Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2020, 19:09   #16
BHPian

re: My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade

As the celebrations rise, it is time to enjoy the way one likes.

A fine dressing of Salad while some other delicacies are on grilles

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-30.jpg

The site was chosen to be the Desert within Dubai jurisdiction as Dubai is quite liberal on Liquor policy unlike Sharjah, where it is forbidden. Incidentally, the next very state - Ajman, depends on Liquor sales for its economy. It had an exclusive Mall for Liquor only.
It was also near to road where Sedan Cars could be driven for friends who wished to join. They were driven to the camp site by 4WD of organizers.

As the darkness starts to disappear, the few remaining Tents show up.

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-34.jpg

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-35.jpg

Driving back to City with buildings glistening with first rays of the Sun turning all in Gold.

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-36.jpg

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-37.jpg

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-38.jpg

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-39.jpg

As a respect to the Desert, by next evening, a scavenging party clears the camping site off any garbage left behind and signs of overnight activities.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 13th July 2020 at 12:33. Reason: Broken formatting tags removed. Thanks for sharing.
Amrik Singh is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 19:27   #17
BHPian

While I have been sharing all the joyous moments of my life in Dubai, especially related to Desert driving, there have been some tense moments too.

Life is not all Roses - Thorns do accompany the sweet smelling and pretty looking Flowers.

It happened when a Jeep came too fast and flew off the crest of the dune, nose dived and toppled.

Fortunately, the driver escaped with minor injuries and a hit on the collar bone. He joined us much later again but was a lot cautious next.

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-b-03.jpg

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-b-04.jpg

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-b-06.jpg

As you must be aware that in UAE, any damage to the Car as a result of accident must be checked by Police and report obtained to avail repairs. The report would indicate the erring party. However, the Police Station nearest to the desert entry had Police simply asking if the damage was to a single car only, means no clash with another vehicle was involved, then they would issue report without any hassle.

That concludes this section of a part of my life. At the age of Double Six, I look back at these antics and a smile erupts.
With all that experience, whenever visiting USA, I drive the most while my daughters take a break and chat with my wife. Long distances and drive to Canada are in my part of driving.

Hope you have enjoyed this side of Dubai, which I feel is not known to all.

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 10th July 2020 at 08:34.
Amrik Singh is offline   (40) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 08:19   #18
BHPian

Here is a short clip of my Wife on One of her
Solo Desert Drive

Amrik Singh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 10th July 2020, 08:25   #19
BHPian

A clip of my Daughter riding a Sleigh towed by my Wife on wheels. This Sleigh was my own design and Test Driven by my daughter. She did tumble a few times but falling on Sand, she was up and on it again. She mastered it quite soon, probably having been adept in Skating and maintaining body balance. This video is shot by my other daughter sitting in the open hatchback.

She is screaming for more speed

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 10th July 2020 at 08:27.
Amrik Singh is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 11th July 2020, 08:30   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!

Incredible thread, incredible experiences . Will go to our homepage tomorrow!
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 12:28   #21
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Wow! This brings up fond memories. I did a part of my schooling in Bahrain. As my dad was in the construction field, we would always get opportunities to take our RAV4 off road. My dad returned in 2018, he was there for 12 years. Our visit to Dubai was only complemented with the dune bashing in an LC. Later we would take our RAV4 out on small trails in Bahrain. 2 years back we had rented a Patrol to take it off road.

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-2ad94292e7304886b2bc1492e8a486cd.jpeg

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-8e20ed404f26496ba7ed68fd19b8d9a9.jpeg

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-2770dd2ebdf54296941242a1f5d37acf.jpeg

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-46f3c897a7304d589ba8b758d99048fe.jpeg
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 13:20   #22
BHPian

I was born and raised in Dubai and this brings back a lot of fond memories from my childhood! Thank you for sharing. I love BBQ meets in the desert. Such a lovely feel.
Tassem is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 13:30   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrik Singh View Post
I am narrating briefly on my life in Dubai after return a decade ago.
Thanks for sharing. I grew up in Dubai and this post brought back a lot of memories.

The 4x4s you owned in Dubai are great choices - however, my personal favourite among the ones you shared is the Pajero-inspired Galloper.
JojyKerala is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 13:42   #24
Senior - BHPian

Amazing thread with an equally splendid collection of pictures.

Salute to your enthusiasm on the desert drives and camping.

One of my wish list ever since I came to Dubai has been to have a proper off road vehicle and head out in the deserts. Your thread gives me motivation. Respect.
raj_5004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2020, 15:46   #25
BHPian

You have narrated the off roading scene in Dubai very well Sir. I've never been to Dubai though, but while reading this thread, I felt like I was there at that point of time. The way the pictures were depicted were connected to every thread and a smooth transition from one to another! Glad that you have owned a great set of SUV's!
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 06:09   #26

Nowadays when you think of Dubai, what comes to mind is extravagant flashy cars doing insane triple digit speeds, thanks to movies and social media.

Thanks to you sir for giving us a real taste of off road automotive scene there.

Pics very well support the stories you narrate.
Pics though old, add a charm of their own.

With gradual improvement in pic quality, we get a feeling of travelling through time.
i@M.S.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 06:45   #27
Team-BHP Support

I was born in Dubai, and did all my schooling there. However, in all those years, I have never been offroading in the desert. Yup. Never. We didn't have access to a 4x4 then, and also no close friends who did such trips. Occasionally, my dad's Arab employer would lend him his Pajero and later on a 80 series Landcruiser to take home once in a while. My dad was always super careful with these cars and hence never ventured anywhere with it.

I guess this strengthened the resolve in me to own my own 4x4 and head out on such adventures. Now I own a Pajero and head out on off-roading trips, glad that I get the chance to indulge in such that I could only yearn for, back in the day. One of my favorite such spots is chronicled in this thread: Off-roading at Bribie (Exploring new frontiers : Trip to the Bribie Sand Island, off Brisbane)

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-img_1183_1.jpg

My Automotive Life in Dubai - Memoirs of a Decade-pajero2.jpg
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 07:12   #28
BHPian

Excellent thread, Veerji brought back memories of our stay in Riyadh around the same timeline from 1997 till 2016.

Early morning drive's, sand dunes, heavy fog during winter.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards
Vinod
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 10:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Good pictures and memories.
There was a time when we were out in the Desert every weekend ( Friday Saturday )
Did you ever come out on a Dubai 4X4 trip with me ? I did many. I was a Marshal there. Also we did FJ Cruiser launch and Toyota LC 200 Launch in the desert in 2007.
There was a great bunch of friends back then who did trips with us. Jamil Jamal Masood Dingo Taimur Philip Yusuf Robbie Singh Ajay Sikri, we were Marshals and great friends.

They were Marshals with me in the Gulf News fun drives and they were solidly with me when I took on Gulf News and created Khaleej Times Fun Drive.
We must have been on some Desert trip together. Even that Oman border wadi bashing which I had named - Where Eagles Dare !
desertfox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 11:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
Good pictures and memories.

We must have been on some Desert trip together. Even that Oman border wadi bashing which I had named - Where Eagles Dare !
I had done quite a few trips with Dubai4x4 starting from Dragon Mall initially till switch over to desertlions.
I was quite regular with Gulf News Fun drive and also on the (probably first) drive with Khaleej Times. I do not recall much Marshals except my friend late Mr. Gerhard Reeck because he was Consultant Engineer at Children City Project where was was MEP Project Manager.
Glad to come across you now.
Regards.

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 13th July 2020 at 11:32.
Amrik Singh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks