Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2005, 12:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

I really don't see the point of having these CL 65s and SL 65s. Their performance is nowhere close to what a 600+ bhp car should have had.

U can have all that power but, on the road, you won't even be able to keep up with 500+ bhp roadsters (Eg: Zonda Roadster).

0-200 in 12.9 is sleeping acceleration.

And i still haven't come to the biggest joke of them all. A limited top speed of 250kmph. LOL

Why have it in the first place? When they know that the first thing the owner is gonna do is get it removed.

And then there's that 5 speed A/T!! Haven't they heard of something called the Manual Transmission?? Or even a DSG (like in the VW Golf) will do just fine.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 19th May 2005 at 12:06.
Old 19th May 2005, 12:47   #32
BHPian

I think these are one of the best things that ever came out. Think about this, to get to 4.4 secs all you have to do is floor it. If its a Zonda or somethin else you have to get the shifts right and there is traction to worry about. But otherwise here the ESP takes care of everything. Even a fool can can take a Ferrari out in these things. Plus if you read the Specs properly it has been stated that the 0-60 mph time of 4.4 secs has been carried out with a 68 Kgs Driver, 90% fuel and 5 Kgs Luggage. So basically it can do about 4.3 or 4.2 secs. Then the thing about the transmission is that their buyers are mainly Americans which comprise of 70% of their total buyers and they love it simple. Also another thing is the amount of torque is just utterly phenomenol that is 1000 NM or 738 lbs. The Engine can actually produce more that is 1200 NM but the thing is that the Tranny cant take it. It just incinerates the clutch. And if its a manual people will destroy the clutch in hardly 1 month.
Old 19th May 2005, 22:47   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbaiya
...And if its a manual people will destroy the clutch in hardly 1 month.
Well, if you got the money to buy the car, andd really wanna race it, I'm sure another bat wad of money to Merc won't hurt that much...esp after shelling out, what? 200,000 odd washingtons?
Old 19th May 2005, 23:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Please the SL 65 and CL 65 are not sports cars they are luxury coupes with loads of power to show off.if u want to set alight the race tracks like Nurbugring then go and buy the SLR(but it is still an auto)or best buy the 582 bhp Mercedes CLK DTM AMG.it will set the track on Fire.
Old 19th May 2005, 23:43   #35
Team-BHP Support

a/t over m/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
And then there's that 5 speed A/T!! Haven't they heard of something called the Manual Transmission??
the same thought used to trouble me a while ago - why NOT a Manual??!

what i did realize was that the majority of people buying these exotic cars are generally middle-aged rich billionaires or their wives who are used to being chauffeured around in luxury cars and it seems they cannot be bothered with changing gears.
also, i might add that wives of these rich billionaires (and i don't refer to all women here), in general, especially in america, are not very excited about the prospect of having to use a third pedal (read clutch) and move a little knobby rod around while driving.
there are hard-core enthusiasts who will buy manual versions of these cars but they form a poor minority and do not affect sales to such an extent for an automobile manufacturer to have a seperate transmission designed for this small group.

ad
Old 19th May 2005, 23:45   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme
best buy the 582 bhp Mercedes CLK DTM AMG.it will set the track on Fire.
Last i heard, it did a 7:54 on the Nordschliefe (20.6 kms). For the sort of money and horsepower, it's not too fast. For instance, a 996 GT3 did the same lap in 7:54 too. For 381 bhp and 80K odd sterling, that's not too bad.

The SLR does the NS lap in 7:40 and guess what a stock GT3 RS does it in, 7:40!!! The GT3 RS might I add was stock except for being shod with Pirelli P Zero Corsa. Just for the record, the same price range CGT did 7:40 too, but on a wet track. In the dry it was a blistering 7:28!

My point being, Mercedes makes great GT cars, but when it claims sports cars in that sort of a price range, the game is taken to a whole different level by other manufacturers.

Last edited by ported_head : 19th May 2005 at 23:51.
Old 20th May 2005, 00:01   #37
Senior - BHPian

Because it is a Production Mercedes and there is Mercedes inside as well like power everything,AC,Stereo,Nav,heated this and that.that is why mercedes is where it is.Porsche makes cars for the tracks only.on road the yneither have good ride,comfort nor many convenient luxury features like mercs(see i am talking of 911 GT3..etc and not that leather clad Canyne or boxter).

and last i heard the CLK DTM could do a 7.30 of NS if they really tried.the main test driver told this to some reporter.also the CLK DTM AMG is electronically limited to 199mph(to protect the SLR).if left to its own devices it could do 220mph+(because it weight way less than the SLR).

Last edited by merve_extreme : 20th May 2005 at 00:02.
Old 20th May 2005, 00:08   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what i did realize was that the majority of people buying these exotic cars are generally middle-aged rich billionaires or their wives who are used to being chauffeured around in luxury cars and it seems they cannot be bothered with changing gears.
That's what i can't understand. Why would a person, used to being chauffeured around need a car with 600+bhp and 1000+nm?

But then again, this is a roadster. And roadsters weren't designed to be chauffeured around.

Even Jason Plato (Fifth gear present and former GT Class Driver) mentioned this during his VW GOLF GTi test. He couldn't understand why companies that make powerful fast cars cant provide a gearbox as smooth and efficient as that on the Golf.

According to him, VW's DSG (direct shift gearbox) is the best he's seen on a road car. It's proven to be faster than even a M/T.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 20th May 2005 at 00:14.
Old 20th May 2005, 00:17   #39
Senior - BHPian

I agree that the GT3 RS is a little extreme, but the GT3 does have it's own share of AC, stereo, sat-nav, etc. Porsche's are fantastic track day machine because they are honed on the NS, it appeals to customers who have different criteria to those of Mercedes buyers, they sacrifice massaging seats for steering feel.

Of course, I dont not agree with you about bad ride and comfort, because we could beat it to death and still not come to a conclusion.

I will believe that the CLK DTM can do a 7:30 when I see it do a 7:30.

I'm sure a lot of cars can do 210+ mph, but you have to sacrifice extreme top speeds for handling at not such extreme speeds. Also if you an find me the tyres for sustained 220+ mph, many would be happy to oblige. Brabus also limits their cars to 194 mph because they don't think the tyres are upto the job.

Just for the record, a 996 Turbo, with 420 bhp and AWD does 7:56 on the NS, not too off CLK DTM's time right, and it comes with all the luxury bits, and COMFORT.
Old 20th May 2005, 00:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last i heard, it did a 7:54 on the Nordschliefe (20.6 kms). For the sort of money and horsepower, it's not too fast. For instance, a 996 GT3 did the same lap in 7:54 too. For 381 bhp and 80K odd sterling, that's not too bad.
Exactly, i've got a vid a stock NSX R doing the rounds in 7:56. just 2 secs off the CLK DTM.

Shan2nu
Old 20th May 2005, 00:28   #41
Senior - BHPian

so it think to beat the Porsche's on race tracks mercedes will have to rebuild the 300 SL of the 50's.anyway's different companies are better in different departments and porsche excels in making trackday rockets.

it will be intresting to see how Porsche makes luxury sedans?
Old 20th May 2005, 00:48   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so it think to beat the Porsche's on race tracks mercedes will have to rebuild the 300 SL of the 50's.anyway's different companies are better in different departments and porsche excels in making trackday rockets.

it will be intresting to see how Porsche makes luxury sedans?

These are not trackday rockets, but UNCONVENTIONAL everyday sports cars and GTs which happen to perform exceptionally on track as well.

Porsche might build luxury sedans, my guess is a 4 door performance sedan is as far as they will go. But going by it's history, it might just beat the pants off every four-door performance sedan that gives it competition.

If it does make a true luxury car, very improbable, but a long shot, it sure as hell won't bother publishing NS lap times for it.
Old 20th May 2005, 00:55   #43
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so GETTING BACK TO THE TOPIC.

The SL 65 might well be the most powerful roadster but is it worth buying?

I don't think so. It lacks the spirit, that makes a roadster, a roadster. It's too sophisticated to be able to enjoy.

It's like the diff between a Mitsu Evo and a Subaru Impreza. The Evo might be more powerful and even quicker around the track but, the Impreza will always remain the enthusiast's favourite.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 20th May 2005 at 00:58.
Old 20th May 2005, 00:59   #44
Senior - BHPian

Evo and impreza are not roadsters.
Old 20th May 2005, 01:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Evo and impreza are not roadsters.
Yes we are well aware of that. It was an analogy. You have to read between the lines sometimes. Everything may not be what it seems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks