Team-BHP - Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/7893-buying-owning-driving-maintaining-car-north-america-7.html)

Very detailed reasoning. Thanks for the heads up.

Let me re-phrase my earlier post ever so slightly. $5k wont get you much of a car anyway, not a jap car atleast. If you don't intend to keep the car for too long(1-2 years), I'd suggest looking up craiglist and shortlisting from what's available from USDM or JDM.

Also, you could post your own classified on craiglist describing your needs and current situation.

One more option is looking up for a Suzuki Esteem/Baleno. Late 2000-2001 models go for about $3200 here in Seattle. Pretty reliable car IMO.

ot: Afraid that you are so far off, otherwise my friend is selling his chevy cavalier, 2004 model with 55k miles on odo for 5k. His reason for selling is he's moving to NYC in 1st week of feb.

2000+ Ford focus could also fit well in your budget.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz (Post 701423)
As mentioned in my earlier post I can't extend by budget beyond 5k. There are other things in life to take care of.

dude I got what u are saying ...u have some restrictions, we understand.
but in the long run or even after 6 months down the line if u have to spend on repairs which cost 1000$ u end up paying the same amount.
So what is better ?
(a)buy a cheap car + definately spend on repairs + hope nothing goes wrong
(b) buy a expensive car + maybe spend on repairs + hope nothing goes wrong

Quote:

So it happens even with the low mileage cars. Low mileage need not mean a maintenance free car. Used car is a jackpot at the end of the day. Like every used car buyer I just hope I'll get the best "like 2008" car clap: and it'll serve me for a year's time at least.

I don't know if the reason to opt for a >100k accord/camry is a lure of bigger cars or not, but i certainly know that my needs for own transportation far outweigh all other factors like low mileage, high resale value etc. and these are the only decent used cars that are available "right now".

Obviously even a 20,000 mile old car can be possibly badly mantained
as compared to a 120,000 mile car .. but take a wild guess, which one will definately require more servicing/relacement ?
In none of my previous posts I have mentioned high resale value.
My main reason for suggesting a low mileage car is relaibility..

Quote:

Lets see what Firestone guys have to say about the accord and most probably that car would bring down curtains on my used car search in US for now.

best of luck and be very particular about the Auto transmission, ask the firestone guys to pay more attention to this, this is something which will cost nearly more than the price of the car if it has some issues.

Im suggesting all of this based on my experience here, I help my friends mantain/service/troubleshoot their cars ...sort of their offical:) mechanic
I sort of "look after" 10 cars and all of them Japs ..Honda,toyota,nissan etc

best of luck:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by chetanhanda (Post 702310)
Im suggesting all of this based on my experience here, I help my friends mantain/service/troubleshoot their cars ...sort of their offical:) mechanic
I sort of "look after" 10 cars and all of them Japs ..Honda,toyota,nissan etc

best of luck:)

Hey Chetan make it 11 please:. Now I know whom to look up to if something goes wrong with my car. Thanks for all those suggestions guys.

I bought the Honda Accord yesterday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz (Post 703616)
Hey Chetan make it 11 please:. Now I know whom to look up to if something goes wrong with my car. Thanks for all those suggestions guys.

I bought the Honda Accord yesterday.

congrats ..
no problem maan :)
put up some pics in the gallery section when u have time ..

if you already haven't, try looking at car rental companies site, they keep selling their at stock below KBB prices, plus they inclue 1 year warranties at times.

similar offers you can get from some dealers on ebay, though for 500-1000 more as u mentioned but keep looking.

AND, buy it before people start getting their tax returns, prices will slightly go up then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 703690)
if you already haven't, try looking at car rental companies site, they keep selling their at stock below KBB prices, plus they inclue 1 year warranties at times.

similar offers you can get from some dealers on ebay, though for 500-1000 more as u mentioned but keep looking.

AND, buy it before people start getting their tax returns, prices will slightly go up then.

Cars bought from rental car companies have the most thrashed and abused engines for any given mileage!!
Ex-rental cars are best avoided...

Dude!

From my point of view..u r in U.S so go for the cars you always dreamt of driving. Let the Firangees know you are there ;) what say ? lol:

Accord. As you said, well maintained. Keep changing the motor oil per schedule and you will get 2-3 years out of it with little trouble.

I'm moving to Carlsbad for 6 months can anyone tell me which car should i rent and why?

zip code: 92008

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndianDawg (Post 841132)
I'm moving to Carlsbad for 6 months can anyone tell me which car should i rent and why?

zip code: 92008

Why would you rent one for that long?

It depends on your budget and needs
For example if you will drive a lot inside city, the Nissan Altima Hybrid($$) or the Civic hybrid is a good option.
If you like jeeps you can get one for same price as a compact if you bargain.
You can also get a Mustang for < 25$ a day but fuel will kill you.

If you like to show off you can rent mercedes also.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 841205)
It depends on your budget and needs
For example if you will drive a lot inside city, the Nissan Altima Hybrid($$) or the Civic hybrid is a good option.
If you like jeeps you can get one for same price as a compact if you bargain.
You can also get a Mustang for < 25$ a day but fuel will kill you.

If you like to show off you can rent mercedes also.

Give me some leads. I need to rent a car on Sunday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralfibre (Post 841214)
Give me some leads. I need to rent a car on Sunday.

If you are buying Loss DAmage waiver(a must do if its not your company who is giving you the car) you always get a free upgrades.
More so on weekends.
1. Do not go to Avis or Hertz. Go to Dollar.com and book your car from the airport. Book the cheapest car you can, forget about class
2. Go there and be nice, take LDW, and ask for a mustang or a jeep, if you are pleasant with them more often than not, you will get a higher end car for same amount. The only time I paid more for a rental was when I made the foolishness of booking from AVIS. Infact I booked twice from avis because I booked through a website where you put in a rate and they don't tell you which car or dealer until you pay, like hotwire. Don't do that.
3. Another option is enterprise rent a car, but they are closed sunday
4. How long a booking are you planning. The car of choice at Dollar if things get full is the Dodge Avenger, you can bargain for a charger and get a cool RWD

MF, if it is a short term rental, I'd suggest get in touch with Hertz and rent a Mustang GT-H. I would want to ride in style if it is a rental and not renting for a long time.

Rest it's upto you if you want to go the economy way or "hope" for an upgrade depending on the rental company's mood.