Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2013, 09:59   #46
BHPian

Re: New Toyota Corolla for 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
If you've noticed carefully, manufacturers seem to be keen on making their lower offering look like their better offering with every iteration.

Hyundai made the Verna look like the Elantra
Honda made their City look like the Civic
Toyota is making Corolla look like Camry

All these cars have gone from looking like Hyundai Accent to what they are today.

And then the better offering is made to look like their best offering and so.. on.
Actually, this is happening so as to emphasize their cheaper models as the clones of their more expensive counterparts as an effort to increase sales by upping the luxury-quotient. This is a technique that has worked, just ask Verna. But the Corolla looks fussy now! The Etios-type front and lexus-ish back may win it customers, but it has lost individuality in the design sector. The current Corolla looks much better and understated than this. It looks like an angry Etios! They should again reconsider the design as this just looks too fussy for a Corolla, as a no-nonsense sedan.

Keep revvin'
S@ndy

Last edited by S@ndy : 21st March 2013 at 10:00.
Old 21st March 2013, 10:14   #47
BHPian

Maaaan! This 2014 Corolla looks too funky for my tastes, the older Corollas have a classy, professional yet suitably stylish looks. This one is just an other car among the crowd.
This is a more 'fluidic' version of the older Corolla if I have to explain this using Hyundai terminology.

The Corollas was my (realistic) dream car I wanted to buy but it's now time to create (not pursue) a new one. :(
Old 21st March 2013, 10:39   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
If you've noticed carefully, manufacturers seem to be keen on making their lower offering look like their better offering with every iteration.
Manufacturers tend to have a unified design philosophy for their offerings for a number of reasons.

Product positioning - When you liken the design of a budget or lesser-priced offering (for example the verna) with a car by the same manufacturer from higher segments (for example the sonata) it adds a tinge of premiumness to the lesser priced offering.

Lowered design costs - once a design philosophy has been outlined by a company they have to simply stretch or shrink a design to comply with the dimensions of a segment (for example the Audi family - A4, A6 and A8).

Easier identification - It increases brand awareness when people can pick out select design traits from a vehicle (Audi's LED DRL's or BMW's kidney grill) and identify it as an offering from that manufacturer, even if they have never heard of that particular model before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
I like the look of the new Corolla and I hope the rendering done by Autocar India comes into production.
Agreed. I applaud Toyota for their new styling direction as seen in cars like the new Camry with its Lexus inspired front end. The spy pictures reveal a handsome rear, with sculpted rear arches. With Toyota introducing Lexus-like designs in their new models, and Lexus moving towards a trapezoidal grille I think that the new Corolla is less inspired by the Furia concept and more Lexus-like.

I wouldn't consider the Etios/Liva a Toyota model in the truest sense (no offense meant to Etios/Liva owners) only because it isn't a global model and the amount of cost cutting is glaring in that car. In this model however, you could be assured of a well thought out interior, bullet proof reliability and a staid comfy dynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The D segment is anyways not seeing much action in the market today and Altis as a car generally doesn't figure on a enthusiasts shopping list.
Its because shoppers in the C+ segment are not looking for merely outright value from a car and this is why the segment is so diverse - the Cruze with a thumping engine and aggressive design, the Laura/Jetta with upmarket interiors and European mannerisms, the Civic that screams futuristic and the Corolla that aims to be a perfect balance of all aspects of a car. Some people may call them an appliance similar to a toaster, but cars like these satisfy 90% of the segment's requirements.

Last edited by Motored Mindset : 21st March 2013 at 10:56.
Motored Mindset is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 11:44   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
Lots of members here would disagree but I feel Toyota should give a minor facelift to the Altis and keep it on sale in India even after the new Furia is launched. If they move the Altis lower, it still has great potential to compete with the likes of Verna etc.

Even Skoda's planning to keep on selling the Laura after the new Octy comes later this year.
I don't think that'll be a good idea. If they offer a face lifted or say even a downgraded Altis at Verna prices, they will be jeopardising sales of the new Corolla. Toyota will find it hard to justify the price difference for the new model. Plus it will further kill resale value for existing Altis owners. Which means dissatisfaction for current owners. Toyota has a lot of loyal customers for various reasons, not least of which is that their cars command good resale values. Such a move may strike a wrong chord with its loyal customers.

If they really want a bite from the C+ segment, they need to introduce a new car.

In Skoda's case they will be forced to sell Lauras along side the new Octavia simply because they will not have exhausted stocks of Laura kits. Once that is done the Laura will be history.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 21st March 2013 at 11:57.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 14:40   #50
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2013 Toyota Corolla- Not too Far Away

I think the new model is a conscious design by Toyota to bring younger buyer to showrooms. It is their design philosophy, or long term plan IMO. They made staid looking cheaper cars earlier, which won over competition with bulletproof reliability.

Now with the competition catching up, they have redesigned their cars to make those appealing to the younger buyers, especially in US & Europe, & improved the driving dynamics just a little without giving up the comfortable ride for which Toyotas are known for. The developing countries of Asia are just benefiting due to this.

I only wish, this car was as sharp handler as it looks , but I know it won't be.
Old 21st March 2013, 14:59   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I don't think that'll be a good idea. If they offer a face lifted or say even a downgraded Altis at Verna prices, they will be jeopardising sales of the new Corolla. Toyota will find it hard to justify the price difference for the new model. Plus it will further kill resale value for existing Altis owners. Which means dissatisfaction for current owners. Toyota has a lot of loyal customers for various reasons, not least of which is that their cars command good resale values. Such a move may strike a wrong chord with its loyal customers.

If they really want a bite from the C+ segment, they need to introduce a new car.
I agree, and to add-on, I don’t think Toyota would want to do something similar to what Chevrolet did with the Optra.
---------

Coming to the new car, I did not like the Etios-like design language. They really need to hire some high-caliber designer to work for them. For inspiration, they can just look over to their neighbouring country (S.Korea) and see how a brand like KIA have transformed under the expert guidance of Peter Schreyer.
Old 21st March 2013, 22:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I agree, and to add-on, I don’t think Toyota would want to do something similar to what Chevrolet did with the Optra.
---------

Coming to the new car, I did not like the Etios-like design language. They really need to hire some high-caliber designer to work for them. For inspiration, they can just look over to their neighbouring country (S.Korea) and see how a brand like KIA have transformed under the expert guidance of Peter Schreyer.

You are right there sir. The KIAs of today are gorgeous and very well differentiated from the Hyundais which it shares it platforms with.
The new Corolla isnt a bad looking car but considering its a 2013/14 model that will be sold even in 2019, i feel they have not done a good job. The car is bound to feel a bit old by the time we hit 2016.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 00:11   #53
Senior - BHPian

Details of the 2014 Corolla engine/transmissions etc. are out -
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/09/2...etails-leaked/

I'm shocked they have the audacity to offer a 4 speed automatic in this day and age. They might still sell in droves just because of the reliability and low cost of ownership image. But it just shows that they don't really care much for giving their customers a better overall product.
Old 10th May 2013, 20:43   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Details of the 2014 Corolla engine/transmissions etc. are out -
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/09/2...etails-leaked/

I'm shocked they have the audacity to offer a 4 speed automatic in this day and age. They might still sell in droves just because of the reliability and low cost of ownership image. But it just shows that they don't really care much for giving their customers a better overall product.
So what is better overall product? The intelligent tranny (DSG) that keeps failing in middle of road and leaves you stranded or the stone aged 4 speed AT product that gives you trouble free experience. By the way, I am in no way supporting Toyota to provide 4 speed AT but I will take it any day over unreliable product. And if you read the entire article, it mentions that 4 sped AT will be only for base model and higher spec models will get 7 Speed CVT that we already have in India.

And product specs are always dependent on market conditions. Current generation Corolla Alits has 7 speed CVT in India where as USA spec Corolla still has 4 speed AT and still going strong. It all depends on market dynamics.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 10th May 2013 at 20:45.
Old 10th May 2013, 20:49   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
So what is better overall product? The intelligent tranny (DSG) that keeps failing in middle of road and leaves you stranded or the stone aged 4 speed AT product that gives you trouble free experience. By the way, I am in no way supporting Toyota to provide 4 speed AT but I will take it any day over unreliable product. And if you read the entire article, it mentions that 4 sped AT will be only for base model and higher spec models will get 7 Speed CVT that we already have in India.

And product specs are always dependent on market conditions. Current generation Corolla Alits has 7 speed CVT in India where as USA spec Corolla still has 4 speed AT and still going strong. It all depends on market dynamics.
It's also called milking the cash cow. I know Toyota is an a position of advantage and everyone is offering better technology to catch up with the sales numbers. But Corolla just has been such a disappointment. Drive it back to back with any of its competitors and you will know what I mean. No other car is so uninspiring and has such poor quality interiors in the segment! I expect Toyota to do better. The Elantra has been the most reliable in the segment by statistics in the last couple of years. If other catch up Corolla will fall behind. There was a 2011 article from Motor Trend on the Corolla - it summarizes what I also am trying to say. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e/viewall.html
Old 10th May 2013, 20:59   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
It's also called milking the cash cow. I know Toyota is an a position of advantage and everyone is offering better technology to catch up with the sales numbers. But Corolla just has been such a disappointment. Drive it back to back with any of its competitors and you will know what I mean. No other car is so uninspiring and has such poor quality interiors in the segment! I expect Toyota to do better. The Elantra has been the most reliable in the segment by statistics in the last couple of years. If other catch up Corolla will fall behind. There was a 2011 article from Motor Trend on the Corolla - it summarizes what I also am trying to say. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...e/viewall.html
Competition catching up? Yes, because Elentra and Civic both are new models. And new Corolla is expected to be in the same league. Just wait and watch. Even this so called uninspiring car is giving tough fight to new models in USA as far as sales is concerned. Just check out the sales numbers. For eg: new Camry has been selling more than Sonota even though the later offers more features.
Milking the cash cow? Why not. If competition was not upto the mark, it ain't Toyota's problem. Even though I am Toyota fan, I am happy that Elentra is doing good lately cause that will force Toyota to up the game.

So called uninspiring to drive and really poor quality interior: again you are comparing latest model of Elentra to outgoing model of Corolla. Please compare the out going model of Elentra to Corolla and you will know the difference right away. And please check Consumer Reports for most reliable car in its segment.

Last edited by Nitrous Power : 10th May 2013 at 21:12.
Old 10th May 2013, 21:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post

And please check Consumer Reports for most reliable car in its segment.
It definitely is not the Corolla. It is the Subaru Impreza and it was the Elantra the year before or so -
http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2...le-cars/5.html

JD Power also doesn't have the Corolla as top rated (or even in the top 3), although the Toyota Prius is. -

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/dependability.htm

I really hope they up the game with this generation in terms of interiors and drive train. Otherwise It is just not going to be competitive anymore and will be an appliance that sells just based on some historical perception of reliability.

Knowing Toyota, they will take a safe approach (the cash cow approach). I think all their R&D money is spent on Lexus brand and the GT86. They are just not focusing on cars that everyday people drive. That happened with the Camry (which was the top selling most reliable car in its segment), which is now losing market share and reliability - both. Read this - http://www.mercurynews.com/cars/ci_2...-midsize-sedan

So people who have been buying Toyota's for their traditional virtues of dependability are becoming older and they are not the main car buying market, Toyota cannot sit on their laurels and expect to sell. I'm not anti Toyota or anything, but for a company that has been so innovative and at the forefront of technological innovation and cutting edge products before, they are just losing direction.

With that, I rest my case!
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:56   #58
BHPian

This just in

2013 Toyota Corolla- Not too Far Away-2014toyotacorollateaserrear1024x682.jpg

According to IAB, this is the first teaser of the upcoming Corolla.

Article here

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/05/2...a-teased-77324
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:52   #59
BHPian

News - New Toyota Corolla to be unveiled on June 6

AutocarIndia just tweeted that new Toyota corolla would be unveiled, Codename E160, at an event in USA, on June 6. It is based on the Furia concept car showcased at the Detroit motor show in January.
The engines that power this new Corolla are expected to be similar to the ones that power the car currently on sale in India. Both the 1.8 petrol and the 1.4 diesel will be updated to improve performance and power delivery. The 1.8 petrol gets dual VVTi, as earlier, Both the engine and gearing are likely to be optimised to make the new Corolla more efficient and there will be a seven-step CVT-based automatic gearbox, similar to the one on the current car. The 1.4 diesel will carry on with the variable geometry turbo seen on the current Altis, and while power isn’t expected to cross 90bhp, Toyota is working hard to improve driveability.

detailed article and images at link: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/337...on-june-6.aspx

Also ..Autocarindia claims that the car that debuts in India may have styling that is slightly altered..expected launch in india in early 2014

Mods: Please move the thread as applicable

Last edited by spyder918 : 22nd May 2013 at 12:56. Reason: Thread arrangement request
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:59   #60
BHPian

Re: News - New Toyota Corolla to be unveiled on June 6

The diesel engine's power isn't expected to cross 90bhp according to the link. I'm not sure what the diesel variant offers.

The petrol engine however is a beast.

Overall is there anything really new? I doubt it and apparently Toyota is looking to make this more sporty? I prefer the classy and (relatively) vintage looks of the current Corolla.

I'm expecting to be disappointed by this launch. Hopefully it won't be the case.
dozer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks