Team-BHP - Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/7893-buying-owning-driving-maintaining-car-north-america-8.html)

am ready to pay like 700-800$ per month. I checked hertz dont have too many options besides hertz any other car rent companies in california?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rev_hard (Post 841224)
I'd suggest get in touch with Hertz and rent a Mustang GT-H. I would want to ride in style if it is a rental and not renting for a long time.

They're also renting out a Corvette for a limited time (surprising as they usually stick to Ford).
Renting a Hertz Mustang or Corvette won't be a breeze compared to their other choices. They're very particular about renting these out - lots instructions, disclaimers, etc. etc.

Wonder if they still rent Jaguar, as it's not a part of the Ford Motor Company anymore.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndianDawg (Post 841469)
am ready to pay like 700-800$ per month. I checked hertz dont have too many options besides hertz any other car rent companies in california?

As Tanveer said, you'll get a better price from Dollar compared to Hertz or Avis.
For an Economy rental you're looking at around $600 per month (+/- insurance and other expenses).
For Luxury / Premium rentals - around a $1000. $2000+ for a Mercedes.

Actually from dollar, you will pay 30$/day for a midsize(Charger) which is including LDW and Insurance.
On Indian license, you " need" insurance. Its 12$/day.
In case if LDW its your choice.
A mercedes C class has arond 30$ LDW from enterprise.
A Mustang has 14$(but I paid 9$ which is same as a economy),
It pays to make a good relationship with the rental center. A smile and small chat always helps.

Can anyone throw pointers how should I go about in getting a USED car in CA, USA? I know this is far better than buying in india. Not sure about the market overthere. Prefer a high visibility/space/safety/mpg.

Any help on the dark area would be of great help?

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamalakannan (Post 895898)
Can anyone throw pointers how should I go about in getting a USED car in CA, USA? I know this is far better than buying in india. Not sure about the market overthere. Prefer a high visibility/space/safety/mpg.

Any help on the dark area would be of great help?

Assuming you are on the lookout for a sedan, either a Honda (Accord/Civic) or a Toyota (Camry/Corolla) can suit your requirement at a decent price, visit yahoo autos for pre-owned cars availabile near your area.

@ Kamalakannan - To be able to help you out, we need to know your budget and what you need the car for. One suggestion please don;t go for an accord/camry, you'll be another indian driving that (There is a world beyond honda/toyota, I promise !!!). If you have a 10k budget, I would suggest you get a 2002 bmw 3 series, Let me know more and I can tell you more, I have been in the states for 6 years and bought and sold several cars.

Yeah sedan would do. I did visit yahoo autos even before posting. Would like to use it for a 2 years and then move on from then. Would like to try my hands on some vehicle first (successful model). Initially I would be constrained by budget may be half the value specified by spawnofsatan or even lesser. At the least for next 2 years it should give good mpg/low maintenance/safety. Even it has run more miles no issues provided it was substantiated by authorised replacements(servicing)/single owner/good condition.

What part of usa are you going to be in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by spawnofsatan (Post 897207)
One suggestion please don;t go for an accord/camry, you'll be another indian driving that (There is a world beyond honda/toyota, I promise !!!)

At his stated budget he is well advised to become another Indian driving a sensible, dependable Honda or Toyota. Both cars are excellent choices. Oh yeah, if you want to get downright stodgy, and dependable, check out Subaru. It's unsung and it's pretty good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirWind (Post 897131)
either a Honda (Accord/Civic) or a Toyota (Camry/Corolla) can suit your requirement at a decent price

You can't go wrong with either of these.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spawnofsatan (Post 897207)
If you have a 10k budget, I would suggest you get a 2002 bmw 3 series,

Please don't - unless you're looking for a bucket of bolts.
What're you trying to do spawnofsatan - trying to live up to your name and drive the chap bankrupt? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamalakannan (Post 897367)
Yeah sedan would do. Would like to use it for a 2 years and then move on from then. Would like to try my hands on some vehicle first (successful model). Initially I would be constrained by budget may be half the value specified by spawnofsatan or even lesser. At the least for next 2 years it should give good mpg/low maintenance/safety. Even it has run more miles no issues provided it was substantiated by authorised replacements(servicing)/single owner/good condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 897932)
check out Subaru. It's unsung and it's pretty good.

Strongly agree. Subarus run forever and ever. Probably won't match a Honda on the mileage front but won't drive you bankrupt either - a nice Subaru Impreza or Legacy sedan.

Other sedans to consider - Please note that older models of these cares will come cheaper.
Compact Sedans: Honda Civic, Ford Focus, Mazda 3, Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac G6.
Midsize / Fullsize: Acura Legend, Nissan Maxima, Mazda 6, Chrysler 300M, Chrysler Concorde, Dodge Intrepid, Acura 3.2 TL or CL (but these won't be within your budget).

Older models still -> Dodge Stratus [or Chrysler Cirrus (older), or Plymouth Breeze (oldest)], Chrysler Sebring. Both of these are pretty lackluster, but cheap and will get the job done.

Just for kicks - I'm going to put in the Dodge SRT-4 (Neon).

Quote:

Originally Posted by DirtyDan (Post 897932)
At his stated budget he is well advised to become another Indian driving a sensible, dependable Honda or Toyota. Both cars are excellent choices. Oh yeah, if you want to get downright stodgy, and dependable, check out Subaru. It's unsung and it's pretty good.

You can't go wrong with either of these.

Yeah ofcourse you can't go wrong with those, thats why everyone drives them, but those are not the only dependable cars, think outsie the box !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by aah78 (Post 899279)
Please don't - unless you're looking for a bucket of bolts.
What're you trying to do spawnofsatan - trying to live up to your name and drive the chap bankrupt? :D

Yeah BMW's are a bit more expensive to fix than hondas and toyotas, but if well maintained they can run forever also, its a matter of maintenenace, a while ago I bought an '89 BMW 525i to use as a daily driver till i could buy something better, the car had 180k when I bought it for 1600 and then sold it a year later with 210k miles for 2600. Yes I did all the scheduled maintenance and used only synthetic oil, the car is now owned by this guy who was in my class and he has put another 25k miles on it in the last 2 years, still runs great !!! So when I say get a BMW I am saying it from personal experience.

@Aah78 - If you mess with me one more time see what happens to you, haven;t you read my SN? :D

Hmm guys.. My accord's odo turned 288K miles on the last long weekend
I just used it for only one month- did 3K miles on that month.

I did a long michigan(upper peninsula)- Chicago trip, around 900 miles to and fro, that too on the last big july 4 weekend

It almost made it.. but blew the alternator 40 miles away from home on the return leg. Reached home on the batteries

Still I'm satisfied.. I hope that I can post the accord odo pics over here after she turns 300K old.

Accord for me anyday as a daily driver.

Btw a vid of the car on the last july 4th weekend in Chicago. Didn't feel like it has done 288K ??

YouTube - My 1991 accord On the Ilinois tollway

and again as per the GPS the max speed was 101mph

Again why doesn't anybody lok into jeeps?? 1995-99 (Cherokee, wrangler, Grand cherokee) are available starting from 2K onwards and they run long. I've seen many of them going above 160K.

OT: Jomz where do you goto school at? I went to central before I transferred to LA.

I go to some school called Michigan tech.. it is in the upper peninsula of michigan
Don't ask me how I landed up in the middle of the forests :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jomz (Post 900344)
I go to some school called Michigan tech.. it is in the upper peninsula of michigan
Don't ask me how I landed up in the middle of the forests :-)

Hahaha, I know, I got accepted there MSU and UofM but I picked Central (I know!!) because the girls to guys ratio there is 6:4 !!!!!!

It must be horribly cold there in the UP and not to mention full of racist people :OT