Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2011, 16:19   #16
BHPian

Re: BMW developing a Diesel //M5?

Does anyone know if the 'X' in the name suggest that its gonna be an all wheel drive.??
I remember reading it somewhere that the next gen m5 might have an allwheel drive option.
Old 24th August 2011, 16:50   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
Does anyone know if the 'X' in the name suggest that its gonna be an all wheel drive.??
I remember reading it somewhere that the next gen m5 might have an allwheel drive option.

Yes. The term 'xDrive' in a BMW means it sports AWD
Old 24th August 2011, 19:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Which is a reason why Audi has never brought the A8 W12 or Q7 V12 to India.
Actually the W12 A8 is officially available in India since last month. And I believe it was available on the old A8 as well. Sanju baba had one.
Old 24th August 2011, 19:31   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingSpur View Post
Actually the W12 A8 is officially available in India since last month. And I believe it was available on the old A8 as well. Sanju baba had one.
Yes, of course we've had the W12 A8 for long, both the new and old gen were available in India. The Audi Media car itself is a Champagne Gold A8 W12. In fact, there are quite some Lamborghini engined S8s around too

Plus there are unconfirmed reports of a Q7 V12 TDi in Delhi.

Last edited by Scorcher : 24th August 2011 at 19:37.
Old 24th August 2011, 20:42   #20
BHPian

That Q7 V12 was probably imported as it is nt available by Audi India
Old 25th August 2011, 11:39   #21
BANNED

This really is interesting. I wonder how much mileage will one get from one this if they ever do see the production line. Finally a high performance car which gives a good average ?
Old 25th August 2011, 12:50   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneet_b View Post
This really is interesting. I wonder how much mileage will one get from one this if they ever do see the production line. Finally a high performance car which gives a good average ?

Probably a tad better than its petrol sibling. Otherwise, hardly anything. The 3 litre v6 diesels in Audi/BMW/Mercedes give single digit figures in bumper to bumper traffic situations more often than not. Makes no sense expecting good average from this tri-turbo oil-burning monster.
Old 25th August 2011, 13:55   #23
BHPian

Another issue with such big engine vehicles as I've experienced with my 330i, if you are super light on the accelerator, you can get good mileage, but that said, even the slightest push of the pedal any further, the mileage drastically drops. Add to that bumper-2-bumper traffic.
So no matter what the company will claim even the M5 diesel will drink enough fuel to annoy environmentalists.
Old 25th August 2011, 15:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Scoop: X6//M caught testing with Tri-Turbo Diesel Engine?

Just as we speak about the //M5d, an X6//M has been spotted undergoing testing. But what gets us thinking here is all the extra air scoops on the bonnet, chances are it could very well be the hot topic, tri-turbo diesel. Fingers crossed!
Quote:
Here is a tricky one; we can all see that it’s a BMW X6 M but what engine is in there? What kind of engine needs so much air that BMW reinvented the scoop. Well, we have two guesses: It’s a high-power version of the twin-turbo V8 known from the X6 M OR it’s the rumored tri-turbo high-power diesel engine. That would make this a test mule for the BMW X6 xDrive 55dM or what BMW decides to call it. Insiders at BMW say that the tri-turbo diesel engine will first come in the face lifted X6 and later follow in the 5-series as an M550dX. And if this really should be that monster diesel, the rumored 500+ horsepower will definitely need more air. We heard figures between 500 up to 540 horsepower with a torque north of 650 lb-ft. We will keep updated as soon as we hear some more news about the hot-rod X6.
Source
Attached Thumbnails
BMW developing a Diesel //M5?-bmwx6mtriturbo1.jpg  

BMW developing a Diesel //M5?-bmwx6mtriturbo3.jpg  

BMW developing a Diesel //M5?-bmwx6mtriturbo4.jpg  

BMW developing a Diesel //M5?-bmwx6mtriturbo5.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 23rd November 2011, 09:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

More details emerge on the M550d. The figures are lip-smackingly good, 375 bhp, 700 Nm!

Source
Quote:
A recent dealer presentation in the Netherlands has revealed some further specifications and more concrete evidence for BMW's long rumored 5-Series diesel from M division.
According to the leaked specs, the tri-turbo six-cylinder diesel will benefit from 381 PS (375 bhp / 280 kW). Although this doesn't sound like M division territory, the torque figure of over 700 Nm (516 lb-ft) makes it a viable alternative to the BMW 550i with 408 PS (402 hp / 300 kW) and 600 Nm (440 lb-ft) of torque.
Officially, BMW has yet to confirm the model representative of a diesel M5. However, M division's global marketing manager, Brian Watts has previously confirmed the model is under consideration.
In light of this new information, speculation abounds about the M550d being offered in both F10 sedan and F11 wagon variants. Furthermore, the tri-diesel engine could also find its way into the X5M/X6M SAVs.
Old 23rd November 2011, 15:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

How difficult is it to add variable displacement (cylinder deactivation) technology to turbocharged engines? Then the fuel effiency problem in city conditions (where you don't need much power anyway) is solved!

And BMW is trying to go green anyway, with their i cars. May be BMW can lead by example to make performance cars fuel efficient, whenever performance factor is out of the equation.
Old 23rd November 2011, 17:50   #27
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The competing Audi options including the top end ones like R8 being a diesel I guess a Diesel M5 does make a lot of sense. The Modern Diesel engine powerplant is now definately on par with a petrol heart as we move forward. Diesel is inherently more fuel effecient and with a combination of multiple turbos one can get the required torque and thrust in even smaller more effecient engines.

A correct step, but they have not really pioneered out here and are followers, their approach may be unique but still does not qualify as a first mover.
Old 23rd November 2011, 18:50   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Another issue with such big engine vehicles as I've experienced with my 330i, if you are super light on the accelerator, you can get good mileage, but that said, even the slightest push of the pedal any further, the mileage drastically drops. Add to that bumper-2-bumper traffic.
So no matter what the company will claim even the M5 diesel will drink enough fuel to annoy environmentalists.

I noticed the same problem at least with my diesel 20d. feather light acceleration mileage is great. one push into a kickdown finished! that to being a bmw its really really hard to avoid a kickdown given the power on hand.
As for diesel, i think diesel is almost the same price or if not more expensive in the US than petrol.
Old 13th December 2011, 01:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

BMW M550d & X6 M50d performance specs leaked

Quote:
Performance and efficiency combined

A new chapter powered by M. Step 1. - YouTube

New details are starting to emerge about the BMW X6 M50d and M550d xDrive.

First up, the X6 M50d is expected to go into production in April with a tri-turbo 3.0-liter six-cylinder engine that develops 381 PS (280 kW / 375 hp) and 740 Nm (546 lb-ft) of torque - 40 Nm (30 lb-ft) more than originally speculated. This could enable the model to accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 4.9 seconds which is just 0.2 seconds slower than the standard X6 M.

The report also indicates the M550d xDrive will use the same engine and accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 4.7 seconds. In terms of efficiency, the sedan is expected to average 6.3 L/100 km (37.3 mpg US / 44.8 mpg UK) with CO2 emissions of 165 g/km. If everything pans out, it will roll off the assembly line in March and be offered exclusively in Europe.
Source

Tri-Turbo! 740 Nm of Torque! The M550d is just 0.3 seconds slower than the M5 to the ton! What a car!
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 10:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW M550d & X6 M50d performance specs leaked

WOW !!!
Some car. Wait..no, NOT a car. Its a bloody locomotive disguised as a little car. Just look at that torque figure man !! This thing could pull a rajdhani from Mumbai to Delhi in lesser time than an ACTUAL rajdhani.
Pardon me i know i am not making much sense but those figures with a diesel engine makes the deal so dam sweet.
I am pretty sure this 1 would be cheaper than the actual M5 and i for one would not pay a hefty premium for a 0-62 advantage of 2/10ths of a second !
This should ideally be the M5 for India looking at the petrol prices and availability (or should i say non availability ) of high grade petrol.
Well, this is THE M5 to own, for me at least.
Audi are you listening ? Where on earth are the A6/A7 4.2 TDi ?

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 13th December 2011 at 10:42.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks