Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2016, 08:57   #16
Senior - BHPian

On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the histo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Classy & punchy, well done Mercedes! From their Indian Facebook page:

Attachment 1483784
Agree, really we'll done by Mercedes. Looks like the campaign was tailored around so that BMW will not hog all the limelight during their anniversary celebrations. If we are currently discussing them and not BMW, they have been successful.
Like the above advertisement. They probably picked the best lines and I leave it to each ones imagination as to why the Merc is showing its back.

Last edited by GTO : 10th March 2016 at 09:42. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 10th March 2016, 09:33   #17
BHPian

Re: On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the histo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Agree, really we'll done by Mercedes. Looks like the campaign was tailored around so that BMW will not hog all the limelight during their anniversary celebrations. If we are currently discussing them and not BMW, they have been successful.
Like the above advertisement. They probably picked the best lines and I leave it to each ones imagination as to why the Merc is showing its back.
Very True.... Mercedes has achieved what it set out to - 'To pull the spotlight away from BMW without being labeled a dork. They just wanted to say to the world "Hey, it's a great milestone for BMW, but we got there first." The press release to congratulate BMW is the perfect way to remind the public about who the Boss is, by pointing out that they are 130 years old and their heritage is much greater than BMW's.

Last edited by GTO : 10th March 2016 at 09:43. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 10th March 2016, 09:51   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the history of the automobil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
I remember BMW's ad in 2000 when they took over as engine supplier to Williams on the exit of Renault.
I remember that one! It was classy .

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.r.K View Post
Let BMW have it's 5 mins of fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Looks like the campaign was tailored around so that BMW will not hog all the limelight during their anniversary celebrations.
For their 100th birthday, BMW sure had a lame celebration. All the media got was a 2,000 word document on its history (which no one will read) and a picture of a concept car.

BMW made it too easy for others to grab the limelight. As an example, couldn't they have made a nice emotional video showing the evolution of the brand, some of its best high-revving machines (e.g. M3 CSL) etc.?

Or a 100th birthday website that's fun to interact with, showing its history, heritage, motorsports, performance cars?

This has got to be the saddest 100th birthday party I've ever seen. No emotion, no drama, nothing.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 13:52   #19
BHPian

Re: On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the history of the automobil

Wishing someone success at their anniversary talkin about self achievement is no way classy. Be it the best company on the planet or just an individual, it still sounds lame and kinda desperate. Rather than taking all that in the "right" spirit, if it was just a warm n sincere wish, that would have been classy and truly healthy. Anyways, I say well done BMW, that you got Mercedes to do that. They couldn't help it!
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 14:12   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This has got to be the saddest 100th birthday party I've ever seen. No emotion, no drama, nothing.
Well, it perfectly sums up how both the companies are currently operating.

In the last few years, Mercedes has been aggressive in its approach! From launching fresh new designs and entering new product categories, Mercedes has been extremely proactive. Heck, even their concepts and limited run show cars (6x6 anyone? ) are truly unique. And this aggresiveness I guess is seeping down into its marketing department as well! The new Mercedes will not yield. Not even an inch to its rivals.
Their resurgence from the 'boring old Mercedes' to the young and exciting new Mercedes is truly something to learn from!

BMW on the other hand has been on a downward spiral with uninspiring launches and boring concepts. They've even forsaken their famed rwd identity!
The centenary celebrations could have been a good warcry to inspire the company ranks to turn around and take it in a new direction! But too bad they didn't bother to really do anything!

But all said and done, marketing a personal choice. There is no right and wrong. Attacking a competitor may still yield results. But a brand like Mercedes, especially with the kind of product line up they have need not resort to that! But then again, this is the new Mercedes. We should expect more like this from them!
Old 10th March 2016, 17:55   #21
BHPian

Now Volvo takes a pot shot at ze Germans. Good to see all the major players jumping in the advertisement battles. Photo taken from Car Throttles Facebook page.
Attached Thumbnails
On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the history of the automobile!-fb_img_1457612476534.jpg  

Thebat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 00:13   #22
BHPian

BMW: Its their 100th birthday and they celebrate it like this? Suddenly they are becoming (comparatively) boring like their new FWD cars. Miss the old enthusiasts beemer.
Mercedes: Okay, its not very classy of them to congratulate their old (100 years qualifies as old right?) friend.
Porsche: That sure was classy and friendly. But why pictures of 918 and i8 in concept form? Are they implying this friendliness does not exist in reality, just like the concepts? ;-)
Jaguar: What is their response? Anyone remember the (in)famous Jaguar ad involving a goofy scientist, a chicken and a hungry jaguar?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th March 2016 at 16:06. Reason: Strictly no mention of expletives even indirectly on the forum. Please go by the rules! Thanks.
Old 11th March 2016, 01:52   #23
DWC
BHPian

These ads are all in good faith and humour. It provides an opportunity for the competition to get some facetime with the public as well. Its not like the ads are going to have a drastic effect on their sales. So chill out and have a laugh, they sure are.
DWC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th March 2016, 12:08   #24
BHPian

This is called a healthy and respectful competitors. The Germans are known to be the very well behaved. Hats off.
Old 12th March 2016, 13:17   #25

I am currently working as a Management Consultant and BMW India is my client. I'm advising them on a strategic initiative.

I was in their eNovation centre on the day of BMW's 100th birthday & I was really surprised by the lack on any celebration: There were a few banners, a special celebratory video being played throughout the day & cakes for all. My birthday celebrations are more grand in comparison
Old 13th March 2016, 11:41   #26
BHPian

On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the history of the automobile!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1457849492.123030.jpg

Now that's classy!
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 15:43   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
Attachment 1485187

Now that's classy!
Mercedes thinks last 30 years were boring because of BMW

Lets remind them that about 40 years back in 1975 the 1st gen BMW 3 series (1st gen) rolled out & since then its giving a tough time to its Merc equivalent the C Class.

On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the history of the automobile!-maxresdefault.jpg

Also another reminder is that about 1984 (about 30 years back) the M5 was introduced & since then M5 is a true performance machine in its segment and is nothing close to BORING (in terms of competing with M5) when it comes to beating the M5;

On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the history of the automobile!-bmwm5e282_3265563a.jpg

In 1983 BMW 1st time introduced the 'diesel' in the 5'er.
The diesel engines known that time were regarded as loud and not very sporty.
But with the BMW 524td the first diesel model to be manufactured under the brand and it was the world‟s most powerful vehicle of its type. This car became the trailblazer for a new, particularly efficient form of driving pleasure.

On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the history of the automobile!-images.jpeg

Since then BMW have developed their diesels and today they have made tri turbo diesels (M550d) too which is a benchmark & not really sure if Merc has done a similar ultra high performance diesel.

BMW M Brand;

Name:  250pxBmw_M_logo.png
Views: 1027
Size:  20.1 KB

Founded in 1972 & till date its giving tough competition to AMG
So i don't know whats BORING Merc ?

Cars like the legendary BMW 1M;

On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the history of the automobile!-2011bmw1seriesmcoupetestreviewcaranddriverphoto396361s450x274.jpg

^ I don't think Merc has an equivalent of this.

And the BMW i range like the i8;

On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the history of the automobile!-122015bmwi8fd1.jpg

^ What ? Is this boring competition Mercedes ?

PS - There are many such examples where both these brands have excelled in delivering true luxury and performance for the industry. I have tremendous respect for Mercedes brand too, but with these new age media ads mocking BMW and saying last 30 years was "BORING' by BMW is simply not acceptable !

Last edited by karan561 : 13th March 2016 at 15:46.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 15:55   #28
BHPian

On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the histo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Mercedes thinks last 30 years were boring because of BMW

Karan, I think you didn't understand the message mate. They meant the 30 years before BMW started operations were boring!
I know you love BMW but the guys at Mercedes were just being nice to them, not insulting them! :P
Suraj25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 15:59   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the histo...

Hi Suraj,

BMW was founded in 1916 whereas Mercedes was founded in 1926.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
They meant the 30 years before BMW started operations were boring!
^ So how does that make sense ?

Quote:
I know you love BMW but the guys at Mercedes were just being nice to them, not insulting them! :P
Which means they are mocking BMW, Simple

Last edited by karan561 : 13th March 2016 at 16:17.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 16:18   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
BMW was founded in 1916 whereas Mercedes was founded in 1926.
So how does that make sense ?

Which means they are mocking BMW, Simple
My bad, I misunderstood the message thinking Merc started before BMW

I'm on your side. They are mocking BMW but they make more boring(to drive) cars compared to them.
Suraj25 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks