Team-BHP - The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/172462-next-gen-bmw-3-series-g20-edit-now-unveiled-5.html)

A 3l 6 pot diesel in this tiny car will be a riot. That is going to be my pick from the series. The car looks superb.

https://www.motoring.com.au/bmw-3-se...t-axed-114973/

"BMW’s global development chief Klaus Frohlich confirmed the end of the GT to motoring.com.au at the Paris motor show, where the seventh-generation G20 3 Series sedan was unveiled."

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiku007 (Post 4472738)
https://www.motoring.com.au/bmw-3-se...t-axed-114973/

"BMW's global development chief Klaus Frohlich confirmed the end of the GT to motoring.com.au at the Paris motor show, where the seventh-generation G20 3 Series sedan was unveiled."

It is about time. I found the body roll and the floaty ride unacceptable for a BMW sedan. Except for the space, the GT had nothing going for it over the sedan. I am glad BMW is going with their strengths rather than explore alternatives. Probably graaja's car is the only sorted GT. :Clap:

The new 3 looks smashing and am pretty sure not much would have changed with the dynamics and will be a hoot to drive, especially if the bring the 6 cylinder version.

Why does BMW not offer a panoramic sunroof on most of their sedans? Is it due to the roof design or something else ? Expect the side profile to change with the downsize in wheel size for the India spec models.

Love the interior and the overall proportions. But I still cannot make peace with that front end. Those joined kidneys, the diffused headlights is not my idea of a BMW. Why can't BMW keep it tidy like the 1 series or the M2?

Much better than the outgoing car, but I am still not a fan of that front end.
The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-3serieslead.jpg

The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-profile264.jpg

Perhaps the best angle! But the character lines on the shoulder has gone too weak. Those door handles looks like it came off a Merc.
The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-rear34267.jpg

As a young boy, I was totally rooted in the BMW camp. Preferred anything from Bavaria over Stuttgart. But over the last many years, it hasn't been so. Maybe its a sign of aging like they say! :) But BMW surely isn't helping with these designs.

Its an evolution anyways! So, why can't they lock in the E46 as the base template? No 3 series has ever looked as good as that one!

source

Stunning car! Hope the 6 cylinder diesel comes to India- 5.5 seconds to 100kmph is by no means slow! Will make an amazing buy in the second hand market in 3 years!

Besides, the rear taillamps look a bit 'Audi'sh!:eek:

The looks might be getting a mixed opinion, however, what they've done here is create a MASS APPEALING car.

When the new 5 came out, most enthusiasts hated it. It sort of looked a little too bland for a BMW. Nevertheless, it continues to sell pretty well somehow.

The new 3 will probably sell in massive numbers and dominate their respective segment again. Masses are loving this car to bits already.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deetjohn (Post 4472777)
But I still cannot make peace with that front end. Those joined kidneys, the diffused headlights is not my idea of a BMW. Why can't BMW keep it tidy like the 1 series or the M2?

I agree! overall a great looking car, but the front has lost its distinctiveness - the rings are something else now; almost like a different interpretation for what Mercedes has done on the E. And their experiments with the grille is not working very well.

Look's more classier than usual for a BMW. They should have not connected the headlight to the grill. The new Z4 looks stunning even with the wider grill design.

Did someone from Lexus join BMW?

So many swoops and curves and the tail lights. Park a LExus IS next to this and I'm sure there's going to be many wondering the same thing.

It does look good but gone is the German teutonic design. The older one had a little bit of that but this has no straight line.

Quote:

Love the interior and the overall proportions.

If that side profile comparison is a true to scale image, then that increase in size is actually much more than I imagined it to be. I'm sure it's almost an entire size/segment larger than the 3-series from 2-3 generations ago.

Any news when this will land in the Indian Market?

Quote:

Its an evolution anyways! So, why can't they lock in the E46 as the base template? No 3 series has ever looked as good as that one!

I think that the E90 LCI (especially the coupe) was the best looking 3 series. It had perfect proportions and menacing styling.

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 (Post 4473804)
Any news when this will land in the Indian Market?

It's slated to go on sale in March/April in USA, so I would give it a few months after that for an India launch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porcupine (Post 4473539)
If that side profile comparison is a true to scale image, then that increase in size is actually much more than I imagined it to be.

The following is what I saw from Autocar UK.
The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-5sizecompare.jpg

BMW says the extra length is almost entirely dictated by enhanced crash regulations and the styling challenges they in turn have thrown up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by petroguzzler (Post 4473808)
I think that the E90 LCI (especially the coupe) was the best looking 3 series. It had perfect proportions and menacing styling.

It sure looks good. Especially when you compare the 2 generations that followed. :) But my all time favorite is the E46.

source

The G20 3 series configurator is now LIVE. If i had the option to spec. one for myself then this would be it :D

The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-screen-shot-20181012-12.35.55-pm.png

The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-screen-shot-20181012-12.36.06-pm.png

The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-screen-shot-20181012-12.36.12-pm.png

The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-screen-shot-20181012-12.36.17-pm.png

The next-gen BMW 3-Series (G20). EDIT: Now unveiled-screen-shot-20181012-12.38.34-pm.png