Team-BHP - Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Buying, Owning, Driving and Maintaining a car in North America (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/7893-buying-owning-driving-maintaining-car-north-america-9.html)

Yeah Kinda racist & patriotic... Driving a Honda to a local workshop gives queer looks

And the Honda looks lost among hordes ofGrand Am's, Grand Prix's, Dodge Ram's,Jeeps, GMC 1500's and all.. the only Jap which has UP's approval is Subaru

Queer place... I'm stuck here because I already have my project running cannot transfer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jomz (Post 900634)
Yeah Kinda racist & patriotic... Driving a Honda to a local workshop gives queer looks

And the Honda looks lost among hordes ofGrand Am's, Grand Prix's, Dodge Ram's,Jeeps, GMC 1500's and all.. the only Jap which has UP's approval is Subaru

Queer place... I'm stuck here because I already have my project running cannot transfer

Yeah I know, I went there a few times (to the UP) and hated it, if you goto a big city like NYC or on the west coast you will see the difference in cars, I barely see a pontiac and gang here....which is a good thing !!!

Pontiac is like the old amby.. It breaks down really often but any garage can fix it, It'll be on the road within a day. The UP way of life..

Try to buy direct from owner (preferably first owner) Check carfax and make sure it's got a clean history. No accidents means you'll be able to sell your car quicker.
Get the car checked by pep boys os someone similar.
Something else I've realised( too late) is that while selling, you'll lose a similar amount in money terms irrespective of the cost of the car. But a $8000 car will be more reliable than a $3000 car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by midlifecrisis (Post 908125)
Try to buy direct from owner (preferably first owner) Check carfax and make sure it's got a clean history. No accidents means you'll be able to sell your car quicker.
Get the car checked by pep boys os someone similar.
Something else I've realised( too late) is that while selling, you'll lose a similar amount in money terms irrespective of the cost of the car. But a $8000 car will be more reliable than a $3000 car.

I agree !!!

One more thing I have learnt is carfax does not show everything, even if the carfax report is clean the car could have got into a accident and just not been reported. Take the car to a bodyshop too and they can do a quick inspection.

8000$ car??? In that budjet you can go for Certified Preowned from the dealer itself.

hey guys lots of refined information than what i have far sure you guys are impacting my car purchase a lot. Thank you all. So is subaru all the way to go ????? in Orange County although i did'nt even find one so far.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamalakannan (Post 909261)
hey guys lots of refined information than what i have far sure you guys are impacting my car purchase a lot. Thank you all. So is subaru all the way to go ????? in Orange County although i did'nt even find one so far.

Why didnt you mention you were in So Cal? I can personally help you here, PM me and I can send you my number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by midlifecrisis (Post 908125)
But a $8000 car will be more reliable than a $3000 car.

Not necessarily.

I've bought a Nissan Altima 1990 in ME for under 2500USD with 143k kms on the odo.

Its the 4th ownership but it has a service history which is brief but points towards the basic maintainence of the vehicle. I have maintained a thorough log and service parts change over period of last 6 yrs.

The vehicle has now clocked 219k kms and is as good as miantence free with the timely oil / filter changes
but i have changed the timing belt, tensioner bearing, serviced the AC, changed the clutch - done all these repairs / service costing under USD 800.

So I would not hessitate to pick a car even if it has more than 250K as long as it has
service history
basic look of car external and engine bay
a drive feel
above all first preference TOYOTA COROLLA
then Altima, Sunny, & Camry

my personal experience if you are on a budget!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 841675)
Actually from dollar, you will pay 30$/day for a midsize(Charger) which is including LDW and Insurance.
On Indian license, you " need" insurance. Its 12$/day.
In case if LDW its your choice.
A mercedes C class has arond 30$ LDW from enterprise.
A Mustang has 14$(but I paid 9$ which is same as a economy),
It pays to make a good relationship with the rental center. A smile and small chat always helps.

Hi
Am gonna be there for 6 months and I am a Gujurati who wants to save money through good mileage. I cant decide which car I shoud go for as I have a good lack of knowledge about foreign cars.
Besides that within 500-600$ including insurance is possible then its great. I am not keen to buy any specific car or any high end car as my purpose is to travel and not having a good ride but I need the car in a good condition and if possible, latest model but I don't mind even if its a Fiat :)
Thanks

Are you going to be renting a car there for 6 months or are you leasing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 934959)
Are you going to be renting a car there for 6 months or are you leasing?

Renting car for 6 months cause it covers insurance if I am not mistaken.
Why what do u suggest :)

With insurance the cheapest you can get it 700$/month
The most FE cars are Aveo/cobalt and Honda Civic
Try dollar.com for Civic and Avis/Hertz etc., stock chevy's
Where exactly in california are you going?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 935176)
With insurance the cheapest you can get it 700$/month
The most FE cars are Aveo/cobalt and Honda Civic
Try dollar.com for Civic and Avis/Hertz etc., stock chevy's
Where exactly in california are you going?

Thanks.
I'm going to Carlsbad, CA. Yeah I have checked out Aveo and Cobalt but didn't notice about Civic. I heard you get cheap rates at auto rent at San Diego. I think Civic is a very good option and with 700$+insurance sounds good to me.
But I want to know from all of you as you all are experts in automobile, which car (FE Car) would you rent?

carlsbad is just about 20 miles north of where I live in San Diego. Hit up dawg once you are here. if you give me a specific budget all inclusive of taxes, insurance, misc charges and gas cost you are willing to incur, i'll try and find you some real time info around here.

welcome brother