Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2006, 22:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Will we ever have an Indian GP? May be YES! in 2010

Now that we have had an Indian driver in F1, couple of team sponsors in formula 1, can we expect India to bring the sport homeward soon?

For a while it looked as if Chandrababu Naidu would do just that, and then he lost. Along with that, all hopes of hearing V8 engines at full blast in our very own backyard.

Small (but rich) principalities in Europe have their own races. Closer home, Malaysia and Bahrain..2 comparitively small countries host races. So why cant we have one??

Lets examine the case..we have an ever increasing viewership for F1, big tickets sponsors, growth potential and...sadly, plenty of red tape!

Imagine the possibilities with several traditional european races getting the boot, India could be in contention soon, if and only IF we are serious about it.

We could even get Schumy to design our track!
Old 6th November 2006, 10:30   #2
BHPian

i dont see an indian F1 cause of lot of reasons

1. govt is not interested, it might take a big private player to do it.
2. even when the decision is made the current chart is so full & even now as we discuss many more countries are running to make their F1 track.
3. tickets are too expensive when translated into rupees.
4. apart from some of us we are not a car obsessed nation. the major reason cars sell so more is for social status & not for personal enjoyment.

though i wud have loved to have an F1 race but i guess just like other things in our country we need a good leadership, a leader who has hot blood & not the ones who are half in the grave
Old 6th November 2006, 10:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Unlikely. Chandrababu Naidu was receptive to this idea, but there.
Old 6th November 2006, 15:31   #4
BHPian

Lack of Infrastructure

Its just not the Tracks or the immediate needs that have to be actually addressed to is what I feel... Even basic facilities like Hotels to accomodate the teams, the journos, The visitors etc are definitely lacking in any of or rather all of our cities.... Haven't we ourselves had problems regarding availability of accomodation when we travel?

To tune all this up is a mighty exercise by itself...

Have had the opportunity of being driven around the Dubai Autodrome (in a safety car of course) when there were no races... Was told that its a F1 standard track and the whole area around it is being done up to be able to host the races in the future...
Old 9th November 2006, 19:40   #5
F50
Senior - BHPian

May be YES!!! Bernie reveals that India will join F1 Calender by 2010.

Its not in Hyderabad then where ?? I hope its Mumbai.

Link
Old 9th November 2006, 19:59   #6
BANNED

Hey, This is unbelievable news ... I just hope it does work out and it doesnt end up being in states like Bihar or UP , coz then we know who will be driving on those tracks .

But seriously thinking I wonder which state it is ... coz knowing the political scenario pretty well I can't point at any state CM who might be bold enough to undertake such a project . The only one I can think of is the Panjab CM , hes pretty bold but I dont see no connection with Motorsport in that state as such .

IMHO, I think this will again fall flat on its face just like the earlier one . And its been very obvious for a long time that Ernie wants to head to India as he can see this country getting bigger and bigger day by day -- And you have to give it to that man for ' VISION ' !!

Cheers
Old 9th November 2006, 20:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

We don't even have decent races (other than some rallys) organised here in India (or do we?), let alone F1. And we hardly have any proper race tracks. The racer scene maybe high and all but we gotta start organising small races rather than bringing in F1 straight away.
Old 9th November 2006, 20:32   #8
BHPian

Indian F1

he says he's found a place, not sure where though.... I have a strong feeling that it's going to be chennai....

he also says that India is going to grow faster than China!! May be in racing!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/6133084.stm
Old 10th November 2006, 10:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

just read that article on F1 live as well..
pretty shocking !
and he's saying construction will begin shortly !!!!

maybe he's bought a state for himself.. plans to become the self elected PM and make F1 the official sport !

or maybe we'l have a street circuit in delhi itself !

Last edited by Hatari : 10th November 2006 at 10:41.
Old 10th November 2006, 11:04   #10
BHPian

This is a very old info... not sure if Bangalore is still in the race...

http://www.panstadia.com/vol9/94-006.htm

"Hermann Tilke himself, a highly respected circuit architect, led a four-man team that initially considered possible venues close to the cities of Bangalore, Chennai, Hyderabad and Mumbai. Eventually, they recommended an area near the southern city of Bangalore, situated inland 190-miles to the west of Madras, because of its more favourable topography and less brutal climate. Three possible locations were then short-listed, each one a 1,200-acre site within the Devanahali locality just outside Bangalore. Tilke already has well over two-dozen circuit designs in a portfolio that includes Malaysia’s state-of-the-art Sepang circuit, plus last year’s Hockenheim revamp. The business consortium is budgeting for the F1 circuit to cost nearly $150m, including an integral convention centre and five-star hotel facility."

An event like F1 will put a lot of financial pressure on Govt., but a commitment to host an event as big as F1 will also help the city/state to gear up with better infrastrucutre and a deadline will mean that they have to complete whatever they start...

There are going to be many many sections of the society and politicians who will argue against such huge spending!! Lets wait and watch!
Old 10th November 2006, 11:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
But seriously thinking I wonder which state it is ... coz knowing the political scenario pretty well I can't point at any state CM who might be bold enough to undertake such a project
Wouldn't be too surprised if it turns out to be West Bengal.....Buddhadeb Bhattacharya seems to be the one with b**** to take on a project like this. Quite a few years back, there was this rumour about a F1 track on the outskirts of Kolkata - they have a lot of land, only thing is there would be major protests from the general junta (Mamata Chowdhury types) so I doubt whether it would get off the ground
Old 10th November 2006, 11:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

the only city I can think of is New Delhi (NCR).

It has the roads for a street circuit. Alternatively, there is enuf land available in NCR close to Manesar to build a dedicated track.

Plus Delhi has the best road network of any city in India to ferry people to and fro to teh track as well as plenty of 5 star hotels to take care of acco.

So my bet would be on Delhi hosting the race. Cant htink of any other Indian city that can do it.

Cities like Bangalore and Mumbai have more of a racing/motorsport culture but fall short on infrastructure.
Old 10th November 2006, 11:53   #13
BHPian

Location: Windsor, Canada... But still a Bombay-Boy at heart !!!

India wil have a GP in 2010 and I will hopefully bring Carmen Electra on a date with me to the race and onto the podium where I shall award Karun Chandok first place trophy for winning in a Ferrari.

Not to be a pessimist or anything, but unless the people who are willing to spend the money on infrastructure and other stuff get help from the Government... the thought of the Indian GP may just remain a dream. Hyderabad had it going good and Ecclestone was convinced that AP could host a race by 2010 or 2011. But there goes Chandrababu Naidu, and along with him all hopes for F1 in India by end of the decade. Indian Government has never even bid for a FIFA world cup yet and seems intent only on 2016 Olympics. Someone needs to show them reason.
Old 10th November 2006, 13:44   #14
BHPian

Actually - there have been some options put forth to the motorsport fraternity.

chennai - the existing track could easily be upgraded to accomodate F1 cars.

Delhi - for a street circuit a la monaco.

and of course bangalore or mumbai where a new track could be made.

out of these delhi is the one with the highest chances as it requires minimum investment when compared to the other cities. there are already flights connecting delhi to most international cities. and of course the number of star category hotel rooms - probably the maximum in india so far.
Old 10th November 2006, 15:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav
This is a very old info... not sure if Bangalore is still in the race...
bernie said this only a few days back..
so its fresh..

if i'm going to think about this seriously..
then i think its bernie playing mind games to get the indian motorsport clubs to pull their socks up and do something constructive about this other than get involved in inter 'association-politics'

a street race is impossible in india
monaco is and will be the only exception, where incidently the circuit hosts the race for FREE
all other venues pay the FIA for hosting races..
(with shanghai topping the list with $33 million)

Last edited by Hatari : 10th November 2006 at 16:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks