Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2012, 08:52   #1
Senior - BHPian

Take your car for a spin on BIC - India's F1 circuit!

Now, take your car for a spin on Buddh International Circuit - The Times of India

Interesting piece of news!

Main points:

- 6 track days through the year, first of which is slated to be next month.
- Each track day to have 4 sessions - 3 for cars and 1 for bikes.
- Each session to cost Rs 8500 for cars (Rs 20000 for all 3) and Rs. 6000 for bikes.

No information on what the fees would cover (special track day car insurance, health insurance, any safety equipment being provided?)

This has me thinking which car should I take - my 2 year old ANHC or my dad's 11 year old OHC VTEC. I believe OHC VTEC would be more fun. What do you think?

PS: Couldn't find a similar thread & wasn't sure where to start this. Please excuse if inappropriate section.

Last edited by asr245 : 29th March 2012 at 08:54.
asr245 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 09:03   #2
BHPian

Re: Take your car for a spin on BIC - India's F1 circuit!

OHC VTEC on any given Sunday.

Modern cars are too much of an electronic gadgetry and less car. Track days are man & machine. Stick to the VTEC my friend.

On your other question - track days usually dont include any insurance. On the other hand some tracks take an indemnity from your side (should you cause any damage to the track or injure yourself). Not sure how our good friends at BIC treat it.

The fee usually includes a safety briefing, a pilot car (in some instances) & perhaps marshall services.

Have fun!
Old 29th March 2012, 09:53   #3
BHPian

Wow!! Finally they have started open track days. I am so excited to read this news. I was seriously waiting for this for my bike. I will still have to wait for info as to what are the Riding Gear requirements.. If all goes well. I would definately be going..
Old 29th March 2012, 09:55   #4
xPK
BHPian

Wow! that's a great news! Any idea how long a single session will be? Will it be on limited time or limited laps?
No doubt OHC would be fun, but personally I would prefer Linea T-Jet, Fiesta 1.6 and or Optra 2.0 or even my 1.6 (not mentioning cars above 10L) as I feel high speed cornering is more fun than high straight line speed. Of course preference may defer from person to person.

Last edited by Eddy : 29th March 2012 at 11:04. Reason: We do not encourage dangerous driving.
Old 29th March 2012, 19:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balajiisworking View Post
On your other question - track days usually dont include any insurance. On the other hand some tracks take an indemnity from your side (should you cause any damage to the track or injure yourself). Not sure how our good friends at BIC treat it.
There will be indemnity for sure. Read an article in TOI about some reporters being driven by FIF1 driver Nico Hulkenberg around BIC and they mentioned that they had to sign at numerous places. But I do hope they have insurance (even as an option). I am quite sure no insurer would cover the cost if we crash and ask them to pay. Infact they might withdraw cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPK View Post
Wow! that's a great news! Any idea how long a single session will be? Will it be on limited time or limited laps?
No clue yet but has to be time limited. But I was wondering how much damage tyres would suffer by aggressive driving around the track? For that matter, how long before one has to stop because of engine over-heating?
Old 29th March 2012, 19:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
No clue yet but has to be time limited. But I was wondering how much damage tyres would suffer by aggressive driving around the track? For that matter, how long before one has to stop because of engine over-heating?
Tyre damage will depend on how you drive and trust me you will not stop because of the car over heating. It will be because your body will give up way before your car will and I speak from personal experience. Track days even in normal road cars require great stamina.
vikram_d is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 22:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

I would love to take a TJET on this circuit(Mobil1 fully synthetic oil + Shell Super unleaded petrol would be a icing on the cake!) !!! It would be a dream come true for me!

If a person books all three sessions then no way he can complete them without a refuel.So he would have to go out to refuel.That would lead to loss of time unless he plans to do it in the intervals! Not to mention the body fatigue due to constant turns/braking and G-forces.

Can the street cars withstand such an abuse over extended periods of time?
Old 29th March 2012, 22:53   #8
BHPian

Street cars driven by inexperienced drivers (on a track anyway) pushing their cars to go as quick as possible? Somehow, that doesn't sound safe to me.

The Kia Cee'd used in Top Gear's Star in a reasonably priced car has a roll cage, the belts are racing belts and the driver wears a helmet for safety. An over enthusiastic driver could easily roll over a car trying to get through a corner too fast, especially on a taller car.

I just hope some company comes up with a scheme where you can rent race modified cars at BIC for a track day - maybe not super or sports cars, just a Swift with a performance boost, suitable suspension and a rollcage.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited by vinod332002 : 29th March 2012 at 22:55.
Old 29th March 2012, 23:01   #9
BANNED

Wow! Now that's some good news for enthusiasts.

Ninja 250's, CBR's and R 15 will be the regular of the lot in the 2-wheeler category.

Cars it would be Swift, OHC VTEC's, Lancers (modded ones).

There will be a coaching class kind of thing before anyone is allowed to drive.

Will there be any kind of form to fill as in the driver is responsible for any damage/death while driving around the circuit, etc?
Old 29th March 2012, 23:17   #10
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant news! This will be huge fun and the event could catch on and the circuit will not lie vacant.

Now, I need to buy my RWD petrol car. No, the Nano won't do.

How many laps/ hours are each session?
Old 30th March 2012, 02:00   #11
BHPian

I can't wait to see what my W124 is like on the main straight! Never gone beyond 150 kmph as I run out of road. Will definitely attempt to go.

Great initiative by BIC. Let's hope they bring in the usual European standards when it comes to insurance, safety and the lot.
Old 30th March 2012, 05:58   #12
BHPian

Will everyone at the BIC start roaring with laughter if I turn up in my Waggie??

Jokes apart, this is a great initiative by the BIC. I do hope they give some safety instructions and some sort of insurance though, because as someone rightly said, not many of us are experienced track drivers.
Speed.Demon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 07:03   #13
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Thats NEWS! i have been waiting for. Would love to test my skills. My Vrs will love the trackday.

Has BIC updated anything regarding the same ?
Old 30th March 2012, 07:12   #14
Senior - BHPian

There was a similar session completed in Feb '12.

The owner has to sign an indemnity bond. The insurance had to come from the owner. First a session for theoretical race line for noob; braking pointers and such explained. The cars have to be taped of headlight and tail lamps so that broken glass if any is not on the track.

I found it to be tedious and the road car needs to really take a beating. Horses for courses is quite evident, BIC will make more profits having a fleet of Caterham or Ariel Atoms and rent them instead.

Karting takes air out of lungs, so this will be extraordinary experience. Thumbs up, but the prices are a bit on higher side.

Needed better insurance, tyre and fuel facility. Have fun.
Old 30th March 2012, 07:58   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post

. I believe OHC VTEC would be more fun. What do you think?

I used to take my OHC Vtec to the track. Modified it, beefed up the rear suspension. It is fun but do not expect too much from it. It is limited on cornering and brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Tyre damage will depend on how you drive and trust me you will not stop because of the car over heating. It will be because your body will give up way before your car will and I speak from personal experience. Track days even in normal road cars require great stamina.
Although I had been on track under supervision, when I took my own car out for the first time. I burnt the front left tyre since I was pushing the car instead of respecting its limitations. I was also over-enthusiastic. Take your time and get to know the circuit and your car, speed will automatically follow!

Yes, after you finish, you only want to sleep. Better than working out though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Will everyone at the BIC start roaring with laughter if I turn up in my Waggie??
People have shown up in Safari's and a contessa in Chennai. Take it along, you will understand your car better. However, it will be underwhelming if there are too many fast machines pushing you off track

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Thats NEWS! i have been waiting for. Would love to test my skills. My Vrs will love the trackday.
?
It gets hot under that bonnet. Have fun but keep an eye on the temperature. Worth easing off now and then to let engine take a break. When stopping, do not switch off engine. Let it idle. Open bonnet and let the trapped heat out and wait for 5 min then switch off else you will cook turbo
ajmat is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks