me there is no question of a sedan beating a Yeti. I have climbed sandy mounds, driven over fine sandy shoulders that no sedan could ever do to escape from long jams on the highway.

The bigger wheels help in covering the smaller potholes. I have just come back from a 750 km trip where I had to drive through really heavy cloudbursts that had flooded the NH2. The way the Yeti handled it all I never felt unsafe. The higher seating position really does help .
Old 9th October 2013, 16:58   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcrazy60 View Post
I shifted to Yeti from the Swift and I have enjoyed each one of the 12000 odd Kms I have done over the past year. For me there is no question of a sedan beating a Yeti. I have climbed sandy mounds, driven over fine sandy shoulders that no sedan could ever do to escape from long jams on the highway.

The bigger wheels help in covering the smaller potholes. I have just come back from a 750 km trip where I had to drive through really heavy cloudbursts that had flooded the NH2. The way the Yeti handled it all I never felt unsafe. The higher seating position really does help .
You are 100% correct. Moreover Yeti is a full fledged off-roader. Believe me my Amaze's whole posture disturbs if i go over a pothhole in speed, sedans are not made for this.
Even Duster's handling is quite excellent.
But if you are driving in city completely, a sedan is more practical option.
skyfire2892 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks