Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2008, 12:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
the standard MM540 engine is more than enough for offroading. it loses out on the highway, but you could fix that by changing the final gear ratio right? is'nt that easier than an engine and a transmission swap?
just asking, cos I have plans
The XDP4.9 engine is very underpowered. If you increase teh final gear ratio you might get a better top speed on the highway but you will need a lot of time and a nice downward slope to reach the top speed.
Old 22nd February 2008, 13:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Looks meaty with 235 A/T tyres and 2000 cc peugeot CRDI engine. Yeah u read i right...CRDI !!! The following are the specifications-

1997 cc turbo diesel CRDI
90 BHP
20.5 Kgm torque
The numbers dont add up - the output and specifically the Torque figures dont seem to belong to a CRDi engine. This is more in line with the Skoda TDi and the Tata TCIC series.
Old 23rd February 2008, 11:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

mm 540 was one of my preffered jeep shape-atleast.but sadly rusting as rippergeo said was the main problem and had reliablity issues.with a reliable engine and the body works better it should sell.as gto said the one in the pic looks meaty especially with the a/t tyres.
ram
Old 23rd February 2008, 16:59   #19
BHPian

Hey, saw a jeep looking excectly same to the one in thicture in black color today morning in Janakpuri Area of New Delhi. It looked awsome and appeared to be new.
Old 26th February 2008, 01:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Agey View Post
Hey, saw a jeep looking excectly same to the one in thicture in black color today morning in Janakpuri Area of New Delhi. It looked awsome and appeared to be new.
Probably from one of the Jeep refurbishers in Mayapuri.

You can get similar Jeeps made to order in Dabwali (Haryana).
Old 26th February 2008, 10:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

It's a done deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
....... and I really don't see a reason for this gap in their product portfolio.
But I ask you, is learning to write like this (what a word portfolio!) a good reason to let a Mahindra Classic rot away?

"Nay!", I cry out, and again, "Nay!"

Sheeesh! It does not really matter. This guy is soon to be a tycoon anyway. He can buy a humvee with his spare change while that Classic sits alone and forgotten in a dark unused garage.

That photo distorts, no the rear is not too small.
Old 26th February 2008, 11:54   #22
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
The XDP4.9 engine is very underpowered. If you increase teh final gear ratio you might get a better top speed on the highway but you will need a lot of time and a nice downward slope to reach the top speed.
The XDP may be underpowered, but I have a lot of respect for the unit....this after using it for over 1.4 lac kilometers. It is rugged to the bone, has good torque for offroading, excellent drivability for city use and is pretty easy on diesel too. The reliability is excellent, never had a problem with the engine in its entire life.

I am deeply repenting selling the XDP unit off. In retrospect, rebuilding the diesel would have been the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
But I ask you, is learning to write like this (what a word portfolio!) a good reason to let a Mahindra Classic rot away?

"Nay!", I cry out, and again, "Nay!"
Patience my friend, patience!! Now I really don't get whether you are really taking my case, or love the Classic so much.

I have promised that it will be on the road in this year....restored to full beauty and with a torquey diesel / 4x4.
Old 26th February 2008, 23:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

GTO,

Sorry to go offtrack but what happened to your classics engine transplant ?
Old 27th February 2008, 15:04   #24
BHPian

I too own a jeep with XDP engine and its great to use

Mr GTO,

When driving this motor do you down shift to 1st gear only when you have reached to a complete stop for few seconds? ... Since I too use the same engine with a 4 speed gearbox. I find the jeep making KRRRR noise with 1st gear not engaging if i downshift to first from 2nd due to slow speed (this driving practice which i am trying to forget soon as I use hyundai santro all the time)

is this problem because the 4 speed gearbox i use isn't it a synchromesh gear box, right???
Old 27th February 2008, 15:48   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Well, in retrospect, it was just a bad idea to begin with. Too many reliability issues, overheating, petrol stench and no 4x4. No brainer to move it back to a stock diesel setup.
Old 27th February 2008, 15:52   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
I too own a jeep with XDP engine and its great to use

When driving this motor do you down shift to 1st gear only when you have reached to a complete stop for few seconds?
The first gear isn't a sychromesh. You would have to bring the jeep to a stand-still before shifting to the 1st gear.
Old 27th February 2008, 16:58   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjith
When driving this motor do you down shift to 1st gear only when you have reached to a complete stop for few seconds? ... Since I too use the same engine with a 4 speed gearbox.
OT: There's so much torque that I use the second gear to move the jeep from standstill. One doesn't even need to ride the clutch.
Of course,this is wrong theoretically. But, the older drivers tell us that the first gear is the "extra gear" used to get you out of tough situations.I'd agree.

And yes, there's no synchros in the jeep gearbox. I learnt this the hardest way, a major crash.
Old 27th February 2008, 17:01   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Of course,this is wrong theoretically. But, the older drivers tell us that the first gear is the "extra gear" used to get you out of tough situations.I'd agree.
Why is it wrong? On large tractors (of the tractor-trailer variety, not the agricultural) you rarely use the first 2 gears. You start from 4th or 5th if there is no load. Monkey (Symonds, this doesnt mean you) will be able to teach us a few things about things like that, I'm sure.

No real reason not to start from a higher gear for light passenger applications on a vehicle like that when its geared very very low.

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th February 2008 at 17:03.
Old 18th March 2008, 20:21   #29
BHPian

I am new team member and this is may first port. I am planning to buy a MM550XD very shortly. I am from Jodhpur (Rajasthan) which quite a big military base but could not find any good machine here. I might have to visit to Delhi to have one. Does somebody have any idea from where in Delhi one can buy it. Also the most important is that this has to be in good condition as I can not spend all too much money (limited budget). Can I have one in START ENGINE condition. Also I am impreesed by the Mahindra THAR and will certainly convert the look of my MM550SC into the same. Can anybody help me in finding the 2004 model MM550's mudflaps. Are they available. I know many experts are here and will help in making my dreams true.
Old 20th May 2008, 09:55   #30
BHPian

The Mahindra Thar is quite close to my fantasy machine....well finally there's a machine from Mahindra that I'am liking once again after the MM540/550

here's the linky to the vid...she looks amazing in that red hot dress...

Last edited by sabret00the : 20th May 2008 at 10:06.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks