Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2021, 10:10   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Watch a failed cash-in-transit robbery attempt

The driver and his family are now getting death threats.

Quote:
South African truck heist hero placed under protection with his family after death threats

"He is an expert shot and wanted to give a little bit back. When they saw Leo get out with his automatic rifle in a bullet proof vest and kneeling down to take aim they decided they had had enough and gave it up and the two cars made their escape. You can see from the dashcam that from start to finish he hardly bats an eyelid but is constantly aware of where they are and doesn't flinch when they open fire on him and does his job perfectly."
The attackers second car the Audi A5:
Watch a failed cash-in-transit robbery attempt-615cb40df2804bf5a403387d3d70c7c4.jpeg

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/sou...QDUMWQT3HY4LY/

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 10th May 2021 at 10:26.
CEF_Beasts is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 11:11   #17
BHPian

Came across this video in my youtube feed yesterday only. Seems straight out of an action movie.
It also brings back some memories of my only travel to South Africa for a week, sometimes in 2008 AFAIR. I hired one black (hope that's the correct term to use nowadays) taxi guy and he is the one who ferried me for the whole week. Struck a little friendship with him. He told me carjackings were pretty common and every driver carried a gun. I asked him if he had one and he nonchalantly pulled one out. When I wanted a closer look, he removed the clip, checked if there is one in the chamber and handed it over to me, all the while still driving. (On a side note, my grandfather was a policeman and brought his revolver home regularly but nobody dared to even touch it or ask him for it.)
I asked him if anyone ever attempted to take his car from him and he said yes. He fired at the robber but ended up hitting a policeman instead and the court case was still going on!
And then true to my love of driving, I even asked him if I could drive his car and he agreed. I drove myself to airport with him as co-driver.

Last edited by pkk077 : 10th May 2021 at 11:12.
pkk077 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 12:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

This is crazy to see but hats off to the driver for pulling this off. It was like a switch turned on in his head and he just was Jason Statham behind the wheels.

The co driver was shocked to say the least but his training is clearly visible. His trigger finger discipline is commendable. He didnt fire by mistake due to that training. He was just a week old.

The driver is a man of steel.

Maddy
Old 10th May 2021, 13:09   #19
BHPian

On a lighter note, I'm surprised that the suspension of the car didn't bottom out with the weight of these two men's steel balls. These scenarios are better suited to movies than real life. I had my heart in my mouth the whole time watching the events unfold. Needless to say, I'm a fan of the driver.
DriverNo.420 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 14:11   #20
Senior - BHPian

This video had popped up in my Youtube feed few days back and I have seen both footages multiple times. The one I saw was uploaded by a channel Funker530 - veteran community.

The comments are hilarious on that video. One guy has commented.

“The Legend tells this man had 8 b****. He was left with only 2 and the rest 6 became the infinity stones.”
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 15:19   #21
BHPian

Maybe a newbie question as carjackings are not my area of expertise; why didn't they shoot the tires and disable the vehicle?
Might cause the vehicle to crash and damage the cargo but still a part of the cargo might still be usable. Isnt it?
Old 10th May 2021, 15:23   #22
BHPian

If only they have a camera at the back also (does tesla webcam replacements for ORVMs come with recording feature?? :-)). The feed of the 3 cameras could've been sold for a handsome amount, apart from being helpful in nabbing the culprits!!
aashishnb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 16:10   #23
BHPian

The video gave me goosebumps and I am in awe of the demeanor of the driver. I am sure he has enough experience behind him both as a marksmen as well as a South African to not pursue an action which will create greater complications for him. So I guess he knew what he is getting into when he stepped out with his assault rifle.

I would love to have his clarity of thought in emergencies!
Old 10th May 2021, 16:48   #24
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2021 at 10:48.
Hemantteen is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th May 2021, 20:12   #25
BHPian

Wow. I think he went zig zig because the shooters would be sitting on one side of the car. When he shifts to other side it will take for them to shift to the other side. By the time they shift to the other side he changes side again. Probably years of training showing here.
JediKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 23:13   #26

Even though they were transporting mobile phones according to the news report.. the sheer amount of mental presence is commendable and when he makes the turn back it’s like woah ‘My time now boys’.

I’m just curious to know what if the airbags deployed during the front impact or are they removed completely when a car is being bullet-proofed?

Toyota: 1
Audi & Ford: 0

Won’t be surprised if some advertising campaigns come out in the near future.
Old 10th May 2021, 23:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnon View Post
Maybe a newbie question as carjackings are not my area of expertise; why didn't they shoot the tires and disable the vehicle?
Might cause the vehicle to crash and damage the cargo but still a part of the cargo might still be usable. Isnt it?
The idea is to get away with the vehicle as quick as possible before the cops/anti-hijacking unit shows up. There is no time to transfer the contents into another vehicle and hence the target vehicle must be capable of mobility immediately after the takeover. From what I have heard this is pretty common is South Africa and happens on a daily basis (Any BHP-ians over there ?). Check out the videos from this channel too:

TrackDay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 01:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Leo Prinsloo Official Interview

Source: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCap...nu068JO3HOwdEg
badboyscad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 08:49   #29

Imagine, if it were to happen in India! The car would in all probabilities will be a Bolero, for bulletproof windows we would have stone resisting mesh, for the gun it would be a .303 and forget the bulletproof vest, our policemen don't get it. And for training the thing is that these guys are mostly retired Army personnel (that is for the guards, probably not for the driver) and it stops at that. So in all possibilities, the loot materializes with loss of life(s).
JourneyMan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2021, 12:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyMan View Post
Imagine, if it were to happen in India! The car would in all probabilities will be a Bolero, for bulletproof windows we would have stone resisting mesh, for the gun it would be a .303 and forget the bulletproof vest, our policemen don't get it. And for training the thing is that these guys are mostly retired Army personnel (that is for the guards, probably not for the driver) and it stops at that. So in all possibilities, the loot materializes with loss of life(s).
Its more of a demand and supply issue. You do not see this occur on a daily basis in india and also most of the cases are of employees of the security agency walking away with a bag of cash more than armed assailants with AK 47s chasing your truck with the intention of killing you and blasting the doors of the safe open.

Politicians and celebs though are supposedly more at risk here than a cash carrying van. Thats why they get bullet proof glasses and armed guards with machine guns.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks