Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Has the Ritz lived up to its Glitz?
Yes 129 46.24%
No 129 46.24%
Can't Say 21 7.53%
Voters: 279. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2011, 12:26   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Has the Ritz lived up to its Glitz?

Yesss! Ritz has indeed lived up to its Glitz. In fact among new cars in my town, now I see more Ritz's on road than Swifts. I remember first time when I saw this car; I thought someone sliced its rear with a huge knife. Swift looks more sporty and European ( low roof ) and Ritz looks typical Wagon R-type chunky tall boys Japan is so full of. They both look good but these days I find Ritz to be better looking, albeit funky and quirky. May be therein lies its charm.
Old 27th March 2011, 13:49   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
She drives like a dream, enough boot, tremendous power (left a merc and an Emotion standing on the Western Ghats),
LOL!
Its OK to like your car, and Ritz has decent power. But do not make irrelevant claims like this. Maybe the Merc owner just wanted to take it easy or was not a good driver - doesn't mean your car is faster than a Mercedes.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 27th March 2011 at 14:04.
Old 28th March 2011, 11:14   #78
BHPian

Voted for a BIG NO. Never been a fan of tall boy design cars and neither this one. Have driven both VDI and VXI versions, diesel ones more noisier.
Come on Maruti, give us some sexy designed cars.
Old 29th March 2011, 19:32   #79

Has the Ritz lived up to its Glitz? the answer according to me is a big "NO"

Maruti has always been a value for money company, but market dynamics are changing. Buying a car is not just about the saving money, it is also about beauty and sturdiness. I own both a Swift and an i10. I am sorry to say that Swift has a very bad body work both inside and outside. The insides of i10 though small still is well designed, bright and sturdier, while swift suffers from dark, unappealing interiors.

On the outside, my swift suffers from bad paint job, i10 beats it clearly, its paint has a special shine to it and feels that there is an extra coat as compared to Swift. i10 is a class apart.

Maruthi has to work at its design, Lets look at Ritz though it is claimed to be roomier than i10, the boot space is very less, and the back looks as if the designers had to chop off its butt.

Today's market I would rate the Figo the best looking car with best value for money preposition.

People might still buy it after all this is a country where this vehicle still ply

Last edited by GTO : 5th April 2011 at 16:31. Reason: Removing image; please note that it is mandatory to upload images via the Team-BHP Attachment system. Thanks
Old 29th March 2011, 20:23   #80
BHPian

Bottom line is, I see a lot more Ritz now a days compared to about 6 months back, I think people have now realised that it's atleast better value than the Swift,there is minimal or no waiting and some good discounts too, what more can one ask for.
Old 29th March 2011, 21:29   #81
Senior - BHPian

@kutuias

The Ritz & Swift are aimed at the same market segment. Add the sale volume of both. The Ritz has a jewel of an engine. Can we say the same about the i10? In my book, the engine is the most important aspect and I will overlook a few shortcomings elsewhere for this.
Old 30th March 2011, 12:17   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutuias View Post
Has the Ritz lived up to its Glitz? the answer according to me is a big "NO"

Maruti has always been a value for money company, but market dynamics are changing. Buying a car is not just about the saving money, it is also about beauty and sturdiness. I own both a Swift and an i10. I am sorry to say that Swift has a very bad body work both inside and outside. The insides of i10 though small still is well designed, bright and sturdier, while swift suffers from dark, unappealing interiors.

On the outside, my swift suffers from bad paint job, i10 beats it clearly, its paint has a special shine to it and feels that there is an extra coat as compared to Swift. i10 is a class apart.

Maruthi has to work at its design, Lets look at Ritz though it is claimed to be roomier than i10, the boot space is very less, and the back looks as if the designers had to chop off its butt.

Today's market I would rate the Figo the best looking car with best value for money preposition.

People might still buy it after all this is a country where this vehicle still ply
Buddy, Agree with you on Swift - i10 argument. I have driven my friend's i10, but I still feel i10's interior quality does not deserve the premium it asks for. It is better.. but not the best.

And Ritz's back is a futuristic design, which is is too early for India. I always feel that Ritz is a better alternative to swift, sans the spirited performance.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2011, 13:53   #83
BHPian

I think i10 with Ritz comparison has hijacked the actual topic.
If we really need to compare cars to appreciate the best feature of them, I would like to have i20 compared to Ritz.

But still if we are looking for one on one , refer to Sid's classic review
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tz-1-2-kb.html

or CNBC Overdirve expert's video review
Old 31st March 2011, 22:43   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Colonel Jude Mayne, just curious to know, is your Ritz Petrol or Diesel?
Simple diesel torque, is the answer, no other. My guess.
Right Colonel?
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:05   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutuias View Post

Maruthi has to work at its design, Lets look at Ritz though it is claimed to be roomier than i10, the boot space is very less
Boot space-
i10 - 225 litres, Swift - 232 litres, Ritz - 236 litres. I would atleast say all are equivalent.

Last edited by pacman2881 : 2nd April 2011 at 11:12.
pacman2881 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2011, 15:57   #86
BHPian

I think that some of the people who have voted in this thread have confused themselves. The voting was supposed to be about whether Ritz is as successful as it was intended to be. In my opinion the answer is clearly NO. The sales figures of its rivals do demonstrate that fact. However the reason why people don't like it inspite of its obvious good points is not very clear. It could be its looks i.e. the rear. It could also be that people always think about swift when think about any car from Maruti in this price and segment. I am pretty much sure that even Maruti expected better nos. when they launched it. I guess there are complex factors behind the success and failure (relatively speaking) of a car.

By the way, I voted NO, even though I just bought my car ( Ritz VXI) 4 days back and I just love it.
ank1477 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2011, 02:30   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman2881 View Post
Boot space-
i10 - 225 litres, Swift - 232 litres, Ritz - 236 litres. I would atleast say all are equivalent.
I too used to believe in such figures, until I realized that it means very little if the boot did not have the "usable" space. To give you an example, my Alto has about 170-odd litres (am I right on this figure?) of boot space, while the Ritz has 236 litres of boot space. But when 10 of us went for a picnic to a beach last year, we simply could not fit an old Portuguese wooden chair (which was taken for the benefit of a senior member of our family) in the boot of the Ritz. However, we easily managed to accommodate it in the boot of our Alto, simply because the "box-shaped" boot of the Alto made it possible to do so, as opposed to the heavily rounded and angular shaped boot of the Ritz.

Likewise, while the I10 may have 11 litres less boot space than the Ritz, I find it more useful that the boot of the Ritz. My musician friend simply cannot place his keyboard in his friend's Ritz boot, without folding the seats. The same keyboard can easily fit in the boot of my I10. For my friend, the extra 11 litres of the Ritz boot means nothing to him.

After these experiences, all these boot-litres specs mean little to me and my sole criterion of good boot space lies in its ability to accommodate maximum luggage, without the need to fold the rear seat.
misquitas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2011, 16:46   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
All these boot-litres specs mean little to me and my sole criterion of good boot space lies in its ability to accommodate maximum luggage, without the need to fold the rear seat.
It also depends upon the luggage one wants to put in the boot. There will always be some bits which can be adjusted in one car and not in the other. We have a Zen which I feel has also boot similar to Alto and a Ritz. I will try to catch a pic to show how much of luggage we load in the Ritz boot without folding the rear seat. Even though Ritz's boot is not humungous like a Figo but it is at par with the segment comprising Swift and i10. And its pretty much usable!!!
Old 8th May 2011, 01:03   #89
BHPian

I was looking for a hatchback that offered me the safety of Airbags + ABS. I shortlisted Fabia, Swift, Punto & Ritz. I took a test drive of all these but the fresh look of the Ritz won me over (though i was impressed by the built quality of Fabia). I was always a fan of the Ritz since its launch but my wife was skeptical about the shape. One test drive is all it took to make her a follower.
The features (Steering mounted controls, alloys, ABS, airbags, rear 60:40 split, 185/70 tyres, Defogger etc.) that the car offers for the cost are just amazing compared to the competition. Add to it oodles of cabin space, comfy & tall seating, nice sporty interiors, a Rs.15000/- cash discount, 10 days waiting period & it was a no brainer for me.
I know there must be a lot like me who really cherish the 'Value For Money', the Ritz offers. Hence for me & others like me, the Ritz is definitely living up to its glitz.
kunalsb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2011, 09:28   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Not really sure what the company intended to do about Ritz sales but looks like its been maintaining decent numbers,hovering around 6000.Living upto its Glitz can be answered well by the MSIL people as to how much they were expecting the sales to be and how much is the actual sale.But as far as the car is concerned,its a practical car over swift(read ingress and egress-esp. for elderly) and i've owned it without much trouble for over a year now.In my part of country,bylanes are not that wide so i do have trouble taking it out and in pathetic bumper to bumper traffic(read-with bicycles and cycle rickshaws and thelas all around) it is pain at times.Santro is better for such traffic.I have also received a weird comment from one of my senior surgeons ,"Looks like they made a long car which looked same both ends,and then chopped it in the middle and fixed 2 more wheels!!!"
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks