Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2008, 09:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katalysm76 View Post
so may be after a few years we will get to see alot of RR as the Merc's and the Beamers these days
yes, thats likely to happen
and besides RR has gained this image only after the phantom came in

for a very long time RR had been selling cars like SILVER shadow/spur/spirit/seraph
which were not as significant as the phantom
  1. so basically by launching cheapers ROLLS,its basically targeting the market of bentley ArnageR as it once did
Old 18th January 2008, 09:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
It's gonna lose all its British charm if they base it on the 7 series as the reports are saying. In my opinion, who needs a cheaper Rolls?
If you want anything cheaper, you just go buy the most expensive Jaguar or Bentley.
Or else, buy a Cadillac.
BMW needs a cheaper rolls to fill the gap between the 7 series and the Phantom.

Besides doesnt the current Phantom share 15 percent of its components with the 7 series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMATMO View Post
yes, thats likely to happen
and besides RR has gained this image only after the phantom came in

for a very long time RR had been selling cars like SILVER shadow/spur/spirit/seraph
which were not as significant as the phantom
  1. so basically by launching cheapers ROLLS,its basically targeting the market of bentley ArnageR as it once did
I disagree. Everyone always knew that the Rolls Royce was always the Rolls Royce of the automobile world.

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th May 2008 at 20:44. Reason: Pleas use multiquote option instead of making back to back posts
Old 21st January 2008, 14:26   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I disagree. Everyone always knew that the Rolls Royce was always the Rolls Royce of the automobile world.
true khanak but there was a time when the sold RR along with the bentley ArnageRL
and if i am not wrong bentley ArnageRl turbo had once sold more cars then the silver spirit/spur (not sure though)

but i must admit if the cheaper rolls comes in then bentley will have something to worry about

Last edited by AMATMO : 21st January 2008 at 14:28.
Old 21st January 2008, 16:05   #19
BHPian

I dont think the royce will ever end up as common as the merc and the Beamer
Old 31st January 2008, 08:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The most important new Rolls-Royce in a decade is coming closer to a road-going reality, and these are the pictures that prove it. According to Autocar’s information, you’re looking at one of the first full-bodied prototypes for the car known internally at Rolls' Goodwood HQ as ‘RR4’ - the firm's all-new smaller saloon model due to go on sale in 2010.
A Phantom that will fit on your driveway

Our spies have exposed the new smallest Rolls-Royce in its entirety for the first time. These shots, snapped recently in Munich, show how faithfully the new car will adopt the Phantom’s design language (reference the car’s thick C-pillar and suicide rear doors). However, it’s also significantly lower and shorter than a Phantom, has a shorter bonnet, and a much less upright grille, than its bigger sibling.
Rolls-Royce’s plans to build RR4 have been public knowledge since the Paris motor show in 2006, when CEO Ian Robertson announced them on the eve of first press day. Construction is already underway at the firm’s Goodwood factory to expand production facilities and increase capacity in preparation for the new car.
RR4 should be in showrooms by the end of the decade and, priced from around £175,000, will make entry to one of the most prestigious owners’ clubs in the motoring world almost £50,000 cheaper.

BMW mechanicals; special engines

Unlike the Phantom, which has its own extruded aluminium monocoque skeleton, RR4 will have a steel body structure shared, in many respects, with the new BMW 7-series. As Autocar understands it, the new BMW’s platform is a hybrid of aluminium and steel, and is flexible enough to allow Rolls-Royce to give RR4 a wheelbase, roof height, bonnet height and track widths all of its own.
Various chassis, cabin, drivetrain and electrics components will also be shared with the new Seven, but according to one RR source, they’ll be confined wherever possible to those components the owner can’t see.
One area where Rolls won’t look to save costs is under RR4’s bonnet. The car will have at least one, and possibly two multicylinder powerplants that, like the Phantom’s 6.75-litre V12, will be exclusive to Rolls-Royce. Developments of the 407bhp 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8 from the BMW X6, or the 441bhp 6.0-litre V12 from the current 760i, are possibilities. Neither would be allowed to eclipse the Phantom’s 453bhp and generous 531lb ft of torque though, in order to maintain the brand’s model hierarchy.
One company source told us that Rolls-Royce high-ups are even warming towards the idea of a diesel-engined Rolls-Royce. “It would have all the important characteristics of the Rolls-Royce driving experience,” he said – “i.e. plenty of low-range torque and ‘waftability’.”
“What’s more, the old-money buyers who might have been put off by the idea of a diesel engine are becoming a much less important part of our customer base.”
Autocar - World exclusive: Rolls-Royce 'RR4' spied
Old 31st January 2008, 09:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Does anyone else see any resemblance (the front end) with a Chrysler 300c?
Old 31st January 2008, 15:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan View Post
Does anyone else see any resemblance (the front end) with a Chrysler 300c?
. Not a good thing for a Rolls Royce.
Old 31st January 2008, 20:57   #23
Senior - BHPian

Rolls Royce shall lose it's exclusivity, it's image as a status symbol and it's oomph value if this car is produced and sold.
Get it right, straight and clear guys, a Rolls Royce is a Rolls Royce; we won't value the 'Spirit of Ecstasy' as much as we do today if we get to see it more than once or twice a day!!!!
Old 1st February 2008, 02:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

How many 7-series S-class upward cars do we see anyway to dilute Rolls Royce's brand equity.
Old 1st February 2008, 03:31   #25
BHPian

But dont you guys think it won't have that exclusivity any more? Do you get what i'm saying? Part of the RR ownership experience is the exclusivity and price you pay for it. Its all about money and power. Atleast I thought it was the way they sold these things and they way people go gaga over the RR's.?! Surprised not all of you think that way ... guess folks do want a cheap RR.
Old 1st February 2008, 05:22   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
How many 7-series S-class upward cars do we see anyway to dilute Rolls Royce's brand equity.
There are way too many S Classes and 7 Series running around Mumbai. If I get to see even half the number of baby Rolls Royces it would ruin it for me. But then again I guess its going to take us some more time to get used to the whole concept of a cheaper Rolls Royce and Im sure we will soon.
Old 1st February 2008, 08:39   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayabusa View Post
Rolls Royce shall lose it's exclusivity, it's image as a status symbol and it's oomph value if this car is produced and sold.
Get it right, straight and clear guys, a Rolls Royce is a Rolls Royce; we won't value the 'Spirit of Ecstasy' as much as we do today if we get to see it more than once or twice a day!!!!
Rolls Royce were in this market with the Silver Shadow and Silver Seraph etc. VW starved the Seraph of development and channelled resources to make the Bentley, a rich oaf's hotrod.

When BMW took over, they needed to relaunch the brand by making the first model an extravagant statement. It has woked.

My guess is that the "baby" Rolls will be priced around the same as an Arnage or at least between a conty and an arnage
Old 29th May 2008, 19:05   #28
BHPian

Baby Rolls Royce

Cheaper Rolls Royce Coming-165377417f7b2063bfd4fab2549da7.jpg

Cheaper Rolls Royce Coming-b9311d6313a4f9fc7222b6a837486.jpg

Cheaper Rolls Royce Coming-299550f2acb45c1d3f5a3e7fbb42.jpg

The new Baby Rolls Royce is built due to slot in beneath the £265,000 Phantom, the new model - currently known as RR4. This is built to compete against Bentley's £117,500 Flying Spur.
Old 30th May 2008, 08:36   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zibby View Post

Attachment 17870

The new Baby Rolls Royce is built due to slot in beneath the £265,000 Phantom, the new model - currently known as RR4. This is built to compete against Bentley's £117,500 Flying Spur.

certainly looks like a bentley killer, the antenna sort of thing on the rear part of the roof looks like that of the 5 series
Old 30th May 2008, 09:52   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Rolls Royce did something similar with the 20/25hp cars of the 20's, i.e. selling a smaller, cheaper model than the Silver Ghost. In retrospect it was one of their smartest moves, giving them somewhat decent volumes and reach. Mind you, a cheaper Rolls Royce is still very very expensive!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks