Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2008, 21:33   #16
BHPian

I guess this version will be a big hit in the bling-bling crowd. Soon we'll see the new E-class with DUB wheels, overdone ICE et al.

Over the years, Mercedes has lost its understated elegance. I think its styling is done keeping the Yankee and the Middle-East markets in town. Hence, the excessive bling.

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 10th December 2008 at 21:36.
Old 10th December 2008, 22:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Me likes. The front looks awesome and reminds you of the W221 S Class. The rear could have been better though. But still overall its a nice looking car.
Old 10th December 2008, 22:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

What has MB come to? Only the side profile says Mercedes. The font says Lexus and the tail says Hyundai! Have good designs come to an end.
This is utter foolishness from MB! People who don't know what MB is all about might end up buying this one but an enthusiast shall never go for it.
Old 10th December 2008, 22:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Oh my God. I have to say in every new Mercedes thread that they're going absolutely nowhere. They need a Bangle, maybe.
Old 10th December 2008, 23:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

IMO its too early to judge the car, as the three photo so far out is too small to reveal its details & its low resolution will hide out its beauty.

More over I strongly believe that such cars, especially the three German marques Merc, Beemer & Audi should be seen in flesh to analys its design, as its size is a big factor in its views. For instance, when I saw the new GLK in flesh from Dubai, I was really surpriced, its smaller than I expected, but better looking than in photos.
Old 11th December 2008, 01:16   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanmust View Post
IMO its too early to judge the car, as the three photo so far out is too small to reveal its details & its low resolution will hide out its beauty.

More over I strongly believe that such cars, especially the three German marques Merc, Beemer & Audi should be seen in flesh to analys its design, as its size is a big factor in its views. For instance, when I saw the new GLK in flesh from Dubai, I was really surpriced, its smaller than I expected, but better looking than in photos.
Brother Hani, no one is trying to comment on how different or better it would look in the flesh. What some of us are trying to say is that MB seems to have borrowed design cues from Lexus and Hyundai for the front and tail respectively.
Old 11th December 2008, 02:22   #22
BHPian

First the new SL and now this E class... seems Merc is on its way to design disaster..However I will reserve final comment till I look the car in flesh.
I was thinking of buying it ,but will take a final decision only after seeing and driving it.
Old 11th December 2008, 05:58   #23
BHPian

The back looks exaclty like Kia Amanti. Mercedes designers have spend too much time to make something different and evetually ended up it ugly. I hope they still have time to change it a bit. The current model rear is lot better. But bottom line people will still buy it not for the looks but for its image.
Old 11th December 2008, 14:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
But bottom line people will still buy it not for the looks but for its image.
Wonder what kind of "Image" would it potray..
Old 11th December 2008, 16:49   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPER_SRT View Post
The back looks exaclty like Kia Amanti. Mercedes designers have spend too much time to make something different and evetually ended up it ugly. I hope they still have time to change it a bit. The current model rear is lot better. But bottom line people will still buy it not for the looks but for its image.
If Mercedes continues to make such design gaffes then very soon it shall also lose it's reputation, image and aura which have been built over so many decades. But you still can't be very sure since BMW continues to do good business in spite of the Bangled disasters.
Old 11th December 2008, 17:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Lexus design hadlights and rear looks very plain. Even the new C has a poor rear design.
i didnt expect this kind of rear finish.....But Merc is always master
Old 12th December 2008, 02:16   #27
BHPian

I hate the front as well as the rear. What was Merc thinking? In the past 10 years, they have lost their reliability...it is a known fact. Now, they have even forgotten how to make their cars look like a Mercedes! Heck, cover the badge and the rear could be passed off for a popular Korean make. I prefer the previous generations of the S, E & C to the new. Without a doubt. Can anyone argue on the timelessness of the current E-Class or the W220 S Class? What truly teutonic looking cars.

All the better for BMW, I guess. And if the new 7 series is anything to go by, the next-generation 5 will be wearing a cleaner body style as well.
Old 12th December 2008, 02:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

The entire scenario looks to be so weird. Premium car mfrs. which were highly successful pre-globalisation are losing their charm post-globalisation. The trend of giants like Ford and GM acquiring every 2nd car co. has resulted in cars losing their essence. Jags of today for instance don't seem to be recognisable without their badges/mascots.
Old 12th December 2008, 03:08   #29
BHPian

So disappointing....

However, I think we should refrain from giving the designers stick, because they did give us the New Generation S-Class. And I'm sure all of us will agree that was a masterpiece.

That said, this is by far the worst looking E-class in the recent past. In the last 10-15 years maybe. It's like they designed the front, the middle and the back separately and glued them all together. And even the gluing, they didn't do properly!
Old 12th December 2008, 14:58   #30
BHPian

[quote=f450;1089928]So disappointing....

However, I think we should refrain from giving the designers stick, because they did give us the New Generation S-Class. And I'm sure all of us will agree that was a masterpiece. /quote]

Could'nt agree with you any more... My wife has new one S 320cdi, and I must say its a great car to drive and be in.
By the way I was thinking of putting some pics of my cars and my wife's S class ( as one of the Bhpian has suggested me) but not sure if I should start a new post or should I put them in any existing ones. Moderators please suggest. (All the 3 cars are mercs)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks