Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2008, 11:03   #31
BHPian

Yeah. I came to think about it again, and i guess it won't be right for TATA or M&M to go for hummer.

The sole reason GM is getting rid of these brands is their gasoline guzzling nature which would put a pressure on their entire portfolio of cars. According to new norms which would be adopted in many countries, cars would be taxed according to their CO2 emissions for every km traveled. If a cars emits more, then the manufacturer has to pay more tax or compensate the extra emissions through other lower emission vehicles in their portfolio. This concept is just like carbon credits. But the problem may be more severe for TATA or M&M as they dont sell compact/small cars with lower emissions in USA or Europe which incidentally are the largest markets of Hummer and JLR.

This was the reason, JLR takeover by TATA wasn't taken very well. Considering the current emissions of these cars are upto 40% above the proposed norms, they would have to pay the very heavy extra tax or improve engine efficiency drastically which even Ford wouldn't have been able to compensate with their wide range of compact cars. This makes TATA's expansion and rapid growth into Europe and USA all more important. I hope the new Indica, new Indigo, Xover and later X2 Safari are indeed a big leap in the right direction for them.
Old 7th June 2008, 12:54   #32
BHPian

Tata or Mahindra to buy HUMMER?

Casualties of war, a name given to those left behind in battle, nowadays referring more to innocent bystanders than combat soldiers. In these times of war against emissions, carbon dioxide and chokingly high oil prices, casualties may be left behind. The first of these could be HUMMER, General Motors’ gasoline sandpit on four wheels. Following GM’s statements earlier this week that it is reviewing its HUMMER brand on a strategic basis “from a complete revamp of the product line up to a complete sale of the brand”, news is now out that Tata or Mahindra could be buying HUMMER, although both have refused to comment. Tata recently turned the tables on its former coloniser the United Kingdom as it bought two of its most iconic brands Land Rover and Jaguar in an historic cash deal.

Bankers representing both Indian brands have been said to be meeting with GM executives to discuss the possible disposal of HUMMER to their clients. HUMMER dropped sales 35 percent so far this year, surpassing the 25 percent drop it experienced in 2007. In layman’s terms, the brand is bleeding. Cars like the Chevrolet Volt point to the future of GM as it revamps its entire fleet into a gas-saving futuristic lineup of clean cars that even Al Gore can endorse.HUMMER doesn’t seem to fit this bill and so this so-called strategic review is expected to go one way only.

Source: Tata or Mahindra to buy HUMMER?
Attached Thumbnails
GM considers selling Hummer. EDIT : Sold to a Chinese Company-9080607.001.mini3l.jpg  

Old 7th June 2008, 13:04   #33
Team-BHP Support

Don't think TATA will take another risk so soon. They already have enough in their hands with the JLR acquisition, soon to be launched TATA Nano, new indica and some other spied cars too.

Mahindra is trying to enter the US market, and has been reported to be developing hybrids as well as automatic transmission for the US market. It could be a good advantage for them, if they can enter the SUV market as the owner of the Hummer brand.

EDIT: Thread exists- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ce-hummer.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 7th June 2008 at 13:06.
Old 7th June 2008, 13:10   #34
BHPian

I would really love to see an Indian company buy this iconic brand
Old 7th June 2008, 13:20   #35
BHPian

So basically, all the inefficient polluting CRAP is being dumped for India, while GM develops non-plluting electric cars.

And I dont think Hummer is or was, an "iconic" "brand".

If Mahindra buys Hummer, it will be for dirt cheap price, or else, it is not even worth buying it.

Old 7th June 2008, 13:52   #36
BHPian

I think Mahindra will be more interested than Tata.They say talks are on between the bankers.Will have to wait and watch.Sorry, Did not manage to find the other thread in my search before starting this one.Mods please take the necessary action.
Old 7th June 2008, 13:55   #37
BHPian

While this thread might be merged with the existing ones, it doesn't take significance away from the fact that while HUMMER might be an ICONIC brand, it is time for it go away from common man. Somethings are just not meant for public money and like Concord, it is gonna meet the same fate soon. Never a big fan of fuel guzzlers, it's time that with rising prices, these brands see a falling purchase.
Old 7th June 2008, 14:00   #38
BHPian

Well time to merge it into one of the 3 threads going around. Too many threads for one scoop.
Old 7th June 2008, 18:57   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
I would really love to see an Indian company buy this iconic brand
First off, I dont think that Hummer is iconic brand. Basically H2 is based on Tahoe. H1 is iconic. It would be meaning less for either to buy this company unless they want something to step into US. Both the carmakers dont have sufficiently capable and finished products to launch in US.
Maseratti and Ferrai are the fiats that sell in US. The Fiat cars like Grande Punto is not in US market. This US market is not easy to crack.

Already Hummer is not a brand that the people over there are keen after specially after the recent spurt in oil prices. Rather than spending the money on Hummer brand, they ( both Mahindra and Tata ) must concentrate on Indian operations like developing a proper product, proper engines so that they dont have to go for AVL or someone for a diesel to be plonked into Scorpio/Safari and improving After Sales and Service.

Here in India both the car companies have sufficiently good image and will get success if they are ready to concentrate and chanallize their efforts into Indian operations. Hummer is not a brand that is worth buying. Had it been Isuzu ( read excellent diesel engine ) it would have atleast made some sense. Toyota brought that part and now Tundra will be having a diesel that is mostly developed with immense help from Isuzu.
Old 8th June 2008, 01:50   #40
BHPian

Another Good Source:
REPORT: Tata and Mahindra interested in HUMMER : Watch Cars

Read it.
Old 8th June 2008, 07:39   #41
LLL
BHPian

I agree with almost everyone that Tatas/M&M shouldnt waste their funds on this. It will never be a volume-puller vehicle and manuf wont make any great profits from this brand.

I dont think it can be manufactured easily in India and will have to be imported making it a really expensive proposition. Tatas/M&M will probably only manuf & sell it in US.

Also, sooner or later, govts will realise that its a fuel guzzler and they might add additional taxes on it.

So, i dont see anyone making any profits from this brand and hence best avoided. + its on the radar of environmentalists and they will cause lots of trouble....
Old 9th June 2008, 05:24   #42
BHPian

Hold your horses, a TATA purchase of Hummer may make more sense than you realise. Firstly TATA own Land Rover which is already working on a range of technology to make their own cars much more fuel efficient. Secondly Hummer may just come with a factory and some patents but possibly no R&D people. In a sense that would simplify things. It would mean that all Hummer development work could shift to Land Rover. Land Rover could use their own components to turn Hummer into a direct competitor to Jeep. This would give TATA both the lower and premium ends of the SUV markets. Land Rover would get some cost saving and could possibly make some models in the USA to counter the strong dollar.

Hummer is iconic. It's big, it's brash and it's very American. Land Rover is even more iconic but its premium, sophisticated and British. Share dealers and components and it might be a good thing if they don't compete with each other that is....
Old 9th June 2008, 18:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstag View Post
Hold your horses, a TATA purchase of Hummer may make more sense than you realise. Firstly TATA own Land Rover which is already working on a range of technology to make their own cars much more fuel efficient. Secondly Hummer may just come with a factory and some patents but possibly no R&D people. In a sense that would simplify things. It would mean that all Hummer development work could shift to Land Rover. Land Rover could use their own components to turn Hummer into a direct competitor to Jeep. This would give TATA both the lower and premium ends of the SUV markets. Land Rover would get some cost saving and could possibly make some models in the USA to counter the strong dollar.

Hummer is iconic. It's big, it's brash and it's very American. Land Rover is even more iconic but its premium, sophisticated and British. Share dealers and components and it might be a good thing if they don't compete with each other that is....
1) There is no denying from the positive points of Tata taking over Hummer as well. But then doing so at the cost of indian customers is not what we deserve. They are not able to get their own After Sales and Service right, and then buying some other brand ?

2) Even by Americans, Hummer is a gas guzzler and it wasnt exactly that successful. Agree that its perfectly Brashy American, but TATA will gain nothing, I believe. They dont have sufficient tempo to let those brands develop.

The only point that I am trying to prove here is, they should concentrate on first of all improving their own image rather than buying another brand that has image of its own.

Both Tata and Mahindra have lots of things to be sorted out, and if they do, both of them can really have their own independent image just like Hyundai was able to build in India.
Old 10th June 2008, 04:20   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) There is no denying from the positive points of Tata taking over Hummer as well. But then doing so at the cost of indian customers is not what we deserve. They are not able to get their own After Sales and Service right, and then buying some other brand ?

2) Even by Americans, Hummer is a gas guzzler and it wasnt exactly that successful. Agree that its perfectly Brashy American, but TATA will gain nothing, I believe. They dont have sufficient tempo to let those brands develop.

The only point that I am trying to prove here is, they should concentrate on first of all improving their own image rather than buying another brand that has image of its own.

Both Tata and Mahindra have lots of things to be sorted out, and if they do, both of them can really have their own independent image just like Hyundai was able to build in India.
I tend to agree tbh. But I was just trying to make the counter arguement. There could be a case for a TATA purchase of Hummer but in my view they need to focus on making TATA strong at home and abroad whilst alowing JLR to continue developing as it has been...
Old 10th June 2008, 19:45   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstag View Post
I tend to agree tbh. But I was just trying to make the counter arguement. There could be a case for a TATA purchase of Hummer but in my view they need to focus on making TATA strong at home and abroad whilst alowing JLR to continue developing as it has been...
Exactly that is what I mean. First of all TATA should develop its own image through good products and good after sales and service.
I hope that they would leave JLR develop themselves. They have potential and XF is a success.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks