Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2011, 09:03   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Is the VW Golf likely to be launched in India?

theres an article in todays TOI that Merc may be bringing in their A and B Class vehicles into India in 2013. apparently these are being developed straight off in a RHD format for countries like ours as part of their World development. they say the pricing is going to be the best they can manage because apparently these will be assembled in India via CKD route. If Merc A and B Class comes in then can VW Golf and other such upper segment hatchback cars be very far behind?
Old 24th March 2011, 11:07   #32
BHPian

Just came across this link... Volkswagen Golf, Review, Price, Volkswagen Cars India, Comparison, Images, Variants

This claims the launch to be somewhere mid-2011 at an expected price of 8.5L (Ex-S) for a petrol 2L spec.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:19   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Just came across this link... Volkswagen Golf, Review, Price, Volkswagen Cars India, Comparison, Images, Variants

This claims the launch to be somewhere mid-2011 at an expected price of 8.5L (Ex-S) for a petrol 2L spec.
Thanks for sharing the link. But looking at the information provided on the website, I feel its more like someone's imagination was working overtime
Old 24th March 2011, 11:58   #34
Team-BHP Support

At best, they might bring in niche models like the GTi and a highly specced diesel.
Old 25th March 2011, 18:16   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
At best, they might bring in niche models like the GTi and a highly specced diesel.
I disagree (though, am hopefully proven wrong). A GTi & a highly spec'ed diesel will go well over a million rupees. Now, niche products seldom bring in volumes, are rarely profitable and only serve ONE purpose : Branding. VW already has the Beetle which, arguably because of its styling & heritage, does a better job as a niche product.

More realistically, if VW (and they are a crazy bunch in there) launched a VW Polo 1.6 TDI in a trim level similar to the Polo Cup cars - stiffer suspension, 130 BHP et al - it would be a car that's still within the reach of enthusiasts. Fun to drive too, and will bring the all-too-important branding advantage to one of their most important products in India.
Old 25th March 2011, 18:24   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Just wanted to raise this query since I like the VW Golf very much indeed.
Why not go for the Jetta? Afterall its just a Golf with a boot. On this gen, they even left the front end and interior is identical.

As it is people feel Punto is too big to be a hatchback. So if I was VW, I would definitely not do it. Not only will it not sell, it will damage the snob value of the Jetta.
Old 25th March 2011, 23:25   #37
BHPian

I don't see what's the big deal, Golf is not a luxury car, its a commuter hatch, some of the powerful ones are pricey. It's on par with Civic which is a affordable car in most geographies except India. In UK the top end polo would be the same price as entry level golf.

At worst there is little reason for it to be more than a Civic which is itself overpriced, and given Volkswagen seems to have more brains than Skoda on pricing perhaps they can get it in a realistic price range rather than position it as the tired cliched 'premium overpriced hatchback'.
Old 26th March 2011, 07:30   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
I don't see what's the big deal, Golf is not a luxury car, its a commuter hatch, some of the powerful ones are pricey. It's on par with Civic which is a affordable car in most geographies except India. In UK the top end polo would be the same price as entry level golf.

At worst there is little reason for it to be more than a Civic which is itself overpriced, and given Volkswagen seems to have more brains than Skoda on pricing perhaps they can get it in a realistic price range rather than position it as the tired cliched 'premium overpriced hatchback'.
Premium is quite a relative term attached to each market. Agreed that Golf (in its normal guise) is a commuter car in many markets, so it the Jetta. In our market cars from VW, Skoda are (quite rightly) considered premium, and on that note the Golf is indeed a premium hatch
Old 26th March 2011, 07:50   #39
BHPian

The Golf is indeed a premium hatch in India, but if it is in the right price range, it will be a big success, especially the diesel versions. The Golf GTD (diesel variant of the GTI) would make an excellent addition to the VW lineup in India, and I'm sure there is a market for such hot hatches. Cars like the GTD are expensive to buy, but quite cheap to maintain and run, partly because of the awesome mpg (the GTD uses only 5.2L/100 km, while still producing 350 Nm of torque).

Volkswagen Golf GTD Review | Car Advice | Reviews

Old 26th March 2011, 09:55   #40
BHPian

The golf sells in millions and is designed to sell in millions, its not designed to be premium so that kind of just brand positioning usually doesn't work, unless the company is happy with very low volumes, given VW's pricing so far it does appear they are interested in volumes

A car is not premium just because of market conditions, or the manufacturer positions it as such, it has to have some features, something inherent that make it so. Like the GTi, no one expects that to be cheap and it does have power and handling to justify its price, like the Clio sports. Pricing/branding can only derive from this.

Just positioning it as premium because the brand manager things that's a good strategy, or adopting the 'cream strategy' in developing markets, or because its a CBU/CKD hence pricey usually doesn't work and all the overpriced premium cars deliver very low volumes, few are going to spend 15-20 lakhs and feel satisfied with a car designed to be basic and sell in millions.
Old 26th March 2011, 12:18   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
I have seen new generation Golfs being tested near the VW Chakan plant in Maharashtra. I won't be surprised if its launched soon, although I reckon that they would be priced quite high compared to other premium hatches in India

i have seen 2 golfs being tested in pune (karve road) with my own eyes.
Old 26th March 2011, 21:32   #42
Senior - BHPian

Forget everything, let them just put together a Polo with 1.6 diesel motor + bodykit and 17" alloys. Droool !
Old 27th March 2011, 06:34   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Forget everything, let them just put together a Polo with 1.6 diesel motor + bodykit and 17" alloys. Droool !
The Polo is a great car, no doubt about it, but a bit too small compared to the Golf. Also the Polo is nowhere near a premium hatch. In fact it is priced less than a Toyota Yaris in this country. Top end Polos (GTI with mods) are more expensive than the entry level Golf, so unless one is looking for a small car with good performance, they would not be inclined to spend the money to buy such a small car, when you can buy a Golf/Golf wagon for cheaper.
Old 26th August 2012, 08:12   #44
BHPian

Unfortunate that VW has not brought this car yet in India. It would sell in lesser numbers true, but even for branding, it would go a long way - as I think it has a more contemporary feel to it than the iconic Beetle.
Old 26th August 2012, 09:11   #45
BHPian

I don't think it makes sense to bring the current (sixth generation) Golf to India, since the all-new mark 7 will be unveiled at the Paris motor show next month, with deliveries starting from November. All the rumors and information that I have read about the mark 7 are very positive. It seems the next Golf will be a really great car!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks