Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2019, 00:07   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2019 Toyota Supra! Now unveiled

The new Supra's exterior is good but needs a big spoiler to ' up ' the desirability quotient

BUT the interior is extremely disappointing & very similar to the BMW

Last edited by karan561 : 15th January 2019 at 00:14. Reason: Typo !
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 02:04   #32
BHPian

Feels like I owe every DC Design vehicle an apology.
speed kills is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 07:38   #33
Senior - BHPian

The design is really busy if we look at the details, but overall it works somehow. I quite like it! The tail is more Dodge viper than Supra though.

With BMW underpinnings, this should drive really well too. No qualms about the interior being lifted from the Z4. BMW always does clean interior, whereas Toyota goes a bit quirky on the inside.

I quite see this one being a successful sequel to the GT-86 story!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 09:23   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

2020 Toyota Supra vs. 2019 BMW Z4: It is all about horsepower.

The 2019 Toyota Supra! Now unveiled-s1.jpg

Quote:
Powertrain and performance :While the Z4 is available with a less-powerful turbocharged inline-four, the two cars' inline-six engines are extremely similar — both are 3.0 liters and offer more than 300 horsepower. However, the BMW version of this BMW engine makes 382 horsepower, while the Toyota-tuned version produces only 335 horses

Both cars sport eight-speed automatic transmissions as the only option (wipes tear) and rear-wheel drive. Top speed is limited to 155 mph in both. The Mk. IV Supra was limited to the same number, though Toyota hinted it could top 180 mph.

Suspension and chassis:Up front, both have a double-joint spring strut design, and the rear has a multi-link setup. Toyota makes adaptive shocks standard, whereas BMW only makes it standard if you get the I6.

Wheelbase is identical to the tenth of an inch. Both measure in at 97.2 inches. Track width in front and back are identical in the Z4 M40i and Supra, too. The Supra measures in a couple inches longer than the Z4, but the width and height difference will be nearly impossible to tell to the naked eye.

Price:

Toyota is slapping a $50,920 starting price on the Supra, while the Z4 with the equivalent I6 starts at $64,695. That's a sizable difference for the more luxurious BMW, but we still aren't overlooking the rather high price for the Toyota, too. Just upon visual inspection, the BMW has better materials on the interior. There's plenty of metal trim visible where the Supra uses black plastic instead. The BMW comes standard with a 10.25-inch center screen, but the Supra only has a 6.5-inch display. An 8.8-inch one gets tacked onto the more expensive Supra. Another BMW exclusive is its trick backup assistant that will automatically back the car up 150 feet from where you last parked the car. So it's not a whole lot, but the BMW does offer a more premium experience for its price.
The 2019 Toyota Supra! Now unveiled-s3.jpg
The 2019 Toyota Supra! Now unveiled-s2.jpg
The 2019 Toyota Supra! Now unveiled-s4.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th January 2019 at 09:24.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2019, 20:33   #35
BHPian

Help TOYOTA build volumes and then the '2JZ successor', if I dare call it, will be released.

I can assure you that the 463 Kilowatt engine from the factory, will not disappoint.
We have been testing 'goshis' with this engine from late 2017. It will also do its duty under the 'F'.
The initial batch, is primarily for Brand resurrection and awareness and this helps us lead and spread the word.
I am unable to attach .mp4 files.

Last edited by CaliforniaKnight : 15th January 2019 at 20:35.
Old 16th January 2019, 11:38   #36
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2019 Toyota Supra! Now unveiled

First look video -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 12:11   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

HAIL Toyota.

They partner with Subaru for the GT-86/BRZ and BMW for the Supra/Z4. These are partnerships that I like.

As for the looks, I think the internet is divided. It may be busy and the interiors scream BMW but then it's not a bad thing at all. Wait till you see souped-up/riced Supras
Old 16th January 2019, 16:06   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Hope you guys are aware that this 2019 Toyota Supra is launched without a 'Manual Transmission' option, hence its getting a lot of negative flak from the purist Supra enthusiasts because its only available as an Automatic.

Also reminds me of this meme;

Name:  toyotasupraforsaleautomaticcabroworld36817790.png
Views: 2304
Size:  179.6 KB

Even Paul Walker would disapprove this Supra
karan561 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 17:21   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
The new Supra's exterior is good but needs a big spoiler to ' up ' the desirability quotient

BUT the interior is extremely disappointing & very similar to the BMW
I think you are the only person in the world I’ve seen complaining about a Toyota interior being like a BMWs. Isn’t that supposed to be a good thing? Would you like to be fiddling about with the Lexus track pad instead of operating the slick iDrive?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th January 2019 at 17:58. Reason: Removing unwanted spacing.
nakul0888 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 22:04   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
I think you are the only person in the world I’ve seen complaining about a Toyota interior being like a BMWs. Isn’t that supposed to be a good thing? Would you like to be fiddling about with the Lexus track pad instead of operating the slick iDrive?
iDrive is intuitive no doubt, but still the effort for this Supra / Z4 project seems to be more ' badge engineering ' than ' joint development '

I honestly think the Toyota 'side' of the car needed to be an all new car (or given another name) not the Supra.

In the meanwhile have a look at the old gen Supra's interiors;

The 2019 Toyota Supra! Now unveiled-1979toyotasupra14.jpg
karan561 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th January 2019, 22:24   #41
BHPian

Honestly, I am a bit disappointed with the new iteration of the Supra. Toyota designers have ditched the smooth, minimalistic and timeless design with one that shouts 'Look at me!' from any angle and with an excessive amount of curves. This just doesn't deserve the legendary badge

Let's hope though, that we get it soon. As a market, Indians will pay for exclusivity and exotic-ness, as has been demonstrated in the successful runs of various sportscars like the Mustang and the Z4. Toyota?
porsche_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2019, 08:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

BMW Supra!

The new Supra is more BMW than Toyota. From the photos of the insides the interiors are pure BMW - the shifter including BMW type Park switch, the buttons on the dashboard, the display on top of dashboard, the look of steering wheel and the buttons on it etc.. The interiors are a far far removed from what one expects of a Toyota sports car.

Now apart from that a short web search gave more details into other BMW bits on the car - the suspension components are BMW, the brake caliper is from one of the M models, the windscreen is also from an M model. The engine is obviously from the BMW lineup and not Toyota, and the transmission also.

This makes me wonder why the carworld is even celebrating the new Supra? Its just a new Z4.
Old 18th January 2019, 19:09   #43
Team-BHP Support

Well, it's the new Supra and it's more German than Japanese. Not necessarily a bad thing especially because the interior won't be merely functional and plasticy.

I have to say, the design is a bit of a departure from the concept. The proportions are way off! Much like the Z4 concept and the production Z4 that followed suit.

It would have been nice if Toyota was involved in the styling of the interior and had retained at least hints of the old-gen Supra's wrap-around cockpit.

And is it true that the 3 litre straight-six in this car is detuned and that it does not make the same power as the Z4?

The most infuriating thing about the new Supra has to be the fake intakes and vents. There are about 10 of them scattered across the bodywork! Let's hope Toyota will open them up and make them functional for the sportier model that will inevitably make its way to production down the line.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 18th January 2019 at 19:11.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2019, 10:46   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

First Production 2020 Toyota Supra sold for $ 2.1M at auction - comes with a one-of-one color combination right off the assembly line.

The 2019 Toyota Supra! Now unveiled-1.jpg

Quote:
The first production model of the A90 Supra was sold at the Barrett-Jackson charity auction in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Quote:
The winning bidder owns the rights to the first production Toyota Supra, which also happens to be the first version of the iconic sports coupe in the U.S. and bears VIN 20201 – "2020" stands for the year the GR Supra was reintroduced, while "1" marks its place as the first model out of the production line.

It also comes with a one-of-one color combination, integrating matte gray exterior, red mirror caps, and matte black wheels. Inside, it will have a red and black theme plus carbon fiber inserts to go with its compelling exterior design.
Quote:
Aside from the exclusive color theme, the first production Supra comes with an engine cover signed by Toyota CEO Akio Toyoda. The winning bidder also receives a full VIP race track experience, which includes a fully customized professional racing suit, two VIP passes and hot passes to TOYOTA OWNERS 400 - Richmond Raceway, and a chance to drive the pace car with Michael Waltrip
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th January 2019 at 10:47.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 13:06   #45
BHPian

Check out this render of a more retro looking Supra, with the styling based on the Mk4 Supra, compared with the actual production model below.

The 2019 Toyota Supra! Now unveiled-supra_edit_2.jpgThe 2019 Toyota Supra! Now unveiled-toyotagrsuprapro72.jpg

I know that looks are subjective, but IMO the render looks a lot better!

Source

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 22nd January 2019 at 13:26.
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks