Team-BHP - 2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/211230-2020-hyundai-verna-facelift-spotted-china-6.html)

The rear design is just terrible. I can't believe that the design has deteriorated this much from one generation to the very next. IMO, the present day Verna's rear looks very pleasing to the eyes. Happy that I bought the current model (NextGen Verna 2017).

2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China-psx_20171029_190057.jpg

Hyundai design is going through a sinusoidal wave. And clearly this iteration is at the bottom one. They are trying to be funky and futuristic for exteriors however it is turning out to be weird and dare I say a mod job gone bad at an enthusiastic modifier!! :Frustrati
There is no improvement in interiors and they simply pale in comparison to exteriors.
Hyundai please re visit your beautiful designs and take inspiration to improve and not destroy.
Attaching some pics from a TBHP ownership thread for Fluidic Elantra. IMO this is the best exterior design till now among the Hyundai stable.

2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China-20190905_143716.png

2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China-20190905_143905.png

2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China-20190905_144057.png

Quote:

Originally Posted by PraNeel (Post 4651906)
Attaching some pics from a TBHP ownership thread for Fluidic Elantra. IMO this is the best exterior design till now among the Hyundai stable.

While I completely agree with you, let's also remember that design is a point of view. I loved the fluidic sculpture design but just about everyone from the Bauhaus (aka plain, square and bland, Germanic) movement bashed it for "ageing" too fast, whatever that meant, and not being timeless enough. Again these are my views and I would be deemed wrong by others. Nonetheless, the fluidic design made Hyundai what it is and made them stand out in a sea of everyday cars.

The 2.0 rendition made Hyundai appeal to a wider audience, since most of the designs were please-all-offend-none types, eg. Grand i10, Elite i20, present Verna & Elantra. Peter Schreyer, possibly the greatest designer of all time played a deep role in that.

Now with the change in designer (Simon Loasby who was in charge of Bentley design, VW China design), I think the way design will be, going forward - a bit unpredictable, a bit over-done and is going to bear some Chinese tastes on them (I hope that is not going to be the case globally). The days of beautiful, curvy Hyundai cars are over, lets now prepare for sharp-edged, diamond-cut abominations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dark.knight (Post 4652260)
I loved the fluidic sculpture design but just about everyone from the Bauhaus (aka plain, square and bland, Germanic) movement bashed it for "ageing" too fast, whatever that meant, and not being timeless enough. Again these are my views and I would be deemed wrong by others. Nonetheless, the fluidic design made Hyundai what it is and made them stand out in a sea of everyday cars.

I think that is true to a great extent. Simple designs or straight lines age way better than a curvy design. Case in point would be a Lancer or a 1st generation Honda City. I still have a second look when I see those cars. Elantra and Verna have also got my second looks, but that was for a limited period of time. So it seems like the newer curvy designs are like the new film songs which become viral in an instant, but will not remain in the hearts of people for a long time.

More on the Verna as unveiled in China:

2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China-3.jpg

2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China-4.jpg

2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China-5.jpg

2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China-0.jpg

2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China-6.jpg

2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China-7.jpg

2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China-8.jpg

2020 Hyundai Verna facelift spotted in China-9.jpg

Link

Oh Hyundai, why would you do that ? While we are still recovering from the shock that the new Creta in china gave it this would be just a horrible dream.

Cant believe its from the same stable which used to roll out best designs like the i20, Verna (previous generation), Elantra , or any other car in their stable. The newer versions (coming from German RnDs?) were specially so pleasing on the eyes. What suddenly went wrong ? I hope these designs never make it to indian shores.

Just give it a proper rear bumper already, Hyundai!

Its as if the designers dint know if a rear bumper is essential or not.

It seems the rear bumper is too busy,more like Transformers(i.e The movie).IMO Elantra like bumper would have made this facelift more applealing.Will this facelift be carried over to the indian market as well?

The front definitely has too many design lines and cuts/ creases but might grow on people with time as being an aggressive design but the rear is a let down for me personally. I hope Hyundai India works on the rear design and also bring the 1.4 GDI to us. Am really enjoying the company of my 1.6 L petrol for now and attaching a pic I just took day before yesterday.

There looks to be something wrong with Hyundai's designs these days.

First, the highly ugly ix25 (creta), and then this!

The front is more or less fine, but that rear!

It looks like a yatch has reversed into the back of an industrial vacuum cleaner.

Now that's one ugly looking car. Hyundai designers have lost it a bit off late. They should go back to the fluidic design language which has worked well for them so far.

What has happened to Hyundai's designers these days!
I think this is something to do with the Chinese market as it's the largest in the world, every manufacturer is making cars according to their taste and preferences. Even BMW said that they increased the size of the 'kidney grille' because the Chinese like bold grilles.
I hope Hyundai makes the necessary changes while bringing these models to India.

The current gen Verna is a very very handsome car. Not sure what Hyundai were trying to achieve with the new design. Anyway, design is something that eventually grows on some of us. Maybe the car might look a bit better in person. Pics don't always do justice.

The front and the rear, one can live with since you won't see it while driving, but what's with that "floating" screen. Looks like a cheap aftermarket screen fitted on the AC vents! One will have to look at it and live with it every single moment of owning the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVN (Post 4653620)
The current gen Verna is a very very handsome car. Not sure what Hyundai were trying to achieve with the new design. Anyway, design is something that eventually grows on some of us. Maybe the car might look a bit better in person. Pics don't always do justice.

Hyundai did the same thing with last two generations of Verna also. Compare the photos of the versions before and after the facelift. Nice way to ensure that the next generation model looks better the previous one :Frustrati