Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 20:37   #16
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Alert - BBMP Plans to collect fee for parking outside the house

I support this move. But the only problem I see is they are charging only Rs 100 per annum. If this has to act as a deterrent, it must be Rs 100 per night. As long as BBMP collects an amount equivalent to the prevailing rental rates in the area, I do not see an issue. If they do not do this, people who add parking space in their houses would always feel cheated.
Old 4th March 2011, 22:10   #17
Senior - BHPian

I think this is a good move. Rs. 100 per annum is chicken-feed for someone who owns a car. If, however, the system is administered as per the street parking permit scheme in European cities, it will work well.

This means that BBMP has a good idea of how many cars can be parked on the street safely in a given locality, and issues only those many permits for cars per year. This will be accompanied by strict enforcement - fining car owners who park without a permit.

Will it work in reality? I hope so. But, I must admit, I am sadly idealistic and optimistic.
Old 4th March 2011, 22:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well, I am neither for or against this, but want to ask a question on the motive of this move.

And also a question to the people who have put their points here saying it is good as it will reduce congestion.

Take this scenario. A street has 20 houses and say all 20 houses have the landlord staying below and one tenant on the house above. All tenants have a car, which they are forced to park on the road, as the owners car is parked in the garage. BBMP levies the fee, collects the 100. The tenant pays the 100, and then what happens, a magical garage opens up to accommodate his car ;-)

He will still park the car on the road and there will still be the crowd and the blocked roads. So in the end, BBMPs objective is questionable as they are trying to capitalize and make the whole city a parking zone.

The objective here is not to reduce congestion or take cars off the road. They have conjured up a good cash cow
Old 4th March 2011, 23:41   #19
BHPian

This is just a dirty money making move, nothing else. Agreed that 100 rs per annum is not a huge amount. but as they say if all the roads and pavements belong to BBMP, can they assure the safety of the vehicles too? if my car gets stolen or vandalised by some drunkard, will the BBMP bear the cost of repairs? people dont park on the roads because they enjoy it, just that they need to choose between not buying a car or parking it on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnayak View Post
I support this move. But the only problem I see is they are charging only Rs 100 per annum. If this has to act as a deterrent, it must be Rs 100 per night.
okay, so charge is 100 Rs per night. and what about the 15 lakh vehicles parked on the road now? crush it / sell it ? or should all these owners leave for some other city which has enough parking? nice way of looking at things. ever heard of town planning? it's ok to build up illegal structures by paying bribe to BBMP, it's ok to rent out houses for huge sums to people and not provide parking as well; and then complain there is not enough space because all of them are parking on the road. WOW!

every street / locality will have some illegal structures built up. why not demolish them and create Multi level car parking and then charge 100rs per month for each car?

Last edited by ZENnist : 4th March 2011 at 23:48.
Old 4th March 2011, 23:51   #20
BHPian

Re: 100!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post

But this move will also mean the congestion on the roads will be reduced, which is a good sign.
I didnt get that! How is congestion going to get reduced ? People who park cars outside will continue to park it there by paying the aforesaid fee. You think someone will sell his car against paying a fee?
This is in no way going to help the 'intended' cause if it is to remove congestion.

Only section benefited will be the BBMP!

And beware this is Blore, once they start this successfully, tomo this 100 can go into 1000! Iam totally against this. Very very very BAAADDDDD! To me its similar to the step taken recently by the govt wrt ration cards => Just to cause unnecessary problem to the poor public, but I donno why!
Old 4th March 2011, 23:59   #21
BHPian

Err... A small correction..

I dont think Basavanagudi and Malleshwaram areas will be affected(They are pretty much big houses in these areas with parking facilities).

I m wondering about how BBMP will manage to find out vehicle owners details in areas like Cottonpet, Kalasipalyam and areas closer to City Market (Heck, trying to find the existence of roads itself is a big joke), forget about collecting fees
Old 5th March 2011, 12:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
I m wondering about how BBMP will manage to find out vehicle owners details in areas like Cottonpet, Kalasipalyam and areas closer to City Market (Heck, trying to find the existence of roads itself is a big joke), forget about collecting fees
I agree. I dont think making parking legal on the roads and footpaths is the way to go. Does not solve the problem for residents and commuters. MLPs are the way to go.

Parik
Old 5th March 2011, 12:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

I think they should start levying fee on commercial vehicles parked on roads first. They can make a lot of money if thats their intention
Old 5th March 2011, 12:42   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Street parking should be pay, everywhere. No exceptions.

In Bangalore today, shady looking attendants collect 'parking charges' in prime areas and God knows where all of it goes! It would be better of this was legalised and the money collected put to some good use. And maybe it helps get some vehicles off the street which is all good.
Old 5th March 2011, 14:56   #25
BHPian

Re: 100!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
I didnt get that! How is congestion going to get reduced ? People who park cars outside will continue to park it there by paying the aforesaid fee. You think someone will sell his car against paying a fee?
This is in no way going to help the 'intended' cause if it is to remove congestion.
I think what Pavan meant was people will park their cars in doors now, thus reducing congestion on roads. 100 rupees is not much (perhaps a liter of petrol at the end of the year?) and people will cough it up and obtain a licence to park on the roads. And as mentioned already, the 100 will change to 1000 without warning.

This is no more than a money making ploy to contribute to the election fund. This move will do nothing for the roads/pavements, just go on to ensure that the same babus stay on the same chairs after the election and continue coming up with newer ideas to milk the public.
Old 5th March 2011, 16:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Just thought of one scenario happening. Since the people will actually pay for the money, they wont mind parking thier vehicles in front of others house.

I can imagine a person having two vehicles parking his vehicles in front of neighbours vehicle. They have now taken permitted parking stickers from the govt no one can stop him legally.
Old 6th March 2011, 13:44   #27
BHPian

It is evident that it is a revenue generation plan for the cash strapped BBMP.

Like others have suggested that paying Rs. 100 is actually giving you a parking space for 12 months (throwaway compared to what you would pay in a parking lot/mall). IMO, its a good start. The way I see it, the rate would be hiked annually that would, at some point in time, prove to be a deterrent.

Personally, makes it easier to park my car in the driveway and not having to reverse multiple times because of another carelessly parked car at the garage door.
Old 6th March 2011, 18:58   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
What next ? Pedestians being charged for walking on pavements ???
I don't understand why you thin this way!!!

Are you not utilizing the road resource to park you vehicle? They are not asking for driving your vehicle on the roads [Agree we already paid for it]

Rs.100 [if really true] is dead cheap. Imagine the persons pay laks of rupees for "buying" parking for an apartment. No not just covered one, but sometimes even for a open parking. So, whats the problem in paying to BBMP and help them to raise funds.

How they are going to handle logistics, is something they need to worry about. Not us

Personally, I think its a good move.
Old 6th March 2011, 22:12   #29
BHPian

There are many residents in bangalore who have built 2/3 floors within a 60*40 or 30*40 site without providing parking space for even a single car. Such residents should be charged a parking fee for parking their cars on the road. IMO they should be charged more than Rs.100 p/a . It would be interesting though to see how BBMP goes about implementing this.
Old 7th March 2011, 20:42   #30
BHPian

Step1 : The contract would be given to local gunda.
Step2: Local gunda will check every night.
Step3: One fine day morning, you would not find your car where you parked.
Step4: Sir, As we don't find the parking sticker from BBMP , we towed your car sir. Please pay (500 -1000) and take your car sir( By local gunda)

Step5: If I dont pay ?????
Step6: It is the rule sir. If you dont pay , pay the fine at court and take sir.

Step 6 can be any thing. What I have mentioned is very one.

You can expect , minimum of 1000 cases per day like this.

This is so pathetic of charging for parking even on residential areas.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks