Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2011, 09:41   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Alert - BBMP Plans to collect fee for parking outside the house

IMHO this is a good step taken by BBMP towards charging for parking in BBMP Space. But I find 100 Rs/year too low an amount. It should be at least 100 rs/month if not higher.

Some people have pointed out why is BBMP charging this if govt. is collecting road tax. Road tax is for betterment of road and not for utilizing road for parking one's car permanently. People buying lacs of ruppes of cars should have planned parking slots at home else they should be willing to shell out a small percentage to BBMP for parking on the road.

Some one has asked what would people already having cars do. Answer is simple pay up if parking on the road or sell the car.

I am also of the opinion that the govt. has to improve public transport. With the introduction of Metro this problem may ease out asmore people would be using the metro instead of driving.

With metro being introduced BBMP should also look at charging Congestion tax, in key traffic congestion zones, which will reduce traffic jams. London is best example of the same. BBMP should also look at a license fees for cars as the case in Singapore. this will also control explossive growth of cars in our metros.

If such measures are not put in place we will be in a situation where there will be so much cars on the road that a simple 5 kms drive will take an hour.
Old 8th March 2011, 11:23   #32
BHPian

I dont think this is a good move. Instead whoever is building apartment should be forced to have a proper parking planned. What will happen is, since the BBMP is already renting(or rather would be) the roads for Rs.100 for parking, people would avoid buying / building parking space in their own area and parking in roads would become a right. People should understand that its just a privilege and everyone should park in their own spaces.
Old 8th March 2011, 11:53   #33
BHPian

Hi
This move is really worthwhile from a standpoint of vehicular congestion of roads and bylanes.
A better option would be for BBMP to build multilevel car park in each of the prime areas of shopping/congestion and charge users a nominal amount on a annual basis which is a welcome move since in areas like Malleswaram and Chikpet the multilevel car part concept will receive more voluntary donations from the shop owners too.
Ideally shopowners are the culprit in these areas since they park their vehicles throughout the day and leave their esteemed client to run around for a parking space.

rgds
DP
Old 8th March 2011, 11:56   #34
aby
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
I dont think this is a good move. Instead whoever is building apartment should be forced to have a proper parking planned. What will happen is, since the BBMP is already renting(or rather would be) the roads for Rs.100 for parking, people would avoid buying / building parking space in their own area and parking in roads would become a right. People should understand that its just a privilege and everyone should park in their own spaces.
Parking fee on its own will not help. BBMP should force houses beyond a certain size to make provision for parking before approving the plan. But then in our country all laws can be bent for the right price.

As regards the spirit of the law... I think it is fully warranted and in fact Rs. 100 per year is way too low, it should at least Rs. 500 a month. Or a suitably big amount which will become a deterrent for people who buy their cars without thinking of parking space.

The existing arrangement makes fools of people who pay lakhs to builders for their parking spot, only to see people simply park on the road without giving a hoot about the congestion problem.

I think in time all cities will start demanding restrictions of some sort. Bangalore is just another to the bandwagon. Recently there was something on similar lines in Mizoram. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ge-no-car.html
Old 8th March 2011, 12:04   #35
aby
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
Hi
This move is really worthwhile from a standpoint of vehicular congestion of roads and bylanes.
A better option would be for BBMP to build multilevel car park in each of the prime areas of shopping/congestion and charge users a nominal amount on a annual basis which is a welcome move since in areas like Malleswaram and Chikpet the multilevel car part concept will receive more voluntary donations from the shop owners too.
Ideally shopowners are the culprit in these areas since they park their vehicles throughout the day and leave their esteemed client to run around for a parking space.

rgds
DP
Well this sound nice and great on paper. But look closely and you will realize it is not a workable solution. Our municipal authorities are really strapped for cash with all the demands for water/roads and lighting, where do you think money for parking will come from.

Assuming you want a public private partnership, doing a basic math will show that it wont work. An average parking spot requires about 300 sq ft of space (including the driveway space). At today's basic construction cost you are looking at a cost of Rs. 2 Lakh to 3 Lakh PER PARKING SPACE. Any sane investor would like 10% returns or you are looking at an rent of around Rs. 2000 per month.

Now how many of the road hoggers will pay that much money? (How I wish they were forced to do that). Compared to that the cess BBMP plans to impose looks dirt cheap.
Old 8th March 2011, 12:08   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby View Post
Parking fee on its own will not help. BBMP should force houses beyond a certain size to make provision for parking before approving the plan.
+1 to this. This makes better sense, and more so in the case of apartments. I have seen lots of "premium" apartments in congested areas where there are 10 parking lots and 20 apartments, for eg.. Those 10 parking spaces are allocated on first-come-first-serve policy and the other owners are forced to hog the pavement space around the building
Old 8th March 2011, 12:11   #37
BHPian

How much money does the greedy BBMP wants. The money they have collected itself lies unspent on any devolopmental activity. On top of this further collection is just a greedyness.

I think the plan is exactly collecting money from those who park the car on road irrespective of the car parked in front of whose house. The house owners cannot sublet the car parking slot and do any sort of circus.
Old 8th March 2011, 12:20   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
How much money does the greedy BBMP wants. The money they have collected itself lies unspent on any devolopmental activity. On top of this further collection is just a greedyness.
I think the plan is exactly collecting money from those who park the car on road irrespective of the car parked in front of whose house. The house owners cannot sublet the car parking slot and do any sort of circus.
+1.
If they do guarantee on safety of the car when parked thus would justify the 100 INR/month collection. To me it though looks like a scam in the offing!

Cheers,
Old 8th March 2011, 12:22   #39
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Before we go after the head of BBMP for this move, consider the amount they are planning to charge. It is 100Rs per annum.
Honestly it's a good move, also 100Rs per annum is very cheap compared to the exorbitant parking charges at the malls and other commercial buildings. Besides the high charges, the management will not take any responsibility for any damages. .

Thats the usual trick employed to overcome initial resistance. 100 rupees is nothing, people say and get used to it over time. A few years later the BBMP will smartly announce the fee hike to 1000/-!!

And what is the objective of this exercise? No project has been announced to ease parking woes in the City - one that might require the extra funding. It is just a money raking exercise. There is going to be no measurable objective to compare performance of BBMP with respect to how it utilizes the extra money, and no accountability. One more rip-off scheme IMHO

--R

Last edited by Ragul : 8th March 2011 at 12:23.
Old 8th March 2011, 12:30   #40
BHPian

Improving the city infrastructure is the need of the hour. Rather than concentrating on the problem in hand we see our government digging in ways to generate income. Half of it would anyways go into their pockets. This is sad.
Old 8th March 2011, 13:01   #41
BHPian

In my apartment people rent out their parking lot at the cost of 500/- per month. The prob lies with the Apt builder too. They make less parking space and more house. It does not matter who/how the builder is.
Old 8th March 2011, 13:17   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
If they also assign a security guard to protect the cars from vandalism, many car owners would be happy to pay the BBMP for this service.
Fat chance! They will only be collecting rent for using "their" space, that is all. Security will be your responsibility.

I can imagine one upshot for this; a person parking his car close to your property, will move the car if you tell him politely it is creating an obstacle or inconvenience for you. In the future he will more likely quarrel with you because he has a right to park on pavements, having paid a princely sum for this right!
Old 8th March 2011, 13:27   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Fat chance! They will only be collecting rent for using "their" space, that is all. Security will be your responsibility.

I can imagine one upshot for this; a person parking his car close to your property, will move the car if you tell him politely it is creating an obstacle or inconvenience for you. In the future he will more likely quarrel with you because he has a right to park on pavements, having paid a princely sum for this right!
Mr. Gansan
Any way our (non) Hon'ble mayor has decided not to support a proposal to collect a fee from citizens who park their vehicles on the road or pavement at night.
as read in today's Bangalore Mirror
Old 8th March 2011, 13:56   #44
BHPian

I think its hightime they bring in some strict regulations. May be a permit system. Show parking space and get permit to buy a car!

Infact, they should employ 1000 people whose job would be to just go around the city and collect fine from vehicles parked in no-parking zones!. They would be more profitable than any of our private sector enterprises.
Old 8th March 2011, 14:08   #45
Senior - BHPian

I recently received an sms from Easy cabs, Bangalore whom I engage during my visits there:

"does your favourite mall have parking woes? rest easy! Hire a cab from us, shop in peace and call us back when you have finished"!

I have since deleted the message, but this was more or less the gist of it. And this is exactly what I sometimes follow in Chennai as well for visiting malls or hospitals.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed