Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2013, 22:03   #2461
Senior - BHPian

Re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterMorgan View Post
Hi guys, could you please suggest me few respectable,economical and trust worthy after market alloy brands. I am looking to upsize and upgrade tires of my Jetta SE.

Currently it is on OEM 16 inch steel rims. I am willing to go for 17 inch.

What is the approx price range i should be looking at with complete installation? Also, what do i do with current wheels and rims, do they buy them back here?

Edit: Please also suggest options for after market music system upgrade. Nothing high end but should have all the features like navigation, bluetooth streaming etc.

Thanks!
You haven't mentioned model year, so i took it as a newer one.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resu...All&sort=Brand

The link above gives you plenty of choice. Apart from this, you should visit a wheel store and check them out. Tire rack has many installers throughout USA. You can visit them and see what they have in stock. Possibly they will give you a great deal with variety of selection and installation option. If you go cheap on the alloys, chances are it will damage easily. If you plan to keep it for long time, spend a little more on well known brands like American Racing, BBS, Enkei and others.

For music system upgrade, you have plenty of choice. You will need to figure out your budget as it is easy to go overboard. Are you eventually planning to replace the speakers too? Are you planning to install a sub woofer too?

New Double din units with Nav and BT from Pioneer and Kenwood will easily run you $600-$700. Installation is usually $100 and if any other adapters are require it will be a little bit more. So you if you want a good stereo, expect to spend atleast $800 that suits your requirements. I have seen many happy JVC DD receiver owners. Those are <$600 with installs.

In Sac, a local audio shop quoted me $800 for Kenwood DD With BT and non-Nav with installation including adapters and faceplate and stuff.

This is the one

http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-DDX790...enwood+excelon

My suggestion would be to find couple of good installers, see-play-hear what they have in stock and get a good deal on installation and everything. Most of the time, it works out good. If you are DIYer, get the above one and do everything yourself and have fun.

Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
My sister is in Allentown, Pennysylvania from the last 2 weeks and now plans on buying a certified used car for around 18-20k. She'd be there for at least a year along with my brother-in-law and 2 yr old niece.

She sent me an email stating that people there say that one shouldn't buy any car more than the KBB pricing - http://www.kbb.com/

Questions -
1. She plans on buying an SUV, are SUVs cheaper when compared to Sedans?
2. Any advantage of buying an SUV over a Sedan?
3. Is KBB the right benchmark for certified used car's prices?
4. Any reliable brands? Should I ask her to look out for service centers nearby and then choose the same brand's vehicle?
5. What should be the year of manufacture beyond which she shouldn't consider buying any vehicle? Should she also consider not going beyond certain no. of miles that vehicle has run?
1. Honestly, its region dependent. A good 4x4 SUV will be little bit expensive than a fwd sedan in cold climates and a sedan will have better resale in hot climates. Atleast that is how it is in Nor-Cal.

2. There is a huge thread in t-bhp itself about SUV vs Sedan. May be you can get some pointers in that thread. But Vineeth has summed it up perfectly.

3. KBB is overrated. Go for Nadaguides or other whole sale places to find pricing. Include $1k more for maintenance on whole sale prices and you will have a good deal. Usually when dealing with a dealer, try to get them to private pricing of KBB. Negotiate to best of your capability but if its a matter of $100-$200, let it go if the vehicle checks out perfect. Don't forget to add 10% on the final price. So if $20k is your budget, look for a SUV/Sedan that is priced around $18k in order to have some room for negotiation.

4. Reliability of all newer vehicles have gone up a lot especially in the ball park your budget it. You cannot go wrong with a certified vehicle as it usually has extended warranty.

5. Try to avoid rental vehicles that are sold as certified. You will find those a lot in Hyundai, Toyota, Ford and Chevrolet dealership. Most dealers reveal it on the car itself but if it is not written, don't be afraid to ask and check carfax.

Apart from that, any 2010+ vehicle with less than <50k miles on odo will serve your sister for atleast 3 yrs.

$18k-$20k should give you plenty of options as listed by Kraft.wagen. Best is to test drive some, short list them and choose.

Honestly though, if your sis is gonna be there for a year or so, its better to spend $5k-$6k (Max $8k) and get a beater SUV from a private party. You avoid pay 10% tax, interest to banks, and money lost won't be huge when selling it a year later. Doesn't make sense to go through hassle of dealers, banks to get deals for just a year. Just my opinion. YMMV.

Last edited by chevelle : 24th April 2013 at 22:09.
chevelle is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 22:12   #2462
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, could you please suggest me few respectable,economical and trust worthy after market alloy brands. I am looking to upsize and upgrade tires of my Jetta SE.

Currently it is on OEM 16 inch steel rims. I am willing to go for 17 inch.

What is the approx price range i should be looking at with complete installation? Also, what do i do with current wheels and rims, do they buy them back here?

Edit: Please also suggest options for after market music system upgrade. Nothing high end but should have all the features like navigation, bluetooth streaming etc.

Thanks!
Have you looked at tirerack.com?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/resul...All&sort=Price

You can see the wheels on the car (pick the color to get better results)

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/MiniW...d=true&sw=1280

Get an idea of the design and then you can look at various online retailers to get the best price.
Old 24th April 2013, 22:37   #2463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
Have you looked at tirerack.com?
Thanks, I did look at tirerack. Couldn't find the consumer reviews for different alloy brands, hence the query.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
You haven't mentioned model year, so i took it as a newer one.

If you plan to keep it for long time, spend a little more on well known brands like American Racing, BBS, Enkei and others.
The model is Jetta 2.5 SE 2012. I do plan to keep it for long time. Any pointers on how to get rid of old tires and rims?

I liked these two , in my budget out of the brands you have mentioned above:

Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-alloy1.png  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-alloy2.png  

Old 24th April 2013, 23:12   #2464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The model is Jetta 2.5 SE 2012. I do plan to keep it for long time. Any pointers on how to get rid of old tires and rims?

I liked these two , in my budget out of the brands you have mentioned above:

Alloys are too much of a personal taste and hence you may not find reviews for all. I liked the second one more.

Use CL and Jetta forums to get rid of your old tires and rims. There are multiple forums that will help you get good price. Since its a popular model, you may get good calls from CL if you price it right.

I suggest you keep factory alloys instead of selling it. Helps in future when you are selling it. You can ask a little bit more because you have 2-wheels option. Negotiate an exchange of tires and wheels with local installer if they are willing to do it.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2013, 23:47   #2465
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I am posting this on behalf of my friend who has recently moved to the US and needs help.

"Planning to buy / rent a used car in Phoenix. Intend to use it for at least 6 months. Low budget ~5K [as I am saving for a Motorcycle]
Prefer Toyota / Honda etc. Will it be better to rent ? [ $300 + insurance for 6 months for a 2001 Toyota , $400 for 2007 Altima ]. Will use it for daily commute to office only.
I know this has been discussed before, could some one point me to thread which explains the checks I need to do before buying a car and other points to keep in mind. [I am a little cautious as my friend had to pay ~$1100 for repairs]"

He will be checking this thread for the replies, so any help on this would be really appreciated.

Thanks Guys
Rachit

Last edited by Rachit.K.Dogra : 24th April 2013 at 23:48.
Old 24th April 2013, 23:49   #2466
BHPian

Yes Cragis is the right place you could get rid off your old alloys, probably for a better price than the dealer offering.

What bout the spare wheel? Do you have a same size donut or plan to get alloy? Just wondering how you will deal if you had a flat(which is very rare i'm guessing, I have had like 1 flat in the last 3 yrs )

Quote:
Thanks, I did look at tirerack. Couldn't find the consumer reviews for different alloy brands, hence the query.

The model is Jetta 2.5
Quote:
Alloys are too much of a personal taste and hence you may not find reviews for all. I liked the second one more.

Use CL and Jetta forums to get rid of your old tires and rims. There are multiple forums that will help you get good price. Since its a popular model, you may get good calls from CL if you price it right.

I suggest you keep factory alloys instead of selling it. Helps in future when you are selling it. You can ask a little bit more because you have 2-wheels option. Negotiate an exchange of tires and wheels with local installer if they are willing to do it.
Old 25th April 2013, 00:00   #2467
BHPian

Jetta has full size spare. I don't have alloys on my model but steel rims.

I shall only be getting a set of 4 and retain the spare as it is. I believe i should be able to manage with spare tire in case of emergencies. Most of the manufactures these days don't provide full size spare alloy wheel.

Will check on Craigslist on how much used tires and wheels are going for. Retaining old wheels and tires is not an option for me due to limited space in my apartment.

Last edited by DexterMorgan : 25th April 2013 at 00:08.
Old 25th April 2013, 00:12   #2468
BHPian

Quote:
Honestly though, if your sis is gonna be there for a year or so, its better to spend $5k-$6k (Max $8k) and get a beater SUV from a private party. You avoid pay 10% tax, interest to banks, and money lost won't be huge when selling it a year later. .
10% tax has to paid to the BMV anyway. In case of a dealer purchase, the dealer collects it and gives to the BMV. It case of a private party purchase, the BMV collects it during registration.

In indiana it is 7%.
Old 25th April 2013, 00:23   #2469
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Hey Guys,

I am posting this on behalf of my friend who has recently moved to the US and needs help.

"Planning to buy / rent a used car in Phoenix. Intend to use it for at least 6 months. Low budget ~5K [as I am saving for a Motorcycle]
Prefer Toyota / Honda etc. Will it be better to rent ? [ $300 + insurance for 6 months for a 2001 Toyota , $400 for 2007 Altima ]. Will use it for daily commute to office only.
I know this has been discussed before, could some one point me to thread which explains the checks I need to do before buying a car and other points to keep in mind. [I am a little cautious as my friend had to pay ~$1100 for repairs]"

He will be checking this thread for the replies, so any help on this would be really appreciated.

Thanks Guys
Rachit
$400 for 2007 Altima as in 6 x $400 or just $400? If its the latter, why is he even thinking? Finding/Buying/Selling is going to be a much bigger hassle than just $400. I would go for the Altima. Its a much nicer car than any 2001 Toyota (ok not any but most ).
Old 25th April 2013, 00:38   #2470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post
10% tax has to paid to the BMV anyway. In case of a dealer purchase, the dealer collects it and gives to the BMV. It case of a private party purchase, the BMV collects it during registration.

In indiana it is 7%.
I think you are missing the Sales taxes that dealer charges, which is in addition to DMV fees. I think its around 10.75% or so for LA County
Old 25th April 2013, 02:50   #2471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In indiana it is 7%.
Not entirely true. Tax on sale by private party in Illinois - it is lower than dealer sales tax. Registration is what you would have to pay to DMV irrespective of who you buy from. That is usually a couple of hundred dollars.

Illinois has like very low taxes on private party sale - refer link - http://tax.illinois.gov/taxforms/Sal...eTax/RUT-5.pdf
However with a dealer, you have to pay 6, 7 or even 8% sales tax based on your address location.
Now, this rate is Illinois specific. Different states have different rates. You might want to look up.
Old 25th April 2013, 03:40   #2472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In indiana it is 7%.
I didn't pay 10% tax on my camry. I did pay a lot less for registration and tax but can't mention how. But it is very popular and common practice here and all of them are aware of it. Its not legal but it works.

Edit: It is 6% in CA tax when buying through private party. While if you buy from dealer, it comes out to be ~10% including registration, doc fees, tax and everything. Now you can play with those 6% too when you buy private party which you cannot when going through a dealer - small or big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks Guys
Rachit
Hey Rachit,

If it is only for 6 months, get in touch with good rental companies that do long term deals. They will give you a better rate. I think over 6 months, it will be more or less the same.

If buying cash, 2007 altima is one of the contender, get it eyes closed compared to 2001 camry. You will have more piece of mind unless the difference in pricing is huge. Is a commute through public transportation not possible for him? That would be a better option and rent a car on weekends for roaming around.

For advice on what to look for in a used car, most of the precaution is common and is excellently mentioned in the thread below

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...-india-21.html

Last edited by chevelle : 25th April 2013 at 03:53.
Old 25th April 2013, 13:47   #2473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Quote:
Thanks guys for your responses. I did some search on kbb.com yesterday and found out the following options (based on top 5 ratings) within 75 miles of Allentown, PA.
1. Toyota RAV4 (8.6)
2. Nissan Murano (8.6)
3. Chevrolet Traverse (8.5)
4. Nissan Xterra (8.8)
5. Toyota Venza (8.7)

Now some more detail on requirements which might help us narrow down the decision -
1. Money saving is not really an objective and she's willing to go to $22-23k (including taxes, registration etc.) provided they get a nice vehicle.
2. They wish to drive out on weekends and have a good time basically, so the vehicle should be comfortable and reliable.
3. The vehicle shouldn't also have a very bad resale value so that they end up losing a lot when coming back, my sister quoted that a damage of about $5-6k sounds about ok but anymore than that wouldn't make sense.
4. She also mentioned that Allentown means having to drive out for smallest of chores and since my niece is going to be with them then the vehicle should have ample space to put in her pram or trollies or big boxes out of shopping etc.
5. It snows pretty heavily in winter time so I assumed that a 4x4 or an AWD would make absolute sense from safety & ease of driving perspective. Also, ice formation on front windshield is pretty common so I'm assuming that'd also mean black ice on roads, another reason why an AWD (with traction control preferably) would make sense over a 2wd SUV or Sedan.
6. The city has a lot of uphill and downhill slopes/roads so in snow it would only get tricky with a non-AWD vehicle.
7. The mileage of the vehicle also shouldn't be so bad either that though they get a good vehicle, they end of spending a whole lot more on fuel only.
Old 25th April 2013, 15:09   #2474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
I think you are missing the Sales taxes that dealer charges, which is in addition to DMV fees. I think its around 10.75% or so for LA County
No, I was talking about sales tax only.

Quote:
I didn't pay 10% tax on my camry. I did pay a lot less for registration and tax but can't mention how. But it is very popular and common practice here and all of them are aware of it. Its not legal but it works.

Edit: It is 6% in CA tax when buying through private party. While if you buy from dealer, it comes out to be ~10% including registration, doc fees, tax and everything. Now you can play with those 6% too when you buy private party which you cannot when going through a dealer - small or big.

Nice, I wonder how much a difference is there in sales tax. Indiana is flat 7% whether private party or dealer- which I think makes sense. Because that promotes local businesses rather than private party. higher tax rates on dealers makes the business to go somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Not entirely true. Tax on sale by private party in Illinois - it is lower than dealer sales tax. Registration is what you would have to pay to DMV irrespective of who you buy from. That is usually a couple of hundred dollars.

Illinois has like very low taxes on private party sale - refer link - http://tax.illinois.gov/taxforms/Sal...eTax/RUT-5.pdf
However with a dealer, you have to pay 6, 7 or even 8% sales tax based on your address location.
Now, this rate is Illinois specific. Different states have different rates. You might want to look up.
With state tax & county tax and city of Chicago tax on car sales, Chicago is real expensive for dealer sales. At least Chicago guys need a break
with lower taxes on used car purchases.

Last edited by Jomz : 25th April 2013 at 15:18.
Old 25th April 2013, 16:49   #2475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Thanks guys for your responses. I did some search on kbb.com yesterday and found out the following options (based on top 5 ratings) within 75 miles of Allentown, PA.
1. Toyota RAV4 (8.6)
2. Nissan Murano (8.6)
3. Chevrolet Traverse (8.5)
4. Nissan Xterra (8.8)
5. Toyota Venza (8.7)
Amongst the above listed, the Xterra is a body on frame truck - a capable one at that - unless there are real plans to go offroad, you won't really need it. The Traverse is a 3 row crossover and it is huge, really huge. The Murano is the big brother of the Nissan Rogue - you get a larger engine and more space than the Rav4 segment 5 seater. Consequently, you have better refinement because of the 6 cylinder. Of course you take a hit at the pump with that. The Venza is actually a jacked up Camry. When I saw it last back in 2010, it had some horrible plastics for interiors. The RAV4 is the creator of the small crossover segment - you won't go wrong with most things - reliability, resale etc. with that. However, I also think the current king of the segment - in terms of sales, reliability, resale value - is the CR-V.

Also, to be very honest, all you would need in winter is a good set of snow tires and traction control on most modern vehicles will do the rest. But people buy AWD/4WD so that its easier without changing tires.
vineethvazhayil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks