Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2007, 18:42   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This kind of news makes me really happy. The Scorpio will create an all-new market segment in the States; that of an inexpensive rugged 4x4 / pickup. I repeat....45,000 bookings is only the start of things to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
While some Indian car makers are exporting / exploring developing markets around the world, Mahindra appears to be slyly (yet steadily) build a strong base in the largest car market of the world : USA!

I think Mahindra is on to bigger things as I doubt Anand Mahindra would be happy with just selling tractors in the States. What is their current product range and who will it appeal to? Certainly the Scorpios and crude pick-ups wont do well in urban America because they arent refined enough. But no one can argue that they do the job well. And if they can be overladen and yet survive on our inexistent roads, they can surely do better on American farmlands! And no one will be able to match Mahindra in the costing of these rugged workhorses.
Old 13th December 2007, 19:04   #17
Team-BHP Support

dockap and all others cribbing about our scorpio vis-a-vis theirs please remember, the top of the line scorpio with all zing-bang is being launched at a price which is pretty high for that country. They say it will be priced at $25,000.

Now in rupee terms it may not sound very high but then for that country it is really high pricing. My friend bought the US Hyundai Sonata (our Embera) last year for $17,000 or so. So that should give you an idea. Which also brings us to the old debate on how badly the govt here sucks the industries for taxes and levies to make everything cost so high in this country.

Last edited by Zappo : 13th December 2007 at 19:07.
Old 13th December 2007, 19:15   #18
BHPian

why would they buy a indian scorpio for 25,000 usd they have so many options and much better suvs for that kind of money
Old 13th December 2007, 19:15   #19
Team-BHP Support

$25000! A RAV4. CRV etc., costs 20K$
Old 13th December 2007, 19:23   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Go figure! I was also scratching my head thinking about how bold or fool-hardy are these people (US dealers, who are importing this by paying the money) to bet on such a costly, unknown SUV when the Japanese ones come cheaper (americans have a thing about everything jap).
Old 13th December 2007, 20:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Anywayz a good news...I think MUSA(mahindra usa) enjoys a good reputation as a tractor maker....
may be that is the thing for confidence of the dealers...
Old 13th December 2007, 20:25   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Anywayz a good news...I think MUSA(mahindra usa) enjoys a good reputation as a tractor maker....
may be that is the thing for confidence of the dealers...
My guess is that Mahindra has bankrolled the 45,000 orders so that U.S. dealerships can not lose money by marketing them. Mahindra better have its s**t together, they better solve the high speed handling problems and they better not rust. The U.S. has tough winters and they use rock salt to remove ice and snow from the roads. This does nasty things to bad paint jobs very quickly. If the Scorpio gets a bad word of mouth reputation in the U.S. it will find a quick death. If it has quality issues then this will not bode well for M&M or Indian automobiles in North America.
Old 13th December 2007, 20:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Value from export of manhole covers?
25 years back, it used feature at the top of the list of items exported to US from India .
he he he, dude, i think you are still living in the past, manhole covers ? we might even start importing them from china in a few years. Currently our exports are so high that the FE reserves is at an all time high. Please do come to the present, we are getting there.

Quote:
This kind of news makes me really happy. The Scorpio will create an all-new market segment in the States; that of an inexpensive rugged 4x4 / pickup. I repeat....45,000 bookings is only the start of things to come.
absolutely. this is just the kind of thing that we Indians can be proud of, so lets hope M&M will play their cards right. They too know the importance of such a deal even if they did bankrolled this order.
Old 14th December 2007, 12:29   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
dockap and all others cribbing about our scorpio vis-a-vis theirs please remember, the top of the line scorpio with all zing-bang is being launched at a price which is pretty high for that country. They say it will be priced at $25,000.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockap View Post
why would they buy a indian scorpio for 25,000 usd they have so many options and much better suvs for that kind of money
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Lets hold that until the pricing is officially announced. However, unlike the CRV + RAV4, the Scorpio is diesel, can actually off-road and has far superior load carrying capacity / room.

Mahindra isnt targeting the urban segment, which is where the CRV's and RAV4's sell. Its the semi-rurals / urbans where the Scorpio will tick.
Old 14th December 2007, 12:32   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
25 years back, it used feature at the top of the list of items exported to US from India .
Come on, you can do better than that. China followed by India - the top two on US retailers lists for sourcing products from.....softhome, hardgoods, apparel, now even food!
Old 14th December 2007, 12:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Lets hold that until the pricing is officially announced. However, unlike the CRV + RAV4, the Scorpio is diesel, can actually off-road and has far superior load carrying capacity / room.

Mahindra isnt targeting the urban segment, which is where the CRV's and RAV4's sell. Its the semi-rurals / urbans where the Scorpio will tick.
Hi,
Do you think Diesel is cheaper than Petrol in the US?
Old 14th December 2007, 12:43   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Scorpio does not even have diff locks or LSD, so its going to be less capable than the likes of GV, RAV4 etc.,
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRADEEP KUMAR View Post
Hi,
Do you think Diesel is cheaper than Petrol in the US?
Exactly, diesel is not a USP for USA. I would say this 25K is speculative, and Mahindra would price it against Kia Sportage kind of budget SUVs which retail for 16-17K USD
Old 14th December 2007, 12:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If they price it at 25k, not one unit will sell. You'll get an American made SUV with a V8 in that kinda cash. Also do remember that for Americans it doesn't matter whether its diesel or gas cos petrol prices are not astronomically high like India.

They'll only sell scorpios if they can price it at 15k or less.
Old 14th December 2007, 12:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

This is a great news. We should be proud of it and wish all the best to M & M.
Let the Americans get bitten by the SCORPIOn.
Old 14th December 2007, 14:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
he he he, dude, i think you are still living in the past, manhole covers ? we might even start importing them from china in a few years. Currently our exports are so high that the FE reserves is at an all time high. Please do come to the present, we are getting there.
You missed my big grin smiley or what? It was mentioned in a light vein.

Incidentally, the US still imports its manhole covers from India and I do hope you are aware of the recent controversy over the New York Times article highlighting the pathetic conditions in which the Indian labourers make them.

Check this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/26/ny...=1&oref=slogin

Last edited by directinjection : 14th December 2007 at 14:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks