Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2012, 19:23   #76
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev
This was sorted out between the registration desk and race control and we were told that do not "stick" the sticker but merely place it on dash. Take one car in at a time. Logical. Only some one forgot to tell the security who insisted that the sticker be pasted. and "they" would not talk with admin or race control.....!!!!.
Sudev, hopefully all this training and coordination tryouts will make the F1 process easier

So what was your fastest time and as compared to your first love rallying, was this adrenal pumping.
Old 1st May 2012, 07:15   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Take your car for a spin on BIC - India's F1 circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Sudev, hopefully all this training and coordination tryouts will make the F1 process easier
I do hope so. There were more than enough glitches last time around in handling.

Quote:
So what was your fastest time and as compared to your first love rallying, was this adrenal pumping.
Timing - read on. Adrenalin pumping - rally beats this any day. May be behind a faster car but not at this stage.

Continuing...
In the meanwhile a scrutiny was done of all vehicles and any objects not tied down were taken out. Some very interesting stuff came out of the boots. Lets us just say there were more than couple of ice boxes.

Scrutiny OK sticker was issued and all cars were fitted with a transponder that records the time when cars goes over the trip wire embedded in to the track surface at start gate.

While the bikes went out for their second outing a drivers briefing was held in one of the pit garages. Though we could have done with a proper PA system as there was constant roar reverberating and around out words of Track Director.

Salient points made at briefing:
  • Wearing of helmets is compulsory for driver. Co-passenger(s) were exempt!
  • All windows must be rolled up. Maximum one inch roll down for drivers window
  • Brake points markers had been put before all turns and these included direction of turn by means of a fallen cone pointing towards the turn.
  • No over taking after the brake markers
  • If you have not completed overtaking up to marker then abort and fall behind
  • Every car will have a transponder
  • Meaning of Red Green and Yellow digi flag
  • Ignominious distinction of getting Black digi with your number on it

Some question answer were fielded and then it was time for first batch of thirty Green sticker cars to go out behind the safety car. There was some chaos here since cars were not lined up as per order.

Also terminology of First Race First group was not clear to every one.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2012, 10:59   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pictures

Registration desk at the admin centre. Some of the bikers turned up in street clothes. Only those who had full body suits were allowed.

This bunch was late so were not allowed. They did not receive communication that they were supposed to be at track by 0900hrs.
Name:  ForumRunner_20120501_105431.png
Views: 770
Size:  301.9 KB

Briefing by Race Director. Anxious question and answer session
Name:  ForumRunner_20120501_105517.png
Views: 775
Size:  393.2 KB

Last edited by sudev : 1st May 2012 at 11:04.
Old 1st May 2012, 13:54   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

I was waiting for the first session of first group to be over so that the first session of second group could start. Each session was of twenty plus minutes. In the meanwhile scrutiny process was completed for the group.

While waiting saw three cars from group one pull in to pit lane. Two of them had overheated their engines. And one came in to pull in a passenger. I was wondering that why would a car boil over in just a few laps. Bad maintenance? Over revving? Over stressing?

Soon all the cars came in but instead of allowing the second group to go in bikes were sent in for their third session. So this gave more time to interact with the drivers who had gone in. Two more cars had over heated. Almost all were also complaining about over heated brakes. One could smell the burning clutches and brake pads.

From the pits there was no other view possible on how people were driving on the track. While the race control had complete feed from across the track it was no fed in to the large screens facing the pit and they continued showing F1 race from October last. Would have been wonderful to get view of may be one or two cameras alternated on to the screen.

I think the larger part of learning went missing as there was no means to go and see performance of others and view them from important corners such as turns 3, 4, 5, 10, 15. A bit of 1 and end of turn 16 was visible if you hung out on the pit lane wall.

Also this gave us chance to inspect tyre wear. Before the event people were apprehensive about how much tyre wear would take place. But nothing abnormal showed up.

It was well past one o'clock that first round from group two got announced. By this time it had become very hot and sun was shining exceedingly bright. And to drive while keeping windows rolled up AND wearing a helmet was tough.

Cars were let off from pit exit every ten odd seconds. In this while the car ahead was just beyond turn #1 giving a safe distance between cars. Now when I entered the drive I noticed that the digi was flashing Red so I assumed that this was perhaps a slow lap with lead car in place. Wrong. There was no lead car and only one participant car ahead of me. And worst of all I see three guys over take me on the long straight - all this while digi is still flashing Red!

Only in lap two did digi start flashing Green. In any case my game plan was to let tyres heat up for first two laps before piling on speed.
Old 1st May 2012, 18:20   #80
Senior - BHPian

Great insight. Thank you for the detailed 'what to expect from the track day' report.
Old 2nd May 2012, 07:36   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

The learning target for each time you go on to a practice day has to be set. I had set the following objectives:
Decrease brake distance
Recovery from under steer / over steer on high speed turns
Create approach flow for each of the curve(s) and execute it
Review areas of weakness

Unfortunately I did not see many people having a learning approach. For instance this person had come prepared in his expensive car and also had a complete track map. Post his first (and only outing since he had booked single round @R8500 plus tax) I was chatting with him and understanding how was the experience etc. etc. He did not know what race lines are. Then I pointed out to the track map he was carrying and showed him that these were marked on the map itself and discussed how keeping to the ideal race line he could have gone faster.

His answer "Sir, itni tej nahin chalanee ki accident ho jaye" (I do not want to drive so fast that an accident happens)

W&&##$$ Why come to track day? I was not talking of driving beyond limit but only driving fast. Illustrates the point that not many people appreciate the difference between the two.

Any way back to my objectives.

In the initial rounds I struggled to keep to the objective racing line and indulged in lots of gear changes and early braking. For instance I would approach turn #1 - sharp right, with inverse banking on the out, at end of home straight - at speed of 135~140kmph in fourth gear. Brake and at the same time downshift to third and second. Speed would drop to about 50 kmph. If I braked late or changed gears late I would overshoot towards the outer edge of turn #1 exit and that would mean further slowing down to bring the car in control and run on the edge tile of turn #2 which is a sweeping left hand, that at first slopes down and then up.

Also this was one of the points where there is always a chance of over steer as you take sharp right under heavy braking.

As I progressed through the laps I started taking while braking later and later. And only shifting down to third gear. Which meant I was carrying higher speed through the turn. It also meant quick controlling of over steering tendency with precise inputs "before" over steer happened. There were three people in our group who ended up with cars pointing the way they had come due to not being able to judge and control in time.

I also tried doing the same curve with only shift down to fourth but the speed carry through was too great with stock tyres and not enough power (lower engine rpm's) out of the curve to accelerate in to #2.

Another aspect of taking turns is to setup the car so as to be able to apply power as early as possible and start accelerating. That is why running wide of #1 is not a option. If you are braking late or running wide i controlling over steer then you cannot apply power early to keep up speed through turn #2.

The point I am trying to say is that you need to setup a ideal approach in your mind for a turn and then go out and practice executing it. Try different approaches. And remember it is just not this turn but the track after that which also need to be factored in.

Turn #1 and #3 are with sort of inverse banking which you have to be aware of. Compared with this Turns #4 and #15 are with positive banking that actually help you take them faster and allow you to apply power earlier.

My area of weakness was smooth change of gears. In the first few laps I ended up over revving the car - never a good idea but even more so in a diesel - in to red band. Anxiety, late braking, non-smooth execution of turn, all combined?? I need to practice this more.

Okay so one other element crept in here - you need to remember the track in detail turn by turn. Easier said. Easier done. Problem is you need to do this before going out on the track. Or take few laps easy while you do this. I ( and few others who were part of F1 marshaling) personally had walked the track so many times - yes walked it - during the build up to and running of F1 race - that I remembered. But I did not see even one new comer do it. Grave error according to me. Okay you need not walk it but you need to go over the track at slow speed and see all curves from approach, apex and departure angles. Stop and physically see them.
Old 2nd May 2012, 08:10   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

My car was fitted with a transponder - it did not work during the first outing of group two. I only know timings of others but it did not really matter. I was not here this day to establish any record.

There were people who were very happy that they were at the top or thereabouts. And were feeling very happy. Nothing wrong with that but this stops them from analysing "Could I have done better?"

Turn #4 is classic example of this. At end of long straight you are carrying maximum speed and then you have to brake heavily and from 12 O'clock you head towards 4 O'clock after the turn. The tarmac which is wide enough to take five / six cars abreast on the straight is further widened on the outer (left) side to take one more car width. The turn is very slightly banked and goes in to a down slope on exit.

The text book approach is keep accelerating till you have to brake. On approach go as wide as possible - left wheel on edge of track. Brake hard. Drop a gear and another (or more if needed by your engine power band) and take turn. Apply power just before the apex as there is wide run off available while slowly letting the steering straighten it self. Watch out for over steer.

Mistakes I saw people doing
Quote:
Lifting off the acceleration much before the curve.
Touch braking - hesitate before braking (Their brake light would flash once or twice before being constantly on)
Not taking full width of track while going in leaving space on left hand side.
Missing the apex.
Continue braking much after the curve - carrying to much speed at apex.
Not using full width of track on exit - not applying power early enough
While I was waiting for our second outing I sat as passenger with some one, who was driving an expensive car in group one, during their third outing. For few laps I was observing what he was doing.

On his asking I tried giving him feed back on how to for every curve but he did not fully realize what I was meaning. So he rode with me during my second outing and showed him what I meant by executing these turns using all available space, braking much later and not lifting off acceleration till it was time to brake.

At end of that session he said "I have wasted my three rounds. I should have learnt this before I drove my first round"
Old 2nd May 2012, 09:23   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

The section drawing shows details of turn #1

The red line is the ideal race line. Notice how it huffs the outer corner coming into the curve. Where the turn starts braking should have been accomplished to almost fullest extent. Power should be taped just before the apex where the red line touches the right hand end of tarmac. Power through and open the steering to catch the outer line (left hand) that become the inner line of turn #2

Name:  ForumRunner_20120502_091905.png
Views: 798
Size:  107.6 KB
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:24   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
My car was fitted with a transponder...

At end of that session he said "I have wasted my three rounds. I should have learnt this before I drove my first round"
A very detailed experience. So how was the i20 performing considering the soft suspension and light steering on the track?? Do mention some experience with your car as well.

The ideal race lines and the apex need to be physically studied first for the optimum performance.

Your last line was hilarious but I feel kinda bad for the poor guy who would have to wait for the next track day probably to improvise and make the best out of his skills acquired.
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:00   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

@S2!!! : Thanks for appreciation. Will get to i20 handling.

Continuing....
The best part of track to me was from turn #4 to turn #16. The first part of track Turn #1-2-3 was good but fun was after that.

First of course the almighty braking from top speed to take turn #4. Then lining up straight for right outer edge at Turn #5 and judging the exact point to left turn in for apex and power out. Then closely followed by Left right right and left sequence through turns 6-7-8-9.
Name:  Screenshot from 20120503 113233.png
Views: 702
Size:  337.8 KB

I have marked in red all the apex/edges that come in to play one after the other in quick succession. If you are too fast in to turn #5 you cannot maintain composure in to #6 and hitting the other side apex of #7. Again a fine judgement of speed and cars potential is needed to go through #8 and #9 hitting out the parabolic arc as you accelerate to keep maximum speed.

The good part is that there is more than generous run off available in the track and you can really test you limits and recovery reactions here.

Many participants took shortcuts marked with black lines. What were they thinking? They were practicing and if you cannot maintain a line slow down or learn how to do the complete course. Some of them were later found bragging - "Look at my timing sheet!! I have done so good" Self delusion?? Where is the learning here?

Take your car for a spin on BIC - India's F1 circuit!-screenshot-20120503-114626.png
The section above show #10-13. The point to be noted is that 10&11 are a combined curve. You approach on extreme left hand side and then drop in to apex on right hand while accelerating out in a parabolic arc that throws you out towards the left hand side. Again a slight reduction in power applications and a small effort on steering wheel drops you in to right-left-right line through turn #12. Here most of the people could not figure out the fast line and tried sticking to the inside - right side through #10-11. Their speed out of turn #11 was naturally slower and the cars attitude improper for turn #12.

The next tow pictures are from facebook friends but show my car and another Esteem approaching the apex of turn #10. The i20 is a tad more inside than ideal but is definitely better poised to take the turn faster.
Take your car for a spin on BIC - India's F1 circuit!-319845_373828669336561_321274361258659_1098518_820035655_n.jpg

Take your car for a spin on BIC - India's F1 circuit!-319845_373828679336560_321274361258659_1098519_829480251_n.jpg
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks