Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2016, 16:25   #31
BHPian

Re: On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the histo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
BMW was founded in 1916 whereas Mercedes was founded in 1926.

^ So how does that make sense ?

Which means they are mocking BMW, Simple
The mocking is still true but since they have a history to talk about since 1886 by Karl Benz (though Mercedes Benz was only from 1926), they could brag. This one is put in a much better way than the earlier one calling self a leader showing the rear end of their car.

Previous 30 years would be 1886 - 1916.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 13th March 2016 at 16:30. Reason: Added info.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 16:28   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
My bad, I misunderstood the message thinking Merc started before BMW.

Actually you were right. While the Mercedes Benz brand was first used in 1926, the company traces its roots to Karl Benz's "patent motor wagon" from 1886. The Mercedes brand was first used in a Daimler vehicle in 1901. The Daimler and Benz organisations merged in 1926, but they obviously claim to descend from the inventor of the automobile.
Hayek is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2016, 17:02   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the history of the automobil

Its clear mocking guys, even the world media thinks its a direct mockery, here are a few links;

Mercedes-Benz Wishes BMW Happy Centennial, Can't Help Poke the Bavarians;

Read more: http://www.autoevolution.com/news/me...#ixzz42mWjow2o

Mercedes Stays Cheeky While Wishing BMW Happy Birthday;

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/mer...shing-bmw.html

Quote:
Only that is absolutely impossible to do in the world of advertising, so it just had to include a tiny little sting into the message.
Quote:
"The previous 30 years were actually a bit boring." Auch. Rubbing it in somebody's face on its anniversary day is cruel - it's what a spoiled little girl would do to make sure everybody knows she's the leader of the pack."
Old 13th March 2016, 17:07   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the history of the automobil

Overall the automobile industry as a whole has grown out of collaboration with various metallurgy firms, part making industries and via in-house R&D. This maybe the gasolene engine of Mercedes, the production line manufacturing system of Ford or the RWD production passenger car by BMW or even their obsession with 50-50 weight distribution for every car which greatly enhances grip, balance and handling, concepts that the immediate competition are only now understanding as important or even essential.

There's a reason why I consider Mercedes and BMW as the big two,purely because only these two manufacturers have the most number of automobile inventions without any acquisitions made. VW in comparison grew by incorporating pre-90s tech from these companies and also by subsequent acquisitions of Porsche, a then tank maker, Audi, Skoda, Seat etc.

Heritage wise BMW is just as important as Rolls-Royce, both of them worked on powering aviation engines afterall. Mercedes can be credited for making cars the safe machines they're today, with concepts such as airbags and belt pretensioners, ABS (with Bosch collaboration) etc. Overall both companies cater to mostly, different needs. Mercedes usually suits the individual in a suit who would like to be driven around undisturbed and in sheer comfort. BMWs are for the people who like some disturbance, an earthy feelsome driving experience so to speak. Not a hard and fast rule though as there are always exceptions like the AMG badge of Mercedes and the 7 Series Bimmer/Rolls-Royce. I think both companies fear each other and consider themselves a great competitor whatever may be the past. Angela Merkel though, would be loving both equally.
dark.knight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 15:46   #35
BHPian

Old 4th April 2016, 17:08   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: On BMW's 100th Birthday, Mercedes invites BMW employees to discover the histo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
The mocking is still true but since they have a history to talk about since 1886 by Karl Benz (though Mercedes Benz was only from 1926), they could brag. This one is put in a much better way than the earlier one calling self a leader showing the rear end of their car.

Previous 30 years would be 1886 - 1916.
Yes, this ad is still better than the one where they are calling themselves self proclaimed leaders

PS - Apology for delayed response as i skipped seeing your post
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 18:50   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post

Heritage wise BMW is just as important as Rolls-Royce, both of them worked Mercedes can be credited for making cars the safe machines they're today, with concepts such as airbags and belt pretensioners, ABS (with Bosch collaboration) y.

That statement is factually incorrect. Check the original patents and who built on those patents and you will find a few automotive companies, but not Mercedes. Or at least not for the first few decades these innovations were patented and used by others, e.g. Ford and Volvo.

I would not consider Mercedes to be a front runner and innovator when it comes to safety at all. Slow follower and poor imitator springs to mind though

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2016, 21:05   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Check the original patents and who built on those patents and you will find a few automotive companies, but not Mercedes.
I would not consider Mercedes to be a front runner and innovator when it comes to safety at all. Slow follower and poor imitator springs to mind though
Yes that is indeed correct, I'm aware that Ford & Volvo have a significant past in terms of innovations in the automobile industry. I guess I didn't make it clear as I rushed through the post that Mercedes used airbags & belt-tensioners as a combination to make the car safer in 1981 if I'm not mistaken. Airbags were indeed used in Ford & G.M about a decade earlier but they fitted airbags as a single line of protection, i.e for people who didn't use seatbelts, assuming of course that the cushioning effect would save them from the steering wheel if not the seat-belts. I guess over time they discovered that the bags when inflated can punch the lights out of the driver and that a primary restraint is indeed necessary. I'm still not sure if Mercedes were involved in that research or not.

Also if I'm not wrong MB did patent quite a few safety related stuff like door locks, crumple zones, roof-reinforcements among many more. Much of it though I agree that they've adopted from innovations from car parts-makers & R&D by the industry overall.

Coming back to the thread topic this is what BMW has manufactured as a concept for their 100 years completion. Design is questionable but super high-tech nonetheless.

Old 11th May 2016, 23:04   #39
BHPian

100 years of BMW - Autocar show features Sachin Tendulkar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks