Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Ferrari F430 or the Gallardo. Which would you buy? - Can the F430 fight the Gallardo?
Ferrari F430 50 53.19%
Lamborghini Gallardo 44 46.81%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2004, 01:14   #31
BANNED

ferrari RED. cuz i wana say. ITS A FERRARI
Old 18th October 2004, 18:27   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ported_head @ Oct. 10 2004,12:25)]Carrying OFF TOPIC, X-Machine:
since you said you drove a 1992 Carrera RS, im figuring you drove the 964 Carrera 2 RS. 3.6 litre flat-six and 260 bhp, pulls 162 mph. DId you know there was a version of the 964, called the 3.8 RS, only 300 bhp, but it lapped the Ring in 7:40 on slicks, as fast as the CGT was in wet. Sadly only 100 were ever made. Talk about being exclusive.
Well Ported,my Dad told me that its a 1992 RS and only 2000 of it were designed and sold.So i really dunt think i drove the car u mentioned.Correct me if i'm wrong in that.
I was'nt an avid Porsche fan until i got my hands on this car.....

X
Old 23rd October 2004, 21:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

i don't understand what's with u guys wanting a lamborghini. if its lamborghini.... why isn't schumacher driving one?

a ferrari is a ferrari always....its the brand which shud also be considered. its the mark which keeps millions including me breathing.

the ferrari 430 wins over the lambo anyday.

SCARLET RED ROCKS!!!
Old 24th October 2004, 15:51   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]Well Ported,my Dad told me that its a 1992 RS and only 2000 of it were designed and sold.So i really dunt think i drove the car u mentioned.Correct me if i'm wrong in that.
Well I'm not sure how many Carrera 2 RS were made, but I'm pretty sure the car you drove was the one i mentioned. The car in the picture is a 964 Carrera RS. These were made in 1992. Will try and find out how many were produced, but it's currently on my list of my favourite Porsche cars.
Old 24th October 2004, 15:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ] don't understand what's with u guys wanting a lamborghini. if its lamborghini.... why isn't schumacher driving one?

a ferrari is a ferrari always....its the brand which shud also be considered.
To many people Lamborghini would be the same as Ferrari is to you, don't you think?
And does it really matter what Schumacher drives, i heard at home he drives an Audi RS6. And Audi owns Lamborghini. So you could say he drives a Lamborghini too.
Every brand has an aura about itself, what matters is what appeals to you. Many people including myself prefer the raw, uncivilised, brutal, in-your-face cars that the Lamborghinis used to be. Too bad they don't make them like that anymore. Ferrari's on the other hand were beautiful and elegant machines, pure racing pedigree, and deep V12 baritones. Take your pick.
Old 24th October 2004, 16:04   #36
BHPian

Hey nitrous, I go with ya! It's the Ferrari 4 me any day and I just love the F430 , I basically feel the Gallardo in no match for the F430.
Old 24th October 2004, 16:08   #37
Senior - BHPian

Alright X-Machine, i did some reading up. I hope this sorts out the confusion.
I 1992, Porsche introduced 3 versions for the 964 Carrera RS cars, for every country besides the USA.
These were optional M versions:
1.Carrera Cup Vehicle, option M001
2.Carrera RS Touring, option M002
3.Carrera RS Competition, option M003
Now, including the Carrera RS Basic, M002 and M003 were street legal globally except the USA. The M001 was not street legal and was built for racing customers only. To further check up, the car you drove should be classified as a Carrera RS Basic and have VIN numbers with a 9-series thirteenth digit.
The break up for the production numbers are:
1.1916 Basic version cars (including 72 right-hand drive).
2.76 Touring version M002 cars (including 11 right-hand drive).
3.290 Competition version M003 cars.
Do let me know if you can confirm this, or there is anything else that i should know.

Old 24th October 2004, 16:21   #38
Senior - BHPian

Since we are talking about 964s:

69 Signs that you are a 964 Addict.

1.You reach 80 km/h in town just to raise the rear wing
2.You consider ABS warning light an annoying thing
3.You consider fan belt sensor the cutest invention ever
4.When you see another 964, you check on the rear badge if it’s a 2 or a 4
5.The word “Cup” only means a kind of alloy to you
6.You asked a friend to raise rear wing and watched the mechanism with open lid
7.Seat adjustment takes you half an hour
8.You lower rear seats even if you have to load a briefcase
9.Moquette in your front boot is cleaner than in your bedroom
10.You proudly show to friends Porsche badged mini-compressor
11.You believe temperature on heater knob is really temperature inside car
12.You’re planning to buy a whale-tail
13.You scare friends by suddenly pushing door lock button
14.You consider 3.0 SC too old and 993 not enough wild
15.Your car spares dealer is no longer puzzled when you ask for 12 spark plug
16.When approaching a stoplight...you watch closely in the rear view mirror as the people behind you point and exclaim, "WOW, look at that!" - as your electric tail lowers right in front of them
17.You can spell "Freudenberg" without blinking an eye.
18.You're proud to state "My Car Doesn't Leak"!
19.You've got $2k stashed in your safe (that your wife doesn't know about) for the inevitable DMF replacement.
20.You've memorized the Porsche part number for the dual distributor vent kit.
21.You know you can just swap your Potenza S-03's on your C4 with Blizzaks and kick any SUV's ### in the snow.
22.You're now used to and have gotten over the rest of the Porsche crowd calling your car the "Ugly Duckling of the 911 World".
23.You've priced the 3.8 litre piston and cylinder kits at least once.
24.You publicly state you love your 964 and would never get rid of it, but secretly you'd trade her away in a second for a mint 964 3.6 Turbo S if you could afford it..
25.You keep the revs below 4000rpm for the first 1 hour and 35 mins of any drive - 'cos that's how long it takes for the oil to warm up....
26.First purchase is a Chamois sponge to get rid of all that condensation in the winter
27.Always travel with a fully charged mobile phone, because it's German it should be reliable, in the real world it never is.
28.You lose a nights sleep because it has developed a clunk which you imagine is going to cost £2,000 + to fix (it ends up being a loose engine undertray!!)
29.Although you would never like to admit it, you secretly hanker after a 993 or in darker, weaker moments a 996 with a GT3 body kit!!
30.You say you really like Guards Red, but you would never order a new BMW in solid red!!!
31.It takes you about 15 mins, 3 loo rolls, running in and out of the car and wrestling with a 4 foot long dipstick when topping up the oil.
32.Your clutch has no resistance for the first half inch of travel and you don't care.
33.In the face of universal objective criticism you convince yourself that the dash switchgear layout is ergonomic perfection.
34.You've never dared ask 'why not turn the engine round, lose the useless rear seats, and...hey presto....you've got a mid-engine supercar?'
35.You just have one more look at it before you go to sleep ... (I meant your car, you maniacs !!)
36.Your wife asks you : "If you had to make a choice ... me or your car ?"
37.At night when nobody sees you, you can sit for 10 minutes in front of your car just to admire the curves
38.You think that--without a doubt--the 964 is the most attractive 911 ever produced. And, you're not just saying this because you own one.
39.Every time you see another 964 on the street, it makes your heart beat a little faster.
40.At a stoplight, with all eyes on you and the car, you feel flush with supreme confidence.
41.You're starting to get used to the fact that the exhaust exits from the RIGHT side!
42.You can't get away from the habit of leaving your wife's stomach behind when pulling away just to hear her squeal ....
43.Having that "don't even try" look in your eyes when a BMW driver pulls up next to you looking for a race!
44.When looking at your car from the back, you can't remember when you've ever seen a sexier pair of hips!
45.Your accused of rubbing your car more than you wife
46.You have a secret credit card (hidden from wife, statements sent to your office) to pay for performance enhancements
47.You know why the ignition key hole is on the "wrong" side.
48.Your two most-used acronyms are DMF and AMF. 'Dual Mass Flywheel' and 'Adios, M***** F*****.
49.When you decide that your next 911 will be a 964, NOT a 993
50.You open your window when you're driving thru' a tunnel or a narrow street just to hear the sound of the engine bouncing back to you
51.When you saw 'Sexy Beast,' you didn't understand the film's title until the last scene
52.When you're comfortable with the fact that many of the "brake ducts" offered on the market don't actually do a damn thing for brake cooling on a 964...they just look cool!
53.You know that what some illiterate folks call an "ugly duckling" is The most Aerodynamic, Slickest CD (.32) body Porsche has ever sold on a Real air cooled production 911!
54.You open your cab top, sometimes also in winter, to hear full engine sound
55.You think a non-adjustable wheel is normal in a supercar
56.You have an open account with a local circus contortionist to provide interior cleaning of the rear window, as needed.
57.You love the high pitched whine of the curved fan blades. (I wonder if you can hear it only in the car?)
58.When you have a 993 and you lust over a 964 3.6 Turbo S
59.You open sunroof to suck hot air because engine compartment fan doesn't work
60.You know your VIN number by heart
61.You know your VIN number by heart and you know what groups of numbers stand for
62.You know what a 965 is
63.You decide to sell it, but then each week you somehow forget to advertise it properly so it ends up staying in the garage...
64.You better understand the expression "you want to play, you got to pay" (but don't seem to care much).
65.When someone says to you "how's the baby" & you smile to yourself thinking of that flat six...
66.So you tell your wife you only want 2 kids 'cos you can't fit any more into the back of a 911
67.When you laugh out loud on your own in your car after you've had a long blast.
68.So you enjoy washing the car and view it as some sort of bonding experience with your car touching all those curves
69.You start to believe that a repair bill of £500 "is quite reasonable, and less than I expected"

I think, someday i'm going to get banned for making every topic a Porsche topic.
Old 27th October 2004, 00:50   #39
Senior - BHPian

It's the Ferrari for me. Nothing can beat the charm and the excitement of driving a Ferrari. Man...just the name is reason enough to buy one!
Old 27th October 2004, 01:25   #40
BHPian

Two very nice cars these. Love both the makers to death, but the Lambo name and character has always left me a wee bit more weaker in the knees. But the present day devils, though still wild, have lost a large dose of their Lambo-ness. Like JC says, the Gallardo is what you get when the Germans make the food and the packaging . Lambos stand for brute power and not much for going round corners. That's where the stallion excels. So they present two schools of thought - one for raw strength and the other for finesse. Tifosi, please forgive me for saying this, but the 430 looks like a bug with none of the panache of the 348, 355 or the 360.
Just my 2c, I think both of them have diluted a bit of their heritage, looks-wise or character-wise........but still damn fine machines. Hell, why am I criticizing them, I cant even think about affording either. But if I could, it would have to be the Lambo.
Old 27th October 2004, 07:43   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ported_head @ Oct. 24 2004,14:38)]Alright X-Machine, i did some reading up. I hope this sorts out the confusion.
I 1992, Porsche introduced 3 versions for the 964 Carrera RS cars, for every country besides the USA.
These were optional M versions:
1.Carrera Cup Vehicle, option M001
2.Carrera RS Touring, option M002
3.Carrera RS Competition, option M003
Now, including the Carrera RS Basic, M002 and M003 were street legal globally except the USA. The M001 was not street legal and was built for racing customers only. To further check up, the car you drove should be classified as a Carrera RS Basic and have VIN numbers with a 9-series thirteenth digit.
The break up for the production numbers are:
1.1916 Basic version cars (including 72 right-hand drive).
2.76 Touring version M002 cars (including 11 right-hand drive).
3.290 Competition version M003 cars.
Do let me know if you can confirm this, or there is anything else that i should know.
Hey thanks Ported for that amazing research.
Well i guess ur bang on.I drove the basic one.And it sure left me spellbound.I will be putting up a review and more pics real soon.Too busy with work and have no time for it as of now.But real soon.
Thanks again.

X
Old 23rd November 2004, 10:22   #42
Senior - BHPian

Between the Enzo and the Murcielago, i'd blindly take the Enzo, but between these 2, the Gallardo will do.

Shan2nu
Old 27th November 2004, 05:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Enzo cannot be compared to the Murci
the price difference is not just double, but the enzo costs more than 3 times the price of a Murci.

I understand that in the supercar category , price does not matter to ppl, but still....

A fair comparision would be between the Murci and the 612

Old 20th December 2004, 10:59   #44

i would definately buy the ferrari f340,coz it looks good and IT IS A FERRARI!!!
Old 20th December 2004, 11:27   #45
Senior - BHPian

Just downloaded the 5th gear test of the F430 and boy is that car awesome or what. No doubt that the 430 will make Lamborghini start thinking of what to do next. Just hammers it down that it will be the F430 for me

Dippy

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks