Team-BHP - The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/172462-next-gen-bmw-3-series-g20-edit-now-unveiled-4.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by karan561 (Post 4471117)
This is it, here are the 1st official pics of the all new g20 3 series;
Source: Bimmerpost

The car looks beautiful - the side profile the best! Is it longer than the current 3? Looks almost like a 5. And the tail lights remind me of Audi.

Looks nice but lost its individuality to the "family look" trend.

From some angles I have to try hard to differentiate the 3 series from the 5 series. But then the fault is mine, the idea is for them to look similar anyway.

The German luxury trio now complete the family look for their sedans.

All-new BMW 3 Series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt6pSweW7bQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q7H8JUON0s

Source - YouTube

Loved the car, the tech and the weighted center caps on the wheel :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by graaja (Post 4471151)
The car looks beautiful - the side profile the best! Is it longer than the current 3?

85mm longer, 16mm wider, 1mm taller

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiku007 (Post 4471155)
Looks nice but lost its individuality to the "family look" trend.

Can't help but feel its a facelift, though its certainly beyond that under the skin.

There's almost nothing in the looks that excites me. High time BMW paid some more attention to the design aspect - they still seem to be recovering from the conservatism of the post Bangle era.

Quote:

Originally Posted by graaja (Post 4471151)
The car looks beautiful - the side profile the best! Is it longer than the current 3? Looks almost like a 5. And the tail lights remind me of Audi.

It definitely is not only longer, but also bigger in nearly every way. Below figures are as reported by Bimmerpost:

Quote:

• 2.9 inches longer than F30
  • 0.6 inches wider than F30
  • 0.5 inches taller than F30
  • 1.6 inch longer wheelbase than F30
  • 1.7 inches wider front track than F30
  • 0.8 inches wider rear track than F30

Source: Bimmerpost

Detailed walkaround by Autogefuhl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL06bxa379Y

A few observations

Not too impressed with the new 3-series.

The front looks too busy (not as classy as the new 5-series). The side profile looks nice and understated, but is too similar to the outgoing car. The rear reminds me of a Lexus for some reason (is it the tail lights?).

I really liked the new interiors though.

Even though this would probably be the most fun to drive option among the competition, I would still prefer the C-class (facelift) or the A4 over the BMW.

Just my humble opinion. :)

Not a fan of the styling on this one either. The current C-Class has the rest of the German's licked when it comes to looks.

2019 BMW 3 Series Production - BMW Group Plant Munich (GER),

The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-2020bmw3seriesrevealedinstunningphotoshootmorepowerontap129094_1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2BF...ature=youtu.be

Quote:

Originally Posted by volkman10 (Post 4471890)
2019 BMW 3 Series Production - BMW Group Plant Munich (GER),

Nice Video, they have tried to show that maximum manufacturing is Automated and Humans are doing mostly the inspection.

It will interesting to know if they have such sophisticated assembly line here in India as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbanator (Post 4471966)
Nice Video, they have tried to show that maximum manufacturing is Automated and Humans are doing mostly the inspection.

It will interesting to know if they have such sophisticated assembly line here in India as well?

I believe all cars sold in India are painted in Germany. That's why the paint quality is always one of the best in the business.

Found a video about the plant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEbp3UM7bW8

Quote:

Originally Posted by goingout (Post 4472480)
I believe all cars sold in India are painted in Germany. That's why the paint quality is always one of the best in the business.

Thanks for the video, Yes, the panels come painted from the plant, I was curious about the whole assembly setup, like how the Robots are doing the assembly for the chassis with the body.

Do they get everything assembled and just fit the doors and engine/ gearbox?

BMW has unveiled the 2019 BMW 3-Series at the Paris Motor Show. The sedan is expected to go on sale from March 9, 2019.

The new 3-Series measures 4,709 mm long, 1,827 mm wide and 1,442 mm tall. It has a wheelbase of 2,851 mm and a boot space of 480 litres. Dimensionally, it is 85 mm longer, 16 mm wider and 1 mm taller than the outgoing car. The wheelbase has also been lengthened by 41 mm.

The visual changes include a dual tone bumper with T-shaped air vents, wraparound twin-LED headlights, and a conjoined kidney grille with a chrome border. At the back it gets sim L-shaped tail lights and dual exhausts. The 3-Series rides on 19-inch alloy wheels.

On the inside, the car gets a black and silver dashboard, a 3-spoke multifunction steering wheel, dual screens set up with an optional 10.25-inch infotainment unit, acoustic windshield, 40:20:40 split folding rear seats and an optional sunroof. It also comes with a digital assistant, head-up display, digital key and a reversing assistant with 360-degree cameras.

The 3-Series is offered with a choice of one petrol and two diesel engines. The 320i/330i gets a 2.0-litre twin-turbo petrol developing a max power of 181/255 BHP @ 5,000-6,500 rpm and a peak torque of 300/400 Nm. The 318d/320d comes with a 2.0-litre diesel engine with 148/188 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and 320/400 Nm. The sedan will also be offered with a 3.0-litre 6-cylinder diesel unit good for 262 BHP @ 4,000 rpm and a peak torque of 580 Nm, with a claimed 0-100 km/h time of 5.5 seconds. The 320d will get four-wheel-drive as an option.

The company claims a 50:50 weight distribution with a 55 kg reduction in weight over the outgoing model. The rigidity has also been increased by up to 50%, while the coefficient of drag is 0.23. The car gets a host of safety features like active cruise control with stop-go function, steering and lane control assist, cross-traffic alert and wrong way warning systems.

An M Sport variant and a 330e plug-in electric hybrid is also planned to be introduced at a later stage.

The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-p90323680_highres_theallnewbmw3se.jpg

The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-p90323683_highres_theallnewbmw3se.jpg

The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-p90323678_highres_theallnewbmw3se.jpg

The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-p90323681_highres_theallnewbmw3se.jpg

The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-p90323684_highres_theallnewbmw3se.jpg

The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-p90323693_highres_theallnewbmw3se.jpg

Link to the Team-BHP News

Lately been hating the new BMW design language, but man does this look hot! I'm imagining this in black *drools*. If only the 5er looked this good. And if only this came in the 6 cylinders (do they offer it in India? Pardon my ignorance)! Man, that would've made the 5 series irrelevant for enthusiasts.

Lovely interiors to boot, this should be a great success. The C-Class is a beautiful car, very elegant; A4, well quite smart and timeless (and boring) but this...this is absolute brilliance. Time to start saving up!

M340i has to be my next car. I've started saving up already. Hopefully I will be able to get my hands on one in the next year or 2. The rear end seems like a mix of the Lexus IS/ES/GS. The tail light is very similar to the ES/GS and the character line running from the bottom of the front door to the tail light is so Lexus IS. It's not a bad thing though. The IS does have a good looking rear and I do love that character line on the IS.

The interiors I think, have moved the needle and are now the benchmark for the segment. The tech is fantastic too. Hopefully the laser lights will be available as an individual option and they won't make me pay thousands of dollars for some unwanted package. I don't like the DRLs on the standard LED headlamps. They look incomplete.

This might be the last generation of inline 6 engines. I'm convinced that 7 years from now when the next 3 series is launched, the focus will be on electric motors and the good old petrol engines will have taken a back seat. :(