Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2007, 12:45   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jango View Post
Mini leave it alone mate, its a class car, just as u said may be some pillars make look alike with the swift but its totally different from the Swift or rather the other way around
I don't want to repeat this again and again but don't you think swift and fabia are uncomfortably similar in "design" if NOT in "styling".
Old 8th March 2007, 15:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The first type of copying or Intellectual Property sharing is due to a legal understanding between 2 or more companies about sharing a model under respective brandings. You forgot to include in your examples the Opel Agila/Suzuki WagonR, Suzuki SX4/Fiat Sedici ...

As far as the Chinese copies go, its mandated under Chinese govt law that foreign manufacturers must tie-up with local companies and do a knowledge transfer whether they like it or not. There's nothing just and democratic abt that, I can assure you. Sooner than they can bat their eyelids, these foreign mfrs find there's a new venture started by their Chinese partner and curiously they're selling a "brand new car" that looks mysteriously like their own. All this and without R&D too!
This is the same principle the Indian government enforces for anyone planning to supply fighter jets to Indian defence.
Old 8th March 2007, 17:53   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
As far as the Chinese copies go, its mandated under Chinese govt law that foreign manufacturers must tie-up with local companies and do a knowledge transfer whether they like it or not. There's nothing just and democratic abt that, I can assure you. Sooner than they can bat their eyelids, these foreign mfrs find there's a new venture started by their Chinese partner and curiously they're selling a "brand new car" that looks mysteriously like their own. All this and without R&D too!
I don't know about automobile sector in China but this rule is not applicable to entire Chinese industry.

The main problem in China is lack of laws to respect intellectual property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalilPawar
I AM NOT SAYING THAT CHINESE ARE DOING THE RIGHT THING BY COPYING... THEY DESERVE TO BE PUNISHED..
Why punish? Unless they are not doing legally wrong in China there is no reason to punish them.
Old 8th March 2007, 23:49   #19
BHPian

salilpawar I agree with you why to penalise small Chinese car makers?So many big groups copy their rival too.You know developping a body takes time and cost a lot so it is easier to take inspiration from existing cars.I am sure in 5 years or less Chinese car industry will be more about designing everything by themselves.One day they could become the benchmark
Old 9th March 2007, 08:47   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Huh.. Grande Punto grille is widely acknowledged to be a bit like the Maserati style grille.. Maserati is owned by Fiat anyway.

Are you saying that, Giorgetto Guigiaro, the Grande Punto designer, is a copycat !!

Check the front end of the Punto Abarth. The grille design is lifted from Audi....I am not talking about the normal Punto grille. That settles the argument........ My deep respects for Guigiaro and I am sure that he has not designed the Grille for the Punto Abarth.

P.S. I never make baseless comments which are without proper proof and evidence.

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 9th March 2007 at 08:54.
Old 9th March 2007, 10:32   #21
Senior - BHPian

There are varying degrees to which 'copying' can occur of which the Chinese one is the most irritating. That is why, like it or not, they are 'soft' targets.

P.S. Why are you so worked up?
Old 9th March 2007, 11:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Check the front end of the Punto Abarth. The grille design is lifted from Audi....I am not talking about the normal Punto grille. That settles the argument........ My deep respects for Guigiaro and I am sure that he has not designed the Grille for the Punto Abarth.

P.S. I never make baseless comments which are without proper proof and evidence.
The Abarth has a similar grille as the normal Grande Punto.. Its just a coincidence that the paint job on the bumper (including wire mesh which is normally black) on the bumper matches with grille. And it could just be a custom paint job..

AutoCult Blog - Fiat Grande Punto Abarth Concept Preview
Old 9th March 2007, 12:27   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
There are varying degrees to which 'copying' can occur of which the Chinese one is the most irritating. That is why, like it or not, they are 'soft' targets.
I would like to compare this situation to an examination in which Chinese are the like type of students who copy the whole paper from someone. While other car makers are like the type of students who copy one or two answers from here and there.....

But the bottomline is that both are GUILTY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
P.S. Why are you so worked up?
I'll reserve my comment on that...

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 9th March 2007 at 12:30.
Old 9th March 2007, 14:48   #24
Senior - BHPian

[quote=salilpawar1;388085]I w.....

But the bottomline is that both are GUILTY.[/quote

No doubt. However, in this case the exam is an art exam. And if that is the case, and it is your art being copied, whom will you be more angry with? If the Chinese were not pulling a fast one everywhere, we would have been sitting down and lambasting the worthies you have given examples of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
I'll reserve my comment on that...
I will not even try and guess why.
Old 9th March 2007, 15:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Some pics:

Chevrolet Spark and Chery QQ

SMA Shanghai Maple and Audi S4 Cabrio

Shuanghuan Laibao SR-V and Honda CR-V

CMEC City Smart and DaimlerChrysler Smart Car

Geely Merie and Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Hongqi HQD and Rolls-Royce Phantom

Shuanghuan Auto Ceo and BMW X5

This Post source + more details:
Chinese rip-offs of Western automakers - AutoMotoPortal.com
Old 9th March 2007, 15:40   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Rahul. And that link says it all. Rip-off is the word.
Old 9th March 2007, 16:09   #27
Senior - BHPian

Dont they do a good job at copying?

What about the engines and other stuff???
Old 9th March 2007, 16:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Rahul - I think that is too close for comfort!

Salil - I didn't have these pics with me but if you compare & look at it now all the other stuff is not even worth mentioning considering what the Chinese are doing! I mean look at the Smart, Matiz, Audi, CR-V & C-Class, that is too much close to the final product.

I guess now you can udnerstand the difference between "Inspiration or Inspired by" and "Blatant Rip-Off".
Old 9th March 2007, 17:09   #29
BHPian

I know almost each of the rip-offs posted by Rahul. Thanks, Rahul.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am posting these again........ Now isn't this too close for "Inspiration".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok everybody knows this, but even then I just posted this... Merc E class Estate and Tata Estate...... For a second thought, I think Tata and Merc had some sort of partnership at that time

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 9th March 2007 at 17:14.
Old 9th March 2007, 17:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

The worst part is that some Chinese company have ripped off Bajaj Pulsar design and even the name, calling it Gulsar !! So its not just the western designs they are ripping off.

The Hindu Business Line : Chinese checker

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks