Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2006, 23:52   #556
Distinguished - BHPian

hey great shots...what kinda registration is that on the sprite though?
Old 25th September 2006, 00:31   #557
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
ID 140 : Lamborghini Jarama

That's correct well done Sajo!!

Jarama (327 Made 1970-76)

The Jarama (pronounced Yah-RAH-mah) was named for a district in Spain renowned for breeding fighting bulls, and not for the F1 track outside Madrid as many believe. It was first introduced to the public in the spring of 1970 at the Geneva Motor Show. Styling by Bertone's Marcello Gandini resulted in a roomy, glassy coupe deliberately unspectacular, maybe even somewhat mediocre in design but one that surely must have had some influence on the later Toyota Celica/Supra line and MVS Venturi.

Although the body was designed and pressed by Bertone at its Grugliasco factory, final assembly continued in the hands of Marazzi. The Jarama was built on a shortened version of the Espada's sheet steel platform that Bertone was still building for Lamborghini. The Jarama chassis was shortened by 10.6 inches but the rest of the engine and running gear were virtually untouched. Remarkably though, the Jarama weighed in as one of the heaviest Lamborghini's ever built even with the missing midsection.

The Jarama was as magnificent as any with plenty of performance and even wider, stickier Michelin tyres on Miura wheels to transfer the power to the road to a claimed maximum of 162mph. The excessive weight at 1540kg (3388lbs) made fuel consumption quite excessive. It was a fast, easy-to-drive and comfortable car to drive over long distances and stable even at high speeds. The rear seat provided ample head and legroom and the folding rear seats gave plenty of extra cargo room if needed.

ENGINE

Type 60° V12 Front Mounted DOHC per bank
Valves
2 per cylinder
Bore/Stroke 82mm x 62mm
Capacity
3,929cc
Carburation
6 Twin-throat Webers 40 DCOE 20-21
Max power350bhp @ 7,500rpm
Torque
280 ft/lbs @ 5,500rpm
Compression10.7:1

TRANSMISSION

Gearbox 5-speed + reverse All-Syncromesh
Clutch
Single dry plate hydraulically operated

PERFORMANCE

Top speed 245 km/h / 152 mph

400GT Jarama S (150 Made 1973-76)
The Jarama S or GTS model was introduced to the public at the Geneva Motor in 1972 and saw only 150 examples built.

The S was easy to spot by its large hood scoop between the NACA ducts at the front and the air outlets on the side of the front fenders just behind the wheel arches. Parallel action windshield wipers replaced the oposing wiper of the first series cars. New wheels as found on the Espada replaced the earlier Miura wheels on the S.

Inside the car the dash received some modification and the wood pieces were replaced with aluminum. Switches were also changed on the dash for easier access and climate control was noticably changed. More room for rear passengers was found by thinning the front seatbacks.

Engine modifications to the S gave 15 extra horsepower bringing it up to 365 bhp at 7500rpm. Torque remained the same though the weigh was dropped a modest 80kg allowing top speed to claimb to 161mph from 152mph on the first series cars.

In all the improvements made a difference to an otherwise good car. Heat and noise insulation was a welcomed improvement as was the power steering that soon became standard equpment. A Chrysler TorqueFlight automatic transmission was soon made avaiable as were removable roof panels. Only one Jarama is know to posess the latter.

ENGINE

Type
60° V12 Front Mounted DOHC per bank
Valves
2 per cylinder
Bore/Stroke
82mm x 62mm
Capacity 3,929cc
Carburation
6 Twin-throat Webers 40 DCOE 20-21
Max power
365bhp @ 7,500rpm
Torque
280 ft/lbs @ 5,500rpm
Compression
10.7:1

TRANSMISSION

Gearbox 5-speed + reverse All-Syncromesh
Clutch
Single dry plate hydraulically operated

PERFORMANCE

Top speed 260 km/h / 161 mph

177 GT's and only 150 of the GTS model were built, for a total of 327 Jaramas.

**All data courtersy Lamborghiniregistry.com**
Old 25th September 2006, 00:56   #558
Senior - BHPian

Hey hey hey guys, one day i dont log on and gawd such a lot of IDs have gone by. Seriously i knew all except the V-12 lagonda. loved its period stands tough. and Cant believe no one guessed the two WAQT cars...i swear honestly i knew them. watched the movie a few months ago...what a classic and the cars were what drew my attention immediately. The Fiats now in bombay in white colour and the healey was if im not mistaken in poona .... not sure. The fiat was unmistakable but if someone had doubte the monogram of the yello healey and the wheel caps gave the car staright away.....anyways its too late....bring on the cars guys....cheers...good to know this threads been revived again after a long time in the cold storage.
iF anyones seen aadmi *ing dilip kumar... a 1947-48 buick8 was thrown in the ravines to show a crash...whatta waste of such a great machine. and what about the 47 roadmaster convertible in Shalimaar.... wowie.
Old 25th September 2006, 01:01   #559
Senior - BHPian

V16 any clues about ID 141?
Old 25th September 2006, 01:04   #560
Senior - BHPian

i think so just gimme a coulpe o mins...am studying it a little closely
Old 25th September 2006, 02:05   #561
Senior - BHPian

ID 141:
After a lot of pondering ive reached the conclusion ( may be wrong)that ID 141 is not a maserati. Note the twin bulges on the bonnet for the lights and the engine gave it away ..... I had my confusion about the maserati (rear lights) and the Lamborghini Miura. I think this was a prototype and never made. not too sure about the year but looking at the exhausts which are not quads...guessing its late sixties, to early 70s so my moneys on the lamby all right. a lamby miura........ V-12 and all that...difficult one but i think i got it right

Last edited by V-16 : 25th September 2006 at 02:08.
Old 25th September 2006, 02:38   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16
ID 141:
After a lot of pondering ive reached the conclusion ( may be wrong)that ID 141 is not a maserati. Note the twin bulges on the bonnet for the lights and the engine gave it away ..... I had my confusion about the maserati (rear lights) and the Lamborghini Miura. I think this was a prototype and never made. not too sure about the year but looking at the exhausts which are not quads...guessing its late sixties, to early 70s so my moneys on the lamby all right. a lamby miura........ V-12 and all that...difficult one but i think i got it right
WOW V16 Great Work It is indeed the Maborghini Miura P400 Roadster!!

Full history:

One of the most exclusive Miura's, still in existance, is the Miura P400 Roadster, which was presented on the 1968 Brussels Auto Show.
Designed and built by bertone, this open version was not a normal Lamborghini with the roof removed. Unlike the 350 GTS presented by Touring a few years earlier, the Miura Roadster was almost completely redesigned, with excellent taste as always.

The complete rear section of the car was modified, the rear louvres covering the engine were removed, the tail lights changed and the exaust pipes now went through the lower grill. Various small changes were made to the rear section of the original Miura, like lowering the roofline by 3 cm, and the angle of the windscreen was changed. All this was necessary to eliminate undesired turbulence at 300 Km/h even without the roof, which was actually never even built.

The interior also had to be modified, because the switches from the overhead console had to be put somewhere on the dashboard, and the steering wheel showed a great similarity with the one of the Marzal and the Espada prototype.

The car was finished in a bright-metallic azure, while the interior was upholstered in a magnoliacoloured leather (just like on the first 35O GTV). The impact was very great, but this was to be another one-off, many owners requested a similar car, but Lamborghini never delivered a Miura Roadster or even a replica, but Bertone had never even designed a top for this prototype Miura.

The Miura Roadster was also known as the Spider or Spyder, but its official denomination was the Roadster, this original car was soon sold to the ILZRO, the International Lead and Zinc Research Corporation. This company was already delivering various metals to the car industry (aluminium, zinc and alloys).

They decided to buy a Miura some time earlier to reconstruct it using their own metals and technology, to show the car on various auto shows and display the use of their metal alloys.

The ILZRO was able to acquire the Miura Roadster since Lamborghini didn't authorise the modification of a production Miura, and Bertone began working on it as soon as the ILZRO payed it. It was completely disassembled and all possible parts were changed into zinc-plated, chrome-plated, polished or remanufactured using some metal made by the ILZRO, some of these items included the carburators stacks, exhaust system, radiator, bumpers, switches and both front and rear bumpers.
These modifications were all directed by John Foster, who was actually a designer for Ford. But the result was rather special, the Miura Roadster was converted into an showcar, a Miura replica almost.

Bertone usually used bright colors and contrasting black detail work on the prototype, but this car featured chrome details, and was finished in a metallic green sprayed over a black metallic base giving a strange dark green pearl like color, with a contrasting brown suede upholstery it looked really nice.
The name also changed, now into the 'Zn-75', a name taken from the periodic table of metals used for this modificaton.

After the Miura Roadster was presented and the factory made no intentions of actually producing an open-top Miura, several owners had their original cars modified into Roadster replica's, one of the more famous is the white Miura transformed by Herbert Hahne, the German Lamborghini importer, and also featured wider wheel rims and other bodywork changes making it look like an open-top Jota. Only one Roadster exists, and all the replica's only lower the value of the original Miura on which they are built.

*Data courtersy www.lambocars.com*
Old 25th September 2006, 06:37   #563
Ram
Senior - BHPian

ID:142 is a 1929 Bentley Speed Six built by Gurney Nutting.

Love those little windshieldlets.

It has a 110 bhp 4-cyl. 16-valve 4500 cc engine with a 4-sp. manual gearbox. This 1650 kg. car has a top speed of 151 km/h.

The chassis is of steel channels and all 4 wheels have drum brakes.

Powered by an 8-litre engine, this Bentley was in a fatal crash in the 1932 Brooklands race. The parts of that car in the crash were used to repair other Bentleys. So the authenticity of this car is in question. Race cars sometimes evolve over time into a number of various incarnations using all manner of non-original parts, while always retaining the identity of the original car.

Today the car has a 4.5 litre engine.

Ram
Old 25th September 2006, 10:07   #564
Distinguished - BHPian

ID 142

the original bentley, pre rolls royce days, was a mean machine indeed...back in the day the famous "bentley boys" even raced a locomotive...

a very large number of cars have been destroyed or badly damaged over the years, and its sad when such efforts are taken to bring a car upto this standard, and then is written off as a replica...just as this car in particular was subject to...
Old 25th September 2006, 10:31   #565
Senior - BHPian

ID 143

Old 25th September 2006, 10:36   #566
Distinguished - BHPian

ID 143

Bugatti EB 118...concept car...around 98 i think...
Old 25th September 2006, 10:55   #567
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville
ID 143

Bugatti EB 118...concept car...around 98 i think...
its a Buggati EB 218

nd thats a Bugatti EB 110

I guess you got the two names mixed up
Old 25th September 2006, 10:57   #568
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey great shots...what kinda registration is that on the sprite though?
I don't know Karl. British plates, maybe? In various shots in the movie, Waqt, there is lemon-cream colored 1962 Healey-Sprite with an Indian number plate, this British? number plate and there are also shots with no front number plate.

In any case, the Italian Fiat 1200 spider was a more capable speedster, more agile, better powered and exuding more character. In every shot in the movie when you hear the Fiat, she screams out unmistakeably as a Weber DCOE aspirated Fiat engine !!!

Ram

"An Italian woman at 20 is like ice, at 30 she is warm and at 40 she is hot", Italian actress, Gina Lollobrigida once said.
Old 25th September 2006, 10:57   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

those darned typos....;-)
Old 25th September 2006, 11:57   #570
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ID 142

the original bentley, pre rolls royce days, was a mean machine indeed...
back in the day the famous "bentley boys" even raced a locomotive...
Karl around my 11th birthday (1968), Bombay was on the route of the London-Sydney marathon organized by the British Daily-Express publication. There was a racing green 1930 Bentley tourer with an 8-litre engine that participated and showed up at Bombay. Saw it at the show at Gateway of India.

Imagine driving in an open car with first-world war leather jacket, gloves, muffler and rum for warmth! -- driving through the biting-cold Mont Blanc tunnel, the snow and icy roads of Italy, the rough roads of Yugoslavia, Bulgaria and Turkey, particularly unsurfaced roads through Sivas and Erzincan.

The Bentley dropped out of competition before Erzincan, but drove on regardless,
through Tabriz, the treacherous icy Alborz mountains of northern Iran, Afghanistan, over the Khyber pass to Pakistan, then though New Delhi, Agra, Indore to Bombay.

If I remember right, the Bentley was shipped by air back to England from Bombay.

Ram

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks