Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2009, 00:39   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The old EVO had one biiiig problem. To get that 400bhp they put in a massive turbo charger which would take a long time to spool. I remember one topgear episode where Jeremy demonstrated the turbo lag by putting a Fiat Panda and the EVO in a drag. The car's were put in 3rd gear and started. The Panda disappeared while the EVO was crawling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
I also saw that one. I remembered it vs the Mini but maybe it was a Fiat Panda. Going @60kmph, the Evo didn't manage to even close the gap in the straight on the test track.
Also, he showed how easily the car would stall !
Old 29th May 2009, 00:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Haha.. thats a funny video! So true.. too big an engine can be a hassle at times!
Old 29th May 2009, 10:23   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
You havent gone through all the replies, have you? My point was, if someone's looking for Japanese car that goes around the corners faster than anyone else, whats wrong with the Nissan GTR that comes for almost the same money. To start with the turbo lag problem wont be there because it has a 3.8 Litre V6 lump to start with, second it makes even more power, thirdly is better looking (subjective) and fourth it has pedigree.
Looks like you got me wrong. I never said GT-R would be a buy from the head. It definitely would be one from the heart. That does not prevent the Evo from being one from the heart as well.
2ndly, read my post again. The Nissan 350Z was in the range of 35-40K Euro. The GT-R is well over 50K Euro so it is much more expensive than most Evo FQ models. But even if the MR-FQ 400 costs the same as GT-R, this only highlights that anyone who buys it will buy it from the heart, or ?
Sure, if one can buy a Veyron, one'll buy it from the heart as well.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 29th May 2009 at 10:36.
Old 29th May 2009, 11:59   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
The old EVO had one biiiig problem. To get that 400bhp they put in a massive turbo charger which would take a long time to spool. I remember one topgear episode where Jeremy demonstrated the turbo lag by putting a Fiat Panda and the EVO in a drag. The car's were put in 3rd gear and started. The Panda disappeared while the EVO was crawling.

What a way to prove his point ! Why not all in first; and will one across such a situation on a daily drive?
Old 29th May 2009, 17:54   #35
BHPian

one question: Indeed it's a dream car and worth owning. But where in India can we unleash the potential of this machine and how fast can we go on indian roads?
It would be like owning a leopard in an apparment!

PS: No offence to motorsport enthusiasts, the above lines are for car buffs!

Last edited by abhijeetsng : 29th May 2009 at 17:56.
Old 29th May 2009, 21:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
one question: Indeed it's a dream car and worth owning. But where in India can we unleash the potential of this machine and how fast can we go on indian roads?
It would be like owning a leopard in an apparment!

PS: No offence to motorsport enthusiasts, the above lines are for car buffs!
Valid point, but conditions are improving steadily. There are some deserted/less-frequented stretches in/around various cities where people test the capabilities of their cars. However, that is not safe for obvious reasons.

But even in other countries, although the road conditions are better, the speed limit enforcement is much stricter (if you leave apart unrestricted sections of autobahns). Thus, the only place, irrespective of country, to test the cars' real potential is the race track or the drag strip or the drift lands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
What a way to prove his point ! Why not all in first; and will one across such a situation on a daily drive?
+1

That is just another stunt from Mr. Clarkson. If I know that a car suffers from massive turbo lag while puttering in third gear, why will I drive it that way? I'll just downshift and zoom off.

Last edited by salilpawar1 : 29th May 2009 at 21:53.
Old 29th May 2009, 21:54   #37
BHPian

Awesome . Mitsu is back and with vengance ! . If only Maikkenen could blast it around montecarlo or on the ice in Finland . Subaru do you have an answer ?
Old 30th May 2009, 14:14   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Subaru do you have an answer ?
Subaru has so lost the plot. Last gen STi may be ugly, but she had character. The latest isn't even a sedan and looks terrible!
Old 1st June 2009, 17:50   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
is it Father of Quacks -- well only GTO can tell
I love this car !! One of my friends has a souped-up Evo 7 and has let me drive it once- you can actually feel the G-force ! Evo - X - God, makes you salivate : And I am a newbie- so more than my membership's worth to elaborate the FQ; But the Q means Quick
Old 1st June 2009, 23:14   #40
BHPian

A two litre 400hp is a dream come true for any petrol head, but the mechanisms involved (short stroke cycles, massive turbo,etc) to make an inline engine produce that much power, means that with this sort of stress the engine would definately take a thrashing everytime i take her for a ride. Looks like a rag-tag arrangement for me.This car is only for those boy racers growing up on a diet of "The Fast and the Furious" who dream of thrashing their cars just for the pink slip of a bigger and better car.

Since i anyways can't afford to buy any one of the two , I can afford to rather prefer the super car veyron. It is a more elegant piece on engineering. 8.0 L W-16 engine - 16 cylinders in two banks of eight cylinders, 4 turbochargers, 10 radiators, 1010 hp, 1250 Nm, 1.18g accelaration. Every other car is just an excuse.period.

(Ya, ya, i know the price,maybe wrong comparo)
Old 2nd June 2009, 13:07   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Valid point, but conditions are improving steadily. There are some deserted/less-frequented stretches in/around various cities where people test the capabilities of their cars. However, that is not safe for obvious reasons.

But even in other countries, although the road conditions are better, the speed limit enforcement is much stricter (if you leave apart unrestricted sections of autobahns). Thus, the only place, irrespective of country, to test the cars' real potential is the race track or the drag strip or the drift lands.

+1

That is just another stunt from Mr. Clarkson. If I know that a car suffers from massive turbo lag while puttering in third gear, why will I drive it that way? I'll just downshift and zoom off.
I agree. I mean, whole of London has a speed limit of 30 mph and there are plans now to reduce it to 20- 20 for God's sake ! You wouldn't buy an EVO with the main aim of losing your license ( that's just one of the side effects ! ) Even the outskirts of London are littered with speed cameras which catch you out whether you are 4 miles over the speed limit or 40. The best way is on the track or between speed cameras ...... !
Old 7th June 2009, 06:04   #42
BHPian

The Nismo Z would be a much better choice... both interior and exterior.

As for 'FQ' I would go with 'Ferrari Quasher'.
Old 7th June 2009, 06:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

WoW!!! the look on a ferrari owner's face when the EVO overtakes.. priceless!!
the mivec's were always brilliant and no wonder it could handle the extra power without much problems.
One of my Fav Cars just got better
Old 8th June 2009, 16:58   #44
BHPian

Hey guys, when I recently visited the Mitsubishi dealer here in Chennai for a test drive of the Lancer Cedia, the salesman told me that Mitsubishi is bringing the Evo X officially by next year!!! He said that it'll cost somewhere about Rs40lacs. Can anyone confirm this??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks