Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 06:39   #736
Senior - BHPian

re: Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinadJoshi View Post
Every lender (credit union, bank, other financial organizations) offers what is called as a first time car buyer program. I believe these programs too offer competitive interest rates and payment plans, and may be worth investigating during a purchase.
There often are college grad car buying program and first time buyer program (typically with the manufacturers financing arms) - Is definitely a good bet for little or no credit folks to try. When I picked up the Jetta in 2010, I got it on one such program - Foreign Executive Program from VW credit.
Old 20th March 2012, 06:45   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Every lender (credit union, bank, other financial organizations) offers what is called as a first time car buyer program. I believe these programs too offer competitive interest rates and payment plans, and may be worth investigating during a purchase.
I was first time buyer. i still got 6.99% interest rate with experian of 706 on a pre owned car. Quite high imho.
Old 20th March 2012, 10:55   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Whoa, when I read your initial post, I thought you mentioned the tundra in jest. if you need a roomy SUV, get a ford expedition, chevy suburban, or even Toyota sequoia.

But then again, if your heart is set on Tundra, none of this is going to stop you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Tundra is really good option if you are on the move and/or doing business where you need the bed most of the time. In your case you can go equivalent of Tundra and get a full size SUV if space is a major criterion. Say Escalade, Sequoia, Tahoe, Grand Cherokee and likes.
Guys, those SUVs are kinda outside my budget except for Cherokee maybe.
Sequoia (how the hell do you pronounce that, btw??) is a whopping 20 grands more expensive than 4x4 CM 5.7L V8 Tundra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
I totally agree with this. Stay away from a V8 especially when buying new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
@amitoj - fuel prices are rising. So yes, getting an SUV for the room is one thing but you'll be paying a lot at the pump.
Arre kya yaar. Even in US i will have to worry about fuel prices
Gulf countries are probably the only ones left where one does not need to worry about the fuel prices, but i am not going to end up there ever. And if in US I can't drive a V6/V8, then where can I?

I have been mentally prepared here in Bangalore for petrol prices to hit 100 to a liter before this year is over.

By the way, Mohit, are you still in Toronto?

Guys, once i land up in US, i will be in a company provided accommodation for two months. In those two months, I need to find a house or an apartment (preferably around Nashua, NH) and move there. I am assuming that in the initial few months, i will need something that has good carrying capacity.

Over a long term, we will be making a lot of trips to Toronto as well and there is a strong possibility that in 2-3 years, we will move to Toronto or thereabouts.

So, given all this flux and movement, dont you guys think i would need a vehicle bigger than a cross over etc? If not, then what would be an ideal vehicle for me, in the Tundra budget?
Old 20th March 2012, 18:30   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Gulf countries are probably the only ones left where one does not need to worry about the fuel prices, but i am not going to end up there ever. And if in US I can't drive a V6/V8, then where can I?

I have been mentally prepared here in Bangalore for petrol prices to hit 100 to a liter before this year is over.

By the way, Mohit, are you still in Toronto?

Guys, once i land up in US, i will be in a company provided accommodation for two months. In those two months, I need to find a house or an apartment (preferably around Nashua, NH) and move there. I am assuming that in the initial few months, i will need something that has good carrying capacity.

Over a long term, we will be making a lot of trips to Toronto as well and there is a strong possibility that in 2-3 years, we will move to Toronto or thereabouts.

So, given all this flux and movement, dont you guys think i would need a vehicle bigger than a cross over etc? If not, then what would be an ideal vehicle for me, in the Tundra budget?
Yup still in Toronto. One more small piece of info if you are planning to move North in the future. Gas prices even higher than US here ($1.35/L as I type) .

I don't see how you need something larger than a crossover unless you are planning to haul large pieces of furniture etc. If that's the only need, go U-Haul for a day! A crossover will be spacious enough to swallow everything else.

If you want something bigger, look at Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Mazda CX-9 or similar vehicles. They are not as sedate looking as the cross overs but are not as thirsty as full size SUVs. You should be able to get one on a Tundra budget. Each has a decent V6 (250 Bhp+) so there will be enough power on tap and they are very good highway cruisers. One plus side is that these seat 7 (Rearmost seats fold into the floor if not needed) so it'll come in handy if you have some extra people to drive around.

Last edited by mohit : 20th March 2012 at 18:31.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 18:31   #740
Senior - BHPian

Yes, price wise, you have a point, but you are getting a truck, not a car.

keep in mind that you can always rent trucks from u-haul for 19.99 a day, so don't let occasional load carrying capacity affect your purchase, unless you were talking about yourself

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 20th March 2012 at 18:41.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 18:59   #741
BHPian

Quote:
G

(1) Having a bigger vehicle has no bearing with ease of mobility or geographical location, if I am hearing your concern correctly.
(2) If you have a family to transport, you are better off with an "SUV" over a "Pick up". In simple words, if you have a family, you need a 'trunk' in the back, not a 'bed'.
(3) If fuel prices are irrelevant, then sky is the limit. A Tundra - considering the national average of 15000 miles per year - will drink ~1000 gallons per year. Hopefully $4K to 5K a year in fuel expenses per vehicle isn't a concern.

Having said all that, if your mind is set on the Tundra, go for it. You always have the opportunity to change your mind if things don't work out...Tundra today, Escalade tomorrow, hybrid Prius later...this is a buyers market

Just a passing FYI, the last I looked, the Toyota Tundra was often placed behind the Ford F150, GMC Sierra and the Chevy Silverado, and even the new Dodge Ram by various third party agencies. (Check US News, Consumerguide, Edmunds, Autotrader etc.)

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 20th March 2012 at 19:19. Reason: Typo
NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 19:47   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you want a V6/V8, I suggest you pick up an old muscle car or even something like a Jaguar XJL8, one of my colleague has one, he bought it for 6.5k & its a V8 with lots of space

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post

I don't see how you need something larger than a crossover unless you are planning to haul large pieces of furniture etc. If that's the only need, go U-Haul for a day! A crossover will be spacious enough to swallow everything else.

If you want something bigger, look at Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, Mazda CX-9 or similar vehicles. They are not as sedate looking as the cross overs but are not as thirsty as full size SUVs. You should be able to get one on a Tundra budget. Each has a decent V6 (250 Bhp+) so there will be enough power on tap and they are very good highway cruisers. One plus side is that these seat 7 (Rearmost seats fold into the floor if not needed) so it'll come in handy if you have some extra people to drive around.
+1

Quote:
keep in mind that you can always rent trucks from u-haul for 19.99 a day, so don't let occasional load carrying capacity affect your purchase,
+1
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 21:12   #743
Senior - BHPian

You guys are too practical.
I will have to hide this thread from my wife

But jokes apart, i guess i can wait a bit before going for something like a tundra.
Old 20th March 2012, 21:29   #744
BHPian

You sound just like my friend. After spending a year in US he decided to get a vehicle and was all set to get a truck. He mentioned it to his fiance in India and she was aghast! She would not marry a truck driver!

Once they got married and she came over, she saw what he meant by "truck". Apparently the word conjured up images of the Tata behemoths that ply on the roads in India and hence she forbade him to buy it. She now dreams of SUVs/trucks and drives the Civic he bought instead!
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 21:47   #745
Senior - BHPian

Frankly speaking, honda pilot or toyota 4runner with a trailer hitch will take care of most of your hauling needs. I have friends who bought trailers to bring the game animals home when they go hunting.

I rather prefer a storage box on top or a storage box that mounts on hitch, than pull another axle or two.
vivekiny2k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 22:27   #746
BHPian

Quote:
You guys are too practical.
I will have to hide this thread from my wife

But jokes apart, i guess i can wait a bit before going for something like a tundra.
"You guys are too practical." --> comes with the mileage and the bit of grey hair that has begun to appear over the ears recently, mate. Sorry to have dampened your spirits if I/we may have. It is your dough and it is your heart. Go by it.

I'm reminded by myself of the frumpy pseudo-wise Corsican villagers from "Asterix in Corsica", who do nothing but sit in the village square and offer authoritative wisecrack opinion upon anything and everything.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20-asterix-corsica21.jpg  

Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-20-asterix-corsica26.jpg  

NinadJoshi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 22:39   #747
BHPian

Trucks are awesome
Attached Thumbnails
Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America-colorado-2011-053.jpg  

Old 20th March 2012, 22:54   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
"You guys are too practical." --> comes with the mileage and the bit of grey hair that has begun to appear over the ears recently, mate. Sorry to have dampened your spirits if I/we may have. It is your dough and it is your heart. Go by it.
I had said that in jest only.
I am in fact very glad about the alternatives that you all are suggesting. And I am thoroughly enjoying this process of considering so many different types of vehicles! From sedans to crossovers to SUVs to pick ups.
So, please keep the advices coming!

Quote:
keep in mind that you can always rent trucks from u-haul for 19.99 a day, so don't let occasional load carrying capacity affect your purchase, unless you were talking about yourself
Whaddaya think i am! Obelix??

Last edited by amitoj : 20th March 2012 at 22:57.
Old 22nd March 2012, 01:27   #749
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From sedans to crossovers to SUVs to pick ups.
So, please keep the advices coming!
If you're really interested in a pick-up, then there's only one I would go in for -> Ford F-150 SVT Raptor.
Old 22nd March 2012, 03:19   #750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
If you're really interested in a pick-up, then there's only one I would go in for -> Ford F-150 SVT Raptor.
Yup... they say each Raptor sold causes gas prices to go up by 10 cents nationally

A wise friend once told me, no matter how many horses you have under the hood, you are still good enough only for 80 mph before the cops cop on you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks