Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2021, 15:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Casper SUV globally unveiled; India launch expected soon

Hyundai has officially unveiled its all-new Casper SUV globally. The new Hyundai Casper is a micro-SUV that will be positioned below the Venue, in the brand's model line-up.

Hyundai Casper SUV globally unveiled; India launch expected soon-hyundaicasper1.jpg

The new Hyundai Casper SUV is said to be underpinned by the brand's K1 compact car platform, which also underpins the Santro and the Grand i10 NIOS offerings. The Casper measures 3,595 mm in length, 1,595 mm in width and 1,575 mm in height; with a wheelbase of 2,400 mm.

Hyundai Casper SUV globally unveiled; India launch expected soon-hyundaicasper2.jpg

In terms of design, the new Hyundai Casper features a retro-themed design with sleek LED DRLs on top and circular headlamps positioned lower down. Moving to the side, the Casper features a boxy design with dual-tone alloy wheels roof rails and the rear door handles integrated into the C-pillar. At the rear, the LED taillights have been incorporated into the rear bumper, while the rear windscreen features 'jewel themed' LED lights.

Hyundai Casper SUV globally unveiled; India launch expected soon-hyundaicasper3.jpg

Hyundai is yet to reveal the interiors of the Casper micro-SUV. However, it is expected to feature a floating touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and Hyundai's Blue Link connected tech. It will also feature a host of other features and tech, integrated into a neatly laid-out dashboard and cabin.

Hyundai Casper SUV globally unveiled; India launch expected soon-hyundaicasper4.jpg

The new Hyundai Casper is said to be offered with a choice of two petrol engine options. This includes an 85 BHP 1.0-litre naturally-aspirated engine and a more powerful 1.0-litre T-GDI unit churning out 99 BHP. The Casper will come with both manual and automatic transmission options.

The new Casper micro-SUV will make its way to the Indian market as well. Although a timeline is yet to be confirmed, the Casper once introduced in India will take on the likes of the upcoming Tata Punch.

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (32) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 15:33   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Casper SUV globally unveiled; India launch expected soon

This one looks good! Youthful, funky and thankfully a departure from the alien-bug design language.

Would expect it to come with great interior quality and the best touch-screen in the segment along with feel-goods like the sunroof. Looks like a winner.
batladanny is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 15:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
This includes an 85 BHP 1.0-litre naturally-aspirated engine and a more powerful 1.0-litre T-GDI unit churning out 99 BHP. The Casper will come with both manual and automatic transmission options.
1.2 NA engine, surely? Will be hard to squeeze 85 horses from a 1L NA engine.

This car is going to be the ultimate city car. Upright, good visibility and chuckable dimensions. The Tata Punch and Hyundai Casper may spawn another segment of their own or take away the sales from the Wagon-R. Ignis' sales are going to fall even further, this is "Micro-SUV" design done right.

My father, despite looking for upgrades in a segment above, is definitely going to he interested in this.
RoadMonkey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 15:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The Casper measures 3,595 mm in length, 1,595 mm in width and 1,575 mm in height; with a wheelbase of 2,400 mm.
Love these dimensions. Perfect for our choked city roads. I wish they also think about electrification of this.

Only reason I enjoy Alto K10 today is due to its compact dimensions and I can drive it like an Auto.
However it lacks any sort of premium-ness and it will be a game changer. I was closely watching Tata punch/Hbx but they seem to have made it wider and almost sub-4m and it will end up competing with venue/sonet
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 15:57   #5
Senior - BHPian

Never knew modern cars come with speakers in position of headlights, I am so out of touch with modern car design.
sukiwa is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 15:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hyundai has officially unveiled its all-new Casper SUV globally. The new Hyundai Casper is a micro-SUV that will be positioned below the Venue, in the brand's model line-up.
The second car in the 4th picture resembles a band baaja baarat car with all those speakers and lights.
saisree is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 16:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Side profile looks almost like Ignis. This is where Tata score high, HBX/Punch looks like a proper compact SUV and design is unique.

Edit:
No wonder, HBX/Punch is a size bigger than Casper

CASPER - 3595 L, 1595 W, 1575 H - Wheelbase 2400
HBX/PUNCH - 3840 L, 1822 W, 1635 H - Wheelbase 2450

Last edited by Latheesh : 1st September 2021 at 16:08.
Latheesh is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 16:48   #8
Team-BHP Support

After a while, I liked a design from Hyundai; this looks quirky but in a nice way. The Toyota C-HR type rear doors also add to the character. With the current appetite for crossovers, this can work well in the Indian market.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 17:01   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Looks like Hyundai is taking the ignis head-on with casper. I like the name. I just hope they make the N-Line with appropriate engine to make it a hot hatch like the Mini Cooper's in Italian Job.

Ok now to wake up and still appreciate what Hyundai is doing.
Old 1st September 2021, 17:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Wow it resembles IGNIS so much, specially the side profile. Even the front looks weird with those speakers. What happened to Hyundai? Elite i20 was so nice, post which they have been churning out weird looking car after car. HBX/Punch looks so much better than these brigade of KUV, Ignis, Spresso & now this Casper.

Looking at these hideous designs my respect for TATA design team just goes up.

Last edited by SoumenD : 1st September 2021 at 18:01.
SoumenD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 19:00   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
After a while, I liked a design from Hyundai; this looks quirky but in a nice way.
+1

Of late Hyundai design team is on a roll of getting spot-on designs in some interesting segments (eg. Ioniq 5 and now this). Was thinking of a tall supermini like an S-presso for my mom, for short inner city commutes. Will wait for this one. Hope they keep the interiors functional and clean unlike the i20's grilled/ribbed/dust magnet interiors.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 1st September 2021 at 19:04.
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 19:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadMonkey View Post
1.2 NA engine, surely? Will be hard to squeeze 85 horses from a 1L NA engine.
I think OP made a mistake with power figures
It is 1.0 MPI. Car throttle mentioned 66bhp for this engine. Let's wait for official power figures from Hyundai.
The car looks lovely btw. Much better than Ignis.
Old 1st September 2021, 19:43   #13
BHPian

Does anyone know why the cars in the 4th picture sport different front grille design? The grille on the red Casper is devoid of the 'stereo speaker' like air-intakes. Is that the electric version!?

Last edited by Emvi : 1st September 2021 at 20:09.
Old 1st September 2021, 19:44   #14
MUJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
No wonder, HBX/Punch is a size bigger than Casper

CASPER - 3595 L, 1595 W, 1575 H - Wheelbase 2400
HBX/PUNCH - 3840 L, 1822 W, 1635 H - Wheelbase 2450
I feel that Hyundai has planned to target the Suzuki S-Presso & Renault Kwid segment rather than the Ignis & Tata HBX. I guess they would load the Casper with features and try to undercut the HBX and steal customers from Maruti. But after the I20 & Alcazar pricing, I'm a bit skeptical.
MUJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 20:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
The new Hyundai Casper is said to be offered with a choice of two petrol engine options. This includes an 85 BHP 1.0-litre naturally-aspirated engine and a more powerful 1.0-litre T-GDI unit churning out 99 BHP. The Casper will come with both manual and automatic transmission options.
With 1.0L T-GDI engine Hyundai Casper will easily punch Tata Punch at least when it comes to the engine department whenever Hyundai plans to launch it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks