Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2023, 16:08   #76
BANNED

Re: Transfer of registration after death of vehicle's owner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
"Wife of XXXX" that is my father in law.

If there is a Will of the deceased person, then ....
Ideally, it is Husband name / Father name mentioned in death certificate. For my father it is his father's name and my grand father has been dead since ages. So, not much help in that case.

No will and multiple legal heirs, that's why all these paper works on trail.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th February 2024 at 21:18. Reason: typos
Old 6th July 2023, 13:52   #77
BHPian

My thought process on this - I have made a folder (physical and digital too) of all the important documents my wife would need in case of an emergency. This includes (for all members in the family):
1. Health insurance policies
2. Life insurance policies
3. My will (still to be registered)
4. Marriage certificate
5. My company appointment letter (since it has life and medical coverage)
6. Health cards from the TPA
7. Investment details
8. Username and passwords (only physical copy) to all bank / insurance / investments etc.

Planning for a "ready reckoner" of what to do in case of emergency. If anyone has a list which can be shared, that would be much appreciated.
MarutiGuy1977 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2023, 13:27   #78
BHPian

I had to do this recently in Mumbai after my father passed away, the process was fairly simple with the help of a nearby driving school who managed it all. Overall it took about 3 weeks to get a new RC. My father had not left a will so an ad had to be released as a legal heir for other claimants but that was also managed by the agent so no stress for me.

I had a bigger problem with shifting the Insurance name - ICICI Lombard was remarkably unhelpful, despite reaching out to some friends in senior positions in the company, similar experience from Maruti Insurance through which the policy was purposed, just kept giving numbers to call and those people would never respond. I am now very worried about my heath insurance with them if this is the kind of customer service they offer and plan to switch my policy.

In the end, I gave up trying to transfer the policy and opted for new insurance policy from Acko which was done within 24 hours without any fuss and the customer service reps were super helpful, though I had to shell out higher premium and lost about a couple of months of coverage.

I was a bit surprised by the higher premium since two of my existing cars are insured with Acko for the last 2 years and I have not made a single claim and neither had my father ever made a claim on the car but given the situation just got it done.

Overall, the transfer of RC and car was smooth and painless, now only hope the insurance guys would be better equipped to help in such situations.
sunilrs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 10:46   #79
BHPian

As per the CMVR-1989, below is the procedure for “transfer of ownership on death of the owner of the vehicle”
Attached Thumbnails
Transfer of registration after death of vehicle's owner?-img_5566.jpeg  

Old 11th October 2023, 11:25   #80
BHPian

Hi all,
I would need an advise on a situation my friend is in. His father passed away 4 months back. Upon enquiring with the RTO in Kerala he was informed that a Legal heirship certificate is required and applied for the same. Now he has got the certificate, but the issue is the vehicle has a loan, which will end only in Feb 2024. The loan is in his father's name, but he has been the guarantor and the deductions were happening from his account from day 1.

Will it be possible to transfer the ownership to his name with the loan active? On contacting an RTO agent he informed that one has to close the loan to enable transfer and to continue using the vehicle and transfer only when the loan is closed, which I do not feel is the right thing to do.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th November 2023 at 22:58. Reason: Typos and punctuation.
Old 11th October 2023, 11:50   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj4466 View Post
Will it be possible to transfer the ownership to his name with the loan active?
AFAIK it would not be possible to transfer since the loan is in the name of a deceased person. The best way is to close the loan. Just check out one thing carefully. You (or your friend) can use the car up to 3 months as a legal heir, not continue to use it till the loan is closed. My friend garaged his car till the transfer was complete.

PS: I am not a lawyer.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th November 2023 at 22:57. Reason: punctuation.
Neomobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 19:34   #82
BHPian

Hello everyone,

One of our cars is registered in my grandfather's name. He expired in the year 2021. There was no will left for the ownership of the car. One of our family friends said that to transfer the ownership to my father, sign of my grandfather will be required and in this case, it should be forged.

The car has no active loan on it. Can the car be transferred to my father's name directly or first it needs to be transferred to my grandmother's name first and then to my father's name? Also, what documents will be required?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th November 2023 at 22:56. Reason: typos.
Old 25th November 2023, 12:55   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomobile View Post
AFAIK it would not be possible to transfer since the loan is in the name of a deceased person. The best way is to close the loan. Just check out one thing carefully. You (or your friend) can use the car up to 3 months as a legal heir, not continue to use it till the loan is closed. My friend garaged his car till the transfer was complete.

PS: I am not a lawyer.
Thank you for the response. We closed the loan and initiated the transfer process. It's now complete and we received the new RC, now have to transfer the insurance to new owners name.
raj4466 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2023, 13:05   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiiityaaa View Post
Hello everyone,

One of our cars is registered in my grandfather's name. He expired in the year 2021. There was no will left for the ownership of the car. One of our family friends said that to transfer the ownership to my father, sign of my grandfather will be required and in this case, it should be forged.

The car has no active loan on it. Can the car be transferred to my father's name directly or first it needs to be transferred to my grandmother's name first and then to my father's name? Also, what documents will be required?
What your friend has suggested is not the proper solution. The legal way is to get a legal heirship certificate of the deceased person. All the legal heirs has to come for a hearing to the RTO and can transfer the ownership to any of the heirs or anyone you desire.
Old 25th November 2023, 13:19   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj4466 View Post
What your friend has suggested is not the proper solution.
Yup, everyone including me were against it. Came to a conclusion to not to do anything illegal.
Quote:
The legal way is to get a legal heirship certificate of the deceased person.
I had a talk with our neighbour who works in RTO. He suggested better transfer the ownership to grandmother's name first, as it will be much easier and then transfer it on your father's name. Thank you so much for your response!
Old 21st December 2023, 22:42   #86

Has anyone done a change of registration of a car in Bangalore recently?

I need to have my car which is registered in my late fathers name to mine, he passed away more than a year ago, and I haven't been able to do this because of various reasons, I did go through the thread and found a list of documents that needs to be submitted for the process, I am also looking for agent referrals who do this in and around Bangalore North (Cooke Town).

I have the original death certificate, surviving member certificate. family tree and the usual documents of the car. I would appreciate any pointers from anyone who went through this process recently.

Thank you
Old 26th February 2024, 17:27   #87

Hello,

My father passed away in Feb 2022 and he had willed his vehicle to me. I need your inputs on which option is better:

- How to transfer the vehicle in my name and then sell it since it is already 7 yrs old?

- Can i sell the vehicle off using my dads will as a supporting impact of Insurance policy validity since the same is in my dads name and I drive the car?

Thank you

Last edited by KarthikK : 26th February 2024 at 17:32. Reason: Minor edits
Old 26th February 2024, 17:58   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketqueen22 View Post
- How to transfer the vehicle in my name and then sell it since it is already 7 yrs old?
Since the will states you get car, transfer to your name is easier option.

Also, even without the will, you still need to transfer to a family member before any further action (selling etc). Basically, cannot transfer to anyone else outside the immediate family at this time - unless you have pre-signed transfer forms.
Old 26th February 2024, 18:52   #89

Thank you. Can this be done online?
Vehicle is MH02 registration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks