Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2019, 17:07   #661
BHPian

Re: Should you buy an SUV? The definitive Sedan vs SUV debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post

buy an Octavia and take an XUV from Zoomcar IF and WHEN I go off-roading.
Please correct me if I am wrong but I do not think zoom car offers the AWD XUV or the 4*4 Hexa to do an off-roading. They would be giving a 4*2 which is pretty useless if you want to do some serious off-roading (or even soft roading for that matter). The only advantage would be a high GC than your sedan but apart from that those cars will also only go where your sedan can go anyway.
Old 3rd March 2019, 17:00   #662
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
My recent car buying dilemma has led me to reopen this thread. For last 2 year , I ve been searching for a good SUV.
Want to run the dea in this group to hear different views. Does it make sense to buy Skoda Octavia DSG ( petrol or diesel) instead of the SUVs in the price bracket of 20-30 lacs?
Thank you all for sharing your views. I booked Octavia 1.8 TSI today.
Lambydude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:58   #663
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
When I am in my Vento, I have to say little prayers each time there's a scrape sound.
My mind has also started wondering even if I got my own Endeavour / Fortuner, would I really take it down a muddy path and over rocks? I'd be thinking of damages etc., and maybe my penny-pinching nature will stop me from doing that. Instead, I'd fully load up on insurance in a Zoomcar XUV and just (try to) climb over that kinda terrain.
Most people dont go offroading in their SUVs, and they dont need to. It is precisely the prayer you say when you drive your Vento that people can turn into a Bollywood melody if/when driving an SUV.

Also, like Centaur said, if/when you intend to go off the beaten track, to access a resort, a waterfall, a friend's homestay, or even to get out of a jam on the highway through the adjacent fields during a highway trip, you would appreciate the ability and confidence to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong but I do not think zoom car offers the AWD XUV or the 4*4 Hexa to do an off-roading.
Bang On...!!!
Quote:
Congratulations, it is the best sedan in its segment and a couple above, a friend bought one in dark silver last month and is very happy with it.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2019, 19:02   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Please correct me if I am wrong but I do not think zoom car offers the AWD XUV or the 4*4 Hexa to do an off-roading. They would be giving a 4*2 which is pretty useless if you want to do some serious off-roading (or even soft roading for that matter). The only advantage would be a high GC than your sedan but apart from that those cars will also only go where your sedan can go anyway.
Absolutely incorrect. 4*4 is not required for offroading except in areas of slush, sand, snow and extreme articulation. More than 90% of Indian terrain is accessible to a 4*2 SUV with 4*4 required for the remaining terrain. A sedan can't even look at the roads a good SUV can tackle. When I mean a good SUV I mean a proper body on frame one like a Storme, Fortuner, Hexa or Scorpio. An Xuv is merely a large front wheel drive hatchback and even the 4*4 is without low range.
AirbusCapt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 10:15   #665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Absolutely incorrect. 4*4 is not required for offroading except in areas of slush, sand, snow and extreme articulation. More than 90% of Indian terrain is accessible to a 4*2 SUV with 4*4 required for the remaining terrain. A sedan can't even look at the roads a good SUV can tackle. When I mean a good SUV I mean a proper body on frame one like a Storme, Fortuner, Hexa or Scorpio. An Xuv is merely a large front wheel drive hatchback and even the 4*4 is without low range.
I suppose my definition of off-roading differs from your's in that case. Just going around in a bit of slush isn't off-roading for me (thats more of soft-roading is what I would say). When I mean off road, I am not intending at places only with snow or slush or sand. I intend at places where a regular 4*2 will struggle and wont move much irrespective of it being a sedan or an SUV/MUV. There you actually need a proper transfer case with good ground clearance and articulation.

While Body on frame is a characteristic of an SUV, it isn't the only one, basis which you seem to have included the Hexa in the list of your SUVs because the Hexa doesn't come with a low range either like the SUV. While the Hexa has proven a lot in its off road capabilities, SUVs with a proper low range are a class apart for proper off-roading (am not even referring to soft-roading here). You could get "off" the road with the ones like Hexa and SUV but that isn't off-roading IMHO
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 11:31   #666
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Great! Colour and deal offered?
Old 4th March 2019, 11:55   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Great! Colour and deal offered?
Black colour. Other options were white and quartz grey. While I liked white, it would take at least 2 months waiting period. Grey none of us liked.

Since I'm a current Skoda customer I got the loyalty discount and minor discount on insurance.
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 12:04   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Black colour. Other options were white and quartz grey. While I liked white, it would take at least 2 months waiting period. Grey none of us liked.

Since I'm a current Skoda customer I got the loyalty discount and minor discount on insurance.
Great choice, the black looks hot. Take a look around the Octavia threads and a couple of owners have dolled up their blacks even more to make it look stunning. Don't forget to budget for the Kagu mats and change to Michelin P4ST as it is just come into stock. I have the P3STs which are nearly as good.

Picture awaited of course!
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 11:41   #669
BHPian

This is a nice thread. This is exactly what constantly keeps going on in my mind in the background after I sold my sedan 4 months back. This is like the famous line from the drama " To be or not to be" though in this case, it's more like "To be SUV, or not to be SUV" .
I like sedan for their driving characteristics, more stable ride, better comfort whereas I like SUV for their practicality, ride quality over bad roads, more space. Nowadays there are very limited options in D segment sedans and they have becomes expensive too.
amit1agrawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 21:26   #670
Senior - BHPian

I have always favoured Sedans over SUVs. I had a Rapid for 6 years and it was fantastic to drive on the highways, excellent grip and confidence inspiring dynamics.

However, when I had to change I did consider all options in C segment, right from the Verna, City, Vento to the S Cross and the Creta.

And after a lot of extensive test drives, it was the Creta that made sense. Spacious, easy to drive and park in the city, handles broken City roads with ease, and also has a powerful 1.6 diesel in place. So I do know that the dynamics of this sort of a Car would not match up to the sedan, but with highway driving being only 3-4 times a year, I had to prioritise what is best for the City and in this regard a car like the Creta out scores sedans like the Honda City and the Verna by a big margin.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 14:07   #671
Senior - BHPian

I am in a similar quandary due to host of SUV-ish vehicles available in the market. Currently I am looking for an upgrade from Ford Figo 1st generation which has currently run 1.35L kms. The budget is around 12L on road. My only reason for upgrade is "comfort for travel sick passenger (including me) , reducing travel fatigue" compared to Figo. I drive around 80 K.M per day in semi city condition.

I guess Duster 85 is an ideal choice but having a dated cheap interior, expensive repair, not so great A.S.S , subpar resale and possible launch of new version next year are making me look for other options.

Test drove Eco Sport and Nexon but did not like the ride quality. The all new Ertiga was also disappointing. The Ertiga had constant vertical movement over undulations. Similarly since SUVs have higher center of gravity compared to my old Ford Figo, I guess I tend to feel more vertical movements in them. On the other hand I am tired of using hydraulic power ("tight") steering of Figo in city and the "thud" sound of suspension when it goes over potholes , uneven bridge joints or broken roads (which are very frequent now a days). So looking for a sedan or SUV which can give me a comfortable journey. I am not too keen about handling since I don’t take corners aggressively. Knowing the risks on Indian highways, I always stick to 80-100kmph.

Kindly help me to come out of this dilemma. Should I look for sedan options like Ciaz / Verna OR Creta 1.4 E+ / S-cross is better option? I am not able to assess the comfort factor by driving it for some kilometers offered during test drive. Visited couple of dealership but could not get 2nd generation Creta for test drive. All of them had old gen Creta as test drive vehicle. The zoom car has only first generation Creta on rental. I heard newer version of Creta has better suspension setup, hence I am currently eyeing Creta 1.4 E+ diesel.

Anyone here has upgraded from Figo to likes of Diesel Creta/ S-cross OR Verna/Ciaz. How is the comfort level compared to Gen-1 Figo.
Old 11th March 2019, 15:40   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
I am in a similar quandary due to host of SUV-ish vehicles available in the market. Currently I am looking for an upgrade from Ford Figo 1st generation which has currently run 1.35L kms. The budget is around 12L on road. My only reason for upgrade is "comfort for travel sick passenger (including me) , reducing travel fatigue" compared to Figo. I drive around 80 K.M per day in semi city condition.

I

Kindly help me to come out of this dilemma. Should I look for sedan options like Ciaz / Verna OR Creta 1.4 E+ / S-cross is better option? I am not able to assess the comfort factor by driving it for some kilometers offered during test drive. Visited couple of dealership but could not get 2nd generation Creta for test drive. All of them had old gen Creta as test drive vehicle. The zoom car has only first generation Creta on rental. I heard newer version of Creta has better suspension setup, hence I am currently eyeing Creta 1.4 E+ diesel.

Anyone here has upgraded from Figo to likes of Diesel Creta/ S-cross OR Verna/Ciaz. How is the comfort level compared to Gen-1 Figo.
At an abstract level, your key issue is you need a car which would reduce your driving fatigue.
How do we achieve that?
1. Car with better ride comfort
2. Reducing the work you do. I mean getting an automatic.

I think your answer should be a combination of above options. My suggestions are-
1. IF you are adamant on SUV, then creta or even captur
2. If sedan is okay then Rapid/ vento DSG automatic. Preferably diesel since you drive 80kms per day
Lambydude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 16:40   #673
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My only reason for upgrade is "comfort for travel sick passenger (including me) , reducing travel fatigue" compared to Figo. I drive around 80 K.M per day in semi city condition.
Please be extra cautious about the rear seat ride of Creta, and test it out as a rear seat passenger as well. We bought a new gen Creta 8 months and are severely disappointed at the bumpy rear ride and general seat comfort. Front is excellent.

Nothing beats the Duster in this regard for front & back users. We are still working out if we should trade in the Creta for a heavily discounted Duster including spending 50k on some Karlsson or Stanley interiors
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 17:30   #674
BHPian

Six months ago, I shifted back to a sedan (Octavia 1.8 TSI L&K) after driving XUV for alomst seven years. Boy, did I miss driving a low slung, powerful petrol sedan!
For all it's might and height, driving a SUV is not as pleasurable as a sedan, period.
Compared to a SUV, there is zero body roll in Octavia. Those nasty flyover joints are actually easier in the car, as you don't move side to side while crossing.
Acceleration is just mind blowing and with height adjustable seat you get sports car feel if you sit at lowest setting.
Surprisingly, I have driven on worst possible speed brakers & broken roads, this car was able to clear everything that I threw at it.

Few things that I miss in this sedan - the sense of space inside the vehicle & sense of respect from other road users. Moreover, XUV has better seats with excellent thigh support.

Apart from these, Octavia is miles ahead in everything else. So I am back to sedan clan after a long gap
Acharya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 17:32   #675
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Friend and fellow TBHP member "batterylow" upgraded from Gen-1 Figo to S-Cross. I remember him mentioning that the suspension setup in the S-Cross is very well balanced. Take a test drive of the S-Cross as well.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks