Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 15:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore Alert - BBMP Plans to collect fee for parking outside the house

Saw this in the Bangalore Mirror yesterday that BBMP is planning to collect an annual fee for cars parked on the roads.

A benefit to people who stay in appartments, but I wonder how they are going to go about discerning who parks their car and where. Or are they going to go street by street and ask the owners. Or they may issue a parking sticker, and if not found on the car, they may issue a fine. For those who prove their cars are in appartments or inside the houses, they may get a different colour sticker

Article Below as sourced from Bangalore Mirror

BBMP wants fee for parking outside home
It is targeting revenue from people who park their two- and four-wheelers on the roadside or pavement at night.To augment its revenue, the Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) plans to collect parking fees from people who park their vehicles on the roadside or the pavement at night. It expects to collect Rs 15 crore from owners of two-and four-wheelers. However, the final decision is yet to be taken.

The BBMP wanted to introduce this measure in 2010, but could not due to opposition from the newly-elected council headed by mayor S K Natraj. Commissioner H Siddaiah plans to include this proposal in the civic budget to be presented later this month
Speaking to Bangalore Mirror, Siddaiah said, “What’s wrong with such a measure? After all, the pavements and roads belong to the BBMP and we have all the right to create our own sources of revenue.”

"We will be charging a nominal Rs 100 per annum from vehicle owners for parking their vehicles from 10 pm to 8 am. Around 15 lakh vehicles are parked on the road or on pavements. Even if around eight lakh people start paying a parking fee, the BBMP will get Rs 8 crore, which is not a small amount. We can utilise this money for the developments of pavements,” he said

P N Sadashiv, chairman of the finance and taxation committee, suggests that the BBMP collect the night parking fee while collecting property taxes. “To implement this, we have to make an amendment in the property tax documents to allow a property-owner to declare whether he/she has parked a vehicle on the roadside or the pavement,” he sa id. “I am waiting to receive the detailed proposal from officials concerned after which I will hold discussions with the mayor and other senior leaders.”

Bangalore Mirror - Bangalore Mirror

Whats your take on this. Good or bad

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 4th March 2011 at 15:55.
Old 4th March 2011, 16:03   #2
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Alert - BBMP Plans to collect fee for parking outside the house

This will be another money generation tool for BBMP. If they can promise that they will build the road using that money then it's a great idea

However, I feel that this action has a good effect if taken properly because many houses are built with fully commercial rent purpose but there is not even a single parking space. That leads to a narrow road. Again many a time people build the parking space closing the drain, that cause a huge problem during the rain and cleaning process.

BBMP also should charge the shop owner on Indiranagar Road (one example), where the parking is only available for the shop customer. Though we all are paying the TAX and development fees you are not allowed to park your car in that area.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 22nd March 2020 at 12:34. Reason: Typos
Old 4th March 2011, 16:06   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post

The BBMP wanted to introduce this measure in 2010, but could not due to opposition from the newly-elected council headed by mayor S K Natraj. Commissioner H Siddaiah plans to include this proposal in the civic budget to be presented later this month
Speaking to Bangalore Mirror, Siddaiah said, “What’s wrong with such a measure? After all, the pavements and roads belong to the BBMP and we have all the right to create our own sources of revenue.”

"We will be charging a nominal Rs 100 per annum from vehicle owners for parking their vehicles from 10 pm to 8 am. Around 15 lakh vehicles are parked on the road or on pavements. Even if around eight lakh people start paying a parking fee, the BBMP will get Rs 8 crore, which is not a small amount. We can utilise this money for the developments of pavements,” he said

What a bloody joke this is. I would have been happy if they had improved the roads & pavements and demanded such fees.
Old 4th March 2011, 16:08   #4
BHPian

The pavement and roads belong to BBMP???? Who does the BBMP belong to? Pretty funny comment.

IMO authorities in Bangalore don't like the idea of people owning cars I think. On top of the high amount of taxes and fuel prices in the city, the authorities are finding yet another avenue to heap misery on vehicle owners.
Cesc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2011, 16:27   #5
BHPian

What is BBMP upto?
I don't think this will be feasible.
The most hit will be old bangalore like Malleshwaram, Rajajinagar, Chamrajpet, etc. since there is no room to create a garage for their cars.
With this fee are they going to give security for the cars? LOL
Old 4th March 2011, 16:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Before we go after the head of BBMP for this move, consider the amount they are planning to charge. It is 100Rs per annum.
Honestly it's a good move, also 100Rs per annum is very cheap compared to the exorbitant parking charges at the malls and other commercial buildings. Besides the high charges, the management will not take any responsibility for any damages.

If they also assign a security guard to protect the cars from vandalism, many car owners would be happy to pay the BBMP for this service.

Last edited by speedmiester : 4th March 2011 at 16:37.
Old 4th March 2011, 16:36   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

What next ? Pedestians being charged for walking on pavements ???

100 bucks a year isnt a huge amount considering the person can buy & run a car but it is a mindless money making exercise. At the end of the day we are helpless if they do decide to implement it.
Old 4th March 2011, 17:31   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
How ever I feel that this action has a good effect if taken properly because many house build with fully commercial rent purpose but there is not even a single parking space. That leads to a narrow road. Again many a time people build the parking space closing the drain, that cause a huge problem during the rain and cleaning process.
Agree with this. People build 2/3-storied homes with parking space for 1 car. They then rent out two floors. If the tenants of the two floors have a car each, where do they park?
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2011, 17:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

The way I see this move is like this. See people will really not bother about paying the 100 per annum. But look at this, do you really think BBMP is going to take that money and build pavements. Then what is happening to the high road tax that is getting collected

Further, despite the fee, the problem of parked cars will still be there. I definitely see the idea of doing away with cars from the road, as sveral place, people mindlessly park their cars such that there is no place to drive. Also, if the person is a tenant, it is no fault of his, if he takes a house and the owner does not have parking for him

As a rule, house owners should have one parking space for every floor they construct and to have ample space for the cars they plan to buy.

In the end, this is a well construed plot to make quick and big money by the BBMP. People will not bother, and pay if they have to, but at the end it is clear that people are going to be taken as fools.

I am trying to recollect all the places here where I see proper footpaths
Old 4th March 2011, 18:08   #10
BHPian

While it seems to be a good revenue generation idea for the BBMP I dont see it making much sense. Like it has been mentioned earlier it does not do away with the congestion.

What about accountability? Will I know that the money being collected is being used. It would be great if money collected from a particular locality is added to the local councellor's budget and used for development of that area.

I think a better way of providing a service to the citizens is the create multi-level parking bays for the residents and charge them a fee to park there. It also ensures there is some kind of security. And considering that the MLP are available, the BBMP can levy fines from people parking on the road.

Parik
Old 4th March 2011, 18:11   #11
BHPian

If they use part of this money in appointing guards to patrol the roads, most car owners would not have a problem paying Rs. 100/- a year.
Old 4th March 2011, 18:47   #12
BHPian

This is an excellent idea from BBMP. Sorry for the contrary opinion, but such a policy is required to keep roads for pedestrian and vehicular movement and not for parking. Buying a car and parking it out on the road constitutes encroachment of public space.

Concrete monsters built on plots without space for parking are eating up road space. Further, most of these constructions are illegal and purposefully flout corporation rules on land use by bribing civic officials. The most flagrant violators are people who build huge commercial buildings on small plots with inadequate parking and eventually vehicles crowd out the roads.

There are another breed of encroachers in Bangalore - they build a type of folding gate that projects out into the footpath. Half of the car is inside their plot and half out on the footpath or street.

Every city in India should (and eventually will have to) make such rules to control vehicle crowding. We should realize that cost of ownership of a vehicle is not just the price we pay for it initially, but also the cost of space to park it in.

The problem I see in this is that it is legalizing street parking - cities should ban night parking on streets. Imagine a time when each household has a car or two and no assigned space to park it in on their plots or inside their apartment compound.
vishwas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2011, 19:06   #13
HKP
BHPian

100!!

Our lanes are very narrow and if someone parks an SUV or something its very difficult for anyone else to move around it. We usually raise the issue to the owner and make them park elsewhere. Now, doesn't this fee give them a good reason to park it on the road legally.

Just by paying 100 rupees annually to BBMP anyone can park on their road. Even people with garage could do that. Can anyone object to it? Interesting isn't it!!

I believe, its the duty of City traffic police to decide on these things not BBMP.

\\hkp
Old 4th March 2011, 19:13   #14
BANNED

Re: 100!!

Surprised by views expressed by many.

YES. It will be a BIG BIG trouble for people living OLD BANGALORE areas like Malleshwaram, Chamarajpet, Basavangudi, Rajajinagar etc.,

But this move will also mean the congestion on the roads will be reduced, which is a good sign.

Looks like i will for sure get into trouble
Old 4th March 2011, 20:37   #15
Senior - BHPian

Today a vehicle belonging to BBMP was noting vehicles parked on the road with a camera in my area.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed