Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2020, 14:12   #16
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Ford EcoSport coming in 2021

This design is a combination of Ford Edge,Kuga and Explorer and it's eye pleasing which will attract lot of attention. The size has also grown from sub 4m to > 4m category. Ford needed a car in 15-25 lakh space and I feel they'll be moving the EcoSport up in the ladder. Rather they can keep the existing EcoSport and bring it with 4WD and bring the Edge/Kuga to fight in the 15-25L space.
Old 8th January 2020, 14:46   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I have 2 words to ford if that's going to be the next gen EcoSport - "No, thanks!"

The freestyle looks better than this design.

Last edited by PrasannaDhana : 8th January 2020 at 14:47.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 14:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisvellara View Post
The Edge looks really handsome here and I see how the new EcoSport has taken inspiration from it but the EcoSport's front end looks quite weird to me. The way the headlamps blend into the grille feels like a disfigured curve, as opposed to the smoother integration on the Edge.

The front end reminded me of the first-gen Mahindra e2O. Link

Absolutely love the rear though.
It is just a rendering by some popular magazine in Brazil I believe. So don't take it too seriously on the finer elements. All that we know now is that the next-gen Ecosport would have softer looking cross-over like appearance, and styling inspired by the Explorer.
aravind.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th January 2020, 15:07   #19
BHPian

My comments on the design have already been hijacked.

Thinking of the shortcomings of the existing model and what it could be - the concept I feel is quite decent.

Maybe for a Ford, I do not expect very brave design language like that of a Seltos, or an Altroz maybe Hector as well.

We need that to be a bit conservative and classy at the same time. Look at Ford Figo for now, and look the Escape or Kuga - or may the current Ecosport.

In those lines, this is all good. Only thing is to ensure that the car is way better than mere upgrades - have better cabin space, ride quality and easily seat 5.

I presume - this might be something that would come out of a Mahindra factory?
Old 8th January 2020, 15:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Sadly all Ecosport aka mini SUV DNA is lost completely. No way this looks sporty anymore which is really bad.

This new car looks more like a big hatch like S-cross, nothing sporty here. Why change design completely which is liked by mass people in the market? Surely this will not sell much in Indian market, I bet.

Last edited by aniketi : 8th January 2020 at 15:27.
Old 8th January 2020, 15:35   #21
BHPian

The existing generation was highly criticized by global reviewers for the poor 'unlike Ford' handling and also poor stability on highways. The Ecosport also had toppling issues and had struggled in the moose tests.

This new generation has grown in width but now the height is lesser. thereby reducing the center of gravity. This will allow Ford to address the major negatives of the Ecosport in the global markets. It may no longer look the butch SUV but it will turn out be a great handler.
Old 8th January 2020, 16:00   #22
Team-BHP Support

Minority opinion, please move the spare wheel into the boot for the Indian version. A little less macho and a lot more practical will be appreciated.
Old 8th January 2020, 17:09   #23
BHPian

Been waiting for such a well proportioned car from Ford since the first gen Fiesta. Being a Ford loyal, i will the first one to book, if it comes in the same avathar with the 4 pot diesel
Old 9th January 2020, 04:51   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Minority opinion, please move the spare wheel into the boot for the Indian version. A little less macho and a lot more practical will be appreciated.
Surely its a minority opinion in India. Many including me consider Spare wheel on tailgate= SUV. I was all the most disappointed when Safari Storme moved the Spare wheel to underbody.

On second thoughts what if the spare wheel on current Ecosport (and Safari) be moved to boot or underbody and replace the void created on tailgate by same size and shape lockable box, same as custom pannier on cruiser bikes. It will make using the spare wheel less stressful, reduce the weight on tailgate, add to the practicality by having some space to store stuff say 5kg and also retain the 'SUV' look.

People in India are stuck with the particular design language of car for identifying it and making it popular.

Sweptback headlamps & tail lamps, glass area stuck on a rounded open top race car, squat stance hatchback = Swift(all 3 generations)

Large grille, flat bonnet, tailgate mounted sparewheel, sub 4m crossover = Ecosport.

Any radical change in design language as per images/renderings of posted here of the Ecosport will make it a case of lost identity.

Some examples IMO are:
Zen to Zen Estilo
Safari to Safari Storme
Duster to Captur ( not particularly the second generation Duster but it was the successor when people were expecting one. )
Old 9th January 2020, 07:08   #25
BHPian

What mustang design.. looks like an overgrown baleno

So Brezza remains the only boxy C-SUV in its class.. just wondering, why would anyone go with this when you have the Nexon with more aggresive styling in the similar shape, a home grown product, with relatively cheap ASS, competent engines and guarantee that they will exist in this market..

I think much of Ecosport's succes was riding on the form factor, not any more

Last edited by charanreddy : 9th January 2020 at 07:09.
Old 9th January 2020, 11:51   #26
BHPian

I think the new design is more mature and practical. The current generation though good and desirable is still a pseudo SUV.

The new design creates an impression of:
* More roomy interiors
* Better all round visibility
* Could have even better driving dynamics (still the segment best)

I hope to see it continue with the superb engine and gearbox combination. It should have good number of takers assuming it maintains its build quality.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 10th January 2020 at 01:36. Reason: Fixed typos.
Old 9th January 2020, 23:22   #27
BHPian

I'm not sure if Ford realize that one of the major reason for EscoSport's success is the rear spare wheel. It gives it the much needed macho looks. As others mentioned, the new looks are good for a compact SUV but not for "The EcoSport". It will lose it's one of the USP.
Old 11th January 2020, 20:09   #28
BHPian

I have one question. Given that ford has passed the mantle to Mahindra, will this ecosport come to India? Or will they develop another ford badged SUV on Mahindra's platform?

Regarding inspiration, I think it looks like the new-gen explorer/edge as some of you pointed out. I guess the crossover design has become so generic that many of them have started to look similar now.

Last edited by dragracer567 : 11th January 2020 at 20:12. Reason: Addition details and typo
Old 16th April 2020, 19:52   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Next Gen EcoSport in the guise of FORD KA in camouflage spotted testing in Brazil. Coming in the first half of 2022.

Next-gen Ford EcoSport coming in 2021-12.png

Quote:
As we have determined, this is not another version of the hatch, but preparations for the new generation of EcoSport
Quote:
Known as the BX755, the new compact SUV will be a worldwide launch, planned for the 2022 line. He appears using ka as a "mule" of a new global project, which will have production in Brazil, India, China and Europe.
Quote:
The Ecosport should lose in height and distance from the ground compared to the current version, but earn a lot in internal space and, finally, provide a place for the spare wheel below the trunk
Quote:
Wheelbase is a little larger and that the front and rear gauges are too big to be in a Ford Ka. The larger and enlarged fenders and 18" wheels with mixed-use tires report it as a larger car in the body of another smaller one.
Quote:
The information gathered realizes that underneath this Ka, there is much of the new SUV - such as axles and suspension components. The mule also walks with a ballast of a few kilos in the back, under the seat and in the trunk, to try to simulate part of the body addition that the components will face in the next stage, with the body work complete
Quote:
The BX755 will also bring the world a 3-cylinder 1.5 turbo engine, retiring the 176 hp Duratec 2.0, which is still used in the Storm version of the EcoSport - the only one to offer AWD traction
Quote:
it will also come with digital panel system, wireless connection possibilities, semi-autonomous driving system (such as that of Ford Ranger Limited), blind spot alerts and autonomous emergency braking

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2020, 08:23   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Next Gen Ford EcoSport : With Bronco style, will it succeed?

Next-gen Ford EcoSport coming in 2021-fordoffroadsuv2.jpg

Quote:
With more style, internal space and trunk than the current subcompact SUV, this little one of the Bronco family would have everything to be successful here in the US, India and China.

Ford will hardly sell the Puma in the states, leaving this new product dominating in this size range, slightly above the 4.18 m european. What about the name? EcoSport is a well-known denomination worldwide, including in the USA
Quote:
Manufactured in Camaçari-BA, this growing EcoSport could still have AWD system, as the current one, as well as the current mechanics, although the EcoBoost 1.0 with up to 155 horses is used in Europe.

It wouldn't take much for the 4.27 m model to quickly attract new buyers to Ford.
Quote:
From what is seen with Bronco Sport (its repercussion in Brazil was very good), an EcoSport with this same footprint and a more affordable price, would yield a lot for the American brand here and the consumer would have another interesting option in the domestic market
In India, its platform would be Mahindra, perhaps with an increase in size.

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th July 2020 at 08:24.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks