Team-BHP > Motor-Sports > Indian Motorsport
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2005, 10:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey Haryan, why are the results in post #8 different from 14.
Old 12th December 2005, 11:29   #17
BHPian

Some Photographs :
Sanket Shanbhag in Action

Sanjay Agarwal

GS Joshi

Pritveen's car after he toppled off 15 feet tank bund ...

Rahul Kanthraj and Vivek Bhat

Stage II flying finish ... 1.8 Kms straight .. Balenos touched an estimated 175kmph here ..
Old 12th December 2005, 11:31   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Hey Haryan, why are the results in post #8 different from 14.
results in post 8 are of SSS Super special stage held on FridaY...
results in post 14 are at the end of the deccan rally ...

MRF won the APRC with Jussi Valimaki taking the title
Old 12th December 2005, 11:54   #19
BHPian

this photograph was taken by Jiby Malliakkal from his Honda City .. he said its a special effect photograph for me .. thats me in my Astra ..

Jiby in a pensive mood in Service park .. THIS IS JIBY'S LAST RALLY according to him, he is retiring after this rally

Glamour at the Deccan Rally..
Rayna Aranhya and Radhika

Sanjay Agarwal and His Navigator ..

Lohith Urs in action in Stage III

Naren Kumar in action in stage III

Phillipose mathai

Pritvi smashed his car into a tree ... the result was this
Old 12th December 2005, 12:38   #20
BHPian

Busted Nitrous Suspension from Rahul Kanthrajs Baleno ...

Jiby's Honda City VTEC engine compartment .. you can see the Nitogen Canisters for Suspension on the Strut Brace

Naren celebrating at the Podium

Naren with trophies

Sanket Shanbhag and His father at the Prize distribution with their Hard earned Trophies

GS Joshi and Srikanth at Prize Distribution

Last edited by haryan : 12th December 2005 at 12:40.
Old 12th December 2005, 15:28   #21
BHPian

this is the near the flying finish of SS2 in Hyderabad Deccan rally ... Naren Kumar was coming full flat out .. almost 175 Kmph ...
I had Naren Kumar in my sights when i clicked ... and this is the result ...

Old 13th December 2005, 09:44   #22
Tom
BHPian

175 kph on gravel!!!??
isnt that a little over optimistic?

Last edited by Tom : 13th December 2005 at 09:46.
Old 13th December 2005, 10:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Its also a little scary for spectators...considering that there was a fatal incident recently involving a kid and rally car.
Old 13th December 2005, 10:07   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
175 kph on gravel!!!??
no. (thats what i keep telling everyone)
Old 13th December 2005, 10:13   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Its also a little scary for spectators...considering that there was a fatal incident recently involving a kid and rally car.
the kid ran out in front of the car at the last minute. Its not as though the car went into the crowd. Its a sad and unfortunate accident, but lets not make it out to be anything other than that please.
Old 13th December 2005, 11:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
175 kph on gravel!!!??
nope... we clocked an realistic 135kmph in the gypsy on that straight :-)
Old 13th December 2005, 20:14   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcheetah
Hey there Mpower ,
Dont know about the Championship points but Leela is not tunning MRF cars now . They are being done by J.Anand ..
Vikram was involved in a serious accident (Spectacular one i may say) during the Rally of the North and ended up with a broke hand and wrist....
Hey BC, Vikram is an aggresive driver for sure. I remember racing wheel to wheel with him in a FISSME at the Chennai track and some of the moves he pulled on me were simply too crazy. The man has no fear.
Old 13th December 2005, 20:30   #28
BHPian

You said it mate ,
Vik is a very good driver , it was very unfortunate that he had this crash in delhi. but if its any consolation he was around 9.5 seconds quicker that the second car in the stage he crashed.

even other wise he is a good bloke , went out drinking with him during the rally and it was fun . also met up with sanket and his dad .
Old 14th December 2005, 17:29   #29
BHPian

My first Rally as a spectator

I would rather go close to the snakes than veer myself anywhere near the road. What road, the others might say. It was an undulating gravel track formed by Bullock Cart wheels. Yet, that day, the bullock carts stayed clear as multicolored vehicles zoomed past over 170 km per hour. A cloud of dust in the distance was enough to make everyone scurrying for cover behind the bushes. The sound emanating from these cars was pure music to the average petrol head, while the more discerning variety would try and judge the state of the engine by it. By the time 22 cars passed by, I had a lung full of fine dust and I did not feel any different from the average 1 pack a day smoker. I was watching the 1400 and the 1600 cc class compete each other in their own category, and I will swear by God that I would love to witness even a higher class category with louder and shriller engine sounds and more sand polluting power.

The speeds at which these guys cornered their vehicles speaks oodles of their talent and precision in handling their cars and I wouldn't bet my money even on the rich yuppie bloke in a Porche Cayenne to go any quicker than these rallyists. This sport is not for men who love driving, it is for those with GUTS, talent, LOADS OF GUTS, and of course loads of money. From what I heard, the prize money is pittance but the adrenalin rush and the respect is close to that of GOD. That is because you just feel these guys pass you, you never get to see them; They are so god damn fast. The GOD in this race was none other than Mr. Ram Naren, an absolute cool sweet looking kid who could probably make you believe that he has just passed out of college and attempting to learn how to drive (He is 34 by the way). But let his feet touch those pedals and the floor below them will burn with friction. That is what you call pedal to metal guys.

Ram Naren, drove a Yellow colored Baleno. Painted bright yellow with the mandatory stickers all over, it was in stock form, with no change whatsoever to the engine, the transmission system, or the induction system (a K & N insert is however allowed for better air intake). This is a requirement by the Rallying federation to ensure fair play and allow everyone to be on par. The things that they are allowed to change are the tires (sponsored by JK & MRF) and the suspension system. Their suspensions have to be so hard so that it will allow the car to corner real hard. With a stock suspension you would have nothing but a tail happy car if you attempt anything even close to what these rallyists do. I got a chance to actually push these cars down to feel their suspension travel. There was no travel at all. They were so hard; I couldn't push it down a millimeter. Apart from that, to lighten the car, the back seats are removed, no music system, no air conditioning, and no frills whatsoever. All these are replaced by solid Bars (Anti Roll Bars) that provide rigidity to the shell area where the driver and the navigator sit, incase the vehicle has an accident or rolls over. A deep hard fiber seat for the driver and navigator replace the normal comfy seats that we have, along with a 4 point harness belt to keep you in place while you go cornering your vehicle.

There were about 4 stages in the rally for the day. Between every stage the car comes back to the service station where it undergoes tuning, repairs and changes for the next stage. Every car is given a maximum of 20 minutes after which penalty points are awarded. So therefore to make sure that the car tuning is completed in 20 minutes, each participant has a separate tuner team that get to work on the car like a pack of hounds, only difference being, they try bringing the car back to new instead of ripping it apart. I had the pleasure of watching Ram Naren's tuners (Leela a former rallyist and the best in the tuning business from Coimbatore) watch his men fix Ram Naren's vehicle. Even before Naren could get out of his vehicle, the car was jacked and tires removed. About ten people were all over the car, changing and fixing things. In this case, the twenty minutes ticked by and the car was yet unfinished and the scene literally turned out where Naren was sitting on the seat on his feet squatted, while the mechanic hammered away near the steering column to fix something (overheard it as some transmission engaging problem). After losing about 7 seconds as penalty he took off in a panicky state, with Leela assuring him that all was fine, I saw the same man breaking from 170 kmph to zero and covering up on those 7 seconds and more. Imagine the load on the transmission with that kind of breaking, well its time to give some kudos to the car as well.

A very kind Mr. Sagar offered me a chance to sit in a 00 car ( a safety car that surveys the stage 20 minutes before the first rally car). They have to complete the stage at high speeds as well, to gauge the safety of the track. Very tempting offer indeed, but considering those bumps, hard suspensions and the state of my back, I did not consider it.

Surprisingly, apart from Balenos and Esteems and a lone old Honda City VTEC, there were no other cars from other manufacturers. What happened to the Josh Ikon and the Palio 1.6? I wonder. It's not that these cars could not have been up to the challenge. It's just that Maruti is King when it comes to performance, engines, transmission, price and spare parts availability. Kudos again to the vehicle I drive, The Baleno – Surprising Performance J

Regards,
Burjis

Last edited by burjiis : 14th December 2005 at 17:32.
Old 14th December 2005, 20:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Nice report Burjis. Naren is so good he is wasting his time in Indian rallying. Hopefully he can get a ride for APRC next year. JK is already sponsoring Karamjit, so it dosent take much to add Naren as his teammate. JK sponsor him Vikram can take care of the INRC title.

I would like to see some variety in cars as well. We had JK-Lancers for a couple of years but now they disappered. Hopefully the new Fiesta and VTEC will show up in the scene soon. Are they still using Indicas for double zero cars?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks