Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
There is no such thing as a new Laura.
then what is this:

Quote:
the new Octavia is once again rebadged the Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Would the current Rapid be obsolete in a few months .
Highly unlikely, considering:

1. More than 66% of Skoda's sales come from the Rapid ( if you take June figures) so they'd be better off discontinuing other models that dont sell in so many numbers, and

2. It is a new model.
Old 13th July 2012, 21:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: European Skoda Rapid Spotted; All new car based on Mission L concept

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
It's probably been already posted here but here are some pics and other news of the new Octavia. Whether it would be known as the Laura or Octavia is still in the realm of conjecture.

Skoda India plans to re-launch new Octavia, to replace Laura in 2013 | Bharath Autos - Automobile News Updates
Sir, this is just some random rendering. It is not an image provided by Skoda and also please note the new Octavia will have the new SKODA design language as seen in the Euro Rapid.
Old 14th July 2012, 00:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir, this is just some random rendering. It is not an image provided by Skoda and also please note the new Octavia will have the new SKODA design language as seen in the Euro Rapid.
+1, Guys, with no disrespect to any other source, let's drop the habit of getting alarmed at any random pics or news posted mostly by some 'local-chap' sources.

Of late, I see dozens of websites and sources come up almost daily. Let's quote with some creditable source (like ACI, Overdrive, xbhp etc.)
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2012, 09:53   #49
BANNED

Quite rightly said. If you look at the pics of the Rapid on page 1 of this thread, it is different from the pics of the Rapid on page 3, the main difference being the grille conveying the Mission L design theme. It's not that the pics of the Rapid on page 1 are inaccurate (although it is from a reliable source); just that they indicated the design language at a certain point in time. Purely in terms of an ability to accurately predict model evolution, some sources are more accurate than others although which one would really be the most accurate is something only time can tell.

Nearer home, Autocar India ran a cover story that the name of the new Skoda would be Lauretta which by all accounts would appear to be a blooper. Not really though, because the rear cover page of the owner's manual of the Rapid reads: Lauretta anglicky. Anglicky is Czech for English. Someone in Skoda Cz stopped his proof reading at the last but one page and so we have official confirmation that there was a plan to have named the Rapid as Lauretta.

Without this information, it would appear that the cover story was wrong and the source unreliable.
Old 20th July 2012, 12:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

The Euro Rapid is being launched in Australia & Carpoint Australia have reviewed the same. Here, is the launch review report:

Skoda Rapid: Launch Review

However, I fear that this car may not be as good handler as the Rapid we have, despite being much bigger & smarter looking. If this is launched as Octavia in India, the brand may loose its mojo.
Old 21st July 2012, 08:06   #51
Team-BHP Support

Here is another review from Autocar UK:
First drive review: Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI Review | Autocar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The European Rapid will come to India and slot itself between the India Rapid and the Laura. It will be called the Octavia which is Skoda's attempt at reviving the Octavia name for our market. From all accounts it looks like being a lovely car the way the original Octy was.
Obviously there will be reasonable product differentiation between the three and price differences too. Check the latest Autobild mag, it talks of all this.
Its disappointing if this information is from Autobild is reliable. What I read so far was Skoda will bring back the Octavia name back to India with the 3rd gen (discontinuing the Laura name). I hope they continue with that plan.
And checking around, the Skoda Rapid in UK is with the same engine options as in India – 1.6 TDI diesel, and 1.2 TSI petrol (which is infact the global entry level replacement for the 1.6 petrol we have).

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Autobild even talks about a face lifted Yeti which is expected in Europe later this year so I guess it will percolate to India a year later give or take. The new Yeti is even more Tiguan-like and this leads me to think the itself is also due for a makeover at VW.
Wonder when and if ever they will launch the Tiguan here because that would indeed be a nice next level upgrade from the Yeti if the Tiguan is priced sensibly in the region of the Superb. The Tiguan is like a baby Touareg which I like a lot! One can always aspire from a Tiguan to the Q3 or maybe even Q5!
I am not sure when you say that the Tiguan is kind of an upgrade from the Yeti. Its like saying moving from a Laura to the Jetta is an upgrade. For me, both Yeti and Tiguan are in the same segment (unless you think that VW is a premium brand than Skoda). Even size-wise both cars are almost identical. Here in Singapore, a regular 2.0 (170bhp) Tiguan is priced lower than the 1.8 (160bhp) Yeti, and 2.0 Tiguan sport (210 bhp) costs a bit more.

Tiguan may not get a makeover soon. There was a facelift happened in 2011, and with the familiar VW family face, it looks much more handsome now

Note: Replying in the thread specific to Euro Rapid.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2012, 09:12   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san
I am not sure when you say that the Tiguan is kind of an upgrade from the Yeti. Its like saying moving from a Laura to the Jetta is an upgrade. For me, both Yeti and Tiguan are in the same segment (unless you think that VW is a premium brand than Skoda). Even size-wise both cars are almost identical. Here in Singapore, a regular 2.0 (170bhp) Tiguan is priced lower than the 1.8 (160bhp) Yeti, and 2.0 Tiguan sport (210 bhp) costs a bit more.

Tiguan may not get a makeover soon. There was a facelift happened in 2011, and with the familiar VW family face, it looks much more handsome now

Note: Replying in the thread specific to Euro Rapid.
OT: Reply specific to the post above. But lets not develop this topic.
The Tiguan is slightly larger than the Yeti. It would therefore, for me, be an upgrade, however slight. Also on account of the VW brand positioning here in India.
A true upgrade really would be the Q3.
Old 21st July 2012, 09:24   #53
Senior - BHPian

OK guys , here is my simple question , will they replace the skoda rapid which was only launched last December with the european rapid ?

I dont see a point in them doing it !

My friend has just booked a Rapid and he is really worried as to whether his car will be taken off the shelf within the next year or something !
Old 21st July 2012, 09:42   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra
OK guys , here is my simple question , will they replace the skoda rapid which was only launched last December with the european rapid ?

I dont see a point in them doing it !

My friend has just booked a Rapid and he is really worried as to whether his car will be taken off the shelf within the next year or something !
Looks like you have a lot of reading to do on this thread
These are 2 different cars.
The Indian rapid is based on the polo sedan concept, whilst the European rapid is a completely different car, based on the Mission L concept.
Rest assured, your friend's booking is secure.

Check out the Mission L, based on which the real "Rapid" is derived.
Attached Thumbnails
European Skoda Rapid Spotted; All new car based on Mission L concept-skodamissionl_concept_2011_photo_01.jpg  

European Skoda Rapid Spotted; All new car based on Mission L concept-skodamissionl_concept_2011_photo_04.jpg  

Old 21st July 2012, 15:57   #55
BHPian

The 2013 Skoda Rapid looks similar to the concept car called VisionD. Though am not sure if we will get to see the 2013 Rapid here in India any time soon.
European Skoda Rapid Spotted; All new car based on Mission L concept-skoda_rapid_2013_19_1280x800.jpg

European Skoda Rapid Spotted; All new car based on Mission L concept-skoda_visiond_concept_2011_04_1280x800.jpg
Old 22nd July 2012, 08:23   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP
The Euro Rapid is being launched in Australia & Carpoint Australia have reviewed the same. Here, is the launch review report:

Skoda Rapid: Launch Review

However, I fear that this car may not be as good handler as the Rapid we have, despite being much bigger & smarter looking. If this is launched as Octavia in India, the brand may loose its mojo.
Very nice report. Thanks for sharing.

You can see clearly from it that in terms of characteristics and general equipment, space and positioning, that the Euro Rapid can slot above the India Rapid and below the Laura. This bears out the AutoBild theory and may well be their plan for less developed markets such as India.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 22nd July 2012 at 08:25.
Old 28th August 2012, 20:52   #57
BHPian

The European RAPID was launched today:

Skoda plant in Czech produces first European Rapid sedan: Paris Motor Show | Rush Lane

The car fits perfectly between the Indian Rapid and the Laura (which is set to be replaced anyway). Here is quick comparison (note that all the dimensions for the Euro Rapid are taken from the article above)

Name:  eurorapid.png
Views: 7890
Size:  6.8 KB
Old 18th September 2012, 20:15   #58
BANNED

Skoda Mission L (European Rapid) not coming to India.

As per the latest thinking within Skoda India, Mission L or the European Rapid will not make it to India the reason being that the European Rapid has a lot of components (different suspension that improves handling. Liftback instead of regular boot, different underpinnings etc) that are not common with the Volkswagen Vento and so it cannot be manufactured along with the Vento. This would not therefore not make it commercially viable to have it manufactured in India as it would need a different assembly line. So as of now, the Mission L is not on the radar of Skoda India.

Source: ACI

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 18th September 2012 at 22:40.
Old 18th September 2012, 21:08   #59
BHPian

Re: Skoda Mission L (European Rapid) not coming to India.

Source of your information Veyron sir? Since AFAIK Skoda India boss has said that this car will be launched later in India as an extension to Rapid brand.

My speculation: Since Octavia brand is all set to return to India and new Octavia is said to be larger and more upmarket w.r.t. current gen Laura, this car may get launched in CKD form in India, getting branded as Laura.

Last edited by sarthakgupta : 18th September 2012 at 21:11.
Old 18th September 2012, 21:42   #60
Team-BHP Support

Re: Skoda Mission L (European Rapid) not coming to India.

Please provide the link from where you got this information. Thread will go back to forum only after that. You can slap the link on your post.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks